• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Who can I call now that UPS just lost my rifle?

raider1v1

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 16, 2010
Kansas City, MO
Long story short, I sent a rifle back to its manufacturer for some work, they completed it and sent it back to me. UPS says its lost. Normally its a one day transit time. I called UPS after four days and requested that they open a case since it appeared lost. I called UPS for an update today and they say "Yep its gone, contact the shipper."

I sent the shipper an email and have full confidence they will work with me to correct it. They are always top notch.

What i want to know is who can I call at UPS to get someone to do more than a cursory check. It REALLY annoys me that UPS gave exactly zero shits it was lost. They 'conducted a thorough investigation' in under 24 hours apparently.

The manufacturer is small, and they dont make that particular model anymore.

I looked on the ATF's website for guideance, and it says that since im not an FFL, the shipper would be the one to file the paperwork.

I don’t see how the shipper has any responsibility in this after UPS took possession of it. Second, if all you got was a “yup it’s lost” call back and talk with management as there are laws that ups must follow.

👆
Especially concerning firearms!

Hopefully the shipment was insured? I think the shipper needs to file the claim, not the recipient

Reactions: supercorndogs
Yeah. I had a friend who got falsely charged by the local sheriff and tried to get his guns back for over a year after he was acquitted. He ended up calling the ATF and had his guns back in a day. He never got the silver coins back that they confiscated from his safe though. The cops stole those so he just got a check.

Reactions: Trapshooter12
First Call Would Be The Sheriff Department To Report It Stolen,Second Call Would Be ATF.. I'll Bet It Will Show up In Record Time..

This thread might help, @bachelorjack seems to have UPS dialed.

I'm not sure but most shipping companies REQUIRE the shipper to file a claim.
They paid for it, they will get any insurance dollars.

post master general for your state and good luck .

I don’t see how the shipper has any responsibility in this after UPS took possession of it. Second, if all you got was a “yup it’s lost” call back and talk with management as there are laws that ups must follow.

The shipper has responsibility for filing claims related to loss or damage, as they paid for the service. That's simply the way that things work.

As BFC suggested, getting law enforcement involved will likely hasten resolution of the situation.

Reactions: buffalowinter
It’s not like they lost a beanie baby in shipping.

Ups sucks. We use it to ship parts alot.. been trying to use FedEx more but we are getting issues with them also.
I wish DHL did regular stuff. My office manager is fighting with both of them almost every other day

I doubt it was lost, my bet is that it was stolen by a UPS employee. Ever wonder why handguns are required to be shipped by next day air? Firearm theft if so rampant at UPS and FEDEX that they require next day shipping to reduce the time it is available to be stolen by their employees.

Last edited:
It's all on the shipper to correct. It is the shipper who has to deal with UPS since it is the shipper who must file the insurance claim. This is how it works. You can call and nag UPS since you have a tracking number, but ultimately, it is the shipper who will have to send you any money. (apologies E. Bryant, I didn't see your post first go-round, you are absolutely correct.)

Sorry to hear, but as other mentioned, you can't do much on your side with UPS. The sender has to do that.

It's all on the shipper to correct. It is the shipper who has to deal with UPS since it is the shipper who must file the insurance claim. This is how it works. You can call and nag UPS since you have a tracking number, but ultimately, it is the shipper who will have to send you any money. (apologies E. Bryant, I didn't see your post first go-round, you are absolutely correct.)
And hopefully the shipper insured it. I cant imagine sending anything of value, especially a firearm, without insurance.

Thanks guys. I figured that's all I could do. I left a message on the atf line, but doubt I'll get anything from it.

I 100% think it was stolen vs lost.

UPS can find where the item was delivered, if it was delivered. If it was not delivered, it was, in fact, stolen in transit by a UPS employee. Happens way more often than UPS (or FEDEX or USPS) want to admit.

Reactions: HD1911 and Bartt
Friend Owns A Small Shop Here In North Ga. AS Most Know Ammos Is Crazy Hard To Get. And Their Shop Is Closed On Monday 's .. They Had a Case Of 9MM Coming..Fed X Was Supposed To Deliver. Cameras Shows At 9.32 A.M. The Driver Pulls Up.He Get Out With His Clip Board.And Stands Around Till 9.36A.M. Then Gets Back In and Leaves.. Tracking Shows Package Was Delivered At Thier Door Before Noon.. This Is The Second Incident.As They Had a Higher End AR Go Missing For Day Or So..Till They Called Sheriff Report It Stolen And ATF.. AR Was Their The Next Morning. Surprising They Found It...May Get Interesting On The Ammo As He Said. Next Time The Driver Came Back In He Was Gonna Take Him Out Back..

Guns get stolen in transit all the time. Generally by a transport company employee, obviously...

Insurance claims are under the control of the shipper, not the recipient, so it's up to the shipper to file that claim and deal with the ATF, etc. From your end, though, really isn't a lot you can do. As long as you are justly compensated for your property, just be happy you didn't get screwed. If you do get screwed, though, about the only hope you'll have is via litigation and typically litigation just makes two losers instead of one -- one of those if I'm screwed might as well have company kinda things.

It's the shippers responsibility no matter which carrier that is used. Like others have said, call the ATF, they usually can get much faster serive than anyone else.

My buddy experience something similar, UPS said can’t find his package (rifle). He filed a police report the same day and told UPS. Next day UPS found this package and delivered to his FFL.

The last thing UPS wants to deal with is a federal matter concerning a lost firearm.

UPS "lost" a 22 rifle that my brother had sent in to Remington for a recall. It was on its way back to him when it was "lost".

When he told the local distribution center it was a rifle they lost, they immediately went looking for it.

About a year later the rifle was found and returned to him, and the driver responsible for delivering the rifle and manager of that distribution center were fired.

It's the shippers responsibility no matter which carrier that is used. Like others have said, call the ATF, they usually can get much faster serive than anyone else.
I don’t know if this is really the carriers’ policy or not, but I have recently filed claims as the receiver with both FedEx and UPS in cases where a package seemed to be lost, and filing a claim seems to result in the initiation of a more rigorous investigation. In the 3 instances I have done this, the package showed up within a couple of days of filing the claim. Also, it seems like “signature required” and HazMat packages are the ones prone to being “lost.”

for any firearms package got lost in transit, first thing is to file police report. You never know some criminals took it and committed some serious crime.

I shipped a rifle back to a customer through FedEx insured. Because it was through my account, and I created the label, tracking info on my end is a little more detailed. I was able to track the package as the driver said it was delivered. When I called and told FedEx it was not delivered, the driver then claimed he didn’t deliver because the address didn‘t exist. Called FedEx and verified the customers address was good. The next day got a notice that FedEx initiated an unauthorized address change (only shipper can do that) and delivered the package across town from the customer. What was worse they left it without getting the signature. Called the customer and he drove over and found the box inside an apartment security office. Security refused to give him the box. Customer said he was going to call PD and security guy gave up the box.

Now for the really fun part, called FedEx and jumped their shit about the unathurized address change and their driver delivered a $3500 rifle to the wrong address. I never told them the customer recovers his own package. Once they were told what was in the box and the value, and I would be calling ATF they got real involved. I let them sweat for a few days before I told them the customer recovered his package. Turned out the driver and the security guy had done this same thing several times in the past. They would steal stuff with high insurance value never knowing what was in the box.

Ill see what ups comes up with, but right now after talking with multiple "managers" in claims they give 0 f's. They tell me a claim check has already been sent.

I left a message for atf, didn't get a call back yet.

post master general for your state and good luck .

1612885903522.png