• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Who else loves Texas country music?

Add to the list, but all my favorites have already been listed above. You could also add Hill Country Jane, though.

Old fart here: Bob Wills!

A famous piano player, back in the day, from the Houston area was Moon Mullican. He had even wrote & performed some songs with Hank Williams when the latter was just starting out.

• Love
Reactions: Moe Ron
Those were some of the guys that started the whole thing along with Waylon, Willie, Freddy Fender, Michael Murphy, all the guys from the "Cosmic Cowboys" days.
Exactly.
Now I don't particularly care for JJW's newer stuff, like one of my buddies on the Deepwater Horizon said "He went all Hawaiian an shit." He even bought some kinda island resort or something, close to Belize maybe? Not that I got anything against Jimmy Buffet style music, it just don't fit my idea of Jerry Jeff Walker/Texas music.

this is now just a texas music thread.

by the way, that "new" country shit is trash...

Country music is trash.

Long live metal (they are from Texas)

Watched Cross Canadian Ragweed sing lots of Pantera! They opened for Keith Urban at a downtown Boise venue while Reckless Kelly played some dump across town. We figured we’d go watch Reckless and drink. CCR played their show then came down to the dumpy bar we were at and jammed with RK til the bar shut down. Awesome night!

Reactions: MilChad
Jack Ingram
The Great Divide/Mike McClure
Ernest Tubb

+1 on Ernest Tubb.

His son, Justin was also born in Texas.

He does this duet with a lady also from Texas. An MC at a concert could not pronounce her birth name but presented her as Goldie Hill. The name stuck.

I could never figure out why a nice girl like her would marry a guy like Carl Smith when his womanizing was so well known.

Barbara Mandrell is from Houston.

Don't forget Tex Williams who was born in Murvaul, Texas.

George Jones was born in Saratoga, Texas.

Leann Womack is from Jacksonville, Texas.

Reactions: MilChad
Not that a lot of these folks aren’t great and from Texas, but imho, the line between being from Texas and playing “Texas country music” is pretty significant. Nashville can produce music sang, played etc by Texans that is plain ol bastardized country. Totally different music. There’re exceptions, of course... I was disappointed when Pat Green went Nashville.

Cody Jinks and Whiskey Myers in my heavy rotation......along with old real country(Merle, Hank, George, Charlie, Conway, etc) new real country (Ben Tod, Colter Wall, etc)

Tyler Childers was in my rotation strong until he got sober woke and skinny jeaned. F him.

Reactions: Anb618
Pat green, Cory morrow, django walker, jack Ingram use to be cool but he is a sellout POS, max stalling

Thanks for the input, I’ve added some great artists to my rotation.

Rest easy Ray Benson.
EDIT!!!!
Ray Benson is still alive... thought he died last year.so... that’s awkward..... swing on ,Ray....swing on.

Last edited:
This, but add Jimmy Dale Gilmore because he has such an odd but beautiful voice.
I don't listen to a great deal of country music these days, but I'm a big fan of Jimmy Dale Gilmore. His voice can be an acquired taste for a lot of folks - I think he just sounds traditional.

Here's one of his compositions that he sang with Emmylou Harris --

Last edited:
Reactions: Maggot
I got tired of shitty modern country radio a few years ago. I spend a lot of time in the car, and I basically just use Pandora now. Looking through my relevant channel’s curated history from the past few days;

Cody Jinks
Tyler Childers
Colter Wall
Randy Rogers Band
Cross Canadian Ragweed
Muscadine Bloodline
Whiskey Myers
Bart Crow Band
Cody Johnson
Turnpike Troubadours
Casey Donahew Band
Charlie Robison
Seven Miles South
Matt Mason
Uncle Lucius
Chris Knight
Jason Boland & the Stragglers
Eli Young Band (their pre-radio stuff)
Dean Brody
Kyle Park

I’ll edit at the end of my shift to add some more as I listen to my channel the rest of the night.

I got to go see Cross Canadian Ragweed twice before they split up. Wish I’d been sober enough to remember the first time (showed up late to the pre-game party, drank entirely too much whiskey) but the second concert was awesome. 😂 Got to see Casey Donahew Band at Joe’s on Weed Street in Chicago a few years ago and they were awesome.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jgunner
It's hard to take these "country singers" seriously when they are singing about "red neck, dirt road, po'country boy, hard working, beer drinking, honest living"........while they Are driving around in Bentleys and wearing $300 jeans, and a pair of Jordans....

Fucking panderers

No different than the "studio gangster" rappers who rap about killing and the thug life ...but they grew up in Beverly hills......

The only current country singer who I know is a legit "country boy" is Riley Green......and that's only because my wife was friends with him in HS, and she's from podunk Alabama....

Ray Wylie, Gary P, the lost Gonzo band was Jerry Jeff's band back in the day.my daddy's brother Bobby, played bass for them . Latter rusty weir too, he had some good set around the campfire, drink and play box guitar stuff. Good times. I remember being snuck into whiskey river nightclub and setting at backstage table with some of them, opening act for Willie, he came in off the bus and set at the table next to me before walking on stage. That old beat up guitar was a site to see even back then. What memories you guys dug up. Thanks!

Reactions: mtrmn
Ray Wylie, Gary P, the lost Gonzo band was Jerry Jeff's band back in the day.my daddy's brother Bobby, played bass for them . Latter rusty weir too, he had some good set around the campfire, drink and play box guitar stuff. Good times. I remember being snuck into whiskey river nightclub and setting at backstage table with some of them, opening act for Willie, he came in off the bus and set at the table next to me before walking on stage. That old beat up guitar was a site to see even back then. What memories you guys dug up. Thanks!
xxxxx

Last edited: