• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Who has built a rifle on the 80% lowers?

seanh

Fucktard Ring ldr
Banned !
Minuteman
Sep 7, 2011
Houston, TX
Who builds 80% lowers?

I’ve looked through here and haven’t found much discussion on 80% lower builds…maybe I’m just not using the search function properly.

What I’m looking for is information regarding issues that have come up.

Lowers that you don’t want to use

Issues that come up with using the drill press method- (I’ll have an xy vice/table)

I don’t have too many details that I can provide since the lower was a gift…though can provide manufacturer soon.
(seems the only thing that isn't done is the trigger pins, trigger cutout and fire control cutout)

Re: Who has built a rifle on the 80% lowers?

After buying the proper jigs for drilling trigger pins, etc, it ends up being a fairly expensive project. If you could work out something where you could split the cost between a few members and pass it on in the pay it forward section, that would help others out.

I've got a buddy that bought the jigs so that isn't an issue.

Not too worried about expense as the jigs can be divided between the lowers...got at least 7 5.56 and 4 08 lowers to build. And like any gunsmithing tool, you have it for future use. Kinda like buying that new saw when you build a deck...you'll use that saw many times later, just suck it up and buy the part.

I don't mind the time...that's not the issue. As an exgunsmith, I'm well aware of time spent on personal projects. What I'd like to know is what "gotchas" there are.

i built 5 so far these last 3 years, they take a hell of a long time to finish but all work 100%.
I have a few left to do too.

why so long? What type of problems?

Also, who makes the most heavy duty lower (thickest wall)?