• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Who has gone back to a Harris?

I have both and use both. V8 and 5h, br and tall Harris. All have served their purpose and none have let me down.

All I have ever used is the Harris and they have never given any reason not to trust them.

I have a couple of cheaper knock offs I use on 22lr and AR's that have been solid to, made by Caldwell I think.
Imitation is the simplest form of flattery.

Shit, I might have a harris laying around if someone wants it. You mean the old Harris Assault Vest issued by the army prior to Molle? Camo and has slanted mag pockets? Probably have the vest but I'll be keeping the belt if that's okay.

I'd just need something for shipping, I can stick it in a flat rate priority box. If I actually have it, which I think I do.

I prefer the old LBE suspenders and that's what I used as a SAW gunner. It was easier to get in the prone with those. Snipers used 'em too. Most riflemen used the Harris or later the Molle vest. There are better more updated options though.

Uh, yeah, I feel like an idiot. Somehow I got the idea you guys were talking about damn Harris vests, not bipods? Must have been tired or something. I feel like a tool. So I do have a Harris VEST if anyone wants it.

Yeah, I like the Harris bipods and I can't say if I've necessary gone back, I've always used 'em. It depends for what though, the only Atlas I use is on an SR25 and the .50 has an LRA on it, that's a DAMN nice bipod and the best one out there IMHO. I wanna say they made a smaller one? Even the "tactical light" is still a big bipod. But for the .50 it is PERFECT. The SR could have gotten by with a Harris easy but I went with Atlas because everyone said they were so nice. It has it's perks, yeah, but I actually prefer a Harris if it'll work. I originally got the Atlas because I figured it'd take a harder load before giving but I still feel like it'll break if I push too hard. That won't happen with the LRA though.

I still dig Harris for AR's, 10/22, pretty much anything the size of or smaller than an SR25. SR25 is about the cut off for me, anything bigger needs more support IMO. Gotta get that Pod Loc though, those ought to come with the Harris! Best little upgrade there is.

Reactions: S12A
@47guy

I’m looking to buy an Atlas CAL, what exactly gave you issue with deploying the Atlas? I’ve used a Harris before and found it very usable, just would like to hear about your particular problem with the Atlas.

the atlas is a nice solid bipod its just not for me...also as someone mentioned a lot depends on the intended use of the gun.

the atlas legs are a pain in ass to deploy and retract because of the little push button system they are also a pain in the ass to extend with the air fitting type of adjustment for the notched legs.

so say your on a barricade then have to go prone then have to adjust the leg height then back up on the barricade all on the same stage in 75 seconds with 3 rounds from each position...

with the harris i can jam the legs into the barricade after my last shot pull up on my rifle and the legs drop then when i need to adjust the height i just reach up push the button a cant the rifle when i go back to the barricade i just pull my rifle back and the legs fold up.

i honestly never actually gave the atlas a chance but IMHO the atlas is not going to be as fast as the harris no matter what

also you can buy adaptors to run atlas feet on the harris https://www.coreshooting.com/collections/precision-rifle-components/products/harris-bipod-adapters

and adaptors to mount direct to a pic rail...theres a few different types if you look around but these are the best....https://www.shortactionprecision.co...ris-bipod-to-rail-mount-qd-conversion-adapter

Last edited:
Reactions: PBWalsh
And why?

And if you stuck with a Harris through the Atlas wave, why?

Contemplating this myself.

Never had an issue with my Harris BRM-S with Pod Locs and never saw the cost to benefit adding up for me with an Atlas. I am sure they are well made and people like them but I never saw a need. I like the quick deployment of the Harris and it holds my rifle plenty steady and where I need it to be. Have used the Harris on many rifles in matches and also for fun on a rifle up to a 408 Chey Tac shooting to 2500 yards. Just happy with the Harris performance for me.

So basically they incorporated a qd attachment and a wheel instead of a podloc and charge more than double the cost of the baseline Harris they use? Not knocking it, just seems to be really high priced for what you get. What am I missing over going with a podloc and qd mount?
Yeah I don't think they were that much $$$ when I bought mine. The integrated rail mount is nice and low profile and then you don't have to worry about that stupid stud loosening up

Oh and that knurled knob Larue uses sucks. Pod loc is much better.

Harris 6-9BRMS podloc.

Tried 2 Atlas.

Sold both Atlas.

Harris for the usual reasons. Easier to deploy/fold, lighter, less than half the price, with pod lock better cant IMO.

Also, Harris is great for rifles with sling studs without having to add unnecessary railing.

I prefer the kac rail adaptor for the harris over the others. Very fast and easy with the push button. I have about a half dozen harris, of various heights and configurations.

I have had a few of the older atlas bipods, and currently have a spigot version for my ai, and a cal. I like the cal a whole lot.

The atlas is probably the nicest built bipod on the market. It has a bit more versatility for various positions, and it is stronger then the harris. The harris is faster for prs type comps.

I use both, I like both, but I prefer to use the cal over the harris whenever I can.

Also, Kasey is a great guy, running a great company, with great employees. That doesnt mean anything for performance evals, but I am biased and think very highly of those guys. They are not ones to sit on their laurels, and i expect to continue to see great stuff from them.

Reactions: Geno C. and lash
I have never ever seen a legitimate situation where I needed to use the legs in the 45 degree forward position. Backwards yes, but not forwards.
I've done it a few times off a bench but never prone

lol the lack of hand eye coordination in this thread is impressive...

really tho...before all the prop beating bags (game changer/fortune cookie/udder/etc), barricade blocks, and stops...i could wax a harris on certain props using the angles/cant/load flex of the atlas to lock in on things like barricades/pipes/rooftop edges...all the heavy bags that can make almost everything a flat, wide free recoil surface really reduced the amount of variation use my atlas sees now

I've done it a few times off a bench but never prone

Fair enough.

The situations where I needed to get it lower, I've always tilted them backwards. I can preload better with them backwards than forwards. But that's personal preference.

@47guy

I’m looking to buy an Atlas CAL, what exactly gave you issue with deploying the Atlas? I’ve used a Harris before and found it very usable, just would like to hear about your particular problem with the Atlas.
I have a CAL and I have a Harris. They are both quality bypods but the Harris stays in the safe and the CAL lives on my rifle. I like the wider stance and get better stability from the CAL. The only advantage of the Harris is that it deploys faster. I have had zero issues deploying the CAL. You just have to push a button on each leg. Some people like the harris because the legs are spring loaded and you don't have any buttons to push.

Reactions: PBWalsh
I run Harris on the semi's then Atlas on short action bolt AI's. The ELR stuff I use LRA it handles the heavier long action AI's.. They all work as I need them to.

really tho...before all the prop beating bags (game changer/fortune cookie/udder/etc), barricade blocks, and stops...i could wax a harris on certain props using the angles/cant/load flex of the atlas to lock in on things like barricades/pipes/rooftop edges...all the heavy bags that can make almost everything a flat, wide free recoil surface really reduced the amount of variation use my atlas sees now

Its not about eye to hand coordination it’s about making precious seconds count when time is short...if you can deploy or fold up your atlas as fast or faster than a Harris I’d love to see the video

Harris. Have a few, seemed to be the "standard" when purchased. As a result, I've never had a reason to use anything different. They work, and well. I like the way my sbrm fits my AR; add a little tiny keymod stud, and with the fat aero handguard, it forms well to the bottom half of the fore end and stays put.

This is probably why I use my atlas a lot. I don't do all the bags to beat the props. Rear bag and an atlas is all I use.

Also, I have no problem shooting small with the atlas forward at 45.

Reactions: Stpilot12
And why?

And if you stuck with a Harris through the Atlas wave, why?

Contemplating this myself.
I went to a GG&G for about a while, but I was shown that a Harris does much better in the follow through, and as light and sexy as the other brands are, its hard to beat the price. I shoot better with a harris all day long. Sure, if someone wanted to send me an Atlas, I would try it, but Harris, or the Larue modified Harris is the tits.

Reactions: deersniper
I’ve played with all the Atlas models, never seen the point to buy one. They are way cooler and the machining is awesome. But functionally, it cost more to do the same thing my Harris Bipod do.

For a long while I've only had one scoped target rifle and it has had an Atlas the whole time. A year ago I built a 223 clone of it and bought a Tip Top (don't laugh) Harris clone from Amazon. I figured for $90 including a pod-lock type pan/cant system and a QD pic attachment how could I go wrong. It seems very well built but the hard plastic feet on it made me hate it and ended up buying another V8 for that rifle. So the Harris knock-off has been sitting on the shelf all this time.

Last weekend I shoot my first PRS club match and can't fail to notice how much easier, fumble-free, and faster Harris bipods seem to be when going from prone to obstacle to prone. I figured, hell, I have one of those. Then I remembered the hard, slippery feet on my Harris clone. So I take off one of the feet and measure the leg OD: .375". That's when I remembered that McMaster/Grainger/MSC all carry plastic and rubber leg tips, and I found some on Grainger's website.

The tips came in to my local Grainger store yesterday, slapped them on, and hit the range. The results were really surprising. Now that the feet actually grip, loading a Harris type bipod isn't any harder than an Atlas. On top of that it seemed that the rifle was a little easier to control in recoil.

So now I'll run a Harris on one rifle an an Atlas on the other, and see where this goes.

So I started with an Atlas PRS and recently picked up a Harris. I liked the Atlas for its stability but wanted to try something that I could lock the cant. Missed the Atlas CAL sale, was looking at a >3 month wait I think, so ordered a Harris/Badger Ordinance LPMH (BRM-S with pic rail attachment and cant lock) to try.

Took it to the range for the first time today. Definitely faster to deploy and extend the legs, but I found while pre-loading that the feet rotate so I wasn't able to place any forward pressure on the rifle at all; the whole rifle just shifted forward. I got around this for the time being by using the bipod rest (sewn in webbing) on my shooting mat, which I don't normally need. I have the PASS foot adapters on order which should fix the issue, will update when they get in.

Additionally, I found an Atlas CAL on the PX which I picked up. Will be out shooting next weekend to ~800 yards on family land. Gonna take the Harris and Atlas CAL out, will be able to directly compare the 2 in the field (literally).

If your rifle moves from a slight load then you aren't loading but pushing the rifle. Loading is a very slight pressure. Almost no more than just putting rifle into shoulder. Never had a Harris move from this. A lot of people overload and need straps on mats and spikes to hold the rifle. You shouldn't need all that.

the first real bipod i purchased was an ATLAS. I like it fine, I do not care for the way the feet "roll" on varies surfaces. Im sure there is a fix for this, but its not enough of an issue for me to find said fix. The second was a Harris, with an addition of the pod lock and was worth the few extra bucks. IMO the Harris is perfect for me, no frills no thrills just function. Easy on, easy off, super fast deployment, cheap, easy to find at most gun shops, oh and did I mention how cheap and solid the bipod is.

Its not about eye to hand coordination it’s about making precious seconds count when time is short...if you can deploy or fold up your atlas as fast or faster than a Harris I’d love to see the video

You don't need to fold it up faster. Proper stage management.

When I was still using an Atlas bipod on my PRS rifle, I don't think there was a single time that I wished that I had the Harris bipod or at least the ability to fold up or deploy the bipod quicky.

With proper stage management, it's a non-issue. I own Harris, Atlas, LRA and a Ckye-Pod for bipods, and they are all great for certain purposes. But the fast deployment argument is a bit of a joke IMO.

I agree with Rob - people have a tendency to over-load their bipods.

For the Harris, Ckye-Pod and LRA, I put barely any forward pressure into the bipod. For the Atlas, I use a slight reverse-load.

You don't need to put a lot of pressure into a bipod. It's more important to apply the fundamentals: straight behind the rifle, NPA, trigger control and follow through etc.

You don't need to fold it up faster. Proper stage management.

When I was still using an Atlas bipod on my PRS rifle, I don't think there was a single time that I wished that I had the Harris bipod or at least the ability to fold up or deploy the bipod quicky.

With proper stage management, it's a non-issue. I own Harris, Atlas, LRA and a Ckye-Pod for bipods, and they are all great for certain purposes. But the fast deployment argument is a bit of a joke IMO.

mmm ok if your able to "manage" your time on a stage with a very short time and you have to move then your doing better than most...ive seen ppl fumble with atlas bipods and it cost them...granted they may not have practiced enough with it but still cost them.

Have used both. Right now I find myself using the Atlas PSR the most. Hate the rotating legs on the V8. Either going to sell it or buy PSR legs to adapt on.

As for using the legs in the forward 45 position. Actually just did that yesterday shooting off my car port roof and bagged two piggies. Combination of down angle to target and roof slope, couldn’t get a good position with the legs vertical.

I posted this response in another thread like this not too long ago.

I've been an LEO SWAT Sniper for the last decade. I just sold my last Atlas, and have Harris on all of my rifles now. The main reason for me, is how much faster you can deploy the Harris. The Atlas is a quality piece for sure, but as this question continues to come up, I think its just a personal preference.
We just outfitted our team with Desert Tech rifles and they all have Harris bipods on them.

Harris, one bipod with pod-loc for seven rifles for seven years. I should have one in reserve but I don't. Can you say cheap? TRG-42 with TRG bipod that are perfect together.

The Harris came on the second rifle I bought. I looked at it and thought it wouldn't last a week. It looked like a Rube Goldberg design with M3 materials. Instead it is extremely hardy and a brilliant example of engineering and production.

Last edited:
I recently was about to make the switch from Harris to Atlas when my Harris swivel bolt broke in half when i was tightening it. Waiting on Harris to email me back... If they don't I will definitely go with Atlas

Just call them... (270)334-3633 (HARRIS ENGINEERING)
They have sent me out parts I've needed in the past no questions asked.

Just call them... (270)334-3633 (HARRIS ENGINEERING)
They have sent me out parts I've needed in the past no questions asked.

Same here

Harris is a very small company that does a lot of business the old fashioned way. A quick conversation does wonders.

Reactions: tomcfc11
Yah I originally did the contact us on the Harris Bipod website but they sent me the phone number to the actual manufacturer. Called it and they said no problem we'll send it out. But between the Kentucky accent and my use of a Canadian postal code we'll see if it makes it to my location.

Yah I originally did the contact us on the Harris Bipod website .

...and thus, your problem is explained....

Harris Engineering does not have a website and never has.

A fellow named Emilio from CT purchased the domain name of HarrisBipods.com. He locked that down and is running his business through that site. Simple case where someone is making a killing off of a domain name that has nothing to do with his real business.

He does sell legitimate Harris bipods but almost all of the other accessories sold on his site are knockoffs of other company's work. Those accessories are also presented to look like they are Harris manufacture or at least endorsed by Harris when they are not.

99.9% of the sales made through his site are done so with the purchaser thinking they are buying from Harris.

Accordingly, you were taking the long road (wrong road) to resolve your issue and threatening to abandon the brand pending a reply from someone other than the manufacturer.

./

Reactions: S12A
...and thus, your problem is explained....

Harris Engineering does not have a website and never has.

A fellow named Emilio from CT purchased the domain name of HarrisBipods.com. He locked that down and is running his business through that site. Simple case where someone is making a killing off of a domain name that has nothing to do with his real business.

He does sell legitimate Harris bipods but almost all of the other accessories sold on his site are knockoffs of other company's work. Those accessories are also presented to look like they are Harris manufacture or at least endorsed by Harris when they are not.

99.9% of the sales made through his site are done so with the purchaser thinking they are buying from Harris.

Accordingly, you were taking the long road (wrong road) to resolve your issue and threatening to abandon the brand pending a reply from someone other than the manufacturer.

./

Well "Emilio" did email me promptly with the correct phone number for the actual manufacturer. So I do appreciate his fast response. That is the great thing about myself living in Canada. I can abandon any brand I so choose for any reason I want. But thankfully Harris has some amazing customer service that will enable me to continue use of their products and promote their brand to my friends and co-workers.

Last edited:
If you're actually shooting with the legs at 45 forward, your accuracy is most likely crap. There's simply no way to load them at 45 degrees and the front of the rifle is essentially sitting on a spring. It's bipod hop on steroids.

Running the legs forward is gay. Gayer than Elton John and Samwell buttfucking on a rainbow gay.

Folks were getting good accuracy long before "Loading the Bipod" was a thing... just FYI...

I have a Harris brms with pod-loc and Larue OD mount love the Harris but IMO the Larue OD mount is a pain in the ass & sucks shit, if you are going to use it on multiple rifles it is either too tight or too loose & needs to be adjusted every time, if you don't have the Larue adjustment wrench you're screwed, have been looking at the RRS HC Pro Clamp or RRS Harris Clamp Adapter with SOAR lever release. As far as the Atlas have never used one just don't know why I would pay double the $$ for something that maybe works better but probably not, going to stick with the Harris.

Thank you all so much for this thread. I just got another Harris last year at a time I'd never heard of the Atlas. Based on all the Atlas talk, I was beginning to think I'd made a bad choice. I am wanting a quick release picatinny bipod which is why I came here today. After reading all this, I think I'll just get a quick release mount and use one of my existing Harris'

Any thoughts on this : http://www.harrisbipods.com/RBA.html

RBA6.jpg

I went Atlas initially, and then went to Harris and have not looked back. Atlas was too slow to adjust and deploy compared to the harris, needed two hands to extend the legs.
Im trying to picture this - how do you use/need 2 hands to extend the legs? Grab the leg w/ pinky, ring, and middle finger, pull down collar w/ thumb & index.

Reactions: Geno C.
If you're actually shooting with the legs at 45 forward, your accuracy is most likely crap. There's simply no way to load them at 45 degrees and the front of the rifle is essentially sitting on a spring. It's bipod hop on steroids.

Running the legs forward is gay. Gayer than Elton John and Samwell buttfucking on a rainbow gay.
This is completely untrue

I’ve shot with Harris and Atlas bipods for years and recently received a Magpul Bipod. It’s an impressive setup for $110. It’s very solid, feet don’t roll, deploys easily, and has lots of cant and pan adjustment. The only immediate drawback is not having the ability to lock legs at 45 deg.

Harris is all I’ve ever use.
http://harrisbipods.com/Bipods.html
K.I.S.S.
Adjustable legs extend
from 9" to 13" with Leg Notches.
"S" Series - (Swivels)price $106.50

Why wouldn't you go to Triad Tactical for the same bipod at $94.00 or OTM Tactical for the same bipod at $94.00 ? Lots of places have better prices than Harrisbipods.com. Just sayin.....

Reactions: spife7980