• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Who here hunts with their designated precision rifle?

Bakwa

Prophetic Marksman
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Mar 22, 2017
    FL
    I'm planning on hunting with my Tikka CTR 6.5CM this year. It's light enough to be a "do all rifle". In the past I've hunted with everything from a 300blk to a 45-70, but this is the first year that my primary hunting rig will be the same as my primary range gun.
    Anyone else running anything similar?

I hunt with my SRS Covert, its the only gun I need.
    2hx3eig.jpg

wgswo3.jpg

Last edited:
    I have hunted with some tacticool rifles. I prefer not to unless I know I will be in a box with some cover between them and me. Too long, too heavy.

I'm not rich enough to have nice hunting rifles and nice precision rigs so mine pull double duty. Love my tikka ctr for deer and my SPR comes out for coyote, etc.

I made a decision a while back to start using all my gear more. I don't care if some of it is over kill. It's fun and that's why I use it.

Reactions: Wyzrd
    I've hunted with my 19.5 lb 7wsm more than a few times.
    this year I'm going dedicated hunting rig/truck gun in 30 Herrett AR to save weight and beat the shit out of.

This year will be the first I hunt with my precision rifle but that's just because in previous years it was out of commission as I upgraded parts, not because I didn't want to use it.

I antelope hunt with my precision 6 creed and precision 300 norma. Which rifle I choose to use depends on range to animals and conditions.

These hunts are not back pack hunts. These hunts are hunts we can set up prone and take longer shots than would with a light weight rifle. My third rifle in the truck would be a light weight 6 creed if a stalk is the play, which i prefer on all bucks.

Due weight of the rifle, I would not consider my precision rifles on a mountain back pack hunt.

Reactions: WoobieJ
    I hunt with my FN SPR with a Vortex GEN II scope , NOT a mountain/pack in set-up but works great on a ATV and hike in type hunt . I will most likely use it on my unit 2-B November Deer hunt here at home in NM as most foot travel will be four miles or less depending on road closures .

Mine pull double duty . Walk in further then most are willing in the WMA's, and on the private properties with climber. Climber with stand clothes (am a sweat hog ) and small ruck with bino, range finder, food, water, misc gear strapped and bungees corded to.Then get to yank all that 22-30ft up into the tree after climbing with my climber. I keep swearing I'll buy a sling for either every year lol.
    .308 in the W3
    .260 in the McMillian -20lb with can,bipod,10rnds

Attachments

• photo72014.jpg
      photo72014.jpg
      191.3 KB · Views: 155
    • photo72015.jpg
      photo72015.jpg
      191.5 KB · Views: 136
    • photo72016.jpg
      photo72016.jpg
      145 KB · Views: 155
    Well, maybe not a Precision Rifle, but a few years ago I bought a Mann Device from the CMP Auction Sight. Its an 18 inch heavy 1/5 inch Kart Barrel on a Remington 700 Action in 5.56.

For those who don't know, the Mann Device is the device the Army issues to ammo suppliers to test military ammo. Its suppose to lay in V blocks and fired remotely.

Anyway I was testing some 223 Ammo and it shot this group, 20 rounds at 100 yards.

Mann%20Group1.jpg

So trying to figure out what rifle to use for Antelope this year, wife says if that shoots so well, why not use it. I though that was a dump ideal at first, but then, Why Not.

2.JPG

I had to put it in a modified stock to be able to use it. Not what you'd call a conventional hunting rifle but who cares.

Mann%20in%20stock.JPG

Hornady's 70 gr. GMX seem to shoot well in my ARs so I'll try those, plus its legal in Wyoming where 22 cal CFs have to be =/> 60 grs.

Only problem is its one heavy sucker.

I'll save my 1868 Springfield Trapdoor, 50-70 for deer.

Reactions: Wyzrd and thejeep
    I hunt with mine, I wouldn't go mountain packing with it. I do have a lighter contour barrel and stock that I can swap for the mountain hunts.

I hunted with mine a bit last year when sitting on our buddy's field but didn't get a chance to shoot at anything. Would have gotten a deer with it if I took it to my stand but I wasn't to keen on hiking a 20# rifle up a 250 ft steep ridge at 5:30 in the morning then having to hike it a mile back to the house dragging a deer. It becomes even less appealing when at that stand 150yds is a long shot.

I have on several occasions with my 16lb 6.5WSM. But i'll be perfectly honest. I don't have to hike as much as most of you gents. If I did, my go to rifle wouldn't be 16lbs I can tell you that.

t

Reactions: kimberyote
    i hunt with my precision rifles and have for years. if you make the effort to do things to mitigate the weight its really a non issue. one thing is to use the tab biatholon sling that puts your rifle in the center of your back...back pack style. leaving your hands free to do whatever. i am not a mountain guy tho and there's definitely is a difference

I'm blessed with some open farms to shoot/ hunt on & have gone prone behind 15-19 lb. rifles. But that's easy access in rolling terrain, so weight doesn't really matter.

Built a box blind this summer, so figure I'll 'christen' that with my (14 lb.) 6x47L in November. Also, 1/2 mile easy "walk to" access. In our woods stands on the mountain, my 8.5 lb. 6x454AI is alot easier to wield offhand, or behind the tree. Plenty good for <150yd deer killin' from a ladder/hang on/ climber etc.

For 'out west' backcountry hunts, no friggin' way would I drag a big bitch rifle around. My 9.5 lb. (fully loaded) 6.5SAUM is as much as I'd care to haul @ 2 miles above sea level...

I like to LR hunt with my tactical setup but have to say I'm strongly considering moving to a hunting rig because of weight and size. Yes, the tactical rifles are very accurate and repeatable though exerting on the user a high toll. Toting them along long hikes is a nightmare.:eek:

Reactions: Wyzrd
    I have a shorter/lighter barrel chambered in the same cartridge I swap onto my LR receiver in an otherwise lightweight setup for mountain hunting. I use a 3-round magazine instead of a 10 round. My 2lb Nightforce is on QD rings so it gets changed to a lightweight, fixed, medium power scope. Saves me ≥ 4 lbs all together.

I've got a buck tag and a few elk tags that I'm planning on using my Desert Tech on....pictures to follow hopefully.

In my early 40s I carried my 27" TRG42 in 300wm up and down mountains hunting deer, no big deal just need to be hunting fit. These days (50yrs) its more my knees don't like the hills rather than the weight of the rifle. I tend to sit on the side of a hill, glass and shoot. Comfortably able to take sambar deer at 500m or up close with this gun. Further if opportunity arises.

I have used mine across fields in the southeast for whitetail, coyotes, and hogs and I'm about to test how well I can carry it for distance. A group of us headed to NW CO for pronghorn on Tuesday. All but one will be using PRS rifles (6.5 CMs and 243). There's going to be a bit of hiking but after some training I don't expect it to be an issue. I'll report back on how it goes.

The below rifle is 16lbs. It's an Accurate Ordnance 6.5CM pushing factory ELD-Xs, which it will do all day sub 1/2 MOA. I also loaned out two rifles weighing 15 and 16.5lbs. We spotted the below goat right at 1,000 yards. After walking to within 550 the kestrel was showing the wind changing from 12 to 20ish. I am not at all accustomed to shooting in this kind of wind. Crawled to 460, and I still felt too uncomfortable with the wind to take the shot. Another 100 yards on my belly and I could get no closer without being spotted as the group of pronghorn were on a hill just above me. Finding an opening in the sage I was fortunate to get a decent prone position, then bang flop. The other two guys had similar stalks before taking theirs, both using a tripod.

The day before we spent 3 1/2 hours stalking a much larger goat that wandered onto BLM land about the time we got set up to take him. The gps said we had covered more than 3 miles during that time. The three of us never once wished for a lighter rifle. However, next year I'll be in Alaska for mountain goat and covering some significant vertical distance. I will take a 9.5lb rifle for that. [IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/i.imgur.com\/wZAy3yL.jpg"}[/IMG2]

Last edited:
    I pack a Remington 5r in 308 that weighs about 15lbs. Walked 30 miles up and down some steep shit elk hunting last year. It's heavy, but you get used to it. Just got done packing it for about 8 miles in one morning trying to get on a monster antelope.
    65f016ad22ee05096c7f86930d727438.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I split between my AXMC 338L/300N and my Blaser 300 win. The AXMC is amazingly easy to put it where it belongs out to 1200 in decent conditions. However, I must admit, my little 21” 300 win Blaser stays right with it out to 800, barring windy conditions (190 smk vs 230 otm in the 300N). This year I took two antelope between 550-565 yards with the AXMC. Nice bull @ 561 in his bed with the Blaser and a WT doe @ 20 yards in her bed. 4 tags to go, splitting time between the AXMC and Blaser on a Mule buck currently...I am no weakling but I am much more efficient with the Blaser on a crawl/sneak scenario.

i hunt with my precision rifles and have for years. if you make the effort to do things to mitigate the weight its really a non issue. one thing is to use the tab biatholon sling that puts your rifle in the center of your back...back pack style. leaving your hands free to do whatever. i am not a mountain guy tho and there's definitely is a difference

I' awaiting delivery of my TAB RAS sling and hope it works out for my pig of a rig ! I looked at the Biathlon and I don't think it would work with my pack !

I hunt with them all--Les Baer .264, DT SRS 6.5 CM, GAP 10 6.5 CM, AIAX 6.5 CM, TacOps X-Ray 66 300 WM. Haven't taken the TAC 70 on a hunt yet.

Do any of you use the flush mount sling swivel mounts with your sling that, (it looks like), would allow a person to carry a heavy rifle in the horizontal position in the lower chest/high stomach area??
    I always carry a back pack, and the only way I think I could make it work is by carrying in this method. I am thinking about getting a Tac A1 and going the heavy route for a season and see how that works. I hunt on the flatland in Illinois and a half mile in and back is usually about it. Thx.

I hunted whitetail deer in a tree stand this year with my precision rifle. Sightlines are out to about 300-400 yards in some stands, though I ended up shooting a doe at 60 yards. This upcoming year will be my first year hunting suppressed, as my Ultra-9 will arrive in the next month or so.

Old thread resurrected...

You should hunt with what you want, as long as it will humanely kill your quarry. Usually more a bullet issue than a rifle or caliber issue, but I'm sure you guys know what I mean.

The big issue for me, is that most precision rifles are very poorly designed for the hunting I like to be able to do. I like to walk far and spend days out in the field. That isn't the issue so much, as carrying weight is fine, though less enjoyable than carrying less weight. The issue is that at the distances I am willing to take a shot in the hunting field, the typical heavy precision rifles we use offer no advantage, and have other draw backs besides weight. A snap shot is close to impossible, if you actually know how to snap shoot. Standing shots are harder than they need to be, as are most other positions besides bipod, tripod or ruck rested. The scopes either don't go down low enough (not usually too much of an issue), or they don't have reticles that work well at low power. Not that they can't be used, but they are absolutely a disadvantage compared to scopes better designed for fast action. And that's really my issue with all this. yes, you can make it work, lots of people do. But, a purpose built tool will always be more effecient. Shooting for me is about hitting efficiently.

My two current favorite rifles that I have mostly for hunting is the Fix, and a Blaser R8. Neither is really light when all kitted up, though they can be. They are both extremely precise, and easy to handle quickly. Swap scopes and bipods, and they will hold their own with much heavier rigs. keep their scopes smaller and lighter, and ditch the bipod, and they handle very quickly. Purpose built, and definitely purposely set up, for whatever type of shooting you prefer.

Can't believe I never posted this.
    I ended up getting some good doe meat out of Alabama this last season. Got to take an impromptu "long" shot from the prone too. [220m]

Attachments

• Bamadoe.jpg
      Bamadoe.jpg
      890.3 KB · Views: 100
    • does.jpg
      does.jpg
      256.8 KB · Views: 100
    Do any of you use the flush mount sling swivel mounts with your sling that, (it looks like), would allow a person to carry a heavy rifle in the horizontal position in the lower chest/high stomach area??
    I always carry a back pack, and the only way I think I could make it work is by carrying in this method. I am thinking about getting a Tac A1 and going the heavy route for a season and see how that works. I hunt on the flatland in Illinois and a half mile in and back is usually about it. Thx.

I haven’t carried a precision rifle this way, but I hunt with a AR using this method, and I think that it’s by far the fastest-deploying, most comfortable way to carry a rifle while hunting. Just remember to put your left arm through the sling, so the strap comes over your right shoulder (maybe that’s intuitive for others, but seemed backwards to me, having been used to traditional rifles/slings).

Do you carry a back pack while using your sling in this position??

I have. Usually, though, just a turkey vest I use for general hunting duty.

The sling worked fine for me with a daypack, but I could see it being uncomfortable if your pack harness was bulky or rode high enough to force the sling onto the back of your neck.

I’ve got a Magpul MS4 sling, and I really like it. I’m considering trying one with a shooting loop, though.

I'm planning on hunting with my Tikka CTR 6.5CM this year. It's light enough to be a "do all rifle". In the past I've hunted with everything from a 300blk to a 45-70, but this is the first year that my primary hunting rig will be the same as my primary range gun.
    I don't own a weapon that has not killed something.

Not one.

-Nate

I hunt w AXMC in 308 Win for white tail, molies, antelope and hogs.

In a stand no problem w single sling and backpack.

For backcountry I use a biathlon sling or a gunslinger backpack.

How do you like hunting with the SRS?
    Great.
    It's a little heavy but super accurate and easy to shoot off hand. Some people say the AI is easier but I don't see that. A traditional rifles does feel more natural prone but the Dt does fine.
    great for going in and out of vehicles too. Only downside to the Covert is finding a clip on NV solution.

I hunt with my 260 that weighs 16lbs but I don't have the luxury of some of these hiking hunts. always wanted to go on one but I have not had the opportunity. South Texas hunts are as far as the sandera is cut or depending on the highest hill you can find.

But I think it wouldn't be a problem for me to carry it around. However, I do get to have some easy hunts on the Polaris with the Precision rig.
    IMG_1732.PNG

I installed flush cups on the side of the gun (did it myself on a Bell and Carlson) so I could use a biathlon style sling. A nice biathlon sling is on my wish list, but for now I'm using two nylon shoulder slings I sewed together to make a biathlon style rig. Wanted to test the concept to see if it worked for me before buying the nicer gear.

It makes a huge difference. For hunting, if you don't need to carry a pack on your back, then put the rifle there and you don't really notice a heavy rifle. Granted, I've tried to keep mine on the lighter side of precision rifles, but its still heavy. I've actually added some weight to it recently with DBM kit and another 12oz of scope because with this sling its no longer an issue. Hiked about 3/4 mile on shoes in waist-deep snow to get this one, rifle was on my back. No problem. Carrying his dead ass out, thats another story!
    IMG_2038.JPG

I hunt with my 700 if it's open ground. And my SCAR 17S if I'm in the brush. (The extra rail space has been removed. Came with the rifle. Never used it. I have also ditched the Grip Pod and use an angled handstop.)
    Three.jpg

SCAR pic.JPG

I don't own a weapon that has not killed something.

Not one.

-Nate

I second that. Every gun I own has killed an animal. Only exception is the one I picked up last week and that's just due to opportunity not presenting itself yet. It's going out for coyotes this weekend so that will hopefully change very soon.

Just this year I've taken out:

Barrett MRAD for coyotes at 800+ during the day
    Mk12Mod1 with PVS24 for night time coyotes that dont want to walk up to me
    M110K1 with PVS30
    Mk12ModH with PVS24
    2 different SR15 rifle setups

On the 'to do' list of shit to take out hunting:

Ak74 Krinkov
    M249