• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Who is making the best mag pouches for war belts?

dscl

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 12, 2021
Illinois
Looking to pick up some double mag pouches (5.56/9mm) for a war belt and there are a lot of options. In no particular order have: Tactical Tailor, Esstac, TYR Tactical and HSGI just to name a few. Just curious what the current thinking is on these and any other brands.

I had HSGI Taco's previously and they were fine but have since switched to Esstac. Cleaner design IMO, can be ordered in just about any combination, and haven't had any issues.

I would recommend going with 2 single mag pouches. They can be positioned together but offer more flexibility.

I had HSGI Taco's previously and they were fine but have since switched to Esstac. Cleaner design IMO, can be ordered in just about any combination, and haven't had any issues.

I would recommend going with 2 single mag pouches. They can be positioned together but offer more flexibility.
Im also not a fan of doubles. They stick out to far etc. Truthfully I hardly see anyone running doubles at comps or classes anymore

Im also not a fan of doubles. They stick out to far etc. Truthfully I hardly see anyone running doubles at comps or classes anymore

True -- I didn't even think about the stacking double kind with the pistol pouch on top of the rifle pouch. Great point. Avoid those for sure OP.

True -- I didn't even think about the stacking double kind with the pistol pouch on top of the rifle pouch. Great point. Avoid those for sure OP.

Thanks guys, the "class/comp" thing I'm doing requires 3 spare mags for rifle and pistol so I thought the doubles would be a good option for fitting everything on a belt. Time to rethink it.

It might be. But they suck to get the right mag fast and the second you get in a car you notice.

I closed the door on a training vehicle and the combination of my giant ass safariland retention holster and double HSGI was thick enough that the force broke the center console off the car.

Thanks guys, the "class/comp" thing I'm doing requires 3 spare mags for rifle and pistol so I thought the doubles would be a good option for fitting everything on a belt. Time to rethink it.
I’d go 2 pistol and 2 AR on belt. Then get this dump pouch, it specifically has built in pockets on the inside to store another AR and pistol mag while still being useable as an actually dump pouch. Best part is, it’s actually made to install behind one of your mag pouches on your belt so it does not take up any additional space on the belt.

Reactions: dscl
I’d go 2 pistol and 2 AR on belt. Then get this dump pouch, it specifically has built in pockets on the inside to store another AR and pistol mag while still being useable as an actually dump pouch. Best part is, it’s actually made to install behind one of your mag pouches on your belt so it does not take up any additional space on the belt.

Love this idea thanks.

Back to single pouches, any personal preference on brand? Tactical Tailor, Esstac, TYR Tactical, HSGI, etc…

Love this idea thanks.

Back to single pouches, any personal preference on brand? Tactical Tailor, Esstac, TYR Tactical, HSGI, etc…
If I was redoing my belt today, I’d go defense mechanisms. Here’s their pistol. Rifle one looks similar.

This is a single. They have a double side by side pistol one as well. I don’t mind that “double”. I just can’t stand when they stack on top of each other

Saw you are from IL. What part? I’m in central, IL

If I was redoing my belt today, I’d go defense mechanisms. Here’s their pistol. Rifle one looks similar.

This is a single. They have a double side by side pistol one as well. I don’t mind that “double”. I just can’t stand when they stack on top of each other

Saw you are from IL. What part? I’m in central, IL

Appreciate the links, Looking at the "made to order" notes makes me think I should have started shopping 6 weeks ago LOL

I'm up in Northern Illinois in the Lake/McHenry county areas.

G-Code is what I went with for a class. Very happy with them. I also bought a HSGI double mag pouch but like the G-Code better.

G-Code are expandable they will take any mag I've tried. AR, AK, M1A, Magpul .308. On either a micro chest rig or belt.

They are stackable if you want but I didn't want the bulk.

20220130_105431.jpg

Here's a bunch of Esstac on my ATS belt. L-R: Esstac double pistol (brown), Esstac double rifle/pistol (ocp), ATS dump pouch(ocp), ATS tear-away med pouch(brown, 10lbs of shit in a 5lb sack), safariland holster (rattlecan), Esstac single rifle (brown).

I have the Esstac double rifle that is going to replace the rifle/pistol combo. As mentioned, it doesn't seem bad until you put it on. I feel like those pistol mags are hanging waaay out there and just walking through doorways you feel conscious about them. Ymmv

Esstac vote here! Single rifle and double pistol, solid retention and I never have to fiddle with the pouch when returning the mag.

I’m using Esstac pistol and rifle pouches on my belt. I haven’t had one come loose yet, but they are not at all workable in a vehicle for someone my size.

Their pistol mags work very well. The rifle mag does as well but I run a 20 round mag to keep it out of my ribs. If I had to run a 30 I’d mount it to a Safariland mid-ride CULB and drop it down like my holster. The extra mags are in a Crye multi-use pouch currently used like a butt pack. Works fine when out of the truck but obviously sucks when I’m a vehicle.

Honestly, I have not found anything comfortable while seated. Thankfully, most stuff I do doesn’t involve being in kit in a a vehicle or only has me in the seat for a few moments and then I’m out to do the stage. If I was in a vehicle for long periods of time I’d have to rethink the belt.

Some of the new harder mag pouches that can be set for angled to work a little better while seated. Something like the T Rex MARS pouches on a Tek Lok, but I have not personally tried these yet.

Lots of love for Esstac and I considered them myself. My only hangup was that they are mag specific. Tacos and G-Code fit all (most) and do it well in regards to retention.

For pistol mag pouches, I've got the TAG double pouch with the magnets. Love them.

Edit: just did a search and it looks like they are discontinued... boned

Last edited:
My favorites are the ESSTAC. Short versions to be exact.

Now I run tacos which I feel don’t retain them nearly as well, and are harder to grab because they’re longer. But I need multi mag capability, so it is what it is. If I only had M4 mags on my belt, ESSTAC without even thinking twice.

And I buy all my pouches as singles so you can move them around as needed

Reactions: FatBoy
This has inspired me to try the MARS kydex w/tek lok. I ordered them for my 2nd belt today.

I used to use Safariland open top belt mounted pouches.
Switched to Esstac’s on my work vest 2-3 years ago and have been very happy.
Excellent retention and has held up very well. I’m actually surprised that the color hasn’t faded much, if at all.
I’ll second the suggestion to avoid stacked mags. Keep everything as close to the body as possible.