• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Who is running an Armalite AR10?

Fenix Mike

Minuteman
Aug 19, 2012
Tulsa, OK
Ive had a Sig 716 (two of them actually), sold them and got a Scar 17, modded it all up, then just decided it really wasnt what I was looking for. I want an 18 or 20 inch AR style 308 gun that isnt going to break the bank, and I had my heart set on the Sig 716 Precision when it came out, or the Colt 901 to match my 6940, but I dont see either of them coming available any time soon. I did see that the new Armalite guns use Pmags now, and like that the Noveske barrels are designed for them, so thought id give one a shot, but really cant find a lot of reviews or opinions about any of their upper end models, mostly just the plain jane base models. They have a few Match style rifles with 18 and 20 inch stainless barrels, match triggers etc, and come in at the same price point as the Sig 716, and much less than the LMT and GAP rifles, but I wanted to look into them more before jumping the gun and buying one. I generally shoot 800-1000 meters (Yes the Sig AND the Scar both got there on 168 gr Amax bullets, but I dont like that they both go sub sonic at 950, prefer to see if I can get something that stays super sonic to 1000 hence the 18 and 20 inch barrel). I also have a AAC SDN6 I will be running on the rifle, which is why I liked the Sig is for the adjustable gas system.

Thoughts on the Armalite? Better off waiting for the Sig to eventually come out? Really dont want to build one but I did consider an Armalite builder kit and hunting around for an 18 inch Noveske barrel.

Armalite carbines and rifles are mature, flexible designs. They don't take a lot to shot very well and are reasonably priced.

There are lots of barrel makers besides Noveske.

All these pictured shoot to 1,000 yards.

w053cx.jpg

21b0zes.jpg

kbqe6c.jpg

ar_10_sniper_rifle_tube.jpg

Last edited:
Wish I could find a place to check one out... one of the LE distributors has a few but I've never played with one in person. May have to add the Ruger SR762 to my list of guns to check out...

I run a AR-10T that I had cut back to 18 inches. It is scary accurate, so much so when I decided to build a bolt gun I didnt consider .308 because my 10 is just so damn accurate. I say about the only other .308 AR that maybe more accurate is a GAP and that will only be by small margin. Mine is very reliable to with Gen 1 or 2 mags. I dont care for Pmags in any caliber, I like steel mags but that is me. Buy one with confidence, they are very good rifles!

ETA they use stronger forgings and have a superior bolt design over some other manufacturers.

This will do....

P1020310_zpsa7540aeb.jpg

This on a regular....

AR-10TGroup_zps3196826d.jpg

Last edited:
I have owned several and still own a couple Armalite AR-10 rifles. They are excellent right out of the box, including the AR-10T models (both rifle and carbine) which are sub-MOA accurate with quality ammo and a proficient semi-auto shooter. One of the best bangs for the buck in the industry without stepping up considerably in price or going custom. Like GF, I have never had a hiccup with either Gen 1 (converted M1A mags) or the Gen 2 (Armalite production) mags from 5- to 25-round capacities, and for that matter, I've never had a hiccup period with any Armalite rifle I've owned.

The new, AR-10A models (.308 PMAG compatible...the other, metal/Armalite mag rifles are still designated AR-10B) are no exception to Armalite's quality products, but unfortunately, are tough to find for supply/demand purposes and are only offered in limited configurations at this time (at least by Armalite...you can customize it as you see fit once you have it in hand). To my knowledge, Armalite is only offering "A" series rifles in their basic AR-10A4 model (~$1400 or so...<2MOA accurate), as well as their top-of-the-line AR-10A Super SASS rifle (~$3000 or so...sub-MOA accurate) at the moment but have plans to greatly expand that if I understand correctly. Other models have been made in the AR-10A configuration, including limited production runs of 10T rifles and carbines, but good luck sourcing one unless you just get lucky. No "receiver sets" have been made available at this point that are in the AR-10A pattern, so you are stuck buying a complete rifle and replacing/upgrading as you see fit if you want to run PMAGs for the time being.

I have an AR 10 A4 with a Noveske barrel Noveske SWS quad rail and a PRS stock. I did not like the factory trigger which had an extremely heavy trigger which was replaced with a Geiselle SSA-E trigger.

Last edited:
I really can't add much to what has already been related. They don't really receive much in the way of props by the AR crowd but I am happy with my AR10T as a 1 MOA semi. As mentioned you can easily upgrade the barrel or if you are looking for more precision the Super SASS might be the ticket. A really great value rifle.

Armalite carbines and rifles are mature, flexible designs. They don't take a lot to shot very well and are reasonably priced.

There are lots of barrel makers besides Noveske.

All these pictured shoot to 1,000 yards.

w053cx.jpg

21b0zes.jpg

kbqe6c.jpg

ar_10_sniper_rifle_tube.jpg
[/QUOT

This is the best way I've ever heard to describe a good design, and Armalite's design particularly. Indeed, the Armalite design is "right", compared to the other mass-produced AR big chassis rifles/carbines. KAC, to me, is included but too expensive to be in the comparable.

I talked to armalite today... Pretty close to snagging one, just debating if it will be too heavy to do anything with after I toss my nightforce on it...

<-------AR10 Super Sass Nightfroce 3-15 Aadland one piece mount, SSA trigger and Ergogrip, Spike Tactical winter trigger guard. I love my SASS I wont part with it and it eats anything I put in it and accurately.

yeah, I've been scouring the internet looking for negative things about them, and I can't find any. Pretty sure I'm going to make a poor decision tomorrow and order one. I went and held the Scar 17 and Sig 716 again today to see if I should just buy another one of those, and I think I'm sold on the SASS. Next rifle might be a SBR Sig 716, but for now, Armalite is likely going to get my money.

I couldn't find a complete rifle that I really loved so I purchased an Armalite lower, put a Geissele trigger and DD LPK in it, a Magpul UBR stock, and a Noveske N6 16" upper on it. It is very accurate, 1 MOA or better with handloads. I have taken many deer with it out to 300 meters. I wish I had purchased an 18 or 20 inch barrel though because I also purchased a Colt 901 so its a bit redundant with two 16" 308 AR's. My only complaint is that it is a bit heavy but I am still able to hump it around the woods when I hunt with it. Solid platform and I would build it again. I have no experience with Armalite uppers.

I couldn't find a complete rifle that I really loved so I purchased an Armalite lower, put a Geissele trigger and DD LPK in it, a Magpul UBR stock, and a Noveske N6 16" upper on it. It is very accurate, 1 MOA or better with handloads. I have taken many deer with it out to 300 meters. I wish I had purchased an 18 or 20 inch barrel though because I also purchased a Colt 901 so its a bit redundant with two 16" 308 AR's. My only complaint is that it is a bit heavy but I am still able to hump it around the woods when I hunt with it. Solid platform and I would build it again. I have no experience with Armalite uppers.

Id love a Colt 901, just havent ever seen one on a shelf anywhere, and not willing to pay the Gun Broker asshole tax when one does pop up! I considered ordering the Armalite builder kit, and Rainier has a Noveske 18 inch SPR barrel in stock, but I like the idea of a nice warranty in case it has gas issues with my suppressor, as well as the SASS adjustable gas system.

I got my 901 on gunbroker and it was lower than MSRP, but I guess that was before Sandy Hook. If you can find one that is priced reasonably they are worth it. Not as accurate as my Noveske upper, but I can still get around 1 MOA, Colt is built to be a battle rifle after all. Much lighter and maneuverable than the Armalite/Noveske.