• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

who makes a good AK-47

tylerharrell

Private
Minuteman
Oct 13, 2008
Florida
I have heard yugoslavia and romania make quality AKs but I dont know enough about it to make a dicision. I want a good milled AK, does it matter who makes it as long as it is milled? thanks, Tyler Harrell

Re: who makes a good AK-47

You want it for its value or collectability? If just going to shoot it, then my suggestion is a cheap Saiga conversion. I have one that was less than 500.00 and it is just fun to shoot, and I can run cheap steel cased ammo through it and not worry about it.

Saiga%20-%20AK-47.jpg

Classic Arms has milled Polish Ak's for $699

from the site:

POLISHAK3.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold">THIS MAY VERY WELL BE THE FINEST, MOST WELL BUILT AK RIFLE ON THE MARKET TODAY. ASSEMBLED FROM LIKE NEW POLISH AK KITS WITH NEW BARRELS AND U.S. MADE MILLED RECEIVERS. THIS IS THE MERCEDES BENZ OF AK RIFLES. VERY WELL MADE WITH TIGHT TOLERANCES AND HIGH QUALITY
WORKMANSHIP. COMES COMPLETE WITH 2-STEEL 30 ROUND AK MAGS ,CANVAS
AK MAG POUCH, AK CLEANING KIT, SLING, OILER AND MANUAL. IF YOU ARE AN AK RIFLE COLLECTOR OR IF YOU SIMPLY WANT YOUR ONLY ONE TO BE THE BEST AVAILABLE, THEN YOU MUST HAVE ONE OF THESE.
THEY ARE EXPENSIVE, BUT THEY ARE WORTH IT.
ITEM # ATM-1960-AK................. $699.95
NOTE - THE POLISH RIFLES AS THEY COME FROM CENTURY DO NOT HAVE, AND HAVE NEVER HAD, CLEANING RODS. HOWEVER, WE HAVE MODIFIED SOME RODS THAT WE HAD HERE TO FIT THE MILLED RECEIVER RIFLES. THEY ARE NOT ORIGINAL, BUT THEY WORK COSMETICALLY AND MAKE THE RIFLE LOOK MUCH
MORE COMPLETE. I THINK YOU WILL AGREE BY LOOKING AT OUR ORIGINAL PHOTO BELOW AS COMPARED TO THE ONE WITH THE ROD ABOVE, THAT AK RIFLES JUST LOOK BETTER WITH THE ROD. ALL OF OUR POLISH RIFLES NOW COME WITH THIS MODIFIED CLEANING ROD. </span>

1. Sako (Valmet)
2. Galil
3. n/a
4. n/a
5. original russian
6. n/a
7. n/a
8. n/a
9. n/a
10.n/a
11.n/a
12.eastern european clones
13.rest

1 and 2 are both milled and good.

I am not saying one trumps the other but I will state what I have always heard..
Original Russian milled but will cost you a fortune.
There are quite a few milled receiver AK's that are now made in USA
Out of the stamped versions I have always heard that the Russian version is best
Then the Egyptian Maadi
Then Norinco
Then all the other Bulgarian, Romanian, Yugoslavian stamped versions....
My information may be out dated and there may be a new order now due to more recent developments and availabilities.
I didn't include the Galil, since its a modified AK or a hybrid but they are supposed to be so sweet.
I have an Egyptian Maadi folder and I love it as an AK.. Also. you don't need a milled receiver to enjoy a great AK... 5,000,000,000 ( Seems like it)Russians,Chinese Arabian,Cuban,South American,African nationalities can't be wrong.............hahahahaha..SmokeRolls

Ok so here is my 2 cents as I bought something like this a couple months ago. Galil is very unreliable and extremely hard to get mags.(.223 does not create enough gas pressure to consistently cycle, as gun was origionally designed in 7.62X51 nato) New Saiga's are also expensive for Mags($35+), I bought a Robinson Armament VEPR II, great gun in .223, cheap mags, ammo is much more available, but rifles are hard to find now. Remember with CZ's you get good, I think stamped receiver, but all parts are available and ammo is coming back around at great prices, mags are cheap, and just a great looking AK.
If you are interested in a VEPR let me know.
Good Luck

Arsenal makes a fine AK no doubt. The Norinco AK's of years past were also very good. My current favorite is the Yugo M70. It is built for "bigger" people. The fixed stock versions have longer than normal AK length stocks and IMHO a good pistol grip. They also have a thicker stamped reciever and the reinforced trunion as seen on the RPK and VEPR. The one down side is that the US made barrels used on them currently are not chrome lined. Not a big deal to me but for some it is. The underfolder version suffers from the same problems all AK underfolders have, uncomfortable to shoot compared to a fixed stock. If you look hard you can find some still with really good condition furniture and Century even makes one I think with all black plastic, for sure in the underfolder versions they do.

The Polish AKs in 5.45 are very nice. The Romanian AKs are sort of hit an miss. Look at a bunch of them and pick the best of the group if you can. They aint pretty but for the most part they still run.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rick 3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Galil is very unreliable and extremely hard to get mags.(.223 does not create enough gas pressure to consistently cycle, as gun was origionally designed in 7.62X51 nato)</div></div>

Very first Galils were made in 7.62x39 Valmet (later Sako) recievers.
And AK-47 in 223?!!? whats the idea???

Arsenal is basically ok- but finishing and materials suck.
Like bolt, its really soft steel. As reciever hood is.
Black finish dissolves easily.
Accuracy can be fair, horrible or anything between.

Still, I´d say that Arsenal gives best bang for the buck if compared to other eastern europe clones.

I have an arsenal SLR107. I've run about 5K through it, never cleaned it and it still shoots as good as brand new. I'm trying to see how long it will go before it really needs a cleaning, I don't shoot it for accuracy so I don't know if accuracy has dropped of or not but it has seemed pretty accurate for what it was intended for. The most impressive thing to me is that it runs dry out here in the desert. An AR will run dirty here as long as its pretty wet but this thing runs wet, dry, clean, dirty or any combination of those which is what AK's are about to me, a no frills get the job done gun.

I think AK's are hit-or-miss no matter how well they're made. I had a Legend that couldn't hit shit. I now have a cheap-ass Yugo that I can hit a 12"x12" gong at 300yds with... consistently! Go figure!

the most accurate of the AK's are the valmet ,period, full stop end of story.

listen to brother JL

OP, here's a good resource page I used when I was asking the same thing, it gives you a good run down of all the makes out there.

http://www.ak47world.com/rifles.html

I wound up buying a NDS lower and got a demilled stamped Polish AKMS kit (hard to find) and now having a reputable AK smith name Tim Foreman working on it now. The polish ak's are some of the finest quality. The best AK's though I think are chinese type 56 AKM's.

One thing about the milled AK's you want -- they are heavier than the stamped versions and AK's to me are already a heavy weapon to have to tote.

Yugoslavian M95. It’s chambered in 5.56 and is accurate as hell. It also recoils less than my .22 bolt gun, it’s a real pleasure to shoot.

I've owned Yugo's and Romanian's both. They all shot but were nowhere as accurate as a decent AR platform. I still own a Yugo for a just because but I much prefer AR's. Contemplating selling it and getting a 7.62x39 upper. My 2bits krw

Hmm for accuracy I can't really give an opinion like the rest of these guys can, but if you want a pretty cheap priced gun that will kill some damn zombies when the time comes, (and we all know it's comin!) there have been some killer deals on Century AK's floating around, and my personal experience with them has been nothing but great. I like the WASR with underfolder myself.

Accuracy in AK's is similar to AR's. The higher the quality of the gun, to more accurate it is. However the AK was not designed to be an "accurate" firearm in the way that most people think of accuracy on this site. It was meant to be minute-of-man out to 200 or 300 meters and never malfunction, and in that role it performs very well. Also, I second the VEPR recomendation. They are VERY high quality AK's.

Lancaster consulting/arms and henderson defense industries make some good ones as well. My lancaster is a champ.

I don't what anybody has said or told you, here the low down on milled versus stamped, any new AK you buy can now was made from a stamped kit, hence the cross pin holding the barrel in the receiver, milled receivers offer no advantage to the end user, and only cost more due to some preconceived notion that there better, more accurite, whatever, they cost more due to machine time, and are marked up from the manufactures because idiots pay for them. Get yourself a Arsenal AK, because the entire receiver is heat treated, not just the trigger and hammer holes like all the rest, it will provide centuries of service at a cheaper price versus a milled unit.

I have a custom built(Chris Butler/AKUSA) Russian AK-103 for sale/trade at the moment. I have a shit ton of ammo and mags I'd make the buyer a deal on. Looking for high end(NF, Mk4, PH, USO, etc.) glass with greater magnification. Can split up the package and give/take money depending on trade.
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=122&t=733864

AFAIK the top AK builders include:
Chris Butler AKUSA http://www.ak-103.com/rifles.html
Krebs custom
Arsenal
Red Jacket Arms

I wrote this a while back and think it may still be relevant.

#1 Russian: Top notch, but the most expensive. I own a AK-103 converted from a Saiga, its my nicest AK. I got mine custom built by this guy http://www.ak-103.com/rifles.html . He does real good work and is very helpful if you ever need to call him. A lot of folks(including me) regard him as one of the top AK builders in the country. $550-$1200

#2 Bulgarian: These are great rifles as well. Mainly imported by Arsenal as parts kits and assembled under their name. Some people like them better than Russians. I own a Arsenal SLR-105(ak74/5.45x39 cal) and it shoots like a mother****er. $500-$1200

#3 Chinese: Some people will put these over Bulgarians and they are good shooters too. These were imported under the Polytech and Norinco names. There seems to be a lot more milled receivers from the Chinese. Proponents of milled recivers will argue that they are more rigid and durable. To me they are cumbersome and heavy, to each their own. I see no benefit of having a milled receiver. I used to own a Norinco SKS and liked it, Polytechs seem way over priced but hold their value I guess. I think those Mak-90s are pretty damn slick looking' I've you can find one without a thumbhole stock(shoot pretty good too from what I hear). I'd suggest a Mak 90 if you could find a good deal on one($500). $500-$1200

#4 Yugoslavian: This is the one type I don't have any experience with. I looked at the M70 under folders at one point but didn't care for the cheek weld. A lot of people swear by them. I think they use different receivers 1.7mm IIRC. Be careful of Century imports they've been known to fuk anything up they get their hands on. Buy in person and make sure the sights are straight Can be had for $450-$600 range.

#5 Polish: Again another type I am not too familiar with. I've looked at the Tantals which are a side folder with a 74 break, kinda cool. Don't care for the wire stock though. I think Lancaster builds a lot of these. I'm not too excited about them(doesn't mean they're not good). $500-$800

#6 Egyptian: These are imported under the Maadi name and aren't as plentiful to my knowledge. I've heard a lot of people complain about them. I wouldn't buy one(again not saying they're aren't good ones out their). Complaints of sight cant and piss poor fitting. Not sure about price but I think they're around $500-$700.

#7 Romanian: My Romanians are like an old ugly mutt dog that tries hard and is very reliable(mine are). Century's bread and butter, and can be riddled with typical AK ailments(trigger slap, sight can't, mag wobble, poor fitting). Again buy in person so you can check the sights and ID trigger. The trigger you want is a Tapco G2, it is a US made trigger and generally doesn't have any slap. The main two types of Rommys im familiar with is the WASR and the SAR. I own a couple WASR-1s(7.62x39) and one SAR-2(5.45x39). The SARs are definitely nicer fit and finish than the WASRs but are also not as available and are a little pricier. WASRs stocks are dull but can be refinished easily with tung oil, sand paper, steel wool(took me 2hours all together). I like rommys a lot but they might take a little love to get running the way you want them to. They are crude(like all AKs) and therefore are somewhat easy to work on yourself. $300-$400.

Here are some custom makers to look into Krebs, Red Jacket Arms, AKUSA(thumbs UP!), Lancaster Consulting, Global Trades, Red Stick Arms, Arsenal, there's a **** load more can't think of them. Not trying to overload you with info but thought this could help you know what your getting into.

Key points to take not of and you'll be OK: Avoid sight cant, get an AK w/ a G2 trigger, and check for mag wobble. Buy AK in person and you can check these yourself, if not ask seller if Rifle is afflicted by these.

(I know I'm leaving out soo much info, but there's so much to remember with AKs)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: orkan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Accuracy and AK-47 don't really go together in the same sentence.
</div></div>
I have seen a Sako M92S (single-fire version of Finnish army RK95) that shooted 10" 5-shot group at 500meters or 550yds.
Ammo was std army (Lapua) 123gr FMJ ammo, sock rifle except scope and reflex suppressor.
Mine isn't quite that accurate, but shoots between 1-1.5 MOA at 100meters.

As far as I know, Valmet/Sako was only AK with accuracy test shoot in factory. If failed, rifle didnt leave factory but went back to production line for modifications/repairing. Buds grandfather used to be Sako test shooter, thats how I know it.
Valmet name changed to Sako in late 80´s or so.

RK95 (RK = rynnäkkö kivääri = assault rifle)
0003.jpg

Official Finnish army Sako RK95 teaching video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STPaycKcXJw
7.62x39 terminal ballistics/penetration presentation in end of the video, 9.09
Also, rifle grenade preparation at 3.55 (note adjustable gas block), bipod and iron night sights at 6:40.

Finnish GI in Afghanistan with Sako RK95.
Suppressor BR-Tuote Reflex T8.
afgrk95.jpg

On the MAADI's AKM's, the ones imported by Syracuse NJ company (small #) are russian tooling and considered one of the closest imports to a true russian AKM. It's the other Maadi's that came after that a lot of people tell me are junk and avoid. The Maadi's fit/finish to me looks pretty rough on the outside, but I know looks can deceive...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MedCpt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">On the MAADI's AKM's, the ones imported by Steyr (small #) are russian tooling and considered one of the closest imports to a true russian AKM. It's the other Maadi's that came after that a lot of people tell me are junk and avoid. Steyr Maadi's fit/finish to me looks pretty rough on the outside, but I know looks can deceive...</div></div>
I guess I got a great version then. My Egyptian Maadi is one of the nicest in finish and function that I have seen, inside and out. It's tight, straight, shoots wonderfully and is rolex reliable..Just my observation....SmokeRolls

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ZOMBIE101</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Arsenal SA-M7 USA AK-47.....BEST </div></div>

+1000

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: neo223</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ZOMBIE101</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Arsenal SA-M7 USA AK-47.....BEST </div></div>

+1000 </div></div>

Arsenal has had their fair share of quality issues too. I would still make sure you ask all the right questions before buying one. As with any AK its best to be able to handle the rifle before buying and know what you are looking at. AK ignorance can get you into trouble.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dagger</div><div class="ubbcode-body">VALMET: There is no substitute </div></div>
I think thats a little out of the OP's price range. 5.56 Valmets fetch between $1300-$2000 depending on rarity and if you can find one in 7.62x39 expect to pay a lot more.

I looked up VEPR and Valmet AKs on gun broker and it seems like the average cost is around $1,600 thats crazy. I am going to take Smokerolls advice and buy it in person and check the sights, trigger and mag well. Thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Left.Nasty</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I looked up VEPR and Valmet AKs on gun broker and it seems like the average cost is around $1,600 thats crazy. I am going to take Smokerolls advice and buy it in person and check the sights, trigger and mag well. Thanks </div></div>
Good call. There should be an abundance of AK's to look at in Florida too. Have fun and happy hunting.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: A.D.A.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Jim Fuller is one of, if not the, best AK builders in the country.

He can be found at http://www.rifledynamics.com

Give him a call. His work is excellent. </div></div>

+1

I appreciate you giving me credit but I cannot take the credit for this comment...
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Left.Nasty</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I looked up VEPR and Valmet AKs on gun broker and it seems like the average cost is around $1,600 thats crazy. I am going to take Smokerolls advice and buy it in person and check the sights, trigger and mag well. Thanks</div></div>
The advice I believe was given by "Creature".
Just trying to give credit to whom credit is due...SmokeRolls
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Creature</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Key points to take not of and you'll be OK: Avoid sight cant, get an AK w/ a G2 trigger, and check for mag wobble. Buy AK in person and you can check these yourself, if not ask seller if Rifle is afflicted by these.
</div></div>

I have an Arsenal SA7M (paid $600 back then) and a VEPR II 7.62x39 (paid $540). Both are very accurate (considering the average shitty ammo they are fed with), and they have an awesome fit and finish.
They turned up being a pretty good investment for the money
grin.gif

I have a Century WASR-10/63. Looks terrible on the outside, but shoots good(2" at 100yds with Winchester white box). No problems with it once I got all the cosmoline out of it. The place I bought it from had one with all the Tapco crap on it that looked much nicer. I would love to have a Sako/Valmet.

We had 3 Arizona Response Systems (aka "Mark the Plumber") rifles built. At the same time I bought two Century under folders.

The ARS rifles are physical masterpieces in fit and finish compared to the Century rifles.

We tested all 5 rifles out to 400 yards. One Century had feeding problems I fixed in 1 minute with a file; the rest ran great. The ARS guns go thru compliance parts trigger mechanisms about every 2k rounds.

Both Century rifles out shot the ARS rifles accuracy-wise.

Krebs customs. Mine is way nicer than any other AK's in my safe or anywhere else that I have seen.

"who makes a good AK-47" is akin to asking how long of a dick you should have sewn onto your Old Lady.

Just sayin'.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 51Posts</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"who makes a good AK-47" is akin to asking how long of a dick you should have sewn onto your Old Lady.

Just sayin'. </div></div>

Classic. Biting wit. Seems very familiar. Hope to see more of!

I dont understand this incessant need to bash the AK. It is a great platform that suffers from far less functionality issues than the ever popular AR.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: scatsob</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I dont understand this incessant need to bash the AK. It is a great platform that suffers from far less functionality issues than the ever popular AR. </div></div>

AR issues/non-issues aside, the AK platform can be pretty decent. I've had multiple AK's and always enjoy shooting them. I've only got a 74 at this point in time, and it's a sweet shooter. Plus ammo is real cheap.

I have no problem with AKs. I was just laughing at the familiarity of the post by "51posts". Reminds me of someone who used to be a member here who's encyclopaedic experience often had him at odds with others here who learned the definiton of "Whirlwind" when sparring with him.

He revels in being something of a pedantic prick, but is often funny when not excessively cryptic and thematically repetitive.