• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Who makes good inexpensive plated pistol bullets?

delixe

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 25, 2014
Valley Forge, PA
I'm looking for copper plated bullets for my .45 ACP pistols.
Hard cast lead bullets foul up polygonal rifled barrels pretty badly and the accuracy drops off quickly.
Any recommendations for plated bullets?
A Google search brings up Xtreme and Berry's, any others out there?

I have had very good results using X-Treme. They are now offering free shipping.

I will 2nd the xtremes. The RMR plated are very good as well and honestly may be the same bullets.

I would also suggest using a lucky 13 200gr lswc. I ran these in competition in my little hk compact and there was very little fouling after 150 to 200 rounds.

Buy Berry's from Powder Valley or X-treme bullets direct. Either one will serve you well. I think Berry's makes the nicest plated bullets, but if I find X-treme or Rainier plated bullets for a good price then I have no issues running them either. I only shoot plated bullets through my pistol these days as they are quite a bit cleaner and not terribly expensive.

Go high tech, or Hi-Tek that is. Polymer coated bullets give all the advantages of plated at a cost just a bit more than cast.

Believe it or not the big deal in cast pistol bullets is powder coating them . Check out the cast boolit sight .

I use X-treme bullets in all my pistols. They make some great plated bullets. I run them pretty fast in my 10mm and 44mag and havent had a single issue with them.

They have been having free shipping, 5% off, and 10% off recently. The 10% is usually for specific bullets though (ie like 115gr 9mm)

anybody tried precision delta? they seam a little cheaper than the xtreme. im thinking about trying some out too.

Precision delta makes great bullets, dont over look coated bullets like Bayou. they are very clean to load and shoot.

Take a looks at black bullet international. They are not plated but have a hard coating. I run them in factory Glock barrels with zero problems. They shoot as well as the zero's I used to shoot and are always available.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

O/T, I am preparing to reload for the 44 mag in a Win '94 trapper carbine. Is it OK to use rifle primers? I'm figuring a rifle's fire control is designed to ignite rifle primers.

Greg

I have been using Frontier bullets in 9mm and 45acp with good results.

...for my .45 ACP pistols.
Hard cast lead bullets foul up polygonal rifled barrels pretty badly

I run Berry's and Rainier plated...no complaints with either.
You might want to try softer cast bullets (~12BHN) too. The 45acp isn't an 18bhn hard-cast round.

Do they have to be plated, not FMJ's? I have used Zero FMJ's in my Glock 21 and they shoot great and are priced well.

Plated bullets are a FUCKING RIP OFF, my advice is to use moly coated lead(yes us Glock guys can use them) and shoot them instead, but if plated is your only option use "lead" bullet data.

Lol, that's the first time I've heard of plated bullets being a "fucking rip off." Some people prefer to use them to keep the lead exposure down a little bit.

I only speak(write) the truth, if I'm wrong I admit it, I may not appeal to the current generations PC, but my experience is just that.

O/T, I am preparing to reload for the 44 mag in a Win '94 trapper carbine. Is it OK to use rifle primers? I'm figuring a rifle's fire control is designed to ignite rifle primers.

Greg

not to get too far off topic but stick with pistol primers unless you have changed your brass. the primer pocket is different/deeper for rifle primers vs. pistol primers, so a rifle primer will stand "proud" of the case which you don't want. Most powders call for standard large pistol primers, but there are a few (H110 being the primary one) that require a large pistol magnum primer. don't try to re-invent the wheel just stick to the manuals unless you think you know something the manufacturers don't. :) seriously there are situations where you can interchange primers (i.e. 22 hornet, a lot of people use pistol primers instead of rifle primers but you are talking a case with very small volumes) but even the 500 S&W they changed from pistol to rifle primers. But back to the 44 mag, I use my rounds in both rifles and pistols and just load them all the same. I use magnum primers with H110 other than that, standard LP primers.

and back on topic, the main suppliers are xtreme, Ranier and Berrys for plated bullets. x-treme seems to have very good prices (and free shipping right now). RMR is good for inexpensive bullets, and if they have them in stock, you can get good prices from Zero for standard metal jacketed bullets (purchase thru Rose Distributors).