• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

who makes the best LONG gun cases for travel

djtjr

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 1, 2009
New York
Guys, who makes the longest hard gun case out there? i would love to get a pelican but the biggest i can find is basically 50 inches long inside and that wont do it for some of my bigger LR guns. wondering what you guys use when you travel. I got some great invites this year but most of the guns i would want to bring are a solid 4 inches longer than the 50 inches out there. let me know what you use and what you think.

Re: who makes the best LONG gun cases for travel

How terrible would it be to remove the Barreled Action from the Stock and ship a rifle taken apart? I've seen them in the Pelican (1750?) shipped that way.

My 98B came with a pretty long Pelican. Before that I've traveleled extensively overseas with other sticks in Pelicans and they really are a tough case. They've survived many flights on both military and civilian aircraft.

Surplus Stinger missile packing case

Storm case has always protected my rifles and other sensitive gear.

I use Storm cases. They're pretty damn rugged.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hill billy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Boyt cases are 55" inside I believe. </div></div>

+1 ^ i have a boyt. but it only suits rifles to 51" nice case. if you angle it a little you should have room to spare. its built well, but huge.

model H51

Storm, the 3300 is the longest.

Since Pelican purchased Storm, you will start seeing better Pelican cases ( better pin retention on the hinges, better clasps.)

I was also told that a longer case is forthcoming....just don't know when.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: W54/XM-388</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Surplus Stinger missile packing case </div></div>

Lol, that ought to get you a raised eyebrow at the airport...
grin.gif
wink.gif

+1 on the missile case. Mine ran about $175 delivered, and has worked out extremely well. They're built to transport a <span style="font-weight: bold">ROCKET WITH EXPLOSIVES</span> around the world, so they're definitely sufficient to protect a rifle. Or two. Or half a dozen. There's enough room in one to seriously store 5-6 carbines and about as many handguns, if you do some cutting of the foam and add storage into the lid. $30 at Home Depot allowed me make it mobile using 1/2" steel rod and some lawnmower wheels on one end (threaded through one of the stiffening brackets).

As far as the airport goes, your best solution would be to spray paint it in non-threatening colors, maybe stick a few Hello Kitty stickers on the side, or a peace symbol or two...much less likely to induce screaming and panic at the check-in desk one would suppose.

With the missile case. If you fly with it, prepare to pay heavily for the extra weight.

I would anticipate paying extra for the heavy weight no matter what case you get. A Pelican 1770 with foam alone weighs 36 pounds. With a rifle of that size, scope, extra mags, etc. I would assume it would be well over the 50 lb limit of most airlines. My suggestion....get something with wheels, that bitch is gonna be heavy. Pelican makes a good case that is nearly indestructible.

I have only ever owned one, Pelican! bought it because I have seen the way equipment is treated in the ARMY and I have never seen one broken. Just my .02