• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Who Still Loads on a Single Stage Press?

RCBS A2 for all precision size/decap operations. I have two of them and they are indestructible.

Dillon 550B for pistol.

I find that sizing 223 on the dillon is a PITA (yes, I tried carbide dies) so I size and decap 223 on the RCBS. Decrimp primer pockets with a dillon super swage. Prime, charge, seat and crimp on the Dillon 550.

A friend was shooting some sort of factory ammo in his AR. I handed him 5 rounds of my 223 from the Dillon and it shot a group half the size of factory. Mind you, he was shooting 55gr factory and my 223 is 77 gr but I use the standard dillon powder thrower - no magic - and make about 400 rounds per hour.

For precision, I do this: size using Redding die with buttons. I use pin gauges to select the button so I get the neck ID I want - usually .303 or .304. Set the shoulder length by shimming the die. I use imperial sizing die wax and I have a rhythm that gives me very consistent lengths +- 0.001 measured with an RCBS case gauge. Clean primer pockets. If cases need trimming, I use a Giraud, I get +- 0.001 on OAL. Use a sinclair priming tool. If someone tells you that you shouldn't handle primers, send them to me. I have individually loaded tens of thousands of them, no misfires yet. Throw initial powder charge with an RCBS Chargemaster then trickle to +- 0.001 gram. Seat with a wilson seater using a very stout arbor press. After decap and PP clean, with magnum cases only, I check primer pocket diameter with pin gauges and crimp any that are too large. I could probably get better control of neck tension but I use magazines and a stock chamber and I get about 1/2 moa in my 308 - that's good enough for me. The part I like the least is throwing powder charges, I do about 75-100 rounds per hour. Oh well. I am probably overdoing some of my steps but it is my technique and it works for me. Y'all should do what you think is best.

I use two tumblers, one for dirty brass and one to remove the lube after sizing. I change media regularly, I buy it in bulk.

By the way, Tony and Faye Boyer win not because they always shoot little groups but because they rarely shoot a large group, something most of us cannot quite seem to manage. They both shoot little ones but the trick is to not blow the ag with a big one. I have shot at lots of matches with Mr. and Mrs. Boyer and, in my opinion, that is their real trick. Well, that and they have a TON of range time.

I de-cap and remove problem bullets with an old pacific single stage and then use a forster co-ax for everything else.

Reactions: Fig
I've been out of the reloading game for 15+ years now, but started with a RCBS Rock Chucker loading .22-250, .357, and .44mag. In the early 90's I started shooting competitively in an indoor pistol league using .45acp and bought what I believe was the first "auto" platform, the RCBS Ammo Master. I was shooting 400+ rounds a week and it easily paid for itself. When up to speed I could load 50 rnds of .45acp in 10-11 minutes.

For precision rifle I'd still roll my 2 Rock Chuckers, Lee Auto Prime, Uniflow powder measure, powder trickler, and beam scale.

I still have all my gear and will be getting the band back together for .308 and .9mm.

My little helper on the Ammo Master 15 years ago.

i-jHtR5zH-L.jpg

Been using a single stage my whole life building rounds one at a time...hand weighing each and every charge on a digital scale and resizing, expanding, and seating on an ancient RCBS single stage. Then again, I don't compete and get off on precision even with pistol/handgun ammunition. Aside from it being slow I find it relaxing and uber precise.

Anybody else still load on a single stage or is the consensus that this is too tedious and slow for making precision rifle ammunition and has no merits in the age of cranking them out? Can I learn to make precision ammo at a faster rate?

Thanks in advance for your opinions and perspective!

VooDoo
I still load on a single stage press, especially when trying to load the most accurate loads for my rifles. Started out on a single stage over 45 years ago. When I was competing in handgun competition , I used a Dillon. They make good equipment!

Had a round .38 miss a powder charge on the dillon 2 weeks ago.
Stuck mid chamber.
What a pta to bash it back into the case in the revolver at the range.
Has never happened to me on a single stage.

Enjoy your precision and buy items that speed up that process.

That was you, not the Dillon.

Reactions: MTRecon
Single stage here. Probably 10k or so loaded on it and still running strong. Run of the mill RCBS Rock chucker.

Only 2 kind of people run progressive presses.
People that have managed to mess up a round.
And people that will eventually.

Doesn't mean you should toss them, just know shit happens.
Not loading any defense rounds on mine.

Single stage here. Co-ax almost all the time. For some weird jobs I still use and older Lee cast iron.

Forster CoAx for rifle, Dillon 650 for pistol. I can't get the level of precision I want for rifle from the 650. It will not meter stick powders for beans. I am sure someone out there has come up with a fancy solution for that but...

1975 model rockchucker for real guns and hornady auto for pistols.

I don't think I will ever use anything else for precision rifle work. Being able to watch and feel every bullet load is important to me. I would rather speed up every other process, and leave bullet seating, and weighing charges as the slow part.

I reload my rifle ammunition (.223 and 45-70) on a Lee Classic Cast I bought two years ago (with Forster and RCBS dies respectively), and couldn't be happier with it. Even if I could reload the 45-70 on a progressive, I wouldn't as I reload softball loads usually with pistol powder and a double charge of pistol powder would make for a very exciting day. I visually inspect powder in all 45-70 cases before seating bullets.

My handgun ammo is reloaded on a used Dillon SDB (which I had Dillon refurbish) which I also couldn't be happier with (load 9mm, .38, .44 and .45ACP). I too have had a squib load or two on the progressive over the last dozen or so years I've been reloading with it ( as Snubby642 referenced). SD ammo is all factory loads.

Last edited:
Reactions: Snuby642
If you're reloading "precision" rifle rounds on a progressive, they aren't really "precision" unless you are weighing powder off the press.

Any rifle rounds I consider "precision" are on the single stange. I do load bulk .223 on a Hornady LnL. It's good enough to blow up prairie dogs more times than not at <400 yards. All pistol rounds are on the Hornady, doing them on a single stage is just awful. I don't have time to fill a 50cal ammo can with 9mm off a single stage...