• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Who the leader in 168's?

CK_32

Saving Ryans Privates
Minuteman
Jan 22, 2010
I know for 175 usually everyone spits out Sierra Match Kings. Almost a given when you ask their bullet choice.

But who's the top dog in 168 bullets?

I feel I hear Nosler thrown around a bit more. But what's the top 168 used?

SMK, Noslers, Bergers Amax's (if they even sell those)?

Interested being I'm now in the market for 168s to start loading up. I'm about to close up and finalize my 175 SMK load finally. Now I want to build a good 168gr load

Who the leader in 168's?

Don't waste your time. If the 175s work well, use those. If you want performance at distance shoot 180-185, assuming its a .308.

Yea its a 308. I think 180s+ are a bit out of my twist rate of 1:12. But from all my research I've read up that 168's are more consistent and a "better" grouping load under 600. Where the 175's although not as consistent and accurate per say fight the elements better.

My reasons are to have the 175 SMK load to get me to those long range weekends and pop some steel and LR 600+ matches. And the 168's be my 100 to 600 yard competition getters. Thats the plan anyways.

For 168, I'll opt for Nosler Comp. They're more consistent in weight and very accurate with my 12 twist PacNor SuperMatch 3 grove barrel. Another option for the heavier weight will be the 178 grain A-Max. It shoot just as well as the 168 Nosler Comp in my rifle.

The 168 A-max doesnt have the same known problems of passing through the transonic area like the 168SMK. It's also a longer bullet which favors more twist.

Depending on your "real" max range 168's perform fine to the 800 ish line

But, if you have tried the 175's and they work, then why dick with it

My truck gun is a 16.5" .308 and I shoot the Nosler 168's. 168's are fine for me cuz I built this as a 600yd and under gun.

Use a 178 amax or match with your smk powder charge, and see what happens ;).. SMK's are falling behind imo

Want 175 smk ballistics (.475g1) but at 50 fps faster use 168 berger VLD's (.473g1)... Want a little more performance (.496g1) and yet still dual purpose (hunting and target) use berger's hunting classic hybrid 168... Don’t care to hunt and want the highest BC I am aware of in a 168 (.519g1), use bergers target hybrid. Want the best bang for your buck inside 800 yards, nosler CC's (.426g1) with hornadys A-max (.450g1) fast on its heels in price and in my experience the A-max has been making it consistently to 1k. CC's are copies of the SMK's (.427g1) and like the SMK they may or may not work at out at 1k, weather and velocity depending.

I have been very pleased with the classic hunting hybrid from berger... spendy but good stuff.

But your 1:12 twist will handle 180's and 190's just fine...

Last edited:
Really? I thought SMK's were the crap shoot.

What bullets do the FGMM use?

Crap now I'm more confused before starting this thread lol

Can't believe no one has said Hornady 168 BTHP, cheaper then Nosler CCs, have a slightly higher BC then both Nosler and Sierra, (going off of Litz measurements in shooter) and the new AMP jackets are very consistent from my testing.

I've had great luck with the Hornady BTHP in everything I've tried, limited as that may be.

Crap now I'm more confused before starting this thread lol

Nothing to be confused about, if you want the best long range performance in a 168 grain bullet, that I am aware of... use a berger hybrid, if you want the best price buy nosler cc's in 1000ct bulk. If you want something that wont become unstable inside 1000 yards (my experence) use berger bullets or hornady a max... If you are staying at or under 800 yards (again in my experence) anything listed in this tread should work.

It's not an accident that SMKs still hold more records that all other bullet makes combined. Some of that is because they've been making match bullets longer than anyone in the US, and I suspect the gap is closing because there are many quality bullets on the market now. No offense, but that performance doesn't happen with bullets that are a "crapshoot." You can't argue with success: Sierra SMKs are a quality bullet. I've shot hornady, sierras, barnes, nosler, (kind of partial to noslers, having the best luck with them). I want to try Lapua and Bergers. Yet, I know that every rifle is different. So rather than debating everybody's favorite pet load, buy a 100 of each brand and see which performs best in YOUR gun, then stock up with what you've proven to work.

Yes, they are really good. Just hooked up with 400 of them as i just cant find amax right now. Some of my best groups are with hornady 168 bthp match with amp jackets.

Can't believe no one has said Hornady 168 BTHP, cheaper then Nosler CCs, have a slightly higher BC then both Nosler and Sierra, (going off of Litz measurements in shooter) and the new AMP jackets are very consistent from my testing.

I've had great luck with the Hornady BTHP in everything I've tried, limited as that may be.

Want 175 smk ballistics (.475g1) but at 50 fps faster use 168 berger VLD's (.473g1)... Want a little more performance (.496g1) and yet still dual purpose (hunting and target) use berger's hunting classic hybrid 168... Don’t care to hunt and want the highest BC I am aware of in a 168 (.519g1), use bergers target hybrid. Want the best bang for your buck inside 800 yards, nosler CC's (.426g1) with hornadys A-max (.450g1) fast on its heels in price and in my experience the A-max has been making it consistently to 1k. CC's are copies of the SMK's (.427g1) and like the SMK they may or may not work at out at 1k, weather and velocity depending.

I have been very pleased with the classic hunting hybrid from berger... spendy but good stuff.

But your 1:12 twist will handle 180's and 190's just fine...

You can push the berger 168s really hot. I've read posts by guys claiming 2800fps out of M1As and a friend of mine with a 28" barreled savage got 2900. That's like palma bullet speed.