• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Who uses 6.5 grendel on medium game

Jmccracken1214

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Dec 10, 2018
    Thomasville, NC
    Got one in the works, and every video I see of people using it on hogs/yotes... does awesome... but Ive yet to see anyone have a deer DRT.

Does this grendel produce enough velocity to make it a good choice for deer and up?

I've taken deer between 40 and 220 yards with the Grendel. Heart and lung shots with none of them making it more than 10 or 15 yards.

I've had deer jump/run farther when hit with 6.5x47s and 6.5 Creedmoors. I only say that because each shot and animal will have different results, but I don't think any less of the Grendel when compared to the others. Distances being reasonable.

Got one in the works, and every video I see of people using it on hogs/yotes... does awesome... but Ive yet to see anyone have a deer DRT.

Does this grendel produce enough velocity to make it a good choice for deer and up?
    Here’s a deer DRT from a grendel. It works well enough.

Attachments

• 3EE3DED2-B305-4B1D-B49D-83707E6A0124.jpeg
      3EE3DED2-B305-4B1D-B49D-83707E6A0124.jpeg
      485.4 KB · Views: 129
    We took three deer last year with Grendel and all three dropped in their tracks between 175 and 220 yds. No run.... jut dropped and dead.
    123 ELDM and Scenar 123. All bullets found just under the skin on opposite shoulder.

An issue could be without an exit there may not be much of a blood trail if it runs instead of drops. Shot placement is always important but not hard to do with an accurate rifle.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Jmccracken1214
    I try to only use bonded and copper bullets now. I try to only take cns shots in the high shoulder/spine so I don't want a normal bullet leaving lead spray in the meat.

My fav hunting bullets in the grendel are 85 trex, 120 federal fusion, 120 gold dot, 127 LRX and 129 ablr.

Whitetail are nature's pillows. You can kill them with a well placed shot from a pellet rifle.

I had a goat (similar toughness) that took two eld-ms at 400 yards though after the first poked a 6.5mm hole through both sides on a high lung shot. Smashed the front shoulder on the next, and down.

Moral of the story is I'd be more concerned about bullet selection than caliber at 6mm+ on medium game.

I’ve done it using 99gr hammer hunters out of a 16” barrel at 150yds. Placed the shot where the neck meets shoulder about 2/3 the way up, deer went about 15 feet and fell over

123 ELD-M at 2450 fps have been good medicine for me on white tail bucks. But, distances are typically less than 100 yards. Most anything is pretty good medicine at those distances.

I've killed 150+ deer in the past four months. Approximately 70 of them have been with my 6.5 Grendel at 200-500yd. All shooting 123ELD.

Works like a champ. That said the others were killed at the same ranges using AE 55gr FMJ. Shot placement works wonders. If I could upload video I'd show a few clips.

Reactions: MarshallDodge
    100 or 120gr Nosler BT’s work as well, and are quite accurate. Last deer shot was with 123 Sierra BTHP and AR Comp-got about 25yds and done. Trust 6.5GR with good shot placement and proper bullet, as noted.

Reactions: lou400a
    I’m excited to get this Ruger 16” Grendel and throw my nomad on there and work up some loads.
    If the 123eld shoots good, may just use it for game also, seems to do ok even though it’s a match bullet

Reactions: Mblackmon4
    A lot of people like that ELDm for hunting and swear by it. I’ve taken two deer with it and a few hogs with good effect, I’m using a 16” CZ

Reactions: CrazyDoc