• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

who uses automatic transmission fluid as lubricant

Re: who uses automatic transmission fluid as lubricant

My car ('95 Honda Accord LX Wagon) uses Castrol 20W-50, and Castrol Dexron IV, best grade filter, oil change every 3K miles, trans drained and flushed every year, Engine restore added every year. Currently at 265K miles.

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My car ('95 Honda Accord LX Wagon) uses Castrol 20W-50, and Castrol Dexron IV, best grade filter, oil change every 3K miles, trans drained and flushed every year, Engine restore added every year. Currently at 265K miles.

Greg</div></div>
And a timing belt EVERY 90K

Didn't know that, Thanks. I would appear to be about 40K overdue.

BTW, that fix about removing the oil in the plug recesses worked.

Greg

Not just ATF. Latex deteriorates in the presence of most mineral oils. That is why neoprene was developed.

Greg

Use an open gear lube. Designed to have some viscosity because it's used in an open application but it also has to have great lubricity. I work in the mining industry where this stuff is used all the time in HARSH applications and it really does the trick.

Re: who uses automatic transmission fluid as lubri

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GUNNER75</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Oh hell no, got to love that "deep" 90wt or Main engine cap/bolt smell! Oh how I miss that on a cold winter morning. LOL

</div></div>

<span style="color: #3333FF">EVERYONE HAS THEIR OPINION. USE WHAT WORKS BEST FOR YOU! </span>

<span style="color: #990000">HOW ABOUT FRICTION MODIFIER FOR LIMITED SLIP DIFFERENTIALS? GOT TO BE THE WORST SMELLING SUBSTANCE ON EARTH!
eek.gif
I THINK AN UNCAPPED SEPTIC TANK SMELLS BETTER THAN FRICTION MODIFIER. </span>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kent H.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mobil 1 here. </div></div>
+1. Good stuff.

Re: who uses automatic transmission fluid as lubri

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MtnMan2</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GUNNER75</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Oh hell no, got to love that "deep" 90wt or Main engine cap/bolt smell! Oh how I miss that on a cold winter morning. LOL

</div></div>

<span style="color: #3333FF">EVERYONE HAS THEIR OPINION. USE WHAT WORKS BEST FOR YOU! </span>

<span style="color: #990000">HOW ABOUT FRICTION MODIFIER FOR LIMITED SLIP DIFFERENTIALS? GOT TO BE THE WORST SMELLING SUBSTANCE ON EARTH!
eek.gif
I THINK AN UNCAPPED SEPTIC TANK SMELLS BETTER THAN FRICTION MODIFIER. </span> </div></div>

+ 1 on the smell! wouldn't use it as a lube,by it self.

I like to mix up some Marvel Mystery Oil and kerosene in a large coffee can and let it soak for a day. I then let is drip/air dry and assemble. The mixture seems to penetrate the parts making them smooth as glass. Being a former Navy pilot, I love the smell of kerosene.

Kyle

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rookie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mobil 1 on all my guns for years. However, a mechanic at Kwik Car told me that Mobil 1, while it has the best reputation among synthetics, actually does not lubricate as well as Royal Purple. I dont know. Does anyone know anything about Royal Purple? </div></div>RP came in last in a HP comparison between racing oils done not too long ago. There are two RP's...one you can buy in Pep Boys, which is no better than anything else, and a racing formula RP which is expensive and OK. Some swear by it.
Conventional (petroleum) oils of today have far less high pressure lubricating properties than they did even 5 yrs ago, mostly because they've removed 99% of the zinc content. Specialized race oils like the RP Race, Red Line, Joe Gibbs, etc. have a much higher ZDDP content, and provide much better high pressure lubrication. Synthetics are a different story.

On M1...there are plenty of successful racing engine builders that swear by it (I'm one). I also love it in my AR's and handguns.

ATF is <span style="font-style: italic">barely</span> a lubricant, and V8 juice will strip the bluing off your rifle faster than anything. (don't ask me how I know that...ugh!)

Royal Purple makes a gun lube. I've heard from a couple of folks that it's really good stuff. I was given a can to try but haven't used it yet. A friend is building a new titanium 1911 that's REALLY tight, we're going to try it on that when it's ready to shoot.