• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Who uses camera filters for adjusting incoming light on their scope?

JGorski

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 25, 2011
Central Wis.
Noticed on a youtube vid that I could use 62mm camera filters on my new 10-50x60mm Sightron, so i ordered a set from Amazon, figured they will protect my objective plus filter out unwanted light. Who else uses these?
PksWcq0.jpg

Keep in mind, just like in photography, if you put a cheap filter on a expensive lens/scope, you can actually degrade the seen image, even if it is a clear filter. What is it you hope to achieve by using a filter on your scope other than perhaps being able to see into rooms/cars through a glass window?

It was more of a savings between these and a 50 buck sunshade. I do not notice any degradation with any of these filters, the darker ones do calm down the bright sunlight hitting the snow. They also will protect my objective, not that I'm going to war with it, but it will keep things scratch free.

I've always wanted to try out a circular polarizer on my scope...

It was more of a savings between these and a 50 buck sunshade.

I don't see how a filter would take the place of a sun shade. If anything, a filter will increase, not decrease the possibility of glare, both from the perspective of the shooter and the shootee. The filter I see as being useful would be a rotatable polarizing filter.

I'm having trouble thinking of a time when I wanted less light coming into my scope.

I've always wanted to try out a circular polarizer on my scope...
I have a 58MM in the protective cap of a 100mm spotting scope. Helps me locate targets that are very close to being perfectly hidden via cammo. When you find an interesting place to look, as your turning the polarizer it helps to drag out detail that would not be seen with the std lens alone.
In the field I can fit it to my 58mm SN/3 when going lite weight. A different style protector is on the 40mm leupold that turns everything yellow, which helps at times for detection as well. Different polarizers for different lighting an tasks,... but you'll have a short learning curve with each different one.

Ok to play with filters if you are just fooling around. However, If you have them on your scope in a hunting situation and the weather is snowy, wet, damp, or the rifle has recently experienced a change in temperature they are likely to be completely fogged up or visually degraded due to the plain air interface on both sides of the filter.

Think wet fogged up glasses!

I don't see how a filter would take the place of a sun shade. If anything, a filter will increase, not decrease the possibility of glare, both from the perspective of the shooter and the shootee. The filter I see as being useful would be a rotatable polarizing filter.

That would be the filter in the front of the pic.

What I meant was unwanted or glare coming thru.

Glare coming through a scope is caused by refraction in the objective lens. A light source hitting the lens directly will cause glare. I would think puting a filter on your objective bell would just be like moving the objective lens as far forward as it could possibly be, increasing the angles by which a light source could hit it- nearly 90 degrees- and cause glare. That is why I don't see how a filter (which places a lens as far forward as possible) can take the place of a sun shade (which works on the principle of getting the objective lens as far back from the opening as possible).

If you mean excessive light coming through the scope, and not glare due to refraction, then tinted glasses would work. Or, maybe a sun shade in front of your filter if you'd rather not wear glasses. That way you'd reduce refraction AND reduce the "volume" of light reaching your eyes.

Have tried highest quality multicoated linear polarization filter.
Theoretically it should help especially against bright light, but in practice it dims image too much. As result, less visible details than without filter. Only sensible purpose is see for it is mil/leo use when need to see trough windows.

Last edited:
Who uses camera filters for adjusting incoming light on their scope?

I use a simple skylight filter on my SIII. Considering a UV for certain days.

Aside from shooting I also do photography... I see the main benefit would be using a yellow filter for target shooting to maximize the black and white on paper targets. The yellow also enhances contrast in snowy conditions, which is why snow skiers will wear yellow tinted goggles.....