• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Who uses Loctite

Ferryman

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2009
UK
Just got my US Optics SN3 and scope mounts and was wondering who uses Loctite when fitting the base to the action?.

Also torque value for the securing screws.

In the past I have never used loctite nor torque wrench on the screws, just used good old snug up and little bit extra.

Re: Who uses Loctite

Torque is typically 15-20 inch pounds. I rarely use Loctite when mounting up a scope.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rhys</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Torque is typically 15-20 inch pounds. I rarely use Loctite when mounting up a scope. </div></div>

That would be for the caps. At the base screws you want to go at least 60 in-lbs and yes the torque value is important....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ferryman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hi KY

So the 6 X 48@ 60 lbs in </div></div>

Yes the base screws 15 to 20 inch pounds

Well here is my chance to try out the new Borka Torque Wrench.

just need the shorten the front 2 screws

Now I am confused

KYshooter says 60lbs in

David says 15 to 20

I do about 25 inch-lbs on the scope base to the receiver. 65 inch-lbs on the rings to the base and 15 inch-lbs on the ring caps.

Here is a general FYI

Base to Action- 20-25 in lbs
Rings to Base- 55-65 in lbs
Ring Tops to Ring Bottoms- 10-20 depending on manufacturer

edited after correction by Randy....sorry about that guys

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deadly0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here is a general FYI

Base to Action- 45-50 in lbs
</div></div>

Way too much. You should never need for the 20 inch for base screws to receiver. A little blue Loc-Tite is good since it's not easy to recheck torque on these screws and you won't need heat to take them out.

Badger Ordnance instructs 15-20 in/lbs on base to receiver. And loctite.

You did not tell us what rifle/action/ring & base you are using.

Typically, blue locktite - yes!

Assuming you are using Badger base & rings, follow the instructions in link DavidD sent above. Above all, follow the base & ring manufacturer recommendations for torque.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ferryman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Now I am confused

KYshooter says 60lbs in

David says 15 to 20 </div></div>

Little 6-48's and 8-40's won't take 60 in-lb and leave you happy. Those little screws will go to hell fast.

The cross bolt that holds the ring to the base gets 60ish in-lb and the little screws are 15-20 depending upon the maker's spec.

The NF rings and base I put on a 308 recently were:

6-48's on for base to action: 15 in-lb
Ring halves clamping together: 15 in-lb
Crossbolt on ring to base: 68 in-lb

I use loctite on base screws. Here is the typical values for a lubricated fastener per most hardware manufacturers. Even though the screw may take more on a high strength fastener, the shallow holes and material in action may not.

#6 is 12 in-lbs
#8 is 21
#10 is 35 (may be more if cross bolt with high strength bolt and nut)
1/4 is 80

I would be carefull exceeding these by much.

Thanks guys.

Degreased everything then,I decided to use Loctite 243 and torqued the 6-48,s to 20lbs in.

Will be a few days before I shoot them so plenty of time for the loctite to cure.

I torque the base screws, remove, degrease screws and holes, apply blue locktite, and torque to the proper value.

Trying them first saves me if one is a tad too long.