• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Who wants to help me pick out my next dog.

.30Nate

Private
Minuteman
Sep 14, 2013
Lima ohio
Well guys it's time for me to start thinking about getting another dog. The dog I have now is 15 and doesn't have much time left (about made me cry to type that). I'll be moving to a new house in the country with 10 acers for him or her to run around on in the next couple months. I need it to be good around kids, guard the house during the day while I'm at work. This will be an inside and outside dog that will sleep in my room at night. I want the dog to fully understang that it's number 1 job is protecting the house and his family. I would really like to leave him outside during the day (weather permiting) wearing some kind of collar that shocks him it he gets too far from the house, I don't want him runnng all over the country side.

What bread best fits the bill? Also any recommendation on that type of collar?

Last edited:
Couple questions?
Where do you live and what is the weather like mostly?
More important to have a guard dog or a kid safe dog?
Do you like to hunt upland birds or duck hunt?

Finally, how much money do you want to spend? Dogs are a lot like guns. You can pay up front and get a well bred healthy one or you can pay later for health problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Couple questions?
Where do you live and what is the weather like mostly?
More important to have a guard dog or a kid safe dog?
Do you like to hunt upland birds or duck hunt?

Finally, how much money do you want to spend? Dogs are a lot like guns. You can pay up front and get a well bred healthy one or you can pay later for health problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ohio, it can be -20 in the winter and 100 in the summer.
I would like a good mix of both really.
I do like to hunt but not birds or ducks.
As far as cost goes I would like to keep it around 1000.00 max.

There will be a pond for the dog to play in also.

The best dogs we've had have been Rotties. Males. From the time my kids were infants we had one around and it was like they were programmed to know what to do around kids and strangers. First one I Schutzhund trained which was a great bonding experience for the dog and myself. Second one was more like a pet, but I did some informal Schutzhund work with him also.

The problem with any dog is that they die too soon.

Forget the shocking and fencing and invest in training.

I've been toying around quite a bit lately on which dogs to get when I move out to the ranch property in a few years. For sure one will be a Hangin' Tree cow dog as my Father-in-Law's is amazing working the cows (much training needed, I know). Was also looking at getting a Rhodesian for when the spousal unit wants to go on her long walks through the woods as they are about perfect for what was originally listed. Other top picks are the Chesapeake Bay Retriever and Smooth Collie. I want at least a couple of decent sized dogs to minimize the chances of Coyotes coming in and removing them. Other possiblities such as BMC's, Plott Hounds, and Catahoulas were somewhat appealing, but they roam a bit too much and can be a bit hard to train.

You need to figure out which breed is best for you. As stated above, shedding, amount of training needed, and general temperment are all important factors. I want something that can be relied upon to protect the property, but isn't a huge liability if a new friend pulls up to the house with kids. I'd rather have something that just barked at strangers and kept the coyotes away from the barn cats. I'm well armed for a reason, and would prefer to just be warned by the barking. However, you might be looking for something completely different. That is the beauty of different breeds, because they suit different needs and personalities. Genetic issues with the breed are also a big issue for me as I am looking for a hearty breed, and fortunately for me my better half is a Veterinarian so I get a little extra insight.

Last edited:
Couple of thoughts:
Consider shedding and what you're willing to put up with as far as hair in your house. A GSD sheds year round and molts in the spring. :) A Doberman sheds very little, but will likely have a hard time in really cold weather.

Think about fencing / gating your yard / drive.

IMHO, make the move and get settled in before getting the new dog.

+1

Needless to say, I hope you and your current dog's life together has been full of love and great times. If there's anything that stabs me in the heart the most, it's been the dogs I've had in my life, I absolutely love them. I would vote Wired Hair Fox Terrier just based on my bias ;)
But as the other post go, there are plenty that fit the bill for you.

Needless to say, I hope you and your current dog's life together has been full of love and great times. If there's anything that stabs me in the heart the most, it's been the dogs I've had in my life, I absolutely love them. I would vote Wired Hair Fox Terrier just based on my bias ;)
But as the other post go, there are plenty that fit the bill for you.

We're on our second Smooth Fox Terrier. Fantastic dogs!

I can't advise which dog, I'm a lab guy and many of them are just too friendly to be watch dogs, but I would like to address the indoor/outdoor bit in extreme weather.

Wyoming gets nippy in the winter, (several days of -20 and colder this year) and gets warm in the summer. What's cold or hot for me isn't the same for my dogs (I have 4) and even the dogs have different likes and dislikes for weather.

I installed a "doggie door" and let the dog decide when to come in, and when to go outside. Some people don't like doggie doors because they are afraid of other critters coming and going. As I said my dogs are too friendly to be good watch dogs, but they would allow any un-wanted critters in the house. A "guard dog" would be more aggressive in that situation.

Weathermen lie, they may said its going to be mild when I leave for the day, then it could turn cold or hot. I want the dogs to be able to decide where they want to be for their comfortable.

Korean Jindo Dog
Temperament: Bold, Loyal, Faithful, Brave, Active, Intelligent

Great dog for what your describing. Known as a hunting dog and capable of taking down deer. This dog will stay loyal to you and your family.

We have an aussie and a mini aussie and they are bar none the best dogs we've ever had. Very smart and sweet disposition, but will bark is someone comes around. The full size aussie is a better dog, but I don't know if that's a breed thing or just an individual thing. Border collies are good too.

We have way to many dogs. However, they serve different purposes. I have 3 great pyrenees and 1 pyrenees and anatolian shepherd mix for guarding the animals on the farm. They will bark at strangers coming onto the property. They are friendly enough with family members, but we do not play with them and show little affection towards them. These dogs need to guard the live stock. We have two Akitas, 1 male and 1 female. These dogs are very affectionate towards the family and aloof towards strangers. These dogs are inside outside dogs and are know for being protective of family and property. The last Akita we had use to kill coyotes and bring them house to show us and he would play with the goats we had. I have never had an Akita bite a person, knock on wood. The two I have now will make a total of 5 Akitas that I have owned. We have a Chihuahua and yorkie mix which is a yapper dog. Also, we are fostering a friends dog, shepherd mix, who had become fear aggressive.

As far as any dog goes do your research. What might be good for some is terrible for others. An Akita is a ver powerful dog that you need to stay on top of so they know there place. If not they will try and become the boss. You don't want that with any dog breed, especially a large breed. Look at your life style. If you don't have a lot of time to spend with a dog don't get an Australian shepherd or border collie , for example.

When I lived in Santa Monica there was a girl who got a lab for a companion dog. The problem was she was never there. The dog had tons of energy and would eat through walls in the apartment she was renting. She got a crate for it and the dog ripped the crate into pieces. Mind you this was a metal crate. I had two Akitas living in my apartment and never had any problems.

Also, check out the breeder your going to get the dogs from. Are they breeding the dog correctly? Are they breeding for a certain temperament? The AKC website is a good place to look at dogs. You can find out which lifestyle fits the dog breed and their temperament. It's not the end all of places, but a starting point. Once you find some dogs that match what fits then you can do more detail searches on those particular breeds. Good luck.

I'd recommend allowing your old guy to live out his final days in peace. If you introduce a new dog, ESPECIALLY a puppy, it's going to nag your old guy to death and make him miserable. He's also going to have to deal with "pack order" issues that have been long settled for him in his world, which is your family.
The new dog is going to get all the attention etc and further make your current dog unsettled with it's place in your family.

After your guy has passed, and you're ready, set about on getting the new dog. The process of selecting a new dog can also help the kids get over the loss of the one they grew up with.

My personal recommendation for your purposes would be a (European) Shepherd. $1000 is going to be tough but possible to get a decent one. If you decide to go that route let me know and I'll put you in touch with someone who can help you get a QUALITY shepherd from import lines. Do not confuse the American German Shepherd that abounds here with real Shepherds.

Thanks for all the imput guys. I plan on waiting till Kane (my current dog) has passed before getting another one. I tend to research things for a long time so I'm just getting a jump on this I guess. I'm hoping Kane can hang on a couple more months so he can always be at the new home with us. I have read that moving can send a dog into shock is there any truth to that? If so what can we do to make it easyer on him?

When I said I would put the new dog outside during the day while I was at work I ment only in good weather and there will be a dog house for him to go into if it would happen to rain or something.

[MENTION=73953]bogeybrown[/MENTION], Thanks for the offer, I'll be getting a hold of you.

Mastiff. Gentle enough to be a babies pillow, ferocious enough to rip a man's arm off and floss with it. They are INSANELY protective especially of women.

Thanks for all the imput guys. I plan on waiting till Kane (my current dog) has passed before getting another one. I tend to research things for a long time so I'm just getting a jump on this I guess. I'm hoping Kane can hang on a couple more months so he can always be at the new home with us. I have read that moving can send a dog into shock is there any truth to that? If so what can we do to make it easyer on him?

When I said I would put the new dog outside during the day while I was at work I ment only in good weather and there will be a dog house for him to go into if it would happen to rain or something.

[MENTION=73953]bogeybrown[/MENTION], Thanks for the offer, I'll be getting a hold of you.

No problem buddy. I certainly don't have all the answers, but I'm a full-time K9 guy, so I hope I can at least help out a bit.

Moving can be hugely unsettling, especially if Kane has been at the last house for 15 years. At his age you may not have some of the issues of him running off that you could with a younger dog, but it's still going to be a huge "adjustment" for him. I'd recommend setting up as much of his familiar stuff in as familiar a way as possible for him in the new house. Remember that smells are HUGE to dogs, so bring his rotten assed dog bed and toys etc and set them up for him. Don't let the wife wash all that stuff. The familiar smells are the only ones he's going to have in the new house, EVERY other thing there is going to be new and foreign to him. Try to put his food and water in as similar a place as possible to where it is now as well.

I'd recommend walking the property with him often, especially in the beginning so that y'all establish with each other that it's HIS property now. I used to drive my (now ex) wife crazy, because my alpha and I used to go pee on trees in the back yard together :eek: Play ball or something with him in the new yard and encourage the kids to play with him or at least take him for walks around the new land so he further understands that it's "his" now. I'd be very careful about letting him out without supervision if there's no hard fencing, because he isn't going to know where his property stops for a while. That's one of the reasons for walking it with him. When he gets "out of bounds" you need to be there to call him back and help him to learn what's his and what isn't.

I also tend to indulge the mutts a little more with treats or whatever when I subject them to something stressful. It's not bribery so much as making something unsettling as positive or enjoyable as possible. He's going to draw huge non-verbal cues from you and the rest of the family so try to make the whole thing as positive as possible for him.

I know a move is a BITCH for everyone, and I'm making him the center of attention so to speak. Obviously the family needs to get moved and million things need to happen for y'all to get settled in. Just keep in mind that y'all are able to talk to each other as people, HE on the other hand is going to be going through a huge WTF for a while.

I love my labs. They dont really fit the bill of a guard dog but the are extremely loyal and protective of family. They are great around kids and do really well indoors and out.

A german sheaperd would be another good option. I have never had one but have met some great ones

Good luck

Get a Dogo Argentino they a freaking awesome. My brother brought one home from Uruguay

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Dogo argentino. Enough said end of discussion. If you know anything about them you will look no further

I say Mastiffs and or Rhodesian ridge back.

Ridgebacks may not work the best in your climate, being short haired dogs, they are not great outside in freezing winters, they excel at doing lots of activity in hot weather that many other dogs would overheat in, but need to be protected from very cold/wet or freezing.

I've been seriously considering a Cane Corso. Check them out. Seem like amazing dogs; good to the family but serious enough for protecting the homestead.

I have an Alaskan Malamute that is about the best dog I ever had. She is loyal, family orientated and huge; about the size of a large wolf with similar features. I have found the Mal's to be very smart as well, but they can also be a bit stubborn so you have to maintain alpha status, but they will not challenge you. They just stop listening, kind of like women. I have has Labs, Norwegian Elkhound, German Shepard and Border Collies and all had there place in the family but so far the Mal seems to fit your list the best out of the breeds I have first hand experience with.

Sully

Chesapeake Bay Retriever; hardy, smart, driven and protective. I've owned 3

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Who wants to help me pick out my next dog.

Get a Dogo Argentino they a freaking awesome. My brother brought one home from Uruguay

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

ape4epyg.jpg

^^^ Dogo! One day old...

Well shit now I have a bunch of dogs to read up on, thanks guys!

Now I have another dog realated issue to deal with. I was talking to the home owners insurance lady last night about getting coverage on the the new place and she ask about dogs. I told her about the one I have now and she said that he wouldn't be a problem. Then she went through the list that would be, and it's pretty much every dog listed in this thread. I'm have a hard time getting insurance the way it is becuase the new place is a log cabin. So any tricks to getting around the insurance lady? This entire buying a new house, selling the old one is a huge fucking pain in my ass!

I have 2 Rhodesian Ridgebacks and love them. They are very protective of family and property. They do very well at reading body language when someone comes close to any of my family. If we are comfortable they go about their business if not they typically stay in close proximity to just sit and watch. They absolutely love my little girls and have been awesome with them since the day they were born. I will say they are very active and need some exercise or like a lot of breeds can get destructive out of boredom.

I suggest looking into a Catahoula but the most important thing I can say is ----> Not everyone should own a Catahoula. They are very smart and if you don't own them, they will own you. They are a working breed so they need to be busy / have a friend / another dog. If they are not busy, things will get torn up. They shouldn't be crated as it will cause depression due to their working dog nature. They are "protectors of their domain". My 2nd to last pup, even at 6 weeks old, stood his ground and defended my parents house when my uncle came over for a visit. LOL. So, they need to be socialized properly. They are used in many applications, guard dogs, cow dogs, human trailing, one Catahoula was used to find people in 9/11, blood trailing and more. A pup raised around kids would be some of the best insurance you could buy. They come in many different colors, some with leopard spotting and with glass eyes. Weight varies from 40lbs to 90 lbs. The cowboys go for the smaller dogs for agility and the hog hunters go for the larger builds. I prefer the larger body with boxy head.

Well shit now I have a bunch of dogs to read up on, thanks guys!

Now I have another dog realated issue to deal with. I was talking to the home owners insurance lady last night about getting coverage on the the new place and she ask about dogs. I told her about the one I have now and she said that he wouldn't be a problem. Then she went through the list that would be, and it's pretty much every dog listed in this thread. I'm have a hard time getting insurance the way it is becuase the new place is a log cabin. So any tricks to getting around the insurance lady? This entire buying a new house, selling the old one is a huge fucking pain in my ass!

You said you liked to do research. Here's 6 pages or so on the topic from a little while back. Most of the breeds thrown around here so far were raised in that thread as well:

http://www.snipershide.com/shooting/bear-pit/231695-protection-dogs.html

I think at some point I even discussed homeowners policies. In short, if the insurance people are breed-specific and not behavior-oriented then you can either get a breed that they approve of (which by their criteria will probably make it worthless as a gaurd/protection dog) or you can do what I did and lie your ass off. You just suck it up if you have an oops because your insurance won't cover you.
Basically, decide what you want the dog for. If it's a pet and playmate for the kids, then get whatever the hell you want and enjoy it. If you're looking for more of a protection-oriented dog, read the whole thread I linked and that will give you a pretty good overview.

Coonador... I am a lab guy for sure. My last one, a very muscular and lovable yellow block head, could bellow loud and hard enough that things around the house would shake. But if an evil-doer were to have come through the door with peanut butter and/or a vacuum cleaner then my boy was going to be out of commission. I now have a half black lab/half redbone coon hound, or coonador. Incredibly athletic dog in and out of (and even under) water that can make an incredible array of ear piercing noises. She hasn't figured out that the brown truck is a friendly. While she is not afraid of much, including a charging vacuum cleaner, she will not bite anyone for any reason that I have found, and the lab half of her makes her infinitely bribeable with food.

Just depends on what you want out of your dog. And like a lot of other dog-lovers I am always eager to tell someone about my dog.

I vote for the Tibetan Mastiff, I will get another one some day. Probably the smartest most protective dog i have ever had or been around, and extremely great with children. They do shed but you can limit it with good brushing and proper diet.

Ever been exposed to a well raised Airedale? Definitely not for the weak of heart but if just damn tough was a picture it would be black , brown , and curly. Hard headed ? Yes but consistancy in the upbringing makes it a lot easier. Loyal,fearless,athletic, but a bit of the clown also. I've had Airdawgs for the last thirty odd years just never had reason to have much else. ( Other than Sadie, the female GS that adopted us and lived out her years with us)

Go with a Falcon, superior air power beats ground forces any day.

Sully

Yeah yeah, but you don't truly OWN the ground until you have boots standing on it saying "come take it bitch".

As a Louisianian, I recommend a Protection Crawfish:

If you put a dog, no matter how tough, and a crawfish, on the railroad tracks in front of a train the dog is going to run, but the crawfish is going to raise up with both his claws in the air and challenge that thing.

Yeah yeah, but you don't truly OWN the ground until you have boots standing on it saying "come take it bitch".

As a Louisianian, I recommend a Protection Crawfish:

If you put a dog, no matter how tough, and a crawfish, on the railroad tracks in front of a train the dog is going to run, but the crawfish is going to raise up with both his claws in the air and challenge that thing.

As a fellow Louisianian I can testify to the undeniable fierceness of crawfish first hand. My Coonador went paw to claw with a large crawfish who did anything but back down from a monster a hundred times his size. When she got all up in the crawdaddies grill it latched onto her ear. She began thrashing about, and I imagine it hurt pretty bad, but that little sucker would not let go. Finally his claw, arm and all, just ripped right off his body, which went flying somewhere never to be seen again. But that claw stayed put until I broke it off of her ear. Now that's commitment.

Last edited:
As a fellow Louisianian I can testify to the undeniable fierceness of crawfish first hand. My Coonador went paw to claw with a large crawfish who did anything but back down from a monster a hundred times his size. When she got all up in the crawdaddies grill it latched onto her ear. She began thrashing about, and I imagine it hurt pretty bad, but that little sucker would not let go. Finally his claw, arm and all, just ripped right off his body, which went flying somewhere never to be seen again. But that claw stayed put until I broke it off of her ear. Now that's commitment.

Yeah you Right! :D
All of my dogs have challenged and lost to Crawfish, even the Bully/Mastiff mix. They get so damn frustrated with an animal that much smaller that won't give an ounce of ground or tuck-tail. For those of you who read the "Protection Dogs" thread I linked, Moses and I will be breeding protection crawfish for the very reasonable starting price of $1000 a piece, which is a mere 1% of what Snake River K9 is charging people for dogs. We'll make you a deal on a "pack" of them (which we call a "sack" down where we're from).

They're guaranteed to stand their ground in the face of all the obscure bulldogs and Mastiffs from around the world, and if they ever lose a fight they taste GREAT with some boiled corn, new potatoes, and sausage. I'll even include a free jar of Zatarains seafood boil with each order.

I'm a big fan of Neopolitan Mastiffs. Granted you'll never see one live to 15yrs (more in the 8-10yr range), but they are extremely good around kids, but can be a fierce guard dog. Our Neo Mastiff, who passed away in December of 2012, was one of the best dogs we've ever had. She weighed in at 140lbs and was extremely well trained. The mastiffs are built to protect, and they have an extreme disposition to ensuring the family is safe. We also had a 10lb dog and they were best friends...proving that the giant can indeed be gentle. You definitely need to invest in some training for whatever dog you get, and make it a family event. Everyone needs to be on-board with the training techniques to ensure your dog is obedient when interacting with any member of the family.

You probably won't have to worry about the mastiff wandering too far from the house. They can be fairly lazy. The dog would probably tend to hang around the house most of the day, but could be active at a moments notice if someone arrives on the property.

If you like the neopolitan mastiffs, be prepared to open your wallet. I think we spent $2500 on ours. Worth every penny, and we'll be getting another one after our current dog passes.

Just my 2 cents.