• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Who wants to recommend me a scope? (sub $1k, med range, 6.5 Creedmoor)

zimm17

Private
Minuteman
Aug 18, 2012
Florida
I read through the "So you want to buy a long range scope" article and it fully changed my thinking. I was going to get a Vortex PST 5x25-56 and call it a day. So while I dream of running PRS matching with my brand new 6.5CM bolt gun, the reality of my life is that I'm going to be sitting on a bench at 100 yards 99% of the time. I'm going to join another range one of these days that offers 500 yards.

We're still military (well the wife is, I retired) so we have some PCS moves coming up. I may get to try 1000 yard someday.

Maybe I don't need a complicated FFP reticle for shooting on the move. I can easily dial my turrets in for the range and wind. I won't have a spotter.

I use a 3x10 mil-dot on my precision .223 AR and it works just fine. I just want enough elevation, magnification, and quality for this to be a nice scope though with room to grow.

I definitely want turrets without caps. Parallax adjustment would be nice. I'm still thinking 5x25 or maybe 4-18x.

It's going on a Howa 1500 build, so a made in a Japan scope would be a nice match.

Last edited:
With gen 2 razors going for 1500 I would save up a tad more and pick one up used

New or willing to look at used scopes?

Check out the Vortex PST 6-24x50. Excellent scope and under $1000. It has a couple different reticle choices.

I’d consider used. Never again on a rifle but maybe on a scope. Anyone want a socom m1a that won’t shoot under 3moa even with gunsmithing? Lol.

• Sad
Reactions: wade2big
I won't go used on anything unless I know the person and the history of the item, regardless of what it is, I've been burned too many times. Do yourself a favor and go to Eurooptic.com, they have PST Gen II 5-25x50 MRAD on closeout for $699. I know there are some on this board that'll tell you anything below a Razor is junk, but its not. I just got the MOA version and love it, it makes ringing steel at 600 yards with my AR almost too easy.

I read through the "So you want to buy a long range scope" article and it fully changed my thinking. I was going to get a Vortex PST 5x25-56 and call it a day. So while I dream of running PRS matching with my brand new 6.5CM bolt gun, the reality of my life is that I'm going to be sitting on a bench at 100 yards 99% of the time. I'm going to join another range one of these days that offers 500 yards.

We're still military (well the wife is, I retired) so we have some PCS moves coming up. I may get to try 1000 yard someday.

Maybe I don't need a complicated FFP reticle for shooting on the move. I can easily dial my turrets in for the range and wind. I won't have a spotter.

I use a 3x10 mil-dot on my precision .223 AR and it works just fine. I just want enough elevation, magnification, and quality for this to be a nice scope though with room to grow.

I definitely want turrets without caps. Parallax adjustment would be nice. I'm still thinking 5x25 or maybe 4-18x.

It's going on a Howa 1500 build, so a made in a Japan scope would be a nice match.
So what do you want differently than the PST? More performance, cheaper, simpler? Not sure which direction you're trying to go - generally speaking, the PST gen 2 is a really good option for exactly what you're talking about.

If you want to move up a notch, I absolutely love my Delta Stryker 4.5-30. The only scopes I like better than it are $3k+ new and $2k+ used. Razor Gen 2 is another good option, but I just don't like any of their reticles. Both of those are made in Japan.

In that price range....all day I would go pre-owned Razor Gen II. I know you said $1000, but seriously, the Gen II Razor pinches way above its weight class, and can be had for just a bit more. The new NX8 series from NF are fantastic, but they are also $1500.
If you REALLY are at $1K, I’d take a look at the NF SHV 4-14 F1. They are $1K brand new. They are NF quality, great warranty, illuminated, and very good glass. I’d take one ALL DAY over any PST.

Reactions: M8541Reaper
If you're at $1k and want made in Japan, go with an SWFA 5-20, especially if PRS isn't a priority right now and you can live without a christmas tree reticle. By far the best glass and build quality at $1k.

Reactions: Mxridr
I have a Viper PST Gen II 5-25 and honestly I could not be happier. I think it’s a killer deal for about $800. Yes, a Razor is better but it’s twice the price. It’s not twice as good, maybe 25% better, certainly not 100% better though.

Keep an eye open in the PX here for a gen 1 Razor 5-20. They go used right at 1k.

I’m in a similar position, I’ve got a new 6.5 rifle on the way. I do have access to 1000 about 30 minutes from home. I was pretty set on the PST Gen II, but the more I’ve been reading and after looking through both side by side I’m infatuated with the Gen 2 Razor. Used to new seems to be about a $200 difference, so I’m shopping for new.

My current rifle has a PST Gen 1 6-24 MRAD, it’s a very good optic, but I want something better. If looking at the Europtic deal on the 4D reticle, I would certainly spend the extra $100 on the PST Gen II.

Last edited:
I’ve got a bushnell XRS 4.5-30 in MK4 rings that I’ll let go for 1k. Used but not abused. Don’t need to get rid of it but it’s just sitting on a shelf.

If you REALLY are at $1K, I’d take a look at the NF SHV 4-14 F1. They are $1K brand new. They are NF quality, great warranty, illuminated, and very good glass. I’d take one ALL DAY over any PST.

Exactly.

1,000,000% NF over a PST any and every day. You can even find some used NXS models around 1k as well.

With NF vs the PST, you won’t have that feeling of regret in a few years lol.

Best of luck!

Exactly.

1,000,000% NF over a PST any and every day. You can even find some used NXS models around 1k as well.

With NF vs the PST, you won’t have that feeling of regret in a few years lol.

Best of luck!
100%.... however you will down the road experience a different kind of regret, “why didn’t I buy an ATACR?!?”

Reactions: M8541Reaper
The SHV's have MOA turrets and MIL reticles? I read that's a no-no.

If you're at $1k and want made in Japan, go with an SWFA 5-20, especially if PRS isn't a priority right now and you can live without a christmas tree reticle. By far the best glass and build quality at $1k.

The SWFA is $1300 and ticks all the right boxes for options. I don't know anything about them. Obviously a house brand. Where are they made? The made in Japan scopes are probably from the same optics factory (just like anything made these days), with each brand's specifications and price points. Probably from here: https://www.jolusa.com

I'll definitely wait for the 6/18 Vortex product release before buying anything though.

Edit: I finally watched the youtube above. I like the Nikon, mostly because I already own 4 of them. That's still a contender, I just hope they all don't have super stiff knobs like the tester's model had.

Last edited:
Check out Camera Land these are the best two deals I have seen.

IMO: I wouldn't touch the SWFA or PST at those prices. There are plenty scopes now that offer the same or better performance for less money.

I am not the least bit scared of used scopes. I have bought and sold many with very few if any problems.

Reactions: Magnumitis
Bushnell Forge 4.5-27x 50 might be a good option. Available in either mil or Moa. Under $1k

The only issue with the 4-27 is the limited adjustment range - ~50MOA or ~15 MILs. The 3-18 model (which I have on my 22) has almost double that, mine has ~28 mils total. The 3-18 is a really good deal for the money, especially since OP qualifies for ExpertVoice pricing.

I’d consider used. Never again on a rifle but maybe on a scope. Anyone want a socom m1a that won’t shoot under 3moa even with gunsmithing? Lol.

FWIW....

I'm just the opposite. A used rifle that shoots crappy can be re-barrelled for minimal cost. Something any rifle used regualrly will need anyway.

A used scope that tracks crappy is probably gonna end up in the junk bin (MIGHT be warranteed but that's a real "crap shoot" :) )

SWFA is legit. They are rugged and reliable, whether Classic or HD. They sell direct from their site--no middle man. Hence the quality to price ratio tends to be high.

Note: Other manufacturers at similar price points offer features not offered on SWFA's: such as zero stops or reticle selection. Consider if those are important to you (though there is an after market zero stop shim available). But in terms of build quality, they are rock solid and back their product.

If you don't care about Christmas tree reticles, their mil-quad works fine. Your stated purpose--range time, 100yds, maybe up to 500, you should be just fine. At your budget, most people like the 5-20 HD. I'm one the oddballs going from a variable back to a fixed 10x HD. Simpler, lighter, less expensive.

Nik

The SWFA is $1300 and ticks all the right boxes for options. I don't know anything about them. Obviously a house brand. Where are they made? The made in Japan scopes are probably from the same optics factory (just like anything made these days), with each brand's specifications and price points. Probably from here: https://www.jolusa.com

I'll definitely wait for the 6/18 Vortex product release before buying anything though.
They had demo non-illuminated models at $899 recently. They can be had used here for $800-$900 all day long.

They're made at LOW, which I believe makes the Cronus, Delta Stryker, some lower-end nightforce scopes, and the Razor Gen 2.

Reactions: Mxridr
In a new, sub $1K scope I'd be shopping Athlon all day long.

I'm running an Athlon Argos BTR 10-40X56 on my 6.5CM and it is literally a $1400 value for $400.

VooDoo

If you can stretch your budget to about $1300, you can pick up a Vortex Razor Gen I right now. That's a scope that was selling for $2,000 a few months ago, but is now being clearance due to the gen II coming out.

Other wise the Viper PST is a fantastic scope for just under $1000

I'm basically in the same position ... realistically going to be sitting at a bench shooting 100 yards 99% of the time. I don't even have the long range gun yet ... looking for the killer deal used and in no rush. What I have decided to do was use my RRA and I can easily play up to 600 yards in the meantime as well as save some ammo $$ while working the fundamentals. So, for a scope and knowing I didn't really need or able to justify $1500+ quality I opted for an Athlon Ares BTR 4.5-27 when they were recently on sale for $549 and included a throw ring. bubble level, and free shipping. That will be fine for what I'll be doing, will work fine even for LR at 1000 yards when opportunity presents itself, and decided that if I do get serious enough to warrant bigger $$ on better glass that I'll do it then and spend money saved now on ammo and beer :)

When I was deciding what to do I was down to the PST Gen 2 or the Athlon and I couldn't beat the Athlon deal when it came up so I went that route. The PST Gen 2 from Europtics at $700 is also a killer deal and would be a great choice as well.

With either of those if you do get serious and for some reason decided to upgrade you could always sell either of them used down the road and recoup most of your money so very little if anything lost.

Good luck!

Reactions: ffjoey
I'm basically in the same position ... realistically going to be sitting at a bench shooting 100 yards 99% of the time. I don't even have the long range gun yet ... looking for the killer deal used and in no rush. What I have decided to do was use my RRA and I can easily play up to 600 yards in the meantime as well as save some ammo $$ while working the fundamentals. So, for a scope and knowing I didn't really need or able to justify $1500+ quality I opted for an Athlon Ares BTR 4.5-27 when they were recently on sale for $549 and included a throw ring. bubble level, and free shipping. That will be fine for what I'll be doing, will work fine even for LR at 1000 yards when opportunity presents itself, and decided that if I do get serious enough to warrant bigger $$ on better glass that I'll do it then and spend money saved now on ammo and beer :)

When I was deciding what to do I was down to the PST Gen 2 or the Athlon and I couldn't beat the Athlon deal when it came up so I went that route. The PST Gen 2 from Europtics at $700 is also a killer deal and would be a great choice as well.

With either of those if you do get serious and for some reason decided to upgrade you could always sell either of them used down the road and recoup most of your money so very little if anything lost.

Good luck!
I missed the Athlon deal or I would have gotten that. The PST Gen II for $700 doesn’t make me feel bad either though.

I have yellow stickies with scribbles all over my desk. I'm still holding out for Vortex's 3/18/19 product information release before buying, however my current contenders are:

PST Gen II for $700
Nikon FZ1000 for $800
Razor HD $1300

My hold up on the Nightforce SHV are the MOA turrets. If I'm going MRAD, I want everything in MILS.

I wish I could see them in person. I can buy a lot of ammo for the difference in the Razor, especially since I'm shooting at much shorter ranges for now.

My hold up on the Nightforce SHV are the MOA turrets. If I'm going MRAD, I want everything in MILS.
They offer a 4-14 FFP SHV in a mil version and in a moa version. They are not the same scope and there are no mismatched turrets and reticles.

The vortex announcement will be fore a new reticle, I wouldnt wait up for it.

Definitely get the gen2 model pst over the old ass gen1. Dont pay over 450 for a gen 1 or you are a sucker.

PST Gen II for $700
Nikon FZ1000 for $800
Razor HD $1300

Add in the athlon midas tac for 580 bucks from cameraland if you call in on the phone.
Look into the meopta optika6, they are going for 5-700 presale on dvor right now.

And look used, maybe you can grab a bushnell lrtsi off the part exchange here for 700 bucks or so. If you dont mind 3-12x then cameraland has them new for 750.

I have yellow stickies with scribbles all over my desk. I'm still holding out for Vortex's 3/18/19 product information release before buying, however my current contenders are:

PST Gen II for $700
Nikon FZ1000 for $800
Razor HD $1300

I wish I could see them in person. I can buy a lot of ammo for the difference in the Razor, especially since I'm shooting at much shorter ranges for now.

The SHV 4-14x50 F1 is available with MIL adjustments, model C557.

Seems a bit low on magnification though. My highest scope is a 3-10x and I want to try something more, although I've never used one before. I think at least 18x, 24-25x would be better.

If you can stretch your budget to about $1300, you can pick up a Vortex Razor Gen I right now. That's a scope that was selling for $2,000 a few months ago, but is now being clearance due to the gen II coming out.

Other wise the Viper PST is a fantastic scope for just under $1000

The gen2 razor came out years ago, and the get 1s have been 1300 for a long time. The Gen2 3-18s were getting sold for 1300-1400 a month ago, brand new.

Reactions: Hollywood 6mm
I read everything I could on the Nightforce SHV 4-14x50 F1, and it does look pretty cool. I don't like that the windage is covered, the scope markings aren't visible while "on" the rifle, etc, but the quality should surpass the other scopes I'm considering. The "proud to own" factor does mean a lot to me, and made in Japan is a plus. I'm waiting to hear back on their military purchase program, hopefully it makes it a little more competitive to the Vortex.

P4Xi is good to go. Better than any other sub $2000 optic I’ve used.

Dang it. Looks like they updated it. Now I have another contender. Made in the USA too? Why isn't everyone running it over a Vortex? I'm going to be losing some sleep over this decision for sure.

You can get an Athlon Ares ETR 4.5-30x56 for ~1000ish. Different vendors here will sell them around 1000-1050. The Ares BTR was a sweet deal at $550. I'd do one of those again, but I do like the floating dot reticle more, which is why I also have the ETR.

If you're willing to go to $1350, then you have the Cronus BTR which japanese made glass.