• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Movie Theater Who would replace Clint Eastwood?

Mister Ridge

Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Aug 15, 2011
    Maryland
    Amazingly enough, this thought had nothing to do with being snowed in. Anywho, not that I would want them to but I was thinking about what would happen if they remade Dirty Harry. I was completely at a loss as to who in Hollywood could possibly replace Clint Eastwood in that role. I thought about it some more and came to the conclusion that it extends to most of Clint Eastwood's performances. I don't think Hollywood currently has someone that could replace Clint. I find that rather sad. Anybody disagree?

y7umyqep.jpg

Who would replace Clint Eastwood?

These actors are a dying breed, just like the characters they portray. There is no replacement.

This whole 're-invent the bests' is a grasp at individuality. And a failing one at that. There is a reason why most of those 'old movies' are so good (and were, at the time) and that is because of the social experiment as it stands.

One of the main things that we as humans 'enjoy' is the surprise and/or shock at something new. Prior to a number of these movies coming out, most things were unheard of or not contemplated.

Remember how much the world changed, after Star Wars came out? Things just weren't the same again, right? Or Dirty Harry, or Scarface, or The Longest Day, or Tora Tora Tora. Not to mention a multitude of other movies.

For some nostalgic originality, I'd like to see a sequel to The Professional, with Natalie Portman all growed up and doing what she knows best. Same goes for Ferris Beuhler's Day Off, to which he'd take a 'sick day from work'.

The whole point of a movie is escapism, so go all out and do so, originally. Continue with a story, if you need, but don't 're-do' a story and expect it to get accolades. At best, you'll get 50% approval, and 50% disdain. Stop being so shallow in thinking that 50% of the market income is good enough for a wage. (directors/producers take note).

diatribe off, for now.

Yeah, Im Guessing Timothy Olyphant can play just about anyone. He is going to need to get a bit more "grizzled" first. IMO

I think he's too much of a sissy. This is the same guy that got the violence on Justified toned down because he felt his character should be less violent.

Have you guys seen Anson Mount play Cullen Bohannan in "Hell on Wheels"? If you haven't, then you are surely missing something. Sure, he's TV and not movies, but don't let that stop you. You won't be disappointed.

Don't look to the past, look at what's being done today and see who's doing it.

And to speak to the OP, IMO he does fine acting for a character that would do Eastwood proud.

No one can or should replace Clint Eastwood. I don't need to see a remake. I want to see something original and new. I guess I could live with a remake of Shane.
    I mean I like Alan Ladd, but Shane left me a little flat and could be a heck of a remake.

But some of the movies with guys like Clint, Bogey, McQueen should be left alone for the original art they were/are.

Reactions: Ronws
    Two mules for Sister Sarah! Or Eiger Sanction. I thought Gran Torino was great. Fucking classics. Come on - The Good The Bad the Ugly, they try to remake that and I will launch a nuke.

No Hugh jackoff sorry man, good actor but noting about him is unique. Clint has that voice and the squint. Most actors don't have that unique quality.

Paul Neuman
    Jimmy Stewart
    Gregroy Peck
    Clark Gable
    Clint Eastwood
    Steve McQueen
    John Wayne

all unique and irreplaceable, they don't cast actors like that anymore. Perhaps only Clooney or that Scottish 300 guy?

Apparently you never watched 3 Kings....that shit was awful.

Or how about The American?

At least Jackman can act.

So you blame Clooney for a bad script and bad directing! Yeah the American was stupid but not his fault. He was great in O Brother, Where Art Thou? How about The Descendants, great flick! Up in the air, Or Gravity, he's been in some good shit.

Ok and to really geek out here Jackman was miscast as wolverine. In the comic book from Frank Miller wolverine was a short ass dude with muscles on his muscles, Jackman is a tall ass dude. But hell I'm not gonna try to talk you out of your opinions. Van Helsing…ahemmm gaaahhhh barfff…. oh sorry something stuck in the thought.

Ok to be fair both those guys are about equal but I think Clooney is a little less vanilla. But hell this is a little off topic, really! There are not a lot of classy actors left in Hollywood.

Cheers!

Replacing people...; sounds like an ad for a cyborg or 'synthetic human'. Whether or not it could be done, it shouldn't be done.

My once-over is that actors are about their portrayals, and what goes on off-camera is not part of my assessment, except in cases of deliberately attention seeking cause junkies.

The roles appear to be changing, along with whatever passes for collective judgment among the contemporary coterie of film executives. Much of what we are constrained to pay to see appears to be more about selling controversy than about crafting pure entertainment. I hate it when 'issues' take precedence over art.

Greg

Last edited:
    sacrilege to remake dirty harry, and no one can come close to replacing eastwood's swagger & one liner delivery. or possibly capture the "essence" of the movie in today's era. though there have been attempts - lethal weapon 52, die hard 47, etc.

they just don't have actors that can't act that can pull it off like back then, not even nick cage. nor a corny dialog. nor would they take 15 minutes to "document" a footchase around the block from every angle. - lets face it the cinematography, dialog, acting, background music, same actors that has been in the previous 7 eastwood movies etc, actually kinda stunk - but it worked, mostly due to the "cut the crap and do what needs to be done" principle of the movie and eastwoods swagger & one liner delivery.

sort of like saying we need another teddy roosevelt to save the country from the crap that's going on now - he'd never get elected today as he'd be viewed as too extreme and unelectable - probably wouldn't make it through the primaries, if nominated at all without getting blackballed.

but for the sake of the topic, i'd toss in charlie sheen, steven colbert, though never really a fan with some carryover character cues from the "true detective" hbo show, maybe even matthew mcconaughey. how about gov. christie as the "new" callahan.

somehow an issued cop glock, sig, or beretta just don't cut it. perhaps a .44 mag desert eagle or 500 S&W snubby as the somehow miraculously issued side arm or "backup" that's used more frequently.

before he passes this year (my prediction) maybe the retiring callahan hands over the keys to a new officer and shows him the ropes - oops, they did that in "the rookie" (eastwood / sheen)

natural believable swagger is in short supply these days.

The way Hollywood is going these days, it would probably be Tom Cruise.

The same ass-hats that cast a midget pussy in the role of Jack Reacher (an abnormally large badass) would be blowing each other over how brilliant they were.

I've been going back and watching an old Clint movie every night this week on my hard drive. "Paint your Wagon" with Lee Marvin was last night, neither of them could sing for shit and still managed to pull off a musical I've enjoyed since I was a kid.

Two mules for Sister Sarah! Or Eiger Sanction. I thought Gran Torino was great. Fucking classics. Come on - The Good The Bad the Ugly, they try to remake that and I will launch a nuke.

No Hugh jackoff sorry man, good actor but noting about him is unique. Clint has that voice and the squint. Most actors don't have that unique quality.

Paul Neuman
    Jimmy Stewart
    Gregroy Peck
    Clark Gable
    Clint Eastwood
    Steve McQueen
    John Wayne

all unique and irreplaceable, they don't cast actors like that anymore. Perhaps only Clooney or that Scottish 300 guy?

Agreed but need to add a couple of other irreplaceable

James Caan
    Robert Duvall
    Gene Hackman
    Cary Grant

BR,

The reason we can't come up with suitable replacements is because that's not the system, in Hollywood. Unless you are a left wing gun fearing pussy, you won't get any work and none of us will ever hear of you. What's that guy, Gary Sinasi, something like that? He has the credentials as a certified patriot, but lacks exposure. Bruce Willis is a conservative, not mentioned above, but he could pull it off; anybody see Pulp Fiction or Die Hard #47? BB

PS, I thought Cary Grant was queer?

edit: excuse me, I meant "Gay"

The reason we can't come up with suitable replacements is because that's not the system, in Hollywood. Unless you are a left wing gun fearing pussy, you won't get any work and none of us will ever hear of you. What's that guy, Gary Sinasi, something like that? He has the credentials as a certified patriot, but lacks exposure. Bruce Willis is a conservative, not mentioned above, but he could pull it off; anybody see Pulp Fiction or Die Hard #47? BB

PS, I thought Cary Grant was queer?

edit: excuse me, I meant "Gay"

Queer…gay? C'mon dude. Read up on the guy. Crazy man and the original spy. Watch some Hitchcock movies with him and Bergman. It may change your view.

I liked Willis in 12 Monkeys and Fifth Element. He was good in Pulp Fiction.

One guy who had some potential in Clint like movies is Roy Schneider as well.

Johhny Travolta.

Bwahahahahahahaha

Laughed at my own answer its so bad.

Reactions: Ronws
    There are a few others that will never be replaced such as Tom Selleck, Sam Elliott, Sean Connery, Gene Hackman, Tommy Lee Jones, and Jack Nicholson. They all had raw talent and could play pretty much any role given. They have class and masculinity, unlike the metrosexual pussy-men on the silver screen in this day and age.

The kind of men we are speaking of are irreplaceable, a dying breed...thanks to the Hollywood elite.

Last edited:
    sort of like saying we need another teddy roosevelt to save the country from the crap that's going on now - he'd never get elected today as he'd be viewed as too extreme and unelectable - probably wouldn't make it through the primaries, if nominated at all without getting blackballed.

Fuck that, we need a new Truman or Ike! But your right, our feelings would get all ass hurt.

I don't think the problem is with the actors, I think the problem is with the roles. Hollyweird has lost its taste for portraying manly men in positive roles. More times than not, the leading man is a metrosexual, at best. So guess who floats to the top?

To quote from H.L. Mencken, "Nobody ever went broke underestimating the taste of the American public." Hollyweird offers the proof.

Mel Gibson perhaps if he could keep himself from becoming Riggs and contains his spastic energy. Dirty Harry was always cool and in control.

I think the reason this is a topic is because the country is in need of something beyond the stale, stagnant, leaderless nation we have become. You look back to a period of quality creativity. Our culture and the things it produced were at the top. We may have had either good or bad leaders during this time but the world understood what the US stood for.

I think our entertainment is a reflection of our societies values and perceptions. Right now we are in a "Zombie era" where the seemingly sane are surrounded and assaulted by mindless, wanton takers.

That or maybe I just need to expand my appreciation of film and start to look at them for entertainment only and not reflections of reality.

Last edited:
    Amazingly enough, this thought had nothing to do with being snowed in. Anywho, not that I would want them to but I was thinking about what would happen if they remade Dirty Harry. I was completely at a loss as to who in Hollywood could possibly replace Clint Eastwood in that role. I thought about it some more and came to the conclusion that it extends to most of Clint Eastwood's performances. I don't think Hollywood currently has someone that could replace Clint. I find that rather sad. Anybody disagree?

Answer:

NOBODY

A reboot of the Dirty Harry series with a modern twist. Sounds intriguing with the proper script/dialog. Hugh Jackman bears a striking look to Clint. Check out Wolverine chops and Clint's 70 due: plus the same body build.

The first movie would be a money maker just on name rights alone.

how about Dirty Harriet?

jennifer gardner

angelina jolie

the chick from "castle"

sandra bullock

sporting a pink "judge", drives a beat up '76 impala 4 door, drinks jack daniels, and never ever misses sunday mass, though she sleeps through the whole thing.

last call....
    Clive Owen

Last edited:
    As much as I love Clint movies, and agree that he is a "one of a kind," I think the issue is less that there aren't actors out there somewhere who could fill that niche...and more that Hollywood isn't interested in producing these kinds of movies.

There is certainly a market for "guy" movies, but it seems like they fill that niche more with special effects, flashy action sequences and hyper developed muscle heads rather than with storyline and gritty characters.

My bad. I didn't mean replacing Eastwood, just taking over the mantle and passably play Dirty Harry.

I always thought Clint Eastwood was mediocre actor. His best role was as ramrod, Rowdy Yates, in Rawhide and it was because he was a supporting actor. His role as a leading character in the spaghetti westerns series were successful only because of the music and scenery. Dirty Harry sucked. Two Mules for Sister Sarah sucked harder. He never was main character material.

He could have never made a convincing dangerous badguy like a Lee Marvin as Liberty Valence or a mysterious gunfighter like Charles Bronson in Once Upon a Time in the West.

The only movie he played a convincing character was as an old WWII vet in Gran Torino.

Reactions: Emerson0311
    I don't think there will be a Clint Eastwood replacement and there shouldn't be. Let someone else invent a new character that is as strong as Dirty Harry has been.

I also tend to latch onto actors in certain roles more than the other roles they play. For example, a lot of people know Viggo Mortensen from the Lord of the Rings. For me, it will always be the command master chief in charge of bud/S in "GI Jane."

Michael Biehn in "Terminator," of course.

Tom Selleck as "Magnum, P.I."

Tommy Lee Jones as US Marshal Gerard in "The Fugitive."

"I didn't kill my wife!"

"I don't care!"

Richard Crenna as Col. Trautman in "First Blood."

"When in doubt, kill. Win by attrition.

Well, Rambo was the best..."

For Clint's son Scott, it's going to be SSG Clint Romesha in "The Outpost." A most excellent film I can heartily recommend to anyone, military buff or not. I know he was in a Fast and Furious sequel but I define him by this movie.