• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Who's fishing?

Triggernometry

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 23, 2006
Baton Rouge, LA
I'm a low speed, high drag kinda fisherman; while my buddies are chasing specks and reds in the marsh, my g/f, dog, and I are sipping cold beer with our toes and paws in the sand. Here's a few pix from the past 2 weekends.
04-15-09018_cropped.jpg

04-15-09010_copy.jpg

Copyof05-16-09050.jpg

Copyof05-16-09060.jpg

Anyone else catching anything? Post 'em if you got 'em.

Re: Who's fishing?

Sharks, shorts, and sun???......good god man, we're just catching bass here.....in jackets. LOL.

DSC_1225cropped.jpg

DSC_1382.jpg

DSC_1380.jpg

Nice Bull red n bull, steady at it here cept for the fn front you guys dealt with last week.

Nice catches man. I've done the chasin reds and specks in the marsh thing in your neck of the woods, I think I shoulda been on the beach instead.

I've been doing a bunch of trout fishing lately. Last couple weeks have been crummy with high and muddy water due to rain. No fish pics sadly since I'm always out by myself. Here's one of the spots though
fishing003.jpg

Nice fish Brad. The ice came off the Gulf early this year so it warmed up quick.

Strick9, I fished through that front here last Sunday, and thought it would suck but had to go as I promised to take an 11 and 13 y/o boy and girl that had never been fishing. It went from 96F and light S winds Saturday to a high of 71F and N winds 20-35 overnight. Despite the tough conditions, they landed 9 reds and 2 sharks in 4 hours. I almost lost rods on a couple occasions to hard running fish. I talked with their parents yesterday and the kids are still talking about how much fun they had and how their arms still hurt from fighting all the fish. I'll get some of their pictures on here soon.

That's some pretty country CCarls, sans the fugly windfarm.
laugh.gif

I'll be back to fishing Monday when i go back offshore. Grouper, amberjack, drum, and reds.... HERE I COME! And yes, all fish stays on the platform.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Triggernometry</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Copyof05-16-09060.jpg

</div></div>

Bro, I dont want to alarm you, but....uh, YOURE HOLDING A SHARK. You are not supposed to hold those... If you'll notice, the pointy end has lots of teeth.

They actually made a public service film on why:

jaws.jpg

Actually, thats pretty dang neat. What do you catch those things on?

Shaggy, my g/f with a knife is way more dangerous than any blacktip shark. I normally release everything, but she whines if I don't let her keep 1 every once in a while. The mad ichthyologist at work on a field necropsy.
Copyof05-16-09042.jpg

05-16-09043.jpg

We fish with mullet (not the wicked awesome hairstyle); the bigger minnow in the cast net. They aren't usually this easy to catch.
1Dec07019-1.jpg

As the water warms and the sharks get more obnoxious, I switch to big blue crabs. Redfish have throat crushers (top pic) that allow them to quickly take the fight from a pissed off crab. Sharks learn real quick that there are easier meals when a crab starts clawing their way through their throat and stomach. They need to have both claws to fend off the gafftop and hardhead catfish...which makes trying to get a hook in 'em without losing a finger really exciting. They can bring the pain.
1Dec07021.jpg

That looks like a good time soreloser!

With the my kids, the only time I can get out fishing is at night. I catch the biggest bass in the middle of the night, and would prefer night fishing anytime. Here are just a couple from last year and anticipate many more this summer.

06-08-06_2256.jpg

Picture2135.jpg

Has those are some really nice ones. I love the night fishing for bass as well. Fish Thompson Lake over here in Howell, which as yeilded a few 5+ pounders.

Those both came out of Jordan Lake, in Lake Odessa. That lake has given up a couple 5 lbs, but I had one on two years ago, with a Black Culprit Texas rigged that proably would have went over 10 lbs, the biggest bass I have ever had on in MI, knot broke right next to the boat while the bro-in-law was trying to lip him, first time I ever left the net at home...tisk..atisk...

Im pretty excited im leaving on Thurday for Sarasota Fl, for Snook, Redfish, Tarpon and a 50 mile offshore trip for Red Snapper, Amberjack (Reef Donkies) and Grouper. I was told I might also get into a Jewfish (Im not to sure if I want to tackle one of those.

MMMM, we get some big Lakers up here on the great lakes, smoked laker/king salmon, a slice of cheese and a ritz is a fine way to top off a fishing trip.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PGS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
scan0040-1.jpg

Lakers from Fort Peck lake NE Montana.</div></div>

24" Rainbow, Mid April 2009, Soque River, GA.

7 wt. Lefty Kreh rod, with Large Frame Lamson Reel, taken with a # 12 Suede San Juan Worm

8x4vgz.jpg

7lb makinaw from last week:

hellholemakinaw.jpg

and a smaller makinaw and kokanee salmon i kept for dinner:

fish3.jpg

A few more reds from the past couple weeks.
Copyof06-06-09008.jpg

Copyof05-24-09007.jpg

Copyof05-24-09015.jpg

Copyof05-24-09020.jpg

They got nice and gold on us one day last week when the wind switched and the water cleared.
06-5-09066.jpg

Keep 'em coming.

Boy thats a big Red you've got there! Was that in California? Most of the big Reds in florida are in the Indian River area. However most big reds on television are caught in Louisiana.

If you have a big red like that you need a big trout to go with it. Caught this 27" Speckeled Trout on Sat. while fishing in a place we call the Land Cut.
IMG_1987.jpg

Chance, we did an offshore trip yesterday. Hit Falcon rig 80 miles out of Packery. Ended up with a 6 foot Silky, Rainbow runner and tons of bonito. Lost one big ling.
There was a 43 cabo that lost a blue marlin about 100 feet from the back of our boat.

That sounds like an awesome trip Jacob! I usually fish with a guy that gets sea sick...so he won't go offshore even on a calm day. BTW, I went snorkeling off of the packery about 2 weeks ago when the water was really clear and saw some snook, amongst other cool fish.

Let me know when you want to go. I want to snorkel that rig from yesterday. There is a ling I left there that needs a spear

Damn nice speck Chance.

How about using a river otter?
laugh.gif

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/75Zl5ULneO4&feature=related"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/75Zl5ULneO4&feature=related" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

What kind of gear is everyone running? Plan on going offshore a lot this summer and was wondering what kind of equipment I should be looking at. Looking to catch some Kings, Amberjacks, Wahoos and Tuna.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bacarrat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What kind of gear is everyone running? Plan on going offshore a lot this summer and was wondering what kind of equipment I should be looking at. Looking to catch some Kings, Amberjacks, Wahoos and Tuna. </div></div>

I run AVET reels with JB hollowcore and a mono topshot. Custom rods with all windon rollors or Fuji braid rated open eyes. Avets put out alot of heat for there size.

Been up before but ..
dmg308

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bacarrat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What kind of gear is everyone running? </div></div>

I started out with Avet, moved on to Accurate, and have settled on Shimano as the most problem-free brand of reels out there (for me). For fly reels, I used to run nothing but Charlton but now primarily use Tibor's. I use Calstar for all of my conventional rods and for tossing poppers or dropping jigs, I use Smith rods from Japan (a tad on the costly side but phenomenal rods). Fly rods are mostly Loomis with a handful of Pre-Chino Powell's and a few of the new Helios rods. I shoot photos of fishing around the world for a living so I get to spend a good bit of time bending a rod:
BMjump2.jpg

sML9510.jpg

ML3781.jpg

Navionics-small.jpg

dtfishgarmin.jpg

Guys, great thread. Nice to see a wide variety of 'what else is out there' stuff.

Soreloser, I gotta say that is the first time I've ever seen a fishing boat with a ROPS (Roll-Over-Protection-System) built on. There are some who could use those on their jet-boats up in Northern B.C. It seems that after a while, they take to 'highmarking' the falls.
smile.gif

All: Interesting stuff, and I also have to add that a good time can be had by all, anywhere. Very refreshing to see an "attitudeless fishing thread". Wasn't sure it could be done.

Keep it coming!

First trip of the season, first bite of the day...
SJShark09022.jpg

Perfect eatin' size...
mako001.jpg

Nice fish everyone, thanks for shareing the pictures.Here is what we done on a Halibut trip yesterday.
[img:left]
IMG_0131.jpg
[/img]
The deck of the boat.
IMG_0127.jpg
[/img]
One of the bigger fish of the day
IMG_0129.jpg
[/img]
My biggest fish of the day.
IMG_0132.jpg
[/img]
End of the day picture.

Here's some pix from a rockfish and cod trip outta Monterey, CA that I went on last summer. Turned into a pukefest for about 10 people.
13July08002.jpg

One of the guys with a double.
Copyof13July08013.jpg

13July08036.jpg

13July08037.jpg

13July08035.jpg

The Smallmouth around her are just starting to hit topwater at night, one of my favorite things to do is to wade local streams at night and throw jitterbugs around and wait for the water to explode.