• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing whos going to kill the bird of love!!!!!!!

Private
Minuteman
Jul 17, 2010
san jose ca
September first. I am going to take my two older boys for there first dove season. It will be great weather we get any or not.

Re: whos going to kill the bird of love!!!!!!!

Lot of birds flying over cut wheat fields. Lookin good for a great season.

Out scouting for the birds last fri night. Got two places that look very promising...and a few guys lined up to work the field with me so we can keep the birds moving.
laugh.gif
Can't wait! Taking my 12 year old bro along as well...his first hunt for any flying target. Deadly with a rifle...guess we'll see how he does with the 20 gauge.

-The Kid

Oh yeah, more than ready. Taking my daughters, this will be their third season. Hopefully not too much pressure this year, as the 1st falls on a Sat.

High binder, that must be nice a dove season that is open all year. Any restrictions ?

1 September is a state holiday in Texas isn't it?

I've skipped school, took off work, or called in sick since I was ten years old.

My daughter was born on the second. Told my wife how I would always remember her birthday. She didn't appreciate it or understand.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can't wait! Taking my 12 year old bro along as well...his first hunt for any flying target. Deadly with a rifle...guess we'll see how he does with the 20 gauge. </div></div>

Good on you, excellent!

I do my best to drag my brother away from his computer screen whenever I can. Being outside shooting he seems to enjoy it and likes going but never makes that next step to actually get involved on his own. When he turned 21 my dad and I bought him a Ruger 22 pistol and a box of bulk ammo. He just recently finished that 525rds up and his 25th birthday was 2 months ago...

He won't go hunting though, "doesn't see the point"

I will be out for doves when I get back from the honeymoon.

I'm ready but it looks like the reminants of Issac might put a damper on things.

The field next to my house is cut wheat. Hundreds of doves are roosting in my fencerow. Just a few more days.

Oh, and a small footnote. The turtle dove is the symbol of love and peace, not mourning doves or collared doves.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can't wait! Taking my 12 year old bro along as well...his first hunt for any flying target. Deadly with a rifle...guess we'll see how he does with the 20 gauge. </div></div>

Good on you, excellent!

I do my best to drag my brother away from his computer screen whenever I can. Being outside shooting he seems to enjoy it and likes going but never makes that next step to actually get involved on his own. When he turned 21 my dad and I bought him a Ruger 22 pistol and a box of bulk ammo. He just recently finished that 525rds up and his 25th birthday was 2 months ago...

He won't go hunting though, "doesn't see the point"

I will be out for doves when I get back from the honeymoon.</div></div>

Wow...never had that problem with my younger bro. He will burn through a brick in an afternoon if I let him! The blood lust is Strong in this one! haha. He just informed me last week that he's saving for a CZ82 in 9mm Mak. I'll probably talk him into buying some more essential guns before he does that, but he's enamored with mil-surp weapons right now and saw a nice example of the Makarov in the local gun shop recently. I've never met anybody quite as nuts about shooting stuff...except myself.
laugh.gif
His biggest concern in life right now is finding someone to take him hunting this season after I leave for BCT. Poor guy has it rough.

BTW, congrats on the apparent recent marriage.

Also going, been working dove fields for a few weeks. Saturday kicks off hunting season, college football, and (generally) no more hot weather. Love september 1

Just got an invite this week from a friend at work. This will be my first Dove season. I can't wait to see what its' like.

-c

Total bust. One dumb groundhog died a brutal death from a load of #7 .5 shot at close range, but other than that, the evening was completely quiet.

Slower than usual down here, got 10 but normally don't have any trouble getting everybody their limit.

We went on a great dove hunt in South-Western MiSS. 42 gunners, three hours and 501 birds!! Great hunt. I installed a Burris Speed Bead on one of my Benelli M1 Super 90's , Took two shotguns, one with a Speed Bead one without. I never picked up the one without the speed Bead. Love it! Easy install and one shot zero. Well worth the money ($ 225).

Was a bit slow during this years opener. Too dry, and many wheat fields not turned yet. Need a cold front to push in some rain to fill ponds and get farmers out to turn and plant fields.

I was able to get 8 birds, but it was work. Actually it felt more like a quail hunt jumping them up.

I had the best season yet. Went down to Blythe, CA on the Colorado River to visit some friends. There were four of us shooting opening morning and we got 70. We had to stop shooting the mourning and whitewings when we hit our limits but since there are no limits on Eurasians or regular pigeons, we were able to continue with those. That evening we continued and got 42 more of the non-limit species. This morning we connnect with 65 various birds. Good shiite!
For some reason, I'd sold my Vinci back to my buddy that I got it from. I didn't feel like using my short barreled M1 Super 90(even though it does have removable chokes) and just used the Win Model 12 that my grandpa got right before WWII. My shoulder is a bit sore...

Had a good shoot opening morning, next day was a little slow. Good to get out with friends and family to enjoy hunting and just shooting the breeze.

2 evening hunts (SW TEXAS)
birds were flying but not in large groups. Slower than past seasons, but I did bag limit both days. Had no 'high flyers '( normally 60%) all realitivly low, adjusted my choke and went to work.

My son and I went out saturday and sunday and shot three limits. I just sat and watched him blow them out the sky on sunday. He's 16 now and time with dad is at a premium, so I figured I'd let him have all the glory and just enjoy my time with him.

I also shoot the M1 Super 90 with a26" barrel. I bought a Strangler choke and hit longer shots regularly now AND with the addition of a Burris Speed Bead, I have further increased my accuracy.
My son started shooting my Benelli set up so often, I built an exact clone, now I can shoot mine when I want and know it's not in his truck.