• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Who's running the REAP-IR?

Nostradumbass

Falconer
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Sep 7, 2009
    NE Texas
    After a lot of research, I'm about to pull the trigger on a REAP-IR. This will be my first Thermal optic purchase. Just looking for some feedback from actual owners.
    Please give us your thoughts on the optic if you can,

Thanks boys!

I've had the REAP-IR and the MK III Hunter.... I really like the REAP-IR. I'll get a picture for you and post it.

I'm not in the market for one but I played with one and it was really impressive. The clarity really surprised me. Too rich for my blood but an awesome piece of equipment.

I know IR Defense was bought by Trijicon and a Trijicon rep at last weeks Outdoor Show told me the price went up "only a couple hundred dollars" without any significant changes to the unit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: tennturk
    I'm running the reap ir. Had the mk1 and mk2, tested the snipe ir. Have 2nd reap ir coming. Kill between 300 and 400 animals a year on crop damage permits.

Have LWTS, have used T70 and T75. Have used ATN and Pulsar. Pulsar xd50a, second choice for backup.

Reap ir money well spent. Buy once, cry once.

What separates the mens from the boyz is the quality and price of their toyz.

Last edited:
    We run a REAP-IR and a Pulsar HD19 back up plus an IRD LE Patrol100 handheld. The IRD stuff is amazing. The Pulsar stuff is excellent for the cost ratio.

My buddies and I just rented a REAP IR a couple weekends ago for a coyote contest and I can honestly say if I had 8 grand laying around it would be burnt on a REAP IR. Super clear, worked awesome for day and night hunts and the multiple rifle setup is badass

Last edited:
    I upgraded from an RS64-35 to a Reap-IR. My god......HUGE difference in capabilities. My Reap-IR has already wasted 8 or 9 coyotes in the past 6 months.

I've used the MKII 20mm, IR Patrol m300w, and a buddies Reap-IR. i just got my own Reap at the end of January. I've also used ATN Thor, Armasight Predator, and Pulsar xd50. It's real hard to beat IR Defense products in my opinion.

Was going to upgrade my MKII to the 35mm version but have decided not to. If you do a lot of spot n stalk in wooded areas, the wider FOV of the 20mm is much easier to scan and maneuver. For open fields and longer shots, the Reap is where it's at. You get a whole lot more detail with the 2.5x native magnification and saving multiple zeros makes swapping between primary rifle and rimfire critter poppers real easy.

Last edited:
    I have a Reap-IR. The picture quality was amazing I looked through several different thermals before I purchases the Reap. Then after a few months the image became blurry and I was unable to distinguish animals at 50 yards. It was like the Reap would not focus any more. Had to send it back for repair. Has been in the shop almost 30 days with no news yet on the problem. No what I expected from a top quality product. Hope they get it working soon.

It's the best there is really as far as quality,size and price. The image produced by the 12 micron core and that magnification range is top notch.

Got the Reap back from Trijicon. The said they updated the firmware and it fixed the issue. Image appears clear like it was when I first got the thermal. Approximately a 30 day turn around time and they paid shipping both ways. Glad they took care of the issue A+ on customer service in my book.

I just got a new rebranded Trijicon Reap-IR, it's bad to the bone. It even has it's own Trijicon Scripture reference now and it comes in a nice hard case.

McGilbery, Last three outings with my REAP IR and I swear the clarity is gone. Sounds similar to your issue. I've been trying to get it out and check things out here and there but the humidity has been fairly high and or dust storms killer with varying temps. My best description is that at 50 yards it was fantastic and now at 50 it is 1/2 the clarity as it was before. Detail at 25yrds is pretty much crap. I've adjusted settings back and forth and cannot find anything remotely similar to what I had before. ???

gunner

how long have you owned/used the IR before the clarity went.
    Have you heard fron Trijicon yet

6 months give or take. I'd have to pull my paperwork to verify. I have not heard from Trijicon yet. I was planning on calling Monday if I don't get an email response prior.

I know a wet rainy day kills clarity and fog doesn't help anything either. But it does sound like an equipment issue with what your saying.

Sent you a message Gunner. Call Trijicon they will fix the issue. Sounds similar to my issue. I hope these units don't continue to have these issues.

I have a Reap-IR. The picture quality was amazing I looked through several different thermals before I purchases the Reap. Then after a few months the image became blurry and I was unable to distinguish animals at 50 yards. It was like the Reap would not focus any more. Had to send it back for repair. Has been in the shop almost 30 days with no news yet on the problem. No what I expected from a top quality product. Hope they get it working soon.

I had the same problem with loosing focus. Contacted TrijiconEO and they sent me a shipping label, internally focused the unit, updated the firmware, and shipped it back with no cost. First class customer service! Basically the same service I had servicing my MKII when is was under IRD. Unit is as good or maybe better than when i got it new!

I love the size and weight of the REAP. DLOC mount is excellent and it is more usable as a monocular. Could mount it to a helmet with the dovetail but haven't done it yet. I use a FLIR Scout III so no need really. Only complaint would be the single toggle button for navigation. It's usable but the navigation of the 3 control dials on the MkII are easier and faster. Image quality is about the same. When I got the REAP, I immediately sold my FLIR RS 64 35mm (which was my back-up/second unit for my boys or friends). Image quality is not even close on the FLIR. Now my backup is theoretically the MkII, but I use it almost as much. Wish the MKII had multiple saves for different guns but not sure it is worth the $995 to upgrade to the MkIII...

6 months give or take. I'd have to pull my paperwork to verify. I have not heard from Trijicon yet. I was planning on calling Monday if I don't get an email response prior.

That's about the same time until mine did the same thing. Was shooting mine on a suppressed 6.8 LWRC so I doubt recoil was an issue. I had one of the early units, so maybe they have fixed the issue. Call Trijicon, explain the issue and they should get you fixed up.

Crazy deal, but the rains let up yesterday and we had a fair breeze all day so I headed out this evening to test out the REAP IR. It's perfect, like no issue ever was present. I did toggle the settings back and forth a few times, power up, down, remove batteries for 15 minutes, etc. I had two images that I had taken in the unit and deleted them as well. Gonna get out this week and test it some more.

My REAP IR is still clear, fingers crossed it stays that way.

I have a Reap-ir as well. Also had focus issues with my unit. IRD looked at the unit and said they could find nothing wrong with it......but when I got it back it was way different to my eyes. As a straight up shooting scope I still prefer a Zeus 75mm 3x, but the versatility of the Reap makes it the all around winner. Awesome little scope. The only thing I don't like is that there is no manual. The quick guide it comes with is lacking.