• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Who's switched to 2 stage triggers?

I think that single stage triggers are ok, I started shouting with only single stage triggers. I shut a Win 52D in college that had a spectacular trigger ( worked over by Karl Kenyon). My first good 2 stage was my Anschutz 54:18msr. Shot benchrest with a 3 oz single stage. So yeah I can shoot both, but I have found that I am a better shot when I use a really great 2 stage.!

Nope, single stage. 2 and 4 oz on target rifles no problem. Other bolt guns around 1.5 to 2 lbs. Most ARs to 2 to 3 lbs.
Back in the day shot 2 oz Jewell trigger for all LR shooting, close to 20,000 rds.before changing calibers, 17,000 of the exact same load.
Same load, same components, and several new barrels. Load and shoot within 5 seconds, 2 reasons, on a very hot barrel, & on the wind call, as the Varget in the chamber heats up, and causes over pressure load if ya wait on a slow squeeze. and the wind changes every few seconds maybe ya have 30 seconds, probably ya don't ...high mountains across deep canyons,... mountain shooting, has very tricky wind, a wind meter is usless, and all the trees block cut down, for a mile, the ground barren.
So get your 5 shot groups done in 25 seconds at 1000yds and beyond. Soon as the eyes see, on target ...touch that 2 oz trigger.
Hold 1.2 seconds for impact, still on target, fire next round immediately...repeat. usually did 3 shot groups up there. But not always, the barrel got so hot heat waves would obscure the target and you could smell the hot steel. Stop and let it cool, only because of the vision...do not care about how hot the barrel is when I'm hitting the target.
You can abuse the crap out of a 308 Win barrel, and it's still accurate and consistent. The barrel is expendable and I own my reamers and do all of the chambering on bolt guns.
Single stage 2 to 4 oz. Ain't got time for a two stage, take up, breath control, squeeze trip, around Cape Horn.
The wind will change and you'll be way off target.
For my style, and where I engage targets, a 2 oz single stage works for me.

Reactions: Rocketvapor
That's the great thing about having good trigger control.....you can use virtually any trigger. When you have good trigger control the difference between single and two stage is 100% personal preference.

When you prefer one or the other because you break bad shots with the other type, it's a fundamental issue, not a trigger type issue.

Valuable comment. We’re all really glad you stopped to add that.
You know what's a useless fucking comment?

Your whole post telling everyone how right you are and how wrong everyone else is if they don't choose like you.

• Haha
Reactions: Maurygold
You know what's a useless fucking comment?

Your whole post telling everyone how right you are and how wrong everyone else is if they don't choose like you.

It’s okay to be wrong. You don’t have to be so upset. Even Mike stopped by to say the same thing - single stage all the way!

If you want to pm me I can help you with some fundamentals of trigger pulls

A skilled shooter should be fine with either trigger type. An AD is really bad form with any trigger. I would not want to be near anyone who cannot handle a firearm without inadvertent shots being fired.

I am primarily a hunter and varmint shooter. I can use either type trigger with no issues. I prefer two stage triggers because they seem to allow me to shoot better offhand on running critters. More so in the woods where an ill timed, running shot will normally hit a tree. Just personal preference.

Last edited:
I think it’s because I started on a RPR that has the bladed safety in the trigger that I prefer a 2-stage since the dingus kind of acted like the 1st stage. So when I upgraded to a rem700 pattern rifle I dropped in a 2-stage trigger. I’m somewhere around 1 lb for the 1st stage and 12-14 oz for the 2nd. I’ve since setup all my bolt guns (centerfire and rimfire) all the same. ARs for 3-gun/2-gun I prefer single stage since sometimes hosing is required.

I did let a guy shoot my rifle once when his went down on the 2nd to last stage so he could finish the match. About the 2nd or 3rd shot in he asked if I had a 2-stage installed, when I said yes, his reply was “ok, that makes sense now…” I guess I probably should have mentioned that.

• Haha
Reactions: BurtG
It’s okay to be wrong. You don’t have to be so upset. Even Mike stopped by to say the same thing - single stage all the way!

So you do need someone else to validate your opinion.

That's the great thing about having good trigger control.....you can use virtually any trigger. When you have good trigger control the difference between single and two stage is 100% personal preference.

When you prefer one or the other because you break bad shots with the other type, it's a fundamental issue, not a trigger type issue.

I will agree... but add that needing an ~ 8oz trigger to reduce throwing fliers is also a crutch to fundamental trigger control, and in many cases recoil anticipation.

However, I am thankful to the exponential growth in precision rifle shooting (and reloading) because of the increase in available parts and supplies. So I will always support someone's personal preferences.

Some of you have never fired the stock Remington "lawyer" 15lb single stage trigger and it shows.

In their defense, my kast (2016) came with a 4lb booger. After adjusting it all the way down...it was a 3.75lb trigger 😄.

When I started shooting higher end Anschutz rifles about 15 years ago, I really started liking a nice two stage trigger. When given the option, I generally opt for a two stage.

Reactions: oldrifleman
I will agree... but add that needing an ~ 8oz trigger to reduce throwing fliers is also a crutch to fundamental trigger control, and in many cases recoil anticipation.

However, I am thankful to the exponential growth in precision rifle shooting (and reloading) because of the increase in available parts and supplies. So I will always support someone's personal preferences.

Yea, I'll never tell anyone they are wrong to prefer one type of trigger over another. Just the blanket statements saying one or the other is objectively better, like some have tried to claim above.

I personally set up my single stage and the second stage on two stage triggers to the point where I can marry my finger to the trigger and take deep breaths without the rifle firing. To mimic things like being tired and such that might cause you to breathe deeply which moves the rifle and can cause you the ND. But, you can accomplish the same thing with heavier triggers such as the non comp AI trigger.

If you're not able to move between different triggers comfortably after some dry fire, that's also a sign of lacking trigger control (unless of course you have some sort if disability such as little to no feeling in your finger).

I've got both, singles are 16oz, two stage is 4-6oz first stage, and 16oz second stage. The two stage is kinda like the take up on a Huber trigger. Once I feel light pressure on the finger pad, I know I've got just a lil more to send a round. I can usually switch back and forth between the two without issue.

Look,
a > 4.5lb trigger pull is objectively safer than a < 1.5 lb trigger on a field / “hard use” non-bench rifle.

A 2 stage trigger is objectively a fraction of a second (often more) slower than a single stage.

The question is only, if you need a heavier trigger, is having a second stage that gives you a .5-1.5 lb break worth the time penalty for you? That’s the preference.

That’s it.

There is objectively no point to running a 2 stage where both stages are set combined at very light weight.

Look,
a > 4.5lb trigger pull is objectively safer than a < 1.5 lb trigger on a field / “hard use” non-bench rifle.

A 2 stage trigger is objectively a fraction of a second (often more) slower than a single stage.

The question is only, if you need a heavier trigger, is having a second stage that gives you a .5-1.5 lb break worth the time penalty for you? That’s the preference.

That’s it.

There is objectively no point to running a 2 stage where both stages are set combined at very light weight.

The above is mostly just personal opinion. Once safety considerations are met, type and weight of trigger pulls are just that. Personal opinion.
Two stage trigger slower? I’m doubtful. For precision shooting, if a few hundredths of a second matter, it’s no longer precision. Not that I am conceding that the two stage trigger is slower.