• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Who's your favorite for barrels

PRSDietitian

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 11, 2023
Texas
So I already have a craddock precision rock creek ar-10 barrel on order, but might be getting a much better paying job in the near future. The first rifle is kind of more 60% field use(hunting, field matches, defensive use) 40% PRS use. If all goes well, i'm considering a build strictly for comps. Thinking about a JP LRI20 receiver set for that. If you could go to one place for the ultimate custom barrel, who would you go to?

Of course you have te typical go to's like craddock of course, GAP, proof, precision firearms, and formerly of compass lake engineering(I hear thir lead smith is still doing commercial sales)

GAP, JP, PF

The lighter weight JP barrels with the radiators are great for both competition and hunting.
only thing i dont like about the JP is that they ARE light and i prefer heavy barrels for matches and while I like the thermal system on their barrels, I like the added mass but damn they are tack drivers

only thing i dont like about the JP is that they ARE light and i prefer heavy barrels for matches and while I like the thermal system on their barrels, I like the added mass but damn they are tack drivers
You can stack weights on the handguard for matches, then remove them for hunting.

That is a good point and I saw for the LRP-07 rifles they do have some cut rifle barrels they did a run of. The more research I do on JP bolts, the more I'd lean towards the PF barrels because they use the JP extensions and headspace at the shop on their bolts. Had a talk with a competitor friend and we almost came down to "JP rifle with PF barrel" and an Area 419 hellfire system for either brake or suppressor use. But I have no experience with PF and you don't hear about the as much as CLE or others.

All three Proof Research SS AR barrels give 0.5-1 MOA with handholds, a 308, a 6.5CM, and a 223. There are more available and a bit cheaper than others mentioned.

So I already have a craddock precision rock creek ar-10 barrel on order, but might be getting a much better paying job in the near future. The first rifle is kind of more 60% field use(hunting, field matches, defensive use) 40% PRS use. If all goes well, i'm considering a build strictly for comps. Thinking about a JP LRI20 receiver set for that. If you could go to one place for the ultimate custom barrel, who would you go to?

Of course you have te typical go to's like craddock of course, GAP, proof, precision firearms, and formerly of compass lake engineering(I hear thir lead smith is still doing commercial sales)

I just ordered one of each to test, besides the 300 BO. These are the same blanks that Seekins uses add that to Craddock's machine work, should be some solid ahooters.

I just ordered one of each to test, besides the 300 BO. These are the same blanks that Seekins uses add that to Craddock's machine work, should be some solid ahooters.
The RTR? I remember seeing they used rock creek. Talked to Josh at craddock and for and extra $50, Paul said he’d up it to a .936.

All three Proof Research SS AR barrels give 0.5-1 MOA with handholds, a 308, a 6.5CM, and a 223. There are more available and a bit cheaper than others mentioned.
How’s the contour on the proof? I heard someone say that was the only ding they had on it

PVA makes nice barrels for sure. I typically have had really good luck with criterion barrels. Krieger is probably the pinnacle. I live in Wisconsin so I'm really spoiled for choice when it comes to barrel makers close to me.

PVA makes nice barrels for sure. I typically have had really good luck with criterion barrels. Krieger is probably the pinnacle. I live in Wisconsin so I'm really spoiled for choice when it comes to barrel makers close to me.

PRetty much everyone is Wisconsin is top notch. Bartlein, krieger, Brux, Criterion, you name it. I'm leaning towards bartlein from PF. Love that they use the JP extensions

All my most accurate AR barrels have been proof

if PVA started doing AR barrels, I would be very interested. The ones I had were just as good as my proof bolt gun barrels.