• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Why aftermarket barrel?

goodgorilla

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 16, 2013
Lecanto, FL
The one I have has the potential to help me knock the bulls eye off at 50 yards, and make a nice group around 100. Why does anyone get an aftermarket barrel?

Because unless it's an Anschutz or Remington 40x grade rifle, the barrels are usually where manufacturers cut costs at. The other side is for better tapers or lengths shooters want in particular.

What kind of rifle do you have?

ruger 10/22. I've been reading about this subject for the past few hours, it seems that it isn't my imagination that my first shot is a random flier. I read that one guy had that problem which the new barrel fixed.

Yes, most definitely you'll benefit from a higher grade barrel. Green Mountain for budget, Volquartsen for high quality, Lilja for top of the line.

^^^this is good advice. My first precision rifle, starting 15 years ago was a 10/22, and a Green Mountain barrel dramatically improved the accuracy. Now, with quality ammo (Center X) the gun averages in the .8 MOA range (.4 inches at 50y.) And by that I mean that I shot six five round groups in a row and averaged all six groups, counting every round fired, and the average was in the .4's for all 30 rounds. I think if you try the same with your factory barrel and measure it, I think you'll find that there is plenty of room for improvement.

However, if all your shooting is done with bulk ammo, or you are just shooting off hand at cans etc, it may very well be a waste for you.

It does essentially no harm to shoot 'meh' ammo from a good barrel, but the good stuff makes the expense well worth the ante.

Because we don't own your rifle!

I'm gonna get a barrel to get rid of my first shot random flier(actually not so random, it's like 2 moa up and to the left). I thought it was my shooting, but someone else had got rid of that problem with a new barrel.

It does essentially no harm to shoot 'meh' ammo from a good barrel, but the good stuff makes the expense well worth the ante.
what kind of ammo are you taking about? I'm using Winchester m22's.

Last edited:
I'm gonna get a barrel to get rid of my first shot random flier(actually not so random, it's like 2 moa up and to the left). I thought it was my shooting, but someone else had got rid of that problem with a new barrel.

what kind of ammo are you taking about? I'm using Winchester m22's.

The 'random flier' if consistent as you mention, is your cold bore shot. Chances are a new barrel will have one as well.

For serious shooting I use either CCI 'blue box' target (standard velocity) or Federal Gold Medal.

All mine are around a decade old.

I treat my .22LR ammo as if it was an irreplaceable resource, which has proven prudent as time goes by. Here in CNY, available .22LR ammo is a myth.

I also use Federal and Remington bulk high velocity hollow points for targets that aren't made from paper.

Greg

Last edited:
The 'random flier' if consistent as you mention, is your cold bore shot. Chances are a new barrel will have one as well.

I was at a gun store yesterday, and that was the first time I heard someone mention a cold bore shot. A new barrel can't fix that? Is there a way to get around the cold bore shot other than shooting the rifle?

The one I have has the potential to help me knock the bulls eye off at 50 yards, and make a nice group around 100. Why does anyone get an aftermarket barrel?

Many reasons: after markets come pre threaded for suppressors, some manufacturers aren't consistent with their barrels, weight, pure sex appeal for said person's rifle ;), just a cool factor.

Clean-cold bore will always be an issue, especially with a rimfire. If you're cleaning after every outing, you will need 5-20 shots down the bore to get them grouping nicely again.

You'll be well served with an improvement in ammunition and a good barrel (may need a new stock too with a wider profile barrel than your current model). Trigger work could also benefit you as well.

10/22s are money pits when chasing accuracy, much like an M1A. I prefer to keep them what they are: reliable lightweight critter-gitters or plinkers. I save my accuracy chasing funds for bolt actions and quality ammunition.

Clean-cold bore will always be an issue, especially with a rimfire. If you're cleaning after every outing, you will need 5-20 shots down the bore to get them grouping nicely again.

You'll be well served with an improvement in ammunition and a good barrel (may need a new stock too with a wider profile barrel than your current model). Trigger work could also benefit you as well.

10/22s are money pits when chasing accuracy, much like an M1A. I prefer to keep them what they are: reliable lightweight critter-gitters or plinkers. I save my accuracy chasing funds for bolt actions and quality ammunition.

I'm getting a grande master trigger in this week, and am currently looking for a barrel. That mountain barrel company is so backordered I can't back order until may.

LMAO,
right if your rifle shoots that good,dont muck it up.
but for thoses that dont shoot, (with good ammo), yep barrel may help.
but like has been said , how far do you want to chase that dog

Good point, I was trying to get away from the cold bore shot, but I didn't know a new barrel couldn't fix it. Or can it? I want to shoot varmints.

Op, first off you'd be amazed what higher quality ammo can do in the accuracy department. For instance with my Ruger 10-22 race rifle Wolf MT shoots groups 1/3 the size of bulk ammo.

Simply record where your CB shot is impacting compared to the rest of the group, then compensate.

Op, first off you'd be amazed what higher quality ammo can do in the accuracy department. For instance with my Ruger 10-22 race rifle Wolf MT shoots groups 1/3 the size of bulk ammo.

Simply record where your CB shot is impacting compared to the rest of the group, then compensate.

I think I'll try out some good ammo for the next batch, I'll have to resurrect this thread after that happens. Compensate, yeah, common sense.

Another option to consider is reworking your factory barrel. Good choice if the exterior look is good for you.

True up crown
Set chamber back and re-cut it with perhaps a tighter than sporter reamer (Bentz, etc)
True up mating surface between bolt/bolt face and the chamber end of the barrel
Recut extractor groove(s)

Doing that and some trigger work, and any rifle should shoot great wtih decent ammo.

Check the superstock forum at rimfirecentral to see what a "sleeper" factory rifle can do with some tweaks

Another option to consider is reworking your factory barrel. Good choice if the exterior look is good for you.

True up crown
Set chamber back and re-cut it with perhaps a tighter than sporter reamer (Bentz, etc)
True up mating surface between bolt/bolt face and the chamber end of the barrel
Recut extractor groove(s)

Doing that and some trigger work, and any rifle should shoot great wtih decent ammo.

Check the superstock forum at rimfirecentral to see what a "sleeper" factory rifle can do with some tweaks
Can you put a link up? I'm having trouble finding the page for that sleeper article.

Good point, I was trying to get away from the cold bore shot, but I didn't know a new barrel couldn't fix it. Or can it? I want to shoot varmints.

GG, SORRY didn't mean to be a smart ass (well maybe a little)
1st sounds like you have a standarKruger 10/22.
OK let take a look at the stock, take barrel band off, take barreled action out,,open barrel area in stock up a little,
to make sure barrel not contacting any of the stock,test fit action , if happy, reseal wood
do not put barrel band back on, leave off
2nd clean barrel with good rimfire cleaner, make sure no lead at lead of barrell, most time it will be at 12/6 oclock
just pass chamber!.
3rd trigger i think you are getting that done, if i read correctly
4th find (good luck on this one) good ammo, standard vel, only,
for tree rats an the likes, dont need match ammo, but want hurt if you do
stay away from hi vel stuff, not needed, most 22 wont shoot with hi vel,(most i say)
i have seen 2 young coyote's, killed at 211 yrd with center X,
5th make sure scope,bases,ring, barrel screws to action(check kidd on how tight),are all ok
like has been said look crown over, needs to but clean, no burrs, dings
6th lets go shoot, start at 50yrd re zero after about 5,10 shots down range
if happy let set for awhile 30min should do it,(dont do any cleaning)
try shooting a group , check filers, any what round shot it, make a note
let stand agina reshoot a 2nd group, same thing note filers, an what round shot it.
if all ok try same at 100yd
this should give us a little, info, please report back findings
now aftermarket barrels are great if you want to shoot smaller groups(most times)
but for fur not needed, also if you are looking to up grade barrel, and you are mostly hunting with your rig
up to you, but a factory contor barrel kidd shoots just as good as a fat barrel,(have seen it many times)
smaller barrel makes (to me ) a better walk around rig.
last but not least how you shoot off bench, take alot of skill,( do every thing the same for every shot)
trust me on that because i still have alot to learn,
this may are not fix your 1st round filer, but may point us in the right direction.
but please remimber we are dealing with a factory ruger 10/22.
a great rifle, but not a match shooter, for groups,
let us know the out come,
thanks YOTE

, 3rd trigger i think you are getting that done, if i read correctly

4th find (good luck on this one) good ammo, standard vel, only,

most 22 wont shoot with hi vel,(most i say)

Yeah I got a Grande master trigger coming in the mail, I was hoping it would come in today so I could shoot tomorrow, but it will not be until Monday. Next weekend might be a problem shooting because I might need to help some friends out with their work.

The stock that I have now is a Blackhawk axiom which has a free floated barrel, and the ammo I'm currently using is Winchester m'22s which have hyper velocity around something like 1200 fps. Before I put my new BSA mil/mil scope on, I had a Nikon prostaff which I was able to cut a bullseye out at 50 yards, and had a decent group at 100 yards. I want to get one of those custom tactical stocks that one guy on this forum is making, but that's probably going to be like 6 months out. I will have to see how I can compensate for the cold bore shot before I consider getting the aftermarket barrel, but I have to wait until may just to get on a backorder list. I haven't shot off the bench yet, but one of my friends has a tree rat infestation and we want to test out some subsonic ammo at the same time.

Yeah I got a Grande master trigger coming in the mail, I was hoping it would come in today so I could shoot tomorrow, but it will not be until Monday. Next weekend might be a problem shooting because I might need to help some friends out with their work.

The stock that I have now is a Blackhawk axiom which has a free floated barrel, and the ammo I'm currently using is Winchester m'22s which have hyper velocity around something like 1200 fps. Before I put my new BSA mil/mil scope on, I had a Nikon prostaff which I was able to cut a bullseye out at 50 yards, and had a decent group at 100 yards. I want to get one of those custom tactical stocks that one guy on this forum is making, but that's probably going to be like 6 months out. I will have to see how I can compensate for the cold bore shot before I consider getting the aftermarket barrel, but I have to wait until may just to get on a backorder list. I haven't shot off the bench yet, but one of my friends has a tree rat infestation and we want to test out some subsonic ammo at the same time.

Cool think you are on the right track, be careful some subsonic ammo will not feed good in a 10/22
tree rat infestatihim!! hum!!! Sound like someone going to have a fun day LOL
not the tree rats,
good luck, stay with it. The 22rim fire world will drive you crazy if you let.