• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Why all the interest in FFP scopes?

Re: Why all the interest in FFP scopes?

Nearly all my shooting is at known-distance targets. Typically from 200yds - 875yds.

I typically dial for elevation (distance) and hold wind.

For years I used a Nightforce 3.5-15x50mm with the NP-R2 reticle. It works if you "pretend" it's a fixed 15x, although the 5 MOA increments on the horizontal aren't ideal. The NP-R1 might be better.

Where I shoot it seems its ALWAYS windy. I made the jump to a Premier Heritage 5-25x56mm and I'm REALLY happy with it.

It's pretty awesome being able to hold 1/4 mil or 1/2 mil or 1.5 mil or whatever without worrying about what the magnification is set on.

I use an SFP scope myself. I like shooting on 10x (max for my scope) power only. It's just what I was trained on and got used to. I've never even tried or looked through an FFP. I do not have enough disposable income to buy another scope, so I'll be making due with what I have for a long, long time. My $0.02

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hired Gun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was considering sponsering the site but right now I'm questioning if I should even be associated with the site at all. This is not a friendly place. </div></div>

1239942806342.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: COfox</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use an SFP scope myself. I like shooting on 10x (max for my scope) power only. It's just what I was trained on and got used to. I've never even tried or looked through an FFP. I do not have enough disposable income to buy another scope, so I'll be making due with what I have for a long, long time. My $0.02 </div></div>

If you're looking to try a variable FFP the Falcon Menace isn't a bad choice and can be had for very cheap. A few other lower end brands are becoming available as well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: COURAGEWOLF</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you're looking to try a variable FFP the Falcon Menace isn't a bad choice and can be had for very cheap. A few other lower end brands are becoming available as well.

</div></div>

Thanks, I'll look into it. Maybe I'll go shooting soon with someone here who has an FFP.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rksimple</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 4thSeal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">only down side to FFP is if you choose a reticle that is difficult to use at low power. But that is the users fault for choosing that reticle.

There is no down side to illum reticle... i really wished my Gen2 XR lit on the X axis last weekend. Doing hold offs on a mover with a black shoot N see target is the suck... i turned it on in the day light to break the black on black reticle but it didnt illum out to the sides... was a 2 mil lead or so </div></div>

It'd be easier if the dots were a full .2 mils instead of the invisible .1 they made them. Same with the .025mil reticle. Reticle design is crucial in FFP optics.

I was slumming it at this same match with a SFP Nightforce. I had to make adjustments and do quick calcs on the fly to make things work with the SFP scope. Can't wait to go back to FFP. </div></div>

I have to say I can't believe you kicked everyone's a$$ with that SFP NF! Really it shows it's the shooter and not the gun (or glass).

(For those of you who don't know, rksimple just took top place at a major tac competition with a NF. )

I would love to sit here and get kicked in the nuts some more but I have a date at the range with a new shipment of FNH product to deliver and test. If you want to see a cool pistol check out the new FNP-45 Tactical.

I have some friendly Marines to shoot with today.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: COfox</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: COURAGEWOLF</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you're looking to try a variable FFP the Falcon Menace isn't a bad choice and can be had for very cheap. A few other lower end brands are becoming available as well.

</div></div>

Thanks, I'll look into it. Maybe I'll go shooting soon with someone here who has an FFP. </div></div>

That's an even better option. I won't try to sell you on it you obviously know your business, but you may really enjoy it
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: M.45</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rksimple</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 4thSeal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">only down side to FFP is if you choose a reticle that is difficult to use at low power. But that is the users fault for choosing that reticle.

There is no down side to illum reticle... i really wished my Gen2 XR lit on the X axis last weekend. Doing hold offs on a mover with a black shoot N see target is the suck... i turned it on in the day light to break the black on black reticle but it didnt illum out to the sides... was a 2 mil lead or so </div></div>

It'd be easier if the dots were a full .2 mils instead of the invisible .1 they made them. Same with the .025mil reticle. Reticle design is crucial in FFP optics.

I was slumming it at this same match with a SFP Nightforce. I had to make adjustments and do quick calcs on the fly to make things work with the SFP scope. Can't wait to go back to FFP. </div></div>

I have to say I can't believe you kicked everyone's a$$ with that SFP NF! Really it shows it's the shooter and not the gun (or glass).

(For those of you who don't know, rksimple just took top place at a major tac competition with a NF. ) </div></div>

We have a guy up here in my neck that's an SFP shooter that beats the hell out of me shooting. There's no doubt that a better shooter will outpace a better equipped shooter with less skill!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gugubica</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yuo dont need a FFP scope...feel better? For the type of shooting you do, a SFP Duplex would be prefered. Static shooter, static target, known range, no time limit and appearantly no mirage...I dont often shoot in those conditions, so I prefer FFP. </div></div>

Now be careful....Terry Cross will school us all.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: knockemdown</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Was using a FFP reticle (Gen II XR) to shoot prairie dogs out to 700 yds last weekend and didn't find the reticle to be obscuring even those tiny targets. And the ability to dial down & engage the same .mrad reticle wind hold was bonus...
Not saying that a FFP scope is ideal for p-dog shootin', just sayin' that it didn't hurt & maybe even helped my ability to hit them in the wind. For conversation... </div></div>

+1 on this, I was using a Falcon 4-14 FFP (at similar distance on p-dogs), and I found the reticle worked just fine at max power...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hired Gun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was considering sponsering the site but right now I'm questioning if I should even be associated with the site at all. This is not a friendly place. </div></div>

I wouldn't let one thread ruin your opinion of the whole site.......

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hired Gun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would love to sit here and get kicked in the nuts some more but I have a date at the range with a new shipment of FNH product to deliver and test. If you want to see a cool pistol check out the new FNP-45 Tactical.

I have some friendly Marines to shoot with today. </div></div>

I would ask. Have you used a FFP scope? Have you gone to a tactical comp and shot thrown down with everyone there?

Is a SFP required, the answer would be no. There are any of a number of talented rifle drivers who will do very well with a SFP. Does it offer an advantage? In this specific enviroment and all other things being held equal I think you will find that the answer is yes.

Hurt your feelings...did I? You need a thicker skin to hang around here buddy. Maybe this site isnt right for you after all...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is not a friendly place.</div></div>

Actually, this <span style="font-style: italic">is</span> a very friendly place, with lots of people willing to spend time and effort to help those in need of help with precision rifle shooting.

But it is a place with a very low tolerance of B.S.

“I know it's so you can range or dope on any power but honestly. How usable is that 1/4" reticle on 6 power? Can you even make out the marks on the lowest power?” <span style="font-weight: bold">Yes I can make out the lines a 6x but I tend to use it no lower than 8x. FFP is great for holdover shots and I tend to be around 10x to 15x for this.</span>

”Why are people asking for them?” <span style="font-weight: bold">All the cool kids are doing it. LOL… FFP scopes work great for tactical shooters. If you are doing BR shooting I would go with SFP myself.</span>

”How accurate is ranging with a reticle over 600 yards?” <span style="font-weight: bold">From 1100yds and in I can range well enough out to get a hit or be very close so I or my spotter can make correction off of it.</span>

”There is a huge demand as the scope manufacturers are starting to make them. Why?” <span style="font-weight: bold">Because this is what us competitive shooters want. </span>

Mike @ CST

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lindy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is not a friendly place.</div></div>

Actually, this <span style="font-style: italic">is</span> a very friendly place, with lots of people willing to spend time and effort to help those in need of help with precision rifle shooting.

But it is a place with a very low tolerance of B.S.
</div></div>
Lindy always hits close to the target with his comments. Low B.S.= Snipers hide, High B.S. = ARFCOM

I use FFP optics mainly because I subscribe to the KISS method. Having my Windage and Elevation match my reticle always keeps it that much simpler. If I was shooting benchrest comps I can see using a SPF just for having a really fine reticle at High magnification.

As for using the reticle at low magnification. Both the GAP and GEN 2 XR reticle is usable at 3x on my SN3's although holding for movers at that power would be tough ... I usually run about 5 to 10x for that depending on range. The GEN 2 XR reticle in FFP is a dream to shoot for wind holds and movers ... after about 15 minutes on the phone with Mike at CS Tactical he convinced me ... about 500 rounds later with a Gen 2 XR in a SN3 ... I am totally convinced.

Okay. my Marines are now armed with some nice guns and they have plenty of money left to buy ammo with.

Sometimes it looks a little slow around here. Over 1200 have viewed this thread and I was afraid I wouldn't get much responce.

I promise I do not know this guy nor did I make him up but this is exactly the stereotypical questions I'm getting.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coma</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So I am setting up a new .308 hunting rig, mainly deer, hog and plinking. I have yet experienced the thrill of expensive glass, but on this rig I will pony up. I am fairly new to hunting, I have hunted fowl and hog but never with my own rig, so I am new to that regards.

I am looking into the $1500 range for a scope and I am wondering, if FFP is overkill? I will do some long range shooting, probably not hunting (maybe GH) so I am going to use a graduated reticle.

I was thinking about the NXS 3x15 but the price difference on FFP vs SFP is CRAZY.

Do I really need FFP? I mean for $2200 is the NXS better than say USO? </div></div>

I'm all for nice stuff but in my head I'm screaming, who put this in your head? He is a real guy asking on this same forum and he can't hardly get a straight answer. He wants a nice scope and he is being shown budget FFP scopes rather than answering his question.

Some are giving him good advice but didn't I ask about the same thing and within minutes I'm blowing the site up. He seems like a nice guy. Why not head over and give me a demo of how you answer a guy like this in your shop.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hired Gun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Okay. my Marines are now armed with some nice guns and they have plenty of money left to buy ammo with.

Sometimes it looks a little slow around here. Over 1200 have viewed this thread and I was afraid I wouldn't get much responce.

I promise I do not know this guy nor did I make him up but this is exactly the stereotypical questions I'm getting.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coma</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So I am setting up a new .308 hunting rig, mainly deer, hog and plinking. I have yet experienced the thrill of expensive glass, but on this rig I will pony up. I am fairly new to hunting, I have hunted fowl and hog but never with my own rig, so I am new to that regards.

I am looking into the $1500 range for a scope and I am wondering, if FFP is overkill? I will do some long range shooting, probably not hunting (maybe GH) so I am going to use a graduated reticle.

I was thinking about the NXS 3x15 but the price difference on FFP vs SFP is CRAZY.

Do I really need FFP? I mean for $2200 is the NXS better than say USO? </div></div>

I'm all for nice stuff but in my head I'm screaming, who put this in your head? He is a real guy asking on this same forum and he can't hardly get a straight answer. He wants a nice scope and he is being shown budget FFP scopes rather than answering his question.

Some are giving him good advice but didn't I ask about the same thing and within minutes I'm blowing the site up. He seems like a nice guy. Why not head over and give me a demo of how you answer a guy like this in your shop. </div></div>

the answer is simple as it is obvious... we'll address your monkey reference after.

The person you quoted gave you certain keywords to help answer him:

1. It's a hunting rifle.

2. It's secondary purpose is casual shooting

3. He gave you a price point $1500

The decision you tell him is, a SFP NXS is his best bet, in the 3-15X model.

Here is why, he is shooting deer with a 308, what 70 yards maybe as much as 300 if he is good. He doesn't need a lot of magnification and he certainly doesn't need a FFP for his casual type shooting. he probably only shoots a case of ammo a year, if that.

So why would you dance around the question in such a way, the sale is easy. Front Focal Plane scopes shine with higher magnifications, specifically for tactical shooters and competition shooters -- not F Class, or Benchrest.

The benefits of a Front Focal Plane scope go well beyond ranging, however they are also not for the casual shooter. If you guy comes in driving a Mercedes and asks you the same question, well then of course you go with the highest dollar scope you can sell him... it's not hard, its business.

You come on here calling people who use a FFP scope Monkey's only knowing one thing, "Ranging" which is a buzzword you picked up, and wonder why people are a little gruff with you. This is basic stuff, and like anything else, the right tool for the right job. If you job is shooting F Class you don't buy or sell a person 10X scope, you want more magnification. If the person tells you they are building a Custom Tactical Rig, you should be selling them or recommend a FFP scope.

This is SH, this isn't Long Range Hunting.... what they do there is product of their experience. What is offered up as advice is a product of ours... Front Focal Plane scopes happen to be an invaluable tool for long range precision shooter, especially in field conditions. Whether or not you understand that, has a bearing on the advice given and clearly your understanding of what Tactical Shooters engage in is limited. It is up to you to educate yourself, but calling the teachers monkeys isn't the way to win friends and influence people to help you.

In my opinion, you're being obstinate for the sake of it because you don't understand the use, clearly you don't. You shot for "X" number of year never going near a FFP scope, you sell people scopes all day long including cops who never shoot past 300 yards and they do perfectly fine with a 10X Leupold so why all the buzz with a FFP. Well, try reading, searching and educating yourself before being argumentative simply because "you don't know the answer" when in my opinion the answer is as black and white as the text on this page.

If a person tells them to buy a Vortex Viper in FFP, that is not a bad decision, because if the person has an interest, it is an excellent starting point. However it is not necessary for the reasons mentioned.

Aside from the reasons quoted, 1. SFP scope some time have issue with the reticles being accurate even on the marked power. Anyone using a SFP should be mapping the reticle, unless they are just using it for a center hold and nothing else. However as been described, we use the reticle for more than just ranging and center holds, we feel they have every bit the value as the turrets and in some cases more. They are faster and just as accurate as a turret because they do have value regardless of the power. We also like to open up our FOV and with things like NV you need the power turned down, so you might want your 16X put at 8X, but really who cares if it is between 9X and 7X because it doesn't matter, my sight picture and with NV I can use my holds on 9X, or 7X or anyone near there. So the significance in poor conditions cannot be overlook.

There is lot to learn, however insulting those with the knowledge will not get you far....

The reason people on this board seem to have a difficult time answering his question is that this website is called Sniper's Hide, not PigandDeerHunting.com. They're familiar with what they use for their style of shooting. Everyone these days gets so caught up on having the best (I'm no exception) that they seek out the perceived experts at what they want to do, in this case shooting => snipers.

This would almost be like (I'm a sucker for a good analogy) asking what's the best tires for your Buick Century on a street racer site. Most of the guys there are going to be knowledgeable about street racing cars, not grocery getter's. They know about a specialized equipment set; it's the same way here. You need to go to the appropriate place for the information you're looking for, otherwise it's going to be skewed in such a way that it may be accurate, but still useless to you.

ETA: Took too long now I look stupid saying what Lowlight just said
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lindy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is not a friendly place.</div></div>

Actually, this <span style="font-style: italic">is</span> a very friendly place
</div></div>

Eh I wouldn't say it's super friendly, but the first few responses were all short, clear, and concise answers, and several people took the time to type up really nice, lengthy responses so I'm wondering why he wants to argue with everyone.

“You come on here calling people who use a FFP scope Monkey's only knowing one thing, "Ranging" which is a buzzword you picked up, and wonder why people are a little gruff with you.”

I simply asked “Is this a giant case of, monkey hear something on the internet and monkey have to have it? It's a twist on, “Monkey see, monkey do.” This is an old term meaning imitating something someone saw. You were insulted because people are imitating experts from this forum? I didn't call anyone a name. All I did was point out that some people are reading stuff on here and coming to me requesting FFP and have no clue what it is other than some guys on the Hide swear by them so they must be just what they need. I am flattered when people want to imitate me. I'm at a real loss here. I believe I have been respectful, straight forward and sincere. It is difficult to do such with the some of the personal attack/responses I have received.

Some guys gave excellent answers to my questions. Mike @ CS really stands out as a good one. Thanks Mike. There were many more and I thank everyone that took the time to answer my questions and explain their answers. I just wish everyone was as passionate about NRA membership.

Did I mention how much I love your new sig line?

Clearly, you have no interest in "understanding" why, evident by you only pulling one line out of everything that was written.

I am perfectly aware of the effect this site has on the community, it appears you were not aware, as well surprised and came here more for that, than trying to figure out what is with the interest in a FFP scope.

The question should have probably been, "what is with Sniper's Hide influencing all these people's decisions" I don't get it.

That would have been more honest.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hired Gun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">“You come on here calling people who use a FFP scope Monkey's only knowing one thing, "Ranging" which is a buzzword you picked up, and wonder why people are a little gruff with you.”

This is an old term meaning imitating something someone saw. <span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">You were insulted because people are imitating experts from this forum</span></span>? I didn't call anyone a name. All I did was point out that some people are reading stuff on here and coming to me requesting FFP and have no clue what it is other than some guys on the Hide swear by them so they must be just what they need. I am flattered when people want to imitate me. I'm at a real loss here. I believe I have been respectful, straight forward and sincere. It is difficult to do such with the some of the personal attack/responses I have received.
</div></div>

You know, i gave you the first honest answer to your question. Go back and look. Then you proceed to call us "Monkeys". Then you go as far as saying "Imitating Experts", you do realize that this isnt an Airsoft forum where we all wish that we could be cool and snipers, right? You do realize there are some of the finest Military personell here, in this thread. The experience of about 5 people in this thread that responded sincerely to your question VASTLY exceed your experience with scopes,rifles, and shooting in general. Problem is tactical shooting was derived from actual combat "tactics" and shooting styles. Well there are plenty here who have been in harms way and used FFP scopes, its just flat out easier than SFP. Also, you seem very stand off"ish". Why? I think Frank hit it on the head, you dont know anything about FFP and its uses. Dont take that as a slam or belittlement ,its just the facts. As to your post that i have quoted, you are guilty of the monkey see monkey do just on principle. Do you reload? And when you started did you do it because you saw someone you respected and listened to doing it, so you in turn thought you needed to do it? Why scope a rifle? Because someone you respected or trusted did it? That argument is purely semantics with the monkey see monkey do shit. Its vastly easier to use an FFP scope versus a SFP scope.

Umm deadly0311, he said that people (asking questions) were imitating the experts (i.e. people on this forum). Not that the people on this forum were imitating "the Real" experts. Read what you quoted again.

It doesnt read that way to me, but do with it as you may.

No he said most of the posters on here are copying the big boys, as he doesn't think that the majority of the posters on the site need a FFP scope. Read long response... it reads like the ones copying the big boys are the ones on this site.

At least that is how I read it too. But being a grunt like Deadly, we maybe reading impaired. drawings would help.

Some important questions you have answer when saying "why not a SFP scope" are,

1. Do you have a Barber Pole Readily available ?

2. Have you mapped your reticle ?

3. Have you mapped your turrets ?

4. Do you regularly box test new scopes using more than 26 MOA ?

5. Is your power ring marked for the correct 1/2 power setting ?

If you answered "no" for any of them... the reason for not understanding becomes much clearer.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">At least that is how I read it too.</div></div>
I think it may be a case of that age-old problem of not being able to impart tone to what we type on forums.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hired Gun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A lot of new shooters come here looking to see what the big boys use</div></div>
Could be taken sarcastically, but I chose not to; seemed a genuine complement.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hired Gun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I decided to ask here where people really did use them</div></div>
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hired Gun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You were insulted because people are imitating <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-size: 11pt">experts from this forum?</span></span></div></div>
Again he seems to be referring to people on this forum as experts when it comes to the topic at hand.

I couldn't find an instance where he implied that the people on these forums were "posers" (my term). If you can find one, I'll stand corrected but it seems Hired Gun just came off a little smug in his opening posts and that seems to be one thing this forum can't tolerate in FNG's (Fucking New Guys)

Lowlight,
I was afraid you were going to think that was the only part of your post I read. I did read the whole thing and did learn from it.

Deadly0311,
Really?...... monkees? Where did you get that? I don't recall calling anyone anything disrespectful. I do apreaciate the time you took to reply.

Actually I just reviewed the whole thing and it was all going pretty well until USMCj went off getting making accusations and turning a conversation into a personal attack. Actually everyone else seems sincere in helping. Again thanks.

USMCj, Your profile is incomplete. I expected more from a Marine.

Lowlight,
You got me again. What is a Barber Pole? If need be refer to my signature line.

I actually regularly test my scopes for a minimum of 30MOA for actual value and that my point of impact is online at 30 minutes from zero. Then we make up our unknown distance steel course and then go shoot it cold. No sighters or walking it in allowed. Our game is cold bore shot. This is done in the woods over forrested mountain terrain. No time limit but only one shot per target. 1388 yards on a 10" steel target is my best shot so far. We would go shoot in competition but there are none near us that we are aware of.

Sorry, when I see bullshit I just cant help myself and have to call it like I see it.

And my profile has everything in there that I wish to share with the people on this forum. Many here know me outside of this forum also. So no need to write out my entire life in my profile.

Nice try though!

Well when the game is only 1 shot especially with no time limit of any kind a SFP duplex reticle works every time. Especially if it is a KD shot. However look at you misses throughout the the history of the game. A graduated reticle greatly aids in the second shot follow up, which in many circles is considered just as important as the first round. Plus isn't your cold bore game a bit boring shooting only once an hour or however long it takes for your cold bore to return.

Next consider urban engagements with a limited exposure target that is moving. You can swag your hold or know your hold, in either case an opened up FOV helps, however with a SFP scope you hold is no longer valid, unless the reticle is mapped and you have the power properly dialed. I on the other hand have none of these limitations. Issue is adjusting the magnification to fit the situation and not hoping the situation fits the reticle. But again if you are only ever using a center hold for a single shot your training for failure from the start.

Practicing in a small pond is great it shows you are at least practicing however that type of training becomes incestuous and closes you off to what is happening beyond the shores of your pond. Remember, One shot One Kill is a sales & marketing pitch, it's unrealistic to think you can account for every situation so you have to be adapt at adjusting on the fly. The changes have to made within 3 to 5 seconds regardless of the situation, that is the hallmark of a true tactical shooter.

Cold bore doesn't accurately reflect exactly how it's done. I'm not sure what to call it. It's always fun and interesting and we get better all the time. When it's your turn you run the course. Each shot is at a different range. We adjust on the fly and we keep kind of a gentlemans score based on hits. and how close to center is used for the tie breaker. Rarely can anyone hit every target everytime. It boils down to knowing your rifle, reading the wind and a lot of luck. Our new 1 mile plate is 16" wide by 24" tall. The rest are 12" or smaller. Sometimes it is done on live targets and they don't usually give a lot of time to mess around. Follow up shots are often on the move at ever changing angles and distances that may or may not be called by a spotter.

The rapid fire thing is something new I am trying to implement. My real sniper buddy cranks 10 at a time through his HS Precision 308 with no problem but I don't think my other buddy with his 338 AM is ever going to try to run his barrel hot. We have some mid speed 338 mags. I hate the 24" barrel so I am going to start running the heck out of it hot in an attempt to see how many licks it will take before I fry it. Then once it gets a nice barrel I will probably try to take care of that one. I'm going to also find out if Lapua brass is really any tougher than the cheaper brass. To improve my scope I really want an NPR1 reticle to use to cut down on the dialing and the time that takes.

After playing or long range game when it comes to big game hunting an elk at 1000 yards is starting to look pretty doable. Someday it just may happen.

Anyone close enough to come by is welcome to shoot with us and I promise to make it worth your while to come out. We treat guests like royalty. We are always looking to learn.

Please describe for us your technique for compensating for rapidly changing wind conditions.

You said you never run your scope below 25X. Do you ever shoot anywhere there's an actual summer? Do you ever shoot in low light conditions? Do you realize how limited your situational awareness is on 25X on things that move more quickly than steel plates?

Starting to see the small pond-ness of what it is you and your buddies do? Not that there's anything wrong with that but it really shouldn't be so difficult to acknowledge there are a lot of people out there who actually use those silly marks on the reticle. They really aren't there for decorative purposes only. And there are a lot of situations where 25X is just a bit much.

I didn't read this entire thread because I didn't see the need to. But I'm going to throw this in...

I have shot a couple of matches where electronics were not allowed. In fact, one match was a scenario based weekend where an EMP had disabled all electronics. We had to do it all old school and engaged targets from 25-900ish yards. Almost the entire match was UKD.

And to second what others said on the first page, shooting movers and shooting sitting/kneeling/standing is much easier when you dial back.

If you don't like/need FFP, don't buy one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hired Gun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Cold bore doesn't accurately reflect exactly how it's done. I'm not sure what to call it....It boils down to knowing your rifle, reading the wind and a lot of luck....Follow up shots are often on the move at ever changing angles and distances that may or may not be called by a spotter...rapid fire thing is something new I am trying to implement.My real sniper buddy cranks 10 at a time through his HS Precision 308 with no problem but I don't think my other buddy with his 338 AM is ever going to try to run his barrel hot. We have some mid speed 338 mags. I hate the 24" barrel so I am going to start running the heck out of it hot in an attempt to see how many licks it will take before I fry it. Then once it gets a nice barrel I will probably try to take care of that one... To improve my scope I really want an NPR1 reticle to use to cut down on the dialing and the time that takes.</div></div>There are so many assumptions in all of that.

Stop. Go back to the basics. First understand what you are doing and why you are doing it. Then work at getting better at what you want to achieve.

If you want to shoot rapid-fire targets without an understanding of the 'how' and the 'why' there's nothing wrong with that. Many of my 'sniper buddies' are out there doing that right now - and not just on a one-way range.

But it's important to understand what the equipment can do, and why it does what it does. Then hits become something other than luck.

I still shoot an SFP in matches. I have a FFP S&B, and I love it, but my match gun gets a SFP NF 3.5-15x50. And my misses still have nothing to do with needing a different scope or a better scope.

Can FFP scope be used for varmint hunting ? Shooting a squirrel at 400 yds+

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Iron Worker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can FFP scope be used for varmint hunting ? Shooting a squirrel at 400 yds+ </div></div>

Easily.

Wow. Tough room. I fixed the typo.
smile.gif

3.5-10x is what you get with some 15x scopes when the actual magnification achieves a power sufficient for the reticle to be correct for ranging.
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wow. Tough room. I fixed the typo.
smile.gif

3.5-10x is what you get with some 15x scopes when the actual magnification achieves a power sufficient for the reticle to be correct for ranging.
laugh.gif
</div></div>

Some cheaper scopes only can do 3x zoom ranges and are 3.5-10x too.

Obviously not the case with Nightforce.

Buy one of each.Try them out.Which ever one you don't like sell it or keep them both.

Very good advice given here.

Life is full of choices.....