• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Why am I getting POI Change?

Skeet375

Private
Minuteman
Mar 7, 2008
SW WA
I just installed a muzzle brake on my .300 Win mag. Now there is a big point of impact change. With the muzzle brake on I am about a foot lower at a hundred yds. Is this abnormal? I bored the muzzle brake .02 over size and threaded both on the lathe so everything should me concentric.

Re: Why am I getting POI Change?

Weight on the muzzle can change the harmonic balance of the barrel and result in a POI shift.

Whoa! I should read closer. A FOOT lower!?! Jeez. A small shift I could blame on the mysterious barrel harmonics (not everyone believes in them), but a foot? No sign of strikes in the brake? Did you recut the crown when you threaded the muzzle?

I ran the center in the bore when I threaded it then I used a steady rest to re-cut the crown with a recessed 90 degree. I can't see anything were it is striking the muzzle brake. I am shooting berger vlds and it seems like they would fly apart if they were hitting. Today I shot it with the muzzle brake on then with it off so its not like my scope is sitting different or the action isn't sitting in the stock the same.

It doesn't kick as much right? If so that means less muzzle rise in reoil. Gun shoots lower. Has little to do with harmonic. Harmonic affects accuracy.

interesting........what kind of brake did you use?

With one of my AR's I was getting about 6inch difference between an A2 FH and bare muzzle.

With my GAP with Thruster in 300WM I get no POI change with/without.

This is true for my Kimber 300WM.

Something might be out of whack.

Barrel is changed,period.POI can change because of that,shoot more and see if the POI is consistant then go from there.If consistant POI,just reset zero and be done.If not,then something most likely is off centric.Just my .02cents.Goodshootin'
~Reagan

CDixon gave the answer...less recoil, less muzzle rise before the bullet leaves the end of the barrel.

This can be more pronounced in handguns (i.e 45 ACP) where higher velocity rounds (i.e. 185gn SWC) shoot below POA where slower velocity (i.e. 230gn RN) print higher. Seems counter-intuitive until you realize that the few extra miliseconds in the barral under recoil rise do make a difference. And remember, the rise is not necessarily straight up either.

BTW--how are your groups? Better, worse or the same?

ZY

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ZY100</div><div class="ubbcode-body">CDixon gave the answer...less recoil, less muzzle rise before the bullet leaves the end of the barrel.

This can be more pronounced in handguns (i.e 45 ACP) where higher velocity rounds (i.e. 185gn SWC) shoot below POA where slower velocity (i.e. 230gn RN) print higher. Seems counter-intuitive until you realize that the few extra miliseconds in the barral under recoil rise do make a difference. And remember, the rise is not necessarily straight up either.

BTW--how are your groups? Better, worse or the same?

ZY</div></div>
This sounds very plausible Try it with and without the brake If you get a 12" POI change there's likely your answer

Wouldn't the muzzle brake also decrease the projectile's velocity by allowing pressure to escape from the sides? I imagine this would contribte to a lower point of impact when using a zero established with a higher velocity round. Maybe it's not responsible for all 12" of the drop in POI, but possibly some.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: boudin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wouldn't the muzzle brake also decrease the projectile's velocity by allowing pressure to escape from the sides? I imagine this would contribte to a lower point of impact when using a zero established with a higher velocity round. Maybe it's not responsible for all 12" of the drop in POI, but possibly some. </div></div>

^^^^This was a joke right?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: C. Dixon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It doesn't kick as much right? If so that means less muzzle rise in reoil. Gun shoots lower. Has little to do with harmonic. Harmonic affects accuracy. </div></div>

I'm not a gunsmith but the break doesn't work till after the bullet has left the barrel. Or am I off base in my thinking?

A one-foot change in point of impact at 100 yards? That's you, not the rifle.

I cleaned up the muzzle brake and found a slight copper scuff mark on the top right at the end. I opened up the bore a little more but I haven't tried it yet. I am surprised the bullets were holding together and didn't disintegrate and they shot pretty good. The brake is one I made that is really similar to Hollands quick discharge brake. The recoil is so much less it amazes me.

Skeet375 when i had my brake installed I had a POI shift, cant remember if elevation went up or down, but the shots were impacting a few inches right at 100 yards but the impacts where consistent and in the same spot.

The rifles zero was re-evaluated and was back on track shooting lights out within a few rounds.

My understanding is that some do experience change in POI, some do not.

Not a joke. A question actually, but your response sent me searching for an answer for myself and as it turns out, no it would not decrease velocity. However, in some instances it has been found to <span style="font-style: italic">increase</span> muzzle velocity if it is not cut excessively oversize. I guess that makes a little more sense. Thanks for the clarification.

Skeet375 if you chuckup the barrel in your chuck and have it running straight then run a boring bar so you are only cutting on one side you won't have the bullet hitting the brake.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Skeet375</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just installed a muzzle brake on my .300 Win mag. Now there is a big point of impact change. With the muzzle brake on I am about a foot lower at a hundred yds. Is this abnormal? I bored the muzzle brake .02 over size and threaded both on the lathe so everything should me concentric. </div></div>

How did you set up the muzzle end? steady rest, thru headstock? did you indicate the muzzle in on the bore?

If it was set up concentric as you say you would not be getting strikes on the brake. So we need to evaluate the problem with the instal.

Grabbed the action in the chuck, dialed in the barrel just ahead of the action ran a center in the muzzle. Turned my tendon, threaded, setup the steady rest moved center away indicated bore with indicator rod. re cut muzzle with a recessed 90 degree crown and lapped the burr off with roundheaded brass screw and lapping compound. When I built the muzzel brake I did it all in one setup in the lathe. I did drill the bore through, but new drill bit and centerdrilled first. Bored out the internal tread portion and singlepointed the treads. I just didn't give myself enough clearance in the hole. Now that its opened it up to .328 I am shooting to the same POI and in one ragged hole.

I came late to class, sorry. Was your original hole in the brake .310 (.308 + .02). If so man that was tight. Glad to hear you got it figured out.

We really need pics of the finished brake and report on how well it reduced recoil.

gunbuildhuntingtrips047.jpg

I hope this image works. It was taken before I deburred it and filed the baffles flat. Originaly the hole was .01 over and now I opened it up .020 over. If I had to guess the recoil has got to be close to 50% less.