• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Why am I hearing Manufacturers dropping .357sig?

inspcalahan

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Jul 3, 2005
The Last Frontier
In two days, on three different forums, I've heard people mentioning that .357sig is going away? I found out HK stopped making guns in .357sig a while back, then I heard Smith is dropping it from their M&P's now??

I know it's not the most prevalent caliber out there, but it's proven itself and is being carried by plenty....seems silly to drop it.

Anyone have more info on this?

Re: Why am I hearing Manufacturers dropping .357sig?

Old news.

S&W closed out their .357 Sig M&Ps and we were blowing them out RETAIL for $399 brand new, and that was a while back.

Was probably the best gun deal we saw in a couple months.

As for the caliber, it's dying and has been for quite some time. Despite what you may have heard, it's not at all a popular round.

Very little adoption among LE/military, high ammo costs vs 40 S&W, and just about every model made in the past several decades has been made in .40, so it's trying to beat down a huge headstart.

S&W dropped it, H&K dropped it, Springfield used to chamber old XDs in 357Sig and 45Gap, but the XDMs aren't being made in either caliber.

Federal has an amazing ability to make calibers that nobody wants.

357 Sig, 327 Fed Mag, 338 Fed,

.357 SIG is a helluva round, and I wouldn't say that nobody wants it so much as I would say that it's sort of a niche caliber. Last I knew, several states were still using it and alphabet agencies, too. In comparison, .40 S&W is too abusive. The increased recoil isn't worth the downrange effects. At any rate, I'm well stocked up and if push comes to shove I'll figure out how to reload for my P229.

Damn - it's actually a very very effective round. I'd hate to see it go.....may be time to pick one or two up and stock up on the rounds.

It outperforms 40's and is much nicer to shoot.....can't see what's bad about that.

I do like the 357sig round and know of a few LE agencies use the round to good effect , I also think it is a better round than the 40 S&W . Seem's a lot of people will most likely disagree with me .

Can't really see it dyeing off altogether .

With the US Secret Service, Air Marshals, Texas DPS troopers, and various other police departments / military units around the world using it I doubt very seriously it will disappear anytime soon. Those who have used it, especially against vehicle window glass/body panels know why.

when my state agency went from .357 magnum revolvers (yes we were still carrying them 6 years ago!!!) to a semi, they went to a glock 31 in .357 sig.

they found that the round has close to the same knietic energy and same FPS as the .357 magnum using a 125 gr head, and outstanding results in geletin. which having 16 rounds of that at your fingertips is rather nice. plus it's surprisingly rather flat shooting and the POA doesn't change all that much until about 30 yards out - which with a defensive pistol is really pushing the envelope anyway.

i never liked glocks for target (as i actually like to hit what i'm aiming at), but i tell you this round is scary accurate and that glock shoots extremely well with that chambering. but other than the .45acp, it's become my favorite chambering for when you need a little more "umph".

unfortunately, the cost of the ammo is one of it's biggest downfalls and the ability to easily reload it for practice rounds is way too time consuming (shouldered case and semi pistol - not really a good combination for mass reloading for defensive / offensive / competition shooting practice). another problem (especially with winchester made) is that the heads either got pushed in or pushed out of the casing every now and then as the rounds got cycled. recoil is a little sharp in a plastic pistol too, many that are not accustomed to shooting find it hard to get back on target and handle at times, another drawback for using for IDPA, IPSC, etc., or to place in the hands of raw cadets, "part time" LEOs, or small handed individuals with big gripped pistols.

so between costs and having a "cookie cutter" sidearm, the .357 sig may not be the go to cartridge when trying to fit a large crosssection of officers.

i'd rather use a single double tap .357 sig center mass than 2 or three 9mm DTs for the same effect.

I think Sig and Glock will stick with it. I think it's a great cartridge, but only for carrying. It's obnoxious to reload, and ammo is pricey. Thankfully, all 357 pistols can have a 40 barrel dropped in for practice.

Because the letter agencies use it, it won't dry up altogether. With the Speer 125gr Gold Dots - it's awesome.

Whenever I choose to pack my G33, I think to myself "I sure hope I don't have to shoot this...it's LOUD".

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KSwift</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
357 Sig, 327 Fed Mag, 338 Fed, </div></div>

It's funny you mention this, because I wouldn't mind having a .327 myself.

I have no use for .357 Sig and if I wanted its performance, I would simply pack my 9mm cases slam full of a slower powder (Power Pistol, AA#7, etc.) and call it a day.

I haven't felt the need to develop such a load yet.

Police agencies have bureaucrats searching for the magic bullet all day long.

Shooters know that practice and shot placement are the only saving grace.

If I wanted to improve my chances of a good hit on target, I'd convince myself to carry a fullsize gun rather than worry about its caliber.

But what do I know, my max capacity carry gun is a 9+1 single stack 9mm.

9mm Luger will always hold more rounds than .357 Sig and if I were a cop on the street, I'd choose a 9mm Luger over a .357 Sig all day long on this fact alone.

I'm issued a .357Sig by my agency and I like just fine. In fact I plan to buy one of my own, to go along with my 9s and .45s.

As a "shooter" I do know, and agree, shot placement is what counts(as was mentioned above), and anyone carrying should strive for the best placement regardless of the caliber.

I doubt .357Sig is going away, companies change their model lines all the time, nothing to fear.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KSwift</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
357 Sig, 327 Fed Mag, 338 Fed, </div></div>

It's funny you mention this, because I wouldn't mind having a .327 myself.

I have no use for .357 Sig and if I wanted its performance, I would simply pack my 9mm cases slam full of a slower powder (Power Pistol, AA#7, etc.) and call it a day.

I haven't felt the need to develop such a load yet.

Police agencies have bureaucrats searching for the magic bullet all day long.

Shooters know that practice and shot placement are the only saving grace.

If I wanted to improve my chances of a good hit on target, I'd convince myself to carry a fullsize gun rather than worry about its caliber.

But what do I know, my max capacity carry gun is a 9+1 single stack 9mm.

9mm Luger will always hold more rounds than .357 Sig and if I were a cop on the street, I'd choose a 9mm Luger over a .357 Sig all day long on this fact alone.

</div></div>

If Smith would make a 340 in 327 with 6 shots, I'd get one. 340s with 357 are simply too much, but 38+P is more than manageable for me. A little more power, energy, speed and capacity is JUST what the doctor ordered. Alas, Smith only has strange configurations of the J frame in 327, and the Ruger SP is too heavy and clunky, though it is the perfect small gun if you love 357.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have no use for .357 Sig and if I wanted its performance, I would simply pack my 9mm cases slam full of a slower powder (Power Pistol, AA#7, etc.) and call it a day.</div></div>

It's fatuously simplistic to just say that .357 SIG is an overloaded 9MM.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">9mm Luger will always hold more rounds than .357 Sig and if I were a cop on the street, I'd choose a 9mm Luger over a .357 Sig all day long on this fact alone.</div></div>

You'd want it until you had to deal with an active shooter on the other side of car window glass, a car door, or a barricade. 9MM is fine for polite, straight-line social work until they hunker down behind something. The design of the .357 SIG allows for more variety of load and more available energy, not to mention that the bottleneck is a great plus for chambering. That's why a lot of departments, like TX DPS, among others, went with .357 SIG. Read up: http://www.handguninfo.com/Archive/www.Pete-357.com/9mm.357.compare.htm

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If Smith would make a 340 in 327 with 6 shots, I'd get one. 340s with 357 are simply too much, but 38+P is more than manageable for me. A little more power, energy, speed and capacity is JUST what the doctor ordered. Alas, Smith only has strange configurations of the J frame in 327, and the Ruger SP is too heavy and clunky, though it is the perfect small gun if you love 357. </div></div>

We're talking about apples here, not oranges. Besides, I don't bother with J-frames, Ds, or SPs ... 3 and 4" Ks are fine.

357 Sig won't go away completely, it has too big of a following. Its a little sharper recoiling in a light ccw gun for me. 9mm is faster for follow up shots and has more capacity. But in a duty gun, if 9mm wasn't allowed by the department I'd take it over 40s&w.

i love the .357 sig. my G32 was probably the most accurate and fun to shoot pistol i have owned. but like mentioned, its expensive. i couldnt afford to shoot it a ton so i sold it. if it werent so expensive i could see a lot more people wanting it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TOP PREDATOR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">when my state agency went from .357 magnum revolvers (yes we were still carrying them 6 years ago!!!) to a semi, they went to a glock 31 in .357 sig.

they found that the round has close to the same knietic energy and same FPS as the .357 magnum using a 125 gr head, and outstanding results in geletin. which having 16 rounds of that at your fingertips is rather nice. plus it's surprisingly rather flat shooting and the POA doesn't change all that much until about 30 yards out - which with a defensive pistol is really pushing the envelope anyway.

i never liked glocks for target (as i actually like to hit what i'm aiming at), but i tell you this round is scary accurate and that glock shoots extremely well with that chambering. but other than the .45acp, it's become my favorite chambering for when you need a little more "umph".

unfortunately, the cost of the ammo is one of it's biggest downfalls and the ability to easily reload it for practice rounds is way too time consuming (shouldered case and semi pistol - not really a good combination for mass reloading for defensive / offensive / competition shooting practice). another problem (especially with winchester made) is that the heads either got pushed in or pushed out of the casing every now and then as the rounds got cycled. recoil is a little sharp in a plastic pistol too, many that are not accustomed to shooting find it hard to get back on target and handle at times, another drawback for using for IDPA, IPSC, etc., or to place in the hands of raw cadets, "part time" LEOs, or small handed individuals with big gripped pistols.

so between costs and having a "cookie cutter" sidearm, the .357 sig may not be the go to cartridge when trying to fit a large crosssection of officers.

i'd rather use a single double tap .357 sig center mass than 2 or three 9mm DTs for the same effect.
</div></div>

I agree that the .357 sig round is effective. I would argue that 1 round of .357 sig is as effective as 2 to 3 9mm rounds. It just is not possible.....

Arguments that the .357 sig is miles ahead of the 9mm in relation to barriers are not that great.

Pretty much all pistol calibers SUCK through barriers.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: D.A.T.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Arguments that the .357 sig is miles ahead of the 9mm in relation to barriers are not that great.

Pretty much all pistol calibers SUCK through barriers. </div></div>

Can you cite any formal or informal studies or are you repeating range hearsay?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Veer_G</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
You'd want it until you had to deal with an active shooter on the other side of car window glass, a car door, or a barricade. 9MM is fine for polite, straight-line social work until they hunker down behind something. The design of the .357 SIG allows for more variety of load and more available energy, not to mention that the bottleneck is a great plus for chambering. That's why a lot of departments, like TX DPS, among others, went with .357 SIG. Read up: http://www.handguninfo.com/Archive/www.Pete-357.com/9mm.357.compare.htm
</div></div>

Are you effing kidding me? Get a long gun. Jesus.

If you're facing an "active shooter" with your pistol, you're already screwed.

If your policies and tactics dictate shooting through a car door or windshield with a pistol, I'm just glad that I carry my own gun to protect myself, because that is so unbelievably unrealistic that it's surprising we're talking about real-world people believing this crap rather than writing a movie script.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Veer_G</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: D.A.T.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Arguments that the .357 sig is miles ahead of the 9mm in relation to barriers are not that great.

Can you cite any formal or informal studies or are you repeating range hearsay? </div></div>

Range hearsay?

It's the same bullet. Stop trying to delude yourself into thinking that you're shooting anything other than a 9mm, because it just ain't so.

.357 Sig is 2-3 rounds of 9mm? Laughable at the very least.

Holy Jesus. Wtf happened here?

Downzero, would the brass even hold up to the sort of loading you're describing? I'm curious. I can't say as I agree with all of you reasoning on the 9mm. But I respect your opinion. A good friend of mine has a similar opinion.

Veer_G- Yes, it is basically an overloaded 9mm. It's hardly the first of it's kind. Consider the .357 Magnum. It's basically an overloaded 9mm as well. So are the 9x23 Winchester, .356 TSW, .38 Casull, as well as the .38 Super (when properly loaded). What .357 Sig has over all of them is the ability to fit into a 9mm Parabellum size frame.

As far as barriers, I know where the great barrier myth started on this cartridge. It had to do with 1 or 2 Texas DPS shootings that involved shooting into vehicles which, allegedly, the .357 Sig did quite well.

Food for thought http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_iQFtGhHFs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWRToW2d1XU&feature=endscreen&NR=1
Old videos, and not particularly scientific, but it's worth looking at. It shows what good cover a car actually is. There are few handguns

In this day in age, it's entirely possible to end up facing someone who's barricaded in a car. Best plan? Use your car to escape. No handgun is particularly reliable against a car. They aren't even reliable stoppers when someone isn't behind cover.

I don't want to get into the ballistic argument, but as an el-cheapo when it comes to shooting I can offer a lower cost alternative to the .357 sig round to those who reload.

Years back when I shot IPSC alot I had a .357 Sig / .40 switch top gun. I used .40 cases and ran them into a sig die and they would form a .357 sig that was just a few thousands shorter. Now unless your going to cut a custom chamber on a 9mm barrel, the case will headspace on the shoulder not on the case mouth as it was designed to do.

I ended up having a reamer made to match the formed cases and it really helped accuracy and I had no problems. The .40 cases were free so I just shot them and left them lay. I wouldn't load crazy hot because the .40 case design was not made to handle .357 sig pressures. Internally the web is beefer in the sig.

I'm just throwing this out there to make guys aware that you can form your brass, and it may be cheaper if you scrounge up some free or cheap .40 brass.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Veer_G</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
</div></div>

Are you effing kidding me? Get a long gun. Jesus.

If you're facing an "active shooter" with your pistol, you're already screwed.

If your policies and tactics dictate shooting through a car door or windshield with a pistol, I'm just glad that I carry my own gun to protect myself, because that is so unbelievably unrealistic that it's surprising we're talking about real-world people believing this crap rather than writing a movie script.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Veer_G</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: D.A.T.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Arguments that the .357 sig is miles ahead of the 9mm in relation to barriers are not that great.

Can you cite any formal or informal studies or are you repeating range hearsay? </div></div>

Range hearsay?

It's the same bullet. Stop trying to delude yourself into thinking that you're shooting anything other than a 9mm, because it just ain't so.

.357 Sig is 2-3 rounds of 9mm? Laughable at the very least. </div></div>

1. If you've got a <span style="font-style: italic">truly</span> barricaded subject, someone who with premeditation has placed themselves in a position to shoot it out, and you have recourse of a rifle or shotgun, that's sort of a "no shit, Sherlock" statement.

2. Nobody's talking about the <span style="font-style: italic">bullet,</span> we're talking about the flexible powder capacity behind it, greater than the space in a 9. And 125gr isn't the only choice; I've seen 147s, as well, and I think they've done 115s, too.

3. I didn't establish an equation between 9 and .357 SIG. That was somebody else.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nw1911guy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Holy Jesus. Wtf happened here?

Downzero, would the brass even hold up to the sort of loading you're describing? I'm curious. I can't say as I agree with all of you reasoning on the 9mm. But I respect your opinion. A good friend of mine has a similar opinion.
</div></div>

It depends on how hot we're talking. At the absolute maximum, .357 Sig still has the edge, of course. But I'm willing to bet that I could develop a load with commonly available powders that would make most people question why .357 Sig exists. Doing it with 115 and 124/5 grain bullets would be easier than with 147s, but I suggest that you take a quick look at these two loadings and tell me for yourself:

http://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=119

http://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=123

The real-world difference between these two loads is just not very much at all. The difference in more typical factory loadings is similar (when comparing +P 9mm Luger loads to .357 Sig).

You can debate that 100-150 FPS if you want to, but there's no place I'd rather have 100 FPS than 3 more rounds, and I don't think that most reasonable people would disagree with me.

Could both loads be pushed more? Probably. I don't think the gap would widen by pushing the loads more, though. In the absolute sense, a case with more capacity has more potential, because pressure = force / area. But in the real world, if there isn't a remarkable difference in performance, the reduced capacity is a serious disadvantage.

Keep in mind that none of this really matters to me, as I'm not looking for chrono data or magic bullets to save me. This is only interesting, if at all, in a theoretical sense, comes down to a judgment call, and for me, 100-150 FPS isn't enough, and if it were, I'd carry a 9mm with a longer barrel rather than give up the capacity for ballistic performance.

In fact, I carry only the heaviest bullets available for a given caliber, and so I'm quite confident that 147s at 1000-1100 FPS will do just fine.

I'll check out the videos.

I'll say one last thing on this one: I've never had a FTF or a FTE with .357 SIG. With 9MM and .45 ACP? Yes, with both, whether through my fault or because of the growing pains of a weapon that wasn't yet quite broken in.

[/quote]
I agree that the .357 sig round is effective. I would argue that 1 round of .357 sig is as effective as 2 to 3 9mm rounds. It just is not possible.....
[/quote]

The ratio you will typically see in modern handguns is ~80% capacity (12rds 357 to 15rds 9mm), and not 50-33% as you suggest. If you are only shooting 2-3 rounds, short of a 357 sig contender vs a 9mm derrenger, you will never find that capacity discrepancy.

I wonder what the percentage of handgun usages go beyond 12 rounds but not more than 15? That scenario would mean the 9mm has an enormous time advantage in the fact that you do not need to complete a reload.

Without betraying the vast extent of my ignorance on the subject; what would be the rationale for owning/using more than one handgun chambering (and I except .22LR as a secondary/training chambering)?

Answering my own question, I recognize the desire for a backup handgun.

Also, u New Yorkers have to live with a ten round magazine limit.

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Without betraying the vast extent of my ignorance on the subject; what would be the rationale for owning/using more than one handgun chambering (and I except .22LR as a secondary/training chambering)?

</div></div>

The only reason I own anything other than a 9mm Luger is because the competitions in which I participate dictate that there is a competitive advantage in shooting something other than that. When there isn't, I shoot 9mm.

I don't carry more than one handgun (ever) but I do carry a "backup" sized handgun quite a bit, and that's the only other gun that is not chambered in 9mm Luger.

For the others, it makes no sense to me. I've owned and shot nearly all modern calibers of handguns. Owning a variety for the sake of variety no longer makes sense to me.

No dog in this fight...I personally never owned the Sig round. .357 mag, yes.

"The statement that the .357Sig, “has the ability to defeat hard targets better it can expand more with an equal bullet type.”, is not supported by either our research or that of the FBI FTU Ballistic Research Facility in Quantico, VA. When firing through heavy clothing, automotive steel panels, automobile windshield glass, interior wall segments, exterior wall segments, and plywood, both the .357 Sig Speer 125 gr JHP Gold Dot and 9mm Speer 124 gr +P JHP Gold Dot exhibited nearly identical penetration and expansion results THROUGH ALL THE DIFFERENT BARRIERS. Several .40 S&W and .45 ACP loads offered superior terminal performance through barriers compared to the 9mm and .357 Sig loads."

Also...barrier workup with photos.

http://intrencik.com/357sig.htm

FBI .357 Sig penetration study...

http://www.armsmaster.net-a.googlepages.com/357sig.pdf

Downzero,

I'm not entirely sure that there is much left for the .357 Sig after a CCI/Speer LE loading. I saw plenty of brass that had some awfully flat looking primers. I'm not expert on loading, but I should think that might be indicative of the load already being a bit "hot".

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Without betraying the vast extent of my ignorance on the subject; what would be the rationale for owning/using more than one handgun chambering (and I except .22LR as a secondary/training chambering)?

</div></div>

The only reason I own anything other than a 9mm Luger is because the competitions in which I participate dictate that there is a competitive advantage in shooting something other than that. When there isn't, I shoot 9mm.

I don't carry more than one handgun (ever) but I do carry a "backup" sized handgun quite a bit, and that's the only other gun that is not chambered in 9mm Luger.

For the others, it makes no sense to me. I've owned and shot nearly all modern calibers of handguns. Owning a variety for the sake of variety no longer makes sense to me. </div></div>

Greg,
to add to what Downzero said. It really depends on your purposes. Some of us have a preference for a particular platform and like to be able to have similar control layouts for various firearms that are used for different purposes. An example might be, that you prefer to use a full size .45 Government model (5"bbl 8rd. mag)whenever possible but sometimes, you need to be a bit more low key. So maybe you opt for an Officer size for those times. But you don't like the recoil of the .45 when paired with an aluminum frame and 3.5" bbl, so you opt for that one to be a 9mm for purposes of controllability. Then, maybe you spend time out in wild and don't necessarily like revolvers but still have to deal with some of the nastier 4 legged critters. In this instance, that same basic platform could be had in .400 Cor-Bon, 10mm, or (god forbid) .460 Rowland.

Other purposes might be for the individual who carries more than one gun. Maybe it's .45 Government model and a Smith J Frame in .38 Special or a Kel Tec P32 in .32 Acp. Unlike Downzero, I do occasionally carry more than 1 gun. Especially around Christmas time. lol

As you can see, there are various reasons people have more than one caliber on hand. Some may just like experimenting. It's really up to you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RollingThunder51</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No dog in this fight...I personally never owned the Sig round. .357 mag, yes.

"The statement that the .357Sig, “has the ability to defeat hard targets better it can expand more with an equal bullet type.”, is not supported by either our research or that of the FBI FTU Ballistic Research Facility in Quantico, VA. When firing through heavy clothing, automotive steel panels, automobile windshield glass, interior wall segments, exterior wall segments, and plywood, both the .357 Sig Speer 125 gr JHP Gold Dot and 9mm Speer 124 gr +P JHP Gold Dot exhibited nearly identical penetration and expansion results THROUGH ALL THE DIFFERENT BARRIERS. Several .40 S&W and .45 ACP loads offered superior terminal performance through barriers compared to the 9mm and .357 Sig loads."

</div></div>

This doesn't surprise me at all.

nw1911guy,

Those buffalo bore loads I posted appear to have a pretty significant ballistic performance advantage over Speer's loading for the same bullets. I'm not sure I'd push 9mm that hard, but then again, most of the stuff I load is not for this type of application.

Either way, the advantage of a few more fps just isn't there. Mostly we're talking in test barrel, theoretical ballistics land if anything.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RollingThunder51</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No dog in this fight...I personally never owned the Sig round. .357 mag, yes.

</div></div>

nw1911guy,

Those buffalo bore loads I posted appear to have a pretty significant ballistic performance advantage over Speer's loading for the same bullets. I'm not sure I'd push 9mm that hard, but then again, most of the stuff I load is not for this type of application.

Either way, the advantage of a few more fps just isn't there. Mostly we're talking in test barrel, theoretical ballistics land if anything. </div></div>

So Downzero,

How would you explain the track record the Texas DPS has had with this cartridge? Ayoob (not my favorite source by any means) has pointed out it has a track record in the real world surpasses pretty much all other cartridges. I'm just curious here.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nw1911guy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RollingThunder51</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No dog in this fight...I personally never owned the Sig round. .357 mag, yes.

</div></div>

nw1911guy,

Either way, the advantage of a few more fps just isn't there. Mostly we're talking in test barrel, theoretical ballistics land if anything. </div></div>

So Downzero,

How would you explain the track record the Texas DPS has had with this cartridge? Ayoob (not my favorite source by any means) has pointed out it has a track record in the real world surpasses pretty much all other cartridges. I'm just curious here. </div></div>

It's probably easier to explain when you realize that most agencies that are using 9mm Luger aren't running 124 grain bullets at 1300+ FPS. Considering basically all .357 Sig ammo is loaded to this level, it's kinda obvious why comparing most 9mm loadings to .357 Sig is apples to oranges.

Comparing 1300+ FPS 9mm Luger to 1400ish FPS .357 Sig is bound to produce similar terminal results because you're basically talking about the same thing. I wouldn't claim that anything other than theory and intuition backs this argument, though, because it'd be hard to get a sample that included only higher pressure 9mm loadings versus .357 Sig.

The only way to do a scientific analysis of this would be to assure that your sample contained only similar bullet designs fired at high velocities from both guns.

That's not mentioning bullet, either. Since the .357 Sig market is pretty limited, most loadings are going to use the Speer Gold Dot, which I'm sure we can all agree is an excellent bullet design. I suspect that if we constrained the sample even only to 9mm Luger shootings resulting from the use of Gold Dot bullets, we'd find that a demonstrable performance increase from the use of premium bullets, regardless of caliber.

It's very rare that I involve myself in pistol ballistics discussions because there are just too many misconceptions about terminal performance. My rule of thumb is that if you think there's a huge difference between one pistol caliber and another, you probably need to check the facts again.

I'm not surprised that .357 Sig performs well, because all of it is hot. I'm not surprised that Gold Dots work great out of anything. And I'm not surprised that 9mm Luger can do just as well as .357 Sig with hot loads and similar weight bullets, because we're talking about the same weight, diameter, and design of bullets shot at very similar muzzle velocities.

What I am surprised about is the number of people who will spent lots of time researching this rather than shooting. My understanding of ballistic performance stems more from making ammunition from lots of shooting rather than studying the intricacies of every possible chambering.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Without betraying the vast extent of my ignorance on the subject; what would be the rationale for owning/using more than one handgun chambering (and I except .22LR as a secondary/training chambering)?

Also, u New Yorkers have to live with a ten round magazine limit.

Greg </div></div>

As a lady of the evening said to me once at 13th and Spruce in Philly's tenderloin, variety is the spice of life!

I don’t attend ranges much and don’t buy into the "If I heard it, it must be true" I base it on training I received in the military and now as LEO using FBI stats that were given to us at firearms instructor school.

I'd rather have a pistol then a knife, but pistols suck. The reason for pistols is rifles are too big to carry everyday and not socially accepted to do so with.

No discussion over barrel length in 9 vs 357?

I know I read somewhere 357 works really well in short barrels - though this surprises me, being how loud 357 is, and how much blast it has, which implies lots of afterburning and unused powder.

My Kahr PM9 does 1190fps over the chrono with Winchester 124gr PDX1, which seems GREAT to me from such a short barrel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No discussion over barrel length in 9 vs 357?

I know I read somewhere 357 works really well in short barrels - though this surprises me, being how loud 357 is, and how much blast it has, which implies lots of afterburning and unused powder.

My Kahr PM9 does 1190fps over the chrono with Winchester 124gr PDX1, which seems GREAT to me from such a short barrel. </div></div>

It's funny you mention that. One of my good friends that argues in favor of the 9mm typically also shoots it out of a Glock 34.

We can only tweak our parameters in a couple of fairly well-constrained manners...bullet diameter, case size, powder weight, overall length, etc. Manufacturers looking to sell more stuff to the same customers and tinkerers obsessed with the quest for perfection are the driving force behind new calibers that essentially do the exact same thing as older calibers. Market forces, in the form of quantities bought and economies of scale, eventually force manufacturers to sacrifice their pet projects.

In the long run it's more interesting to ask why .40 S&W came about at the time it did and became dominant, rather than .357 Sig. Had the latter been developed by Sig a decade sooner, odds are it might well have assumed the place currently held by Short & Weak.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Arbiter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In the long run it's more interesting to ask why .40 S&W came about at the time it did and became dominant, rather than .357 Sig. Had the latter been developed by Sig a decade sooner, odds are it might well have assumed the place currently held by Short & Weak. </div></div>

My understanding is that .40 S&W was a somewhat sheepish step back from 10MM, in itself a reaction to perceived insufficiencies of other FBI calibers after a disastrous felony stop in Miami prompted changes. I've never shot 10MM, but I have experience with .40 S&W, which I find thoroughly obnoxious in everything but a rather large and stable platform.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Veer_G</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Arbiter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In the long run it's more interesting to ask why .40 S&W came about at the time it did and became dominant, rather than .357 Sig. Had the latter been developed by Sig a decade sooner, odds are it might well have assumed the place currently held by Short & Weak. </div></div>

My understanding is that .40 S&W was a somewhat sheepish step back from 10MM, in itself a reaction to perceived insufficiencies of other FBI calibers after a disastrous felony stop in Miami prompted changes. I've never shot 10MM, but I have experience with .40 S&W, which I find thoroughly obnoxious in everything but a rather large and stable platform. </div></div>

Yeah thats why it's called 40 Short & Weak .

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dbateman™</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Veer_G</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

My understanding is that .40 S&W was a somewhat sheepish step back from 10MM, in itself a reaction to perceived insufficiencies of other FBI calibers after a disastrous felony stop in Miami prompted changes. I've never shot 10MM, but I have experience with .40 S&W, which I find thoroughly obnoxious in everything but a rather large and stable platform. </div></div>

Yeah thats why it's called 40 Short & Weak . </div></div>

Or less obnoxious and abusive?
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Veer_G</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Arbiter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In the long run it's more interesting to ask why .40 S&W came about at the time it did and became dominant, rather than .357 Sig. Had the latter been developed by Sig a decade sooner, odds are it might well have assumed the place currently held by Short & Weak. </div></div>

I'm a pretty serious 10mm guy - but agree with you on 40. Believe it or not, 10mm recoil, while more stout than 40, is NOT obnoxious like 40. Whereas a 40 cracks and a 45 thumps, the 10 is kinda in between. Some of the crack of the 40 and a good bit of the thump of the 45.

Try it - 10s are great!

A S&W 610 is on my "maybe" list.

all the agencies are using 40...feel good caliber...best of the heavy vs fast world.