• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Why are Foundation stocks popular?

Which do you prefer the most for precision shooting?

• Foundation stocks

Votes: 60 32.6%
  • Chassis

Votes: 75 40.8%
  • Manners stocks

Votes: 37 20.1%
  • Other stocks

Votes: 12 6.5%

• Total voters
since you’ve run both the PRS1 and foundation, which bids you like better
I have both as well.

Now have multiple Foundations and one PRS remains because I haven’t sold it yet for another foundation as it’s on a Vudoo.

They are shaped the same but the manners is much lighter and doesn’t feel as solid.

For me they are an equal stock. I do think I was able to get my manners balanced a little easier and lighter by a couple pounds over the Foundation. The textured grip of the Manners I really do like as well. At this time I have 4 manners stocks. 2- PRS1T, 1-T4A & 1-LRH. I have traded into most of them. The wife loves the LRH as it shaved ton's of weight off of her rifle. I will probably order another Foundation in 2024 as I have 2 more rifles being built at this time. Both of them are going to be 6-8 months out so I have plenty of that. I really do like the DEAD recoil impulse a Foundation transfers through it. I would also like to try a Revelation on my hunting rifle. I wish Foundation had a loaner program or rental program I would be down to pay $100 for a rental fee non refundable & charge your CC in full if not returned in 30 days!!!

Seems like Centurion is best fitted for me.

My heavy gun is a lone peak w/ 28" MTU barrel - would you guys recommend doing the light option for ease of getting balance ideal without needing additional weight? I got a feeling future tubes might be end up at 24" for use with a can as well.

Also, i see mention of making them fit to different actions. Say a guy found a good deal on one inletted for an Impact - how difficult would it be to get it to play nice with a lone peak?

I've never really warmed up to my MPA, especially when it's cold AF here in MN.

For me they are an equal stock. I do think I was able to get my manners balanced a little easier and lighter by a couple pounds over the Foundation. The textured grip of the Manners I really do like as well. At this time I have 4 manners stocks. 2- PRS1T, 1-T4A & 1-LRH. I have traded into most of them. The wife loves the LRH as it shaved ton's of weight off of her rifle. I will probably order another Foundation in 2024 as I have 2 more rifles being built at this time. Both of them are going to be 6-8 months out so I have plenty of that. I really do like the DEAD recoil impulse a Foundation transfers through it. I would also like to try a Revelation on my hunting rifle. I wish Foundation had a loaner program or rental program I would be down to pay $100 for a rental fee non refundable & charge your CC in full if not returned in 30 days!!!
That would be awesome, if they offered that program I’d 100% do it just so I can test out a genesis 2 without the risk of not liking it.

Reactions: Defender32
Meh. I’ve had MPA, XLR, KRG, and Foundation and never once had to A) bed a chassis B) take an action out to change a barrel or C) do anything other than comply with manufacturer’s instructions for action screw torque to secure the action.

Yeah, the foundation is a nice fit but it doesn’t do anything, with regards to holding on to the action, that any other high quality equipment doesn’t do,

So you change the barrel while the action is in the chassis/stock? How does that work?

I have by barreled action out of my stock on a regular basis, to clean, change barrels, and clean triggers. Because I shoot in detrimental conditions to include dust, rain and mud.

Reactions: FredHammer
So you change the barrel while the action is in the chassis/stock? How does that work?

I have by barreled action out of my stock on a regular basis, to clean, change barrels, and clean triggers. Because I shoot in detrimental conditions to include dust, rain and mud.
I shoot year round in every conceivable condition. Once an action goes in, it never comes out. Of course there is zero humidity here so even after a snowstorm, by the time it gets home, everything is dry. Barrel vice the barrel ahead of the forend, action wrench the back and don’t torque on the chassis. Easy peasy.

I've tried to move away from my Foundations a couple times now. Everything from an MPA Matrix Pro and MDT ACC Elite (both with all the accessories) to a Manners TCS and PRS1. Heck, even an XLR Envy. They all seem like they'd have the better grip, more adjustability and better fitment.

Yet, even with the lack of features and adjustability; for me, there is nothing that comes even close to the comfort and shoot-ability of a Foundation. The simplicity is a huge bonus.

That and the action literally sticks in the stock. I've turned some of my Foundations over after pulling the DBM and action screws and the BA won't fall out.

I've tried to move away from my Foundations a couple times now. Everything from an MPA Matrix Pro and MDT ACC Elite (both with all the accessories) to a Manners TCS and PRS1. Heck, even an XLR Envy. They all seem like they'd have the better grip, more adjustability and better fitment.

Yet, even with the lack of features and adjustability; for me, there is nothing that comes even close to the comfort and shoot-ability of a Foundation. The simplicity is a huge bonus.

That and the action literally sticks in the stock. I've turned some of my Foundations over after pulling the DBM and action screws and the BA won't fall out.

I actually kinda like the XLR Envy with the C6 better than the MDT ACC but yeah my long range bench rest action sits in a foundation.

No offense but your the title of your thread "why are Foundation stocks popular" is going to skew your poll results. Most manners, Mcmillian, TS Customs guys probably won't even click this thread with a title like that. Foundation stocks are showing popular but mostly Foundation fans are going to look on a thread with this title. Try a "What's your favorite stock" thread. Just saying

Reactions: California
I have ran a lot of chassis, and a few centurions. The foundation is dead in feel, no vibes or harmonics transmitted through it. That's the biggest benefit. The wide fat contoured forend does ride a bag nicely in recoil pulse. They however lack adjustability, tuning balance point, they're extremely butt heavy so need the heaviest or no taper barrels, shortest LOP is 13.5 without chopping. The new Samson from foundation now has some adjustment built into it, but it's $1800+ and still has a minimum lop of 13.5"

I have ran a lot of chassis, and a few centurions. The foundation is dead in feel, no vibes or harmonics transmitted through it. That's the biggest benefit. The wide fat contoured forend does ride a bag nicely in recoil pulse. They however lack adjustability, tuning balance point, they're extremely butt heavy so need the heaviest or no taper barrels, shortest LOP is 13.5 without chopping. The new Samson from foundation now has some adjustment built into it, but it's $1800+ and still has a minimum lop of 13.5"

Thats odd, I got mine down to just under 13" by pulling the spacer out. Didn't have to special order or anything. If you do order through Foundation they can go as short as 12.5"ish.

Thats odd, I got mine down to just under 13" by pulling the spacer out. Didn't have to special order or anything. If you do order through Foundation they can go as short as 12.5"ish.

Yea, I guess anything is possible, but the standard LOP on a Foundation is 13.5" *with* the .5" space. Should be able to remove it and have a 13" LOP. And as you said, can custom order shorter.

LAWRT. Why did I open this thread...

I dig the dead feel of recoil. The only chassis that I've noticed this feeling is the ARC Xylo. I think it must be attributed to the action lug clamp. One of my favorite features of that chassis. Cool how the Foundations achieve the deadness through such precise inletting and the dense micarta. Tits!

Reactions: DubfromGA
They’re slippery, costly for the feature set, and lack adjustability. All fixable of course, but they get meh from me after trying a Centurion for a shooting season.

The product quality and JK’s customer service are both good.

The biggest issue I have and why I keep trying different stuff is getting them balanced is a pain in the ass and I can only go down to 13" LoP and being a short guy thats a little bit of a pain.

View attachment 8262357

Makes the Centurion even better
I love this picture... took this one at Max Ordinate Academy in December. Love my Foundations.
20231213_143516.jpg

Well I'm convinced enough to give it a try. Ordering a Centurion with a 12.5" minimum LOP and adjustable buttpad (makes minimum LOP 13") today for a barreled action that will be coming in 3-4 months. The stock lead time is 4-5 months.

Last edited:
I really do enjoy the Revelation i bought as its my first stock from them. I have the heavier version due to putting a 26" barrel on. The fit and feel is awesome. May put my hunting barrel in this one. I did just order a Centurion for my left handed action. Went from 4-8 weeks lead time to 4-5 months. It will definitely be worth it.
1000007810.jpg

The Centurion balances great with MTU+ contour, VCC, or a 24-26" 1.250" strait. No weight kit required. It runs really well on a bag and deadens recoil to spot impacts/trace better than anything else I've used. Not sure why there's so much debate in this thread. You've either experienced it or you haven't...... No, it isn't as adjustable as a modern chassis........ that's the point and the allure. It's everything you need and nothing you don't. If multiple people aren't shooting your rifles and it's just being setup for you, then let's be honest you don't need all that adjustment, or for it to be toolless........... set your rifle up for a comfortable length of pull that allows for you to get a complete sight picture standing on a bag with the optic on max magnification. That'll work for all other positions and magnifications. Once the rifle is setup......... LEAVE IT ALONE.

FYI The min LOP with all spacers removed fastened with short screws on a standard centurion as it comes is 13.25" to a TT diamond with flat shoe.

Attachments

• 20240201_164414.jpg
    20240201_164414.jpg
    644.7 KB · Views: 37
  • 20240201_180809.jpg
    20240201_180809.jpg
    506.1 KB · Views: 31
No, it isn't as adjustable as a modern chassis
Even that seems to be kind of overblown if you order a Foundation with some accessories/options. The Centurion I ordered a few days ago has a 12.5" minimum LOP (I just had to request it, no extra cost) and an adjustable recoil pad ($150 and increases min LOP to 13"). Plus unless I've misread something the standard cheekpiece has both vertical and lateral adjustment, not sure how many chassis systems have lateral adjustment on theirs. I think the only big thing is the grip to trigger distance isn't adjustable but I'm gambling that the Centurion grip will fit me, I think it will at least.

Reactions: Zack_va248
Even that seems to be kind of overblown if you order a Foundation with some accessories/options. The Centurion I ordered a few days ago has a 12.5" minimum LOP (I just had to request it, no extra cost) and an adjustable recoil pad ($150 and increases min LOP to 13"). Plus unless I've misread something the standard cheekpiece has both vertical and lateral adjustment, not sure how many chassis systems have lateral adjustment on theirs. I think the only big thing is the grip to trigger distance isn't adjustable but I'm gambling that the Centurion grip will fit me, I think it will at least.
I'm fairly certain unless your hands are tiny you'll be able to support a proper 90 degree trigger press with the grip. Indeed overblown. People often find value in options they don't typically actually utilize. In all things, not just rifles. They spend lots of money to get the features for hypothetical situations that they probably have never been in nor will be. They'd be much better served to set the rifle up properly, leave it alone, and make sure they can shoot 1/2moa or better consistently and 1moa or better via kraft drill positional. For example I shoot in the .2's and .3's consistently prone and regularly shoot 1.5moa krafts. With most targets being 2-3 moa at most PRS events for more than 75% of the match....... if I'm missing it's due to shit wind calling. The rifle and I as a system are more than capable of cleaning the match.

Foundations support good fundamentals if you have developed them. They don't hold any of your barreled actions performance back. Don't require bedding or anything crazy to make them work well. They balance and if someone shoots poorly with them........ I'd lean heavily that they'd shoot poorly with anything.

Reactions: Dendro
I'm fairly certain unless your hands are tiny you'll be able to support a proper 90 degree trigger press with the grip.
I'm 6'1" with average size hands for my height, though not very beefy since my job is on computers. The grip to trigger distance should be just about right for me if I guessed right. I've got very high hopes for the Centurion and I'm very excited for it.

Reactions: Zack_va248
Adjustability is one of the things I did NOT like about chassis. Always wanting to adjust stiff and never comfortable.

Well I'm convinced enough to give it a try. Ordering a Centurion with a 12.5" minimum LOP and adjustable buttpad (makes minimum LOP 13") today for a barreled action that will be coming in 3-4 months. The stock lead time is 4-5 months.
Wow I just ordered another centurion last week and didn’t think to ask about lead time. Looks like it might be a while.

Wow I just ordered another centurion last week and didn’t think to ask about lead time. Looks like it might be a while.
I ordered through a dealer which some get allocated slots 🤔 but idk about that.

Because it's intended for a barreled action I won't have in hand for 2-4 months I'm not too antsy about it. If that barreled action arrives ahead of schedule I'm sure my eagerness will go up but I feel good just having my place in line right now. I'm very much looking forward to finally having one of my own.

I was pleasantly surprised to get an email from Amy last week, my newest stock was getting shipped. It showed up yesterday so got her all dressed and weighted last night. I took a barreled action out of another centurion and dropped into this today, zero was spot on.

Another exceptional stock!
IMG_6169.jpeg

I was pleasantly surprised to get an email from Amy last week, my newest stock was getting shipped. It showed up yesterday so got her all dressed and weighted last night. I took a barreled action out of another centurion and dropped into this today, zero was spot on.

Another exceptional stock!
Out of curiosity, how long was the wait for that Centurion? I'm early on in the wait for mine but very eager.