• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Why are shooters saying AR style 308s hard to shot

gunn317

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 12, 2012
South Carolina
I have a lot of experience with M 16A2 from 8 yrs in the Marine Corps and have never found this type of rifle hard to shot. With that being said I did quite a bit of shooting in Division matches so I have always found the M16 easy to shoot and to diagnose where the problem of a missed shot came from (always me). I am getting ready to order my first custom gun and my two final choices are a GAP 10 in 6.5 creedmore or go with the GAP M40A3. I have typically been a bolt gun guy and would love to have a M40 yet I am really excited about a gas gun with 3/4 moa guarantee and groups as good as 3/8s. I have read forum after forum of people warning that the GAP and AR 10s as a whole are hard to shoot and maintain accuracy. Where is this coming from? People not used to shooting service rifles or does the system change as the caliber increases (I have a hard time believing this), again all my experience with ar platforms is in 5.56 and I really don't want to order a 4k rifle then not hold the accuracy that is achievable with a bolt gun. Thanks for the heads up and appreciate your feedback as this forum is generally known as the GAP encyclopedia in terms of all things GA precision.

Re: Why are shooters saying AR style 308s hard to shot

I was looking at building a .308 caliber AR at one point. From what I read, I think it's mostly people not used to a semi auto with considerable recoil. Some tend to shoot faster then they would because they don't have a bolt to cycle and in turn don't take time from shot to shot to get back on target. Does that make sense, tryin not to make too long of a reply.

I have a high dollar bolt gun that shoots 1/2 most of the time if i am having a good day.I have also shot a lot of gas guns.They are harder to shoot because of all the moving parts and the mass of the bolt.You have to do all the basic marksmanship right.The gas guns have several different recoils.If you can shoot an auto before you purchase.I have a Gap Crusader.The Gap bolts will not let you down not to mention murder your brass.1Sg

Thanks guys,

That was what I was thinking. I just couldn't see an entire weapons system changing due to caliber. I have a place near and dear to my heart from the Corps shooting so much A2 and A4 so that helps me pull my hair out more whether or to bolt gun or not to bolt gun. I think I am pulling the trigger on a GAP 10 when my Gi Bill comes in at the end of the month I will have the extra cash.

Semper fi leather neck. I understand what your saying but there is a difference between the .223 and the 308 besides caliber. Body position is far more important with the 308. Managing recoil is also much more important with the 308.
The only real way to find out is get a good one like a JP or les baer or a custom rig get some match ammo and see how you do. I don't think you would have a problem. Fundamentals don't change.

1sg,

Just out of curiousity why do the GAPs murder brass. I dont reload right now but would like to learn in the future.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ammo dog 2311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Semper fi leather neck. I understand what your saying but there is a difference between the .223 and the 308 besides caliber. Body position is far more important with the 308. Managing recoil is also much more important with the 308.
The only real way to find out is get a good one like a JP or les baer or a custom rig get some match ammo and see how you do. I don't think you would have a problem. Fundamentals don't change. </div></div>

Semper Fi brother! Thanks for the input, that's the way I was leaning was that the fundamentals of marksmanship will fix all issues that come from a heavier recoiled rifle. I have a couple .308s so the recoil will not be new at all just changing from a bolt gun to a sexy Ferrari custom gas gun that GAP puts out!

Maybe I got lucky but my gap 10 doesn't damage the brass very much. Nothing like what people will have you believe.

I'm probably a little picky about my brass as I mostly shoot bolt guns, but every AR10 gas gun I have had or been around has been tougher on brass than the bolt guns. Tends to leave more marks on the body and base of the case. Just my observation. In the end, it still reloads and shoots without any problems.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gun317</div><div class="ubbcode-body">1sg,

Just out of curiousity why do the GAPs murder brass. I dont reload right now but would like to learn in the future.</div></div>I should have said most autos murder brass.Most people only get 3 or so loads out of 1 case.

My AR-10 is not a GAP but was hard on brass, pockets loose on a mild load. I tried to fix it by adding a Slash heavy buffer, that didn't work. I added a carrier weight in addition to the heavy buffet and that still didn't work. I went back to the standard buffer and added an adjustable gas block and bingo! Pockets nice and tight! No more ejector swipes either...

Most AR10's are grossly over-gassed. And adjustable gas block like GhostFace mentioned will fix the issue of harsh recoil vs a bolt gun and denting brass.

gun317 if you ever come up towards myrtle beach i have a gap built mega mono you can try out

I don't have a GAP AR-10 but my two uppers are Medesha (.260) and EGW/Sabreco (.308). The maintain their accuracy quite well. Only thing I noticed when I first got my AR-10T (became the .260 upper) was there is more recoil than say a AR-15 but the lead weight, CWS fixed that. With the two custom uppers the gas pressures are a lot less and they shoot quite well. Both are now in a spacegun configuration for across the course shooting, but have been shot in 1k LR Matches and did well. Only thing I have with the -10s and this doesn't apply to how most/all the people here shoot is they are bulky in offhand and sitting, but if you are just shooting prone from bag/bi-pod or even slung up they are just fine.

Let me preface what I am going to say with the fact I am not a great shooter by any means.

Though I love my AR-10, it is much much much much harder for me to shoot well. I have also been frustrated by all the moving parts. I have much less time with a bolt gun than I do my AR, but I am a much better shot with them. From GAP I think you will have a much better AR than I do. Mine has some problems that need to get worked out, these problems don't stop it from being accurate though. My good friend who came back from the Marines for a weekend can work my AR MUCH better than I.

It is individual.

Turtle,

Appreciate it, I actually need to take a trip to myrtle beach at some pointm lived in the great state of SC for coming up on 8 yrs and have never been. I have several buddies that take their wives up regularly and have a great time. Every review I have read and videos watched is really selling me on the GAP 10. Even 2 or 3 weeks ago if someone would have told me I was going to think about buying an AR style long range rifle I would have slapped them. I have always been a bolt gun guy until I found Tyler's videos of the GAP. It seems amazing that they can ring that much accuracy out of them and it is probably going to become my go too gun whether hunting or target or whatever I decide to shot at.

Shooting the AR10 for me is very different than an AR. I was trained to keep my nose to the charging handle on the M16A2. First time I shot a AR10 I did the same thing...never did that again

OP,

Most of my experience with AR-10 style concepts is with a particular DPMS SASS. Upon pulling the trigger from the prone sandbag supported position, the feel of things during follow through is somewhat different than what I experience from my bolt gun. I perceive that recoil resistance is more linear or that's to say, less angular than I experience when shooting a bolt gun with a traditional stock. Since my groupings with the SASS are really good, approaching zero dispersion, I have contemplated that I am maintaining or controlling the recoil resistance with the SASS more constantly than I can with a bolt gun in a traditional stock. I do not find the concept hard to shoot but instead I find it better accommodates good shooting than the bolt gun, which would require extreme control to get the results which can be realized casually with the AR-10 style.

I used to own a DPMS SASS. I wouldn't say it was "harder" to shoot than my bolt gun, but it definitely made errors in my fundamentals much more noticeable. Perhaps less forgiving is a better way to describe it.

To me, shooting a semi is much more distracting (versus a bolt gun) because of the blow-back in my face, the noise of the recoil spring, and the different recoil impulses. Add that to the fact that I'm not particularly comfortable behind them and I can see how some people find them "harder" to shoot.

I think a better way to describe it is that semis simply magnify errors in your mechanics MUCH more than a bolt gun.

Like many here I've got a lot of time / rounds behind an AR-15 and found when getting behind a large format AR that things changed. Yes there is a bit more recoil, but nothing most of us aren't used to. The thing that bothers me is the bolt slamming closed. The bolt group is heavy and all that mass moving back and forth is distracting.
I've had really good results from a DPMS .308 that I put together, with 5/8" groups @ 100 and holding that moa out to 800 yd. Still don't care for the recoil impulse. I have shot a 3 gun specific 308 AR with a lightened bolt carrier that really solved this issue, didn't get to shoot it at any distance so not sure if that aspect was affected. With a lightened carrier and an ajustable gas block I think the system would be easier to shoot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jethro3898</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I used to own a DPMS SASS. I wouldn't say it was "harder" to shoot than my bolt gun, but it definitely made errors in my fundamentals much more noticeable. Perhaps less forgiving is a better way to describe it.

To me, shooting a semi is much more distracting (versus a bolt gun) because of the blow-back in my face, the noise of the recoil spring, and the different recoil impulses. Add that to the fact that I'm not particularly comfortable behind them and I can see how some people find them "harder" to shoot.

I think a better way to describe it is that semis simply magnify errors in your mechanics MUCH more than a bolt gun.

</div></div>

Well said, that is exactly the way I feel.

kinda parroting others on this, same experience. 308 is definitely more recoil and you need to be more solid for it. not nearly as forgiving as 5.56. The bolt going forward was damn distracting for me after shooting 5.56 for so long. Felt like someone slapping the rifle when it was settling from recoil. Fun. On a side note, i had gotten so used to being extremely loose when i shot my precision ar's that the first time i started shooting it in 308 i was getting bump fires by accident lol. I had to tighten up my position considerably. The bolt slamming home had enough force to rock me through the reset and break the trigger again. And that was a 24 inch bull barrel 308. Really fun. whole different experience.

Semper fi.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gun317</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just couldn't see an entire weapons system changing due to caliber.</div></div>Look again.
wink.gif

I've shot an AR-10t for a several years and actually I'm more comfortable behind it than I am behind my AI MKII. I can shoot the AI a bit more accurate than the AR b ut the AR is bone stock. The AR will run hand in hand with my AI to 800 yards and I can acutally get on target a bit quicker with it than the AI. I quess it all depends on the type of shooting you do. I've certainly made a few quys scratch their head when you can do as good or better than them running a gas gun.

They take a little getting used to at first in my opinion. Once the little nuances are figured out and adjusted for they shoot just as easily. As with most stuff it's the person not the tool. However a good tool always makes the work easier and better
wink.gif

As others have stated shooting an AR 10 platform takes some adjustments. I replaced the standard grip with an Ergo over sized pistol grip and this helped. Also a upgraded trigger is a must 3.5-4.5 lbs of pull is ideal. In addition when shouldering the weapon snug it a little tighter than a bolt gun. Also when using a bipod lean a little into it. All in all it takes a little adjustment however but you will see your groups shrink in size after some time. I can shoot my gasser just as good as my bolt gun now.

Johnny

Another aspect is lock time. The AR's locktime is 17-23 miliseconds vs. 3 - 5 milliseconds for a Rem. 700. A longer lock time would not be kind to poor technique.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scaup58</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Another aspect is lock time. The AR's locktime is 17-23 miliseconds vs. 3 - 5 milliseconds for a Rem. 700. A longer lock time would not be kind to poor technique. </div></div>

Finally someone said it.
I was beginning to really lose faith in this forum.

So follow through is more important with longer lock-times.

Take slop out of an AR and you can make tiny manipulations with the grip, bolt guns are usually better to begin with in this regard.
Get your bi-pod out as far as possible.
Ramp up the trigger pressure until it breaks WHILE fine tuning aim.
Bring the trigger to the rear, and keep it there through recoil.
Always keep both eyes open and take a mental snap-shot at recoil (call your shot, which prevents flinching by giving you mental focus).
Basic marksmanship skills.

I personally feel that a 308 AR recoils much softer than an equal weight bolt gun firing the same ammunition.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hamilton</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scaup58</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Another aspect is lock time. The AR's locktime is 17-23 miliseconds vs. 3 - 5 milliseconds for a Rem. 700. A longer lock time would not be kind to poor technique. </div></div>

Finally someone said it.
I was beginning to really lose faith in this forum.

So follow through is more important with longer lock-times.

Take slop out of an AR and you can make tiny manipulations with the grip, bolt guns are usually better to begin with in this regard.
Get your bi-pod out as far as possible.
Ramp up the trigger pressure until it breaks WHILE fine tuning aim.
Bring the trigger to the rear, and keep it there through recoil.
Always keep both eyes open and take a mental snap-shot at recoil (call your shot, which prevents flinching by giving you mental focus).
Basic marksmanship skills.

I personally feel that a 308 AR recoils much softer than an equal weight bolt gun firing the same ammunition.

</div></div>
LOL well it's still several steps up the ladder from arfcom.
Agree with your list and sometimes a sling or a little frontend control can help.

I have a GAP 10 in .308 with a break that was my first precision rifle. It has very little felt recoil with the break but it is on the heavy side compared to my brother's LMT in .308. They promised 3/4 moa but it has shot consistently 1/2 to 3/4 moa out to 500. I haven't had a chance to stretch it out more than that yet. When I bought it the guys at GA told me the secret was to pull it tight into the shoulder and make sure to load the bipod. It seems to work. Maybe it's because that's what I learned on. I'm no expert but given the choice I'd go to the GAP 10 first for accuracy. Maybe I just got a really good one but I absolutely love it! Go with the GAP 10 I don't think you'll be disappointed!