• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Why are so many people selling their razor's?

pepper 2111

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 19, 2013
I'm just curious, I see a lot of people selling their vortex razor's. I'm wondering why? Are you not happy? Going to something else?

Thanks
Luke

A Razor just won the Oregon Sniper Challenge... just sayin' ;)

Not selling mine. I love it! Maybe even a little more than my Nightforce.

I'm probably going to sell mine at some point, but only because I want to switch to 10 mil turrets and a different reticle (I could send it in to Vortex to have it done, but probably cost about the same as selling mine used and buying a new one -- I get new scope, some lucky Hide member gets to buy a badass optic at a discount, everybody wins!)

Last edited:
Thanks for the input so far. I appreciate it. I was wondering if there was some quality issues that I wasn't familiar with or if something else.

For the same reasons they sell their Schmidts and their USO's and their Premiers and their Steiners.......to fund other projects.

Last edited:
I think you see more for sale because they are selling more period. In other words there is just a higher number of them out there, so consequently there is more for sale. Tough optic to beat in the 2k price range.

Not selling mine. I love it! Maybe even a little more than my Nightforce.

What do you think about your Nightforce VS RAZOR? Do you like the Razor better? I'm just curious, because it was a really hard decision to be a really nice scope for my .338, and chose the RAZOR because it have FFP and more elevation than the Nightforce. I'm just curious to see how it compares to the Nightforce and perhaps USO.

I'm not trying to say it's a SB, but if it's 95% of what a SB is for 1/2 the money, it seems like a winner for bang for your buck.

Love mine. Great solid scope for the money. Best choice for me was EBR-2B reticle with 10 mil turrets. Saw one for sale with 5 mil turrets, but not as practical for the distance I want to shoot. Have 2 March scopes and a BEAST on order. No one scope can cover everything, but the Razor comes close with nice glass, FFP and rugged with best warranty in the business, which I've never had to use. Many great options these days. Make the best choice in your price range you can and purchase used, if possible, to save a little money. Good luck.

I'm just curious, I see a lot of people selling their vortex razor's. I'm wondering why? Are you not happy? Going to something else?

Thanks
Luke
because there are a lot out there so there is natural turn over in this industry as people move to the next big thing. You can also say that about GAP rifles on this forum...why are they always for sale? Because there are so many people that buy them there is natural turnover. On this site there is a very large mix of people. Some people that can buy the next big thing and others that wait for those to sale the last big thing at a discounted price. Razors were the last big thing and now the Beast and ATACR's are here and coming out soon. In about a year or two there will be the next big thing and you will start to see the Beast's for sale as the cycle continues.

Thank for all the input fellas. I own one and love it for manys. I was hoping there wasn't something going wrong with them that I didn't know about

Folks how would the EBR-2B reticle perfrom for varmints such as rabbits and foxes ? Does the open center make accuracy more difficult or enhance it ? I understand there is no floating dot in the ceter of this open style reticle.

Also think of the people who have a 5mil turret and want 10mil or vice verse. Or want a different reticle...

I just got one last week and think I finally found the perfect scope for me. I have had so far: Leupold Mk4 M3 3.5-10, SWFA 5-20HD, Steiner 5-25 MSR, and now a Razor 5-20 with EBR-2B and 10-mil/turn. The glass is outstanding. The only glass I've seen personally that's better is S&B (of course). The reticle is thinner than the other FFP scopes I've owned, which I like. I never got comfortable with the thicker FFP reticles I've had in the past. I really like the open center too, and the Horus-like / x-mas tree reticle is nice and useful.

Reading what I have here on the boards about Vortex's CS sealed the deal for me. I just shot a match with it this past Saturday and it was perfect. I only mounted and zeroed it the day before and was dialed after only two shots. Setting the ZS was simple and the whole package is a bargain for what you actually get. Scope + sunshade, ARD, bubble-level, flip open caps, cleaning cloth and tools, plus a really nice owner's manual and reticle manual. I'm really happy and impressed with this scope.

I just got one last week and think I finally found the perfect scope for me. I have had so far: Leupold Mk4 M3 3.5-10, SWFA 5-20HD, Steiner 5-25 MSR, and now a Razor 5-20 with EBR-2B and 10-mil/turn. The glass is outstanding. The only glass I've seen personally that's better is S&B (of course). The reticle is thinner than the other FFP scopes I've owned, which I like. I never got comfortable with the thicker FFP reticles I've had in the past. I really like the open center too, and the Horus-like / x-mas tree reticle is nice and useful.

Reading what I have here on the boards about Vortex's CS sealed the deal for me. I just shot a match with it this past Saturday and it was perfect. I only mounted and zeroed it the day before and was dialed after only two shots. Setting the ZS was simple and the whole package is a bargain for what you actually get. Scope + sunshade, ARD, bubble-level, flip open caps, cleaning cloth and tools, plus a really nice owner's manual and reticle manual. I'm really happy and impressed with this scope.

How do you like those 10 MIL turrets? Are the clicks well defined? I guess what I'm trying to get at with the 5 MIL turrets, there is absolutely no questions where you are dialing. So with those 10 MIL turrets are you sure where exactly your dialing (no "play", like for example you dial 4.2 mils, but not sure if you're at 4.2 or 4.1, or perhaps 4.3 MILS).

I'm getting the EBR-2B with 10 MIL turrets.

How do you like those 10 MIL turrets? Are the clicks well defined? I guess what I'm trying to get at with the 5 MIL turrets, there is absolutely no questions where you are dialing. So with those 10 MIL turrets are you sure where exactly your dialing (no "play", like for example you dial 4.2 mils, but not sure if you're at 4.2 or 4.1, or perhaps 4.3 MILS).

I have no problem with knowing where I am on elevation with the Razor. I've had other scopes that I did have difficulty with this. The Steiner had something like ~14 mils per turn and it was tight. I really, really liked my Steiner, but I think it was too much scope for me. I will probably pick up another one but probably the 3-15 version and if it had the MSR-2 or whatever they're calling it, I think I would like it better. Steiner glass, CS and scopes are really great. I did like the illumination control on my Steiner better than on the Razor. I'd say my perfect scope would be a 3-15 Steiner, with 10 mils per turn and the EBR-2B reticle!

How nice would it be if we could all pick and choose what we want in our scopes?!

Vortex core optics made in Asia prior to assembly in the USA.So is it really made in the USA? Manufacturing has gone Overseas due to the overall cost lowering factors. People are funny all apple products are made in China by Foxconn you don't hear people complaining about it . Anyway most of the foreign auto makers have factories here in the USA the core parts are made overseas shipped here and assembled here. Everyone here come to this forum using computers made in china. Personally I would use what US Military snipers uses Schmidt & Bender.

Yeah, ONLY the RAZORS are made in Japan. I think the other Vipers and other models are made elsewhere, most likely China or the Phillipines.

Yeah, ONLY the RAZORS are made in Japan. I think the other Vipers and other models are made elsewhere, most likely China or the Phillipines.

Thought so and I believe the PST parts are made in Japan and assembled in the Philippines.

I'm getting the EBR-2B with 10 MIL turrets.

better then the SWFA HD

Yes, that is why I never purchased a Vortex scope. I have always done the American pride thing and purchased American scopes. Is Nightforce American made? I'm considering going to them but just started thinking about it. I remember I called Vortex a couple of years ago and asked about the scopes. When I asked where they were made the phone went dead on their end. I tried calling right back but no one answered. Another reason I did not buy one. I have heard that they are pretty good scopes from non-snipers (school trained) but none of the HOGs in my circles have tried them.

People sell things for a lot of reasons. Like they don't need it or want it any longer. Over the years I have purchased more scopes and turned around and traded them in or sold them myself. To the point I only have a few scopes just laying around doing nothing. Best deals out there will be used scopes with a warranty that stays with the scope. Vortex is popular now. There will be more Vortex for sale because there are more of them in use. People upgrade in the constant pursuit of happiness.

Yes, that is why I never purchased a Vortex scope. I have always done the American pride thing and purchased American scopes. Is Nightforce American made? I'm considering going to them but just started thinking about it. I remember I called Vortex a couple of years ago and asked about the scopes. When I asked where they were made the phone went dead on their end. I tried calling right back but no one answered. Another reason I did not buy one. I have heard that they are pretty good scopes from non-snipers (school trained) but none of the HOGs in my circles have tried them.

Vortex has never made a secret of where their scopes were made. The Razors in Japan and the Vipers in the PI. Don't make it sound like it's some secret or they tried to keep it secret. I don't limit myself to made in the US scopes. I buy what works. Seems like scopes are the place people yell "I want made in the USA" and then put them on their AI rifles and shoot Lapua ammo through them. See any hypocrisy there?

And with Vortex having some of the best customer service in the market I find it hard to believe they hung up on you and then no one answered the phone unless they were on the line with other customers. Did you leave a message? My team mate is a HOG and has no problem running a Vortex scope.

Some of it comes from Prize Table swag as well. Have seen several instances from just my limited competition experience where I saw a guy pick a scope up from a prize table on Sunday and it was posted on here for sale Sunday night. Not that its a bad thing...if you don't need a scope, then a few grand in your pocket is better. But just that it is another source of the "BNIB" Vortex scopes being sold a lot on here I'd imagine. People taking them on trades for other stuff then selling them is another...Extra scopes are as good as cash for someone with a safe full of S&B and Nightforces. Doesn't mean Vortex aren't good scopes...People sell S&B, USO and every other top tier brand on here every day and everyone would agree there is nothing "wrong" (inherently) with those brands.

I only told my experience as it happened. My intention was not to bash Vortex but only to state the facts of my only experience with them. I don't have an AI or shoot lapua. I shoot a Remington 700 in .308 with a USO on it. I'm not against the idea of using foreign made equipment but just haven't made that jump yet. I am slow to change as I started out shooting Garands and 03's at Perry prior to going in then carried an M40A1 for the first part of my enlistment. I resisted the A3 but had no choice as they took my A1. Yes, I'm slow to change but if you are saying that your buddy says they are good then maybe I should give them a try. Is there are specific model that you suggest?

Thanks
Luke

When you say Razors, are you referring to the 5-20's as an example or Razors as a whole including the Gen 2 4.5-27's. Unless I missed it somewhere.

I still run a gen-I Razor on my match rifle and like everything about it. For the price, IMO, there isn't anything better out there yet.

If I could afford S&B, sure, I'd get one or something from Kahles. But for the past year and a half, the Razor has gotten the job done. I have no complaints.

Where can I buy another me? It would be really convenient having one me working while the other goes and has fun.

That depends, would I be the me working, or going out and having fun? Plus, as another mouth to feed, we'd probably both have to get jobs just to pay the bills. Grrr...no free rides with the law of unintended consequences.