• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Why are we still shooting semi auto's from the 50s

Shoottothrill

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 26, 2012
Arizona
Why are we still shooting the same basic semi auto rifle platforms from the 1950's and 1960's. In 52 years is there no rifle designer better than Stoner and Kalashnikov???

Re: Why are we still shooting semi auto's from the 50s

I'll bite.

Why not...?

AR_2.jpg

AR_4.jpg

Look at the GAP-10s, LMT MWSes...and if you want Gas Piston, PWS and their MK rifles...that's why I say "why not...?".

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 78steeler</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why are we still shooting the same basic semi auto rifle platforms from the 1950's and 1960's. In 52 years is there no rifle designer better than Stoner and Kalashnikov??? </div></div>

I guess you're going to show us your new, innovative design?

TIme is irrelevant.

The AR platform works.

Other options just mix and mingle the gas operated (M1 garrand, M1 carbine, AK, SKS) and AR stuff.

BMT

I think they're working on the phased plasma rifle in the 40 watt range so it'll be out by next SHOT. It's gonna be a game changer!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bmt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Time is irrelevant.

The AR platform works.

Other options just mix and mingle the gas operated (M1 garrand, M1 carbine, AK, SKS) and AR stuff.

BMT </div></div>

He said what I couldn't find correct words for.

Many mechanical devices and tools are much like their ancestors of long ago. They pretty much do their jobs as well as it can be done.
The incremental improvements to the AR over time, have elevated it to a whole other level, though. It has to do with the thing's inherent complexity. It's not like a microchip, which advances in power literally on a schedule.

I would also add that the military has used ARs for a long time, so the infrastructure is there.

Maybe this should be on the Red Jacket thread. I'm sure they wil come up with a "game changer"! LOL

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tomf</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Maybe this should be on the Red Jacket thread. I'm sure they wil come up with a "game changer"! LOL</div></div>

Too bad they lost their SOT and are being sued 6 ways from Sunday, that's really going to delay them bringing that whole "nuclear security" thing to market, lol.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Solid_Squirrel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Many mechanical devices and tools are much like their ancestors of long ago. They pretty much do their jobs as well as it can be done.
The incremental improvements to the AR over time, have elevated it to a whole other level, though. It has to do with the thing's inherent complexity. It's not like a microchip, which advances in power literally on a schedule.

I would also add that the military has used ARs for a long time, so the infrastructure is there. </div></div>

This is a great answer.

I totally agree that todays Ar rifle platforms like the gap-10, (which I will be ordering soon) and all the others are bad ass accurate reliable rifle systems. It just amazes me that in 50+ years we are still just improving on thier designs. Not sure what I expect, just wondering where the great minds of today are? Maybe if it's not broke don't fix it.

I think it's very much like a bicycle, the basic bike design has been around forever, people make stronger, lighter, faster ones but they are all very similar because sometimes basic designs come about as good as can be done without greatly diminishing returns for effort invested.

1911 pistols, over 100 years later....

Like others have stated... "it works".

I wish that manufacturers could come up with standard upgrades that make sense. ie: ambi controls, charging handle options. But that creates issues because companies are looking to differentiate themselves.

I like the KAC sr15, but the problem is that changes to the design are creating proprietery parts. I have a hard time investing in a gun that may or may not be in existense 10yrs from now. Look at the sig556. It is expensive and if parts break they will be hard to come by later on. The SCAR, great rifles, but I doubt that it's going to become the new platform of the future.

The ar15 provides interchangability and you can be confident that the platform will continue to be suppported for long time to come.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Uo8SstWVsxE"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Uo8SstWVsxE" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Same reason we're using bolt guns designed 120 years ago. Like others said.. It works. Works well.

...and the DI AR-15 plaform works...well enough. Look at the new DoD handgun comp...nope, shot down. Logistics is huge. Yes, the Coast Guard go their Sig .40S&Ws and others are runnings SCARS...but for GPF (general purpose forces) fielding hundreds of thousands of new platforms...maybe millions...is big money. I LOVE...my piston driven ARs. Won't go back to DI...it's just that good...but we'll have to convince MANY it's better.

for the same reason we are shooting bolt actions designed in the 1890's

Yup...got to thank Mauser for that!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Powder Burns</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Uo8SstWVsxE"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Uo8SstWVsxE" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>
</div></div>

I saw this booth at shot this year, right next to Red Jacket.

Looking at all the "modern" auto pistol designs, you'll find the safety (if it has one), the slide lock, and mag release are all in basically the same locations that John Browning originally intended them to be. "Modern" maybe, "improved" or "new design"--not so much. Old school works good enough for me, I've had enough "change" to last for generations to come.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tomf</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Maybe this should be on the Red Jacket thread. I'm sure they wil come up with a "game changer"! LOL </div></div>

You just made my day, LMAO

Holy shit, I bet the Iraqi's were glad it was just an obsolete B-52 hammering the fuck out of them instead of the modern B-1.

I think we've reached the pinnacle of semi auto design and are now limited by the ammunition we use. If someone were to come up with some radical new ammunition that was 3 times smaller, 4 times faster and shot projectiles 5 times heavier than what we currently have then new, revolutionary firearms could be created. But until John Moses Browning is reincarnated we are forced to tweak and tune what we know works.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: W54/XM-388</div><div class="ubbcode-body">1911 pistols, over 100 years later.... </div></div>Perfect response, and one with no counterpoint possible.

Would we be having this discussion if not for John Browning??? There are major (and minor) firearm companies that would have never existed if not for John Browning.

We are also still using Bolt actions which are from the 1880s. If it works, refine it until something better comes along. Newer does not automaticly mean better.

i think the reason why is I can put 30 rounds down range as accurate as most bolt guns and don't have to reload 6 or 7 times
grin.gif