• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Why aren't the Fury 5000 binos more popular?

All of my eye cups are screwed all the way in, except the Minox that have more eye relief.

The Swarovski EL has fantastic eye relief for an eye glass wearer. I do not have a pair anymore, but I am hoping to handle a pair of EL 10x50's. My last pair was a 8x42's and I owned them in 2005, so the newest ones are quite different. I ended up needing cash and shifted them for $1200 in 2010, which is what I paid for them. The newest ones are quite an upgrade.

One thing to note is that the 8 powered binoculars give more eye relief in the same objective lens. My 8x42 Vortex Talons have much better (but nowhere near perfect) eye relief than the same 10x42 Talons.

All of my eye cups are screwed all the way in, except the Minox that have more eye relief.

The Swarovski EL has fantastic eye relief for an eye glass wearer. I do not have a pair anymore, but I am hoping to handle a pair of EL 10x50's. My last pair was a 8x42's and I owned them in 2005, so the newest ones are quite different. I ended up needing cash and shifted them for $1200 in 2010, which is what I paid for them. The newest ones are quite an upgrade.

One thing to note is that the 8 powered binoculars give more eye relief in the same objective lens. My 8x42 Vortex Talons have much better (but nowhere near perfect) eye relief than the same 10x42 Talons.
I have been editing like mad on my last post. You might want to take a look again.

HD TV yes, BUT the only ones that do that for me are the Swarovski EL 8x42. The Leica is a 99% solution, but there is a discernable difference. I have yet to try the Swarovski EL 10x50. I am hopeful they will give me what I want. 8x56 binoculars from most makers are also HD. My minox are 85% HD. I have owned a pair of Nikon 8x56 Monarchs and they are HD.

Leica has several lines and so does Ziess, but I have not played with all of them. The 8x56 Geovid is perfect, the 8x42 Geovid is 98-99%. The rest of the Leica family not so much, not enough eye relief. Ziess has similar problems, but there are more good Ziess than bad.

Vortex is almost unusable in all current production models. Which is pretty sad, as the warranty is worth it's weight in gold.

The rest of them have dark circles. People that work in the optics sales or production have a name for that, but I can't remember what it is.

I have heard that Meopta makes a 8x56, I would be they are really good.

Reactions: CIB2007 and DrewC
Ok, I think we are talking about two different things. Me: black wandering crescents. You: don’t like those black circles that evenly ring one’s view, you want to be “up close and personal first-row theater.”

By Big Wide HD I wasn’t referring to the image quality, but rather the effect of sitting in a movie theater’s front row. By adjusting the eyecups on the Furys one click out, the view is more like sitting 2/3 of the way back in the theater (you no likey). But I get my perfect view with no irritating black crescents, only I’m not “sitting in the picture”.

So you are looking for perfection. A perfect image, a perfect no-black outline view, the type a non-eyeglass wearer has. Yes, that will not happen with the Fury, which is only a $500 bino with a $500 LRF in it.

You are a Swaro man, for sure. Nothing wrong with that. My dad has a pair of the prev gen ELs, which are nice. But for me, Swaros (even current gen) are not that much different than the Furys (note: I do NOT use binos at dawn/sunset, not a birder, I shoot 500-600 yds max at prairie dogs). Certainly not $2000+ better. For me.

It’s good for other readers to realize where you (and I) are coming from so they can make informed decisions.

I once was a pro photographer, so I have high optical standards, but yours are higher.

However, for scopes, I am way more picky than I am about binos. I prize eyebox above almost everything else as I spend WAY more time looking through a scope than I do through LRF binos. But that’s a different discussion.

Last edited:
So I don't have a ton of scopes, right now I have a few.. A cheap Bushnell Legend 2.5-10x50, a non-tactical Weaver 3-15x56, a Leupold VXIII 8-25x50, and a Meopta 6-24x56 ZD all of which are 30mm. And a couple 1 inch scopes 3-9, and a Leupold Vari X 3.5-10.

The Meopta is perfect, perfect image, the eyebox isn't fussy, the only thing I don't like about it is that it is 2nd focal, and has a MIL reticle with MOA turrets, and no zero stop. The ZD's were $2000 when they first came out in America. I don't even know what they go for now. I bought mine in Germany for 1000 Euros.

The Weaver has the 2nd best optical quality, isn't fussy in the eye box but it has a clunky turret.

The VXIII should be better, but the eye box is very fussy, and while the turrets have a zero stop, and it is 1st focal optically it is outclassed by the other two.

My next scope is going to be a Nightforce ATACR probably the 4-16x50 F1 or 5-25x56 F1, if I can find one that I like the turret of. I am also thinking about the Leupold Mark 6 or Mark 8 in the 5-25x56. I don't care for how fat and clunky the 3-18 Mark 6 and Mark 8 are for such little magnification. I would really like to try the THLR reticle version of the Minox 5-25x56, but have never even seen one.

Kind of tapped out around $2000 on a scope. If I could find a demo 5-25 or 4-16 Schmidt or Kahles I'd love to try that. I am retired military so there are a lot of purchase programs, so my $2000 buys a lot of scope.

Image quality is the most important, followed by having a clean and non-fussy eyebox and good clicks that are accurate. A zero stop is really nice. Focal plane doesn't matter that much because I am a hunter, and not really into PRS. I prefer first, but if I can get a deal on a 2nd and everything else i there I'd rather have a image and a usable eye box. I don't really use the reticle for ranging or anything else.

Yes a $500 pair of binos with a $500 rangefinder in it doesn't leave a lot left on the table.

I am probably going to put all my binos on ebay or the hide this summer and concentrate on finding a pair of Swarovskis or Ziess that fit the bill. Would be worth it to me to upgrade.

Reactions: carbonbased
They used to have another Fury so Euro might have added the Gen II so people would know which one it is but Vortex does not label them Gen II and the new one is the only one labeled 5000.

EuroOptic has demos on sale , I just picked one up to try.

Received the "Demo" yesterday with the security seal still intact, all components including battery still wrapped up, thanks EuroOptic! Just playing with it at home I like it so far, hopefully take it into the woods this weekend to test it properly.

So know this is an older thread but wanted to clear some stuff up for ya, they are the same glass as the vipers, still really clear at distance. I've pushed them out to 1300 yds due to environmental constraints living in louisiana and not having a lot of clearing for viewing. The other obvious fact you can't beat the warranty. They have a strong read out and faster than normal. I think the big reason we don't see more is that they came out after the sig sauer kilo which had the ballistics in them and listed for the same price. Obvious that's the way the market is going to people aren't really putting too much stock in a standard unit when they could get the ballistics at the same price roughly.

In my experience the Kilo3000 outranges the Vortex offering. It also has a myriad of features the Fury’s do not have. I know at least one guy who returned his to brownells to get the Sig.

So know this is an older thread but wanted to clear some stuff up for ya, they are the same glass as the vipers, still really clear at distance. I've pushed them out to 1300 yds due to environmental constraints living in louisiana and not having a lot of clearing for viewing. The other obvious fact you can't beat the warranty. They have a strong read out and faster than normal. I think the big reason we don't see more is that they came out after the sig sauer kilo which had the ballistics in them and listed for the same price. Obvious that's the way the market is going to people aren't really putting too much stock in a standard unit when they could get the ballistics at the same price roughly.

I ended up buying the razor hd 4000 from you guys. Decided I didn't need the bino feature yet and if I do want bino/lrf I'll probably save up for the Zeiss RF.

Does anyone know when Vortex will put a better LRF in HD binos?

Not only a better laser, but faster with a tight beam divergence, and bluetooth that connects to software. I know the vortex is a little slower at finding range than the sig, so something more comparable in those aspects.

1921 isnt too shabby, how far have you ranged animals?

Reactions: 96C
Not only a better laser, but faster with a tight beam divergence, and bluetooth that connects to software. I know the vortex is a little slower at finding range than the sig, so something more comparable in those aspects.

1921 isnt too shabby, how far have you ranged animals?

DEFINITELY they will have to keep up with the market like you said, bluetooth will become a deciding feature shortly probably with most other companies offering something.

Animals, around 1 kilometre isn't abnormal. To be honest most of the shooting I've done with these has been targets (haven't had time to hunt for a while) but if you can't last exactly what you're looking at, it'll pick up a rock / bush / tree / stump etc. near by.

Overall, I'm very happy with the Fury 5000's. It would be nice to have bluetooth, I use the Leica 2800.com as a standalone LRF that talks to the Kestrel but even those have compatibility issues, it constantly drops comms and you have to re-connect everything (from my experience anyway).

side by side i found the sig kilo3000 to be sharper and brighter the lrf seem to be just about equal the bt link is a plus if your going to use it. the vortex warranty is superior so long as they dont go changing it in the future. i dont own the furys but have had access to them in the field i chose to buy the kilo 3000 for my self and dont regret it one bit

side by side i found the sig kilo3000 to be sharper and brighter the lrf seem to be just about equal the bt link is a plus if your going to use it. the vortex warranty is superior so long as they dont go changing it in the future. i dont own the furys but have had access to them in the field i chose to buy the kilo 3000 for my self and dont regret it one bit

To my eye the fury's glass is slightly better. Probably splitting hairs though.

Reactions: sleeplz
Depends on the size and reflectivity. I ranged a semi trailer at a little under 5000 yards. 6x6 white steel plate at 1800 was not an issue.

Depends on the size and reflectivity. I ranged a semi trailer at a little under 5000 yards. 6x6 white steel plate at 1800 was not an issue.
What kinda of ranges can you get with ground a tree hits?
My targets are 24”x24”and I’d like to get out to 2500-2700

I don't generally shoot at trees or the ground but will check next time I'm out.

Reactions: Steel head
As I said earlier in the thread friends I know and trust were hitting rocks at 3300 yards so I don't think that steel will be an issue.

Reactions: Steel head
How is the glass on these compared to the geovid HD-B? I picked up my 2200s for about the same price as the fury’s and they have weather and ballistic software built in. The HD-R model without those features was actually cheaper than the furys. I’ll be honest I never looked at the fury’s since they were close to same price as Leicas.

The Leica glass is a little better, but not a whole lot. The price difference would probably be worth it if you're glassing animals all day. I've spend half days behind fury with no eye fatigue. All around I prefer the fury to the Leica and kilo.

Lacking the ability to link with Kestrel might be it's downfall, I've had them side by side. Optically they're equal but Sig just has more for the money. AB lite and ability to link with Kestrel/Garmin is a no brainer for me. If I were to choose and recommend one it'll be Sig all day.

Only for people who care about connecting to a kestrel. I don’t. I don’t have a ballistic kestrel and never have had one. Don’t want one.

Reactions: Geno C.
Only for people who care about connecting to a kestrel. I don’t. I don’t have a ballistic kestrel and never have had one. Don’t want one.
Completely understandable if you don’t have a need for that feature, but comparing the fury hd and sig side by side, what does the Fury offer or do that the Sig won’t?

Completely understandable if you don’t have a need for that feature, but comparing the fury hd and sig side by side, what does the Fury offer or do that the Sig won’t?

That's up to the end user who is paying the money to compare each and buy what they want.

The Fury offers the better warranty. Vortex will fix/replace no questions asked. Sig's will only warranty the electronics for a limited time...I think 5 years.

I chose the Fury because I tend to let everyone use my binos. Frankly, I would have wanted the Kestrel connectivity of the Sig, but felt I needed the protection of the warranty. I run an NRL22 club and shoot 3 -Gun. To me, part of learning to shoot, learning to participate in matches is to also learn to RO and spot. If I was the only one touching my gear...I would have made other choices.

Reactions: jafo96
The vortex warranty is worth more to me than features I don't need. Unfortunately every manufacturer puts out lemons and/or accidents happen. I just don't want to have to keep sending them in for "bugs" and issues. Personally Sig isn't a name I would trust in any area related to shooting.

Just add something about warranty. I had my 3000BDXs attached to my tripod knocked over during a windy day. Broke the internal focusing mechism, 100% my fault.

Sig replaced them no questioned asked and even paid for shipping both way. Vortex’s warranty is great but isn’t a selling point anymore a lot of companies now do the same.

Just add something about warranty. I had my 3000BDXs attached to my tripod knocked over during a windy day. Broke the internal focusing mechism, 100% my fault.

Sig replaced them no questioned asked and even paid for shipping both way. Vortex’s warranty is great but isn’t a selling point anymore a lot of companies now do the same.

The way I interpret the SIG Warranty, it isn't like or as customer centric as VORTEX.

From SIG:
Please note that our Infinite Guarantee excludes coverage for intentional damage, misuse, cosmetic damage that does not affect the performance of the optic, loss, theft, or unauthorized repair or modification. Excludes electronic and Tritium components.

Also from SIG:
Electric Component Limited 5-Year Warranty

From VORTEX:
VIP stands for a Very Important Promise to you, our customer. We will repair or replace your Vortex® product in the event it becomes damaged or defective—at no charge to you. If we cannot repair your product, we will replace it with a product in perfect working order of equal or better physical condition.

You see, it doesn't matter how it happened, whose fault it was or where you purchased it. If you ever have a problem, no matter the cause, we promise to take care of you. You can count on the VIP Warranty for all Vortex Optics riflescopes, prism scopes, red dots, rangefinders, binoculars, spotting scopes, tripods and monoculars.

The way I interpret the SIG Warranty, it isn't like or as customer centric as VORTEX.

From SIG:
Please note that our Infinite Guarantee excludes coverage for intentional damage, misuse, cosmetic damage that does not affect the performance of the optic, loss, theft, or unauthorized repair or modification. Excludes electronic and Tritium components.

Also from SIG:
Electric Component Limited 5-Year Warranty

From VORTEX:
VIP stands for a Very Important Promise to you, our customer. We will repair or replace your Vortex® product in the event it becomes damaged or defective—at no charge to you. If we cannot repair your product, we will replace it with a product in perfect working order of equal or better physical condition.

You see, it doesn't matter how it happened, whose fault it was or where you purchased it. If you ever have a problem, no matter the cause, we promise to take care of you. You can count on the VIP Warranty for all Vortex Optics riflescopes, prism scopes, red dots, rangefinders, binoculars, spotting scopes, tripods and monoculars.

Yet I told SIG it was my fault they fell over, and they replaced it for free. So YMMV.

I have no doubt the vortex warranty is great, they've replaced all of the scopes I have that broke in the field that ruined a couple of range trips so I could sell them and buy other scopes.
And SIG has put out some lemons which is where the "hate" seems to stem from.

But the OP asked why aren't the furys more common, and I think that has been beaten to death. The features to a lot of shooters greatly out weight any downside. I just came back from the SHC and having the link to a 701 providing us instant firing solutions was invaluable.

If I’m ever considering buying a product cause of the warranty then I most likely won’t even buy that product. Just my opinion, warranty is great but I’m not buying a product to use the warranty, valid point but not selling point.

Reactions: Mk32784
You are assuming the warranty would be good to have due to mechanical issues. Not so much that as the accidental damage. It’s good to have that insurance on expensive items.

Reactions: DMP and Steel head
I looked through both at a match recently. To me, the sigs have a blue tint that the vortex's don't.

I looked through both at a match recently. To me, the sigs have a blue tint that the vortex's don't.

I believe the blue tint is to balance the glare output from the ranging display. Definitely not super noticeable, I never even noticed it until I read about it on forums and tried looking through one side then the other. The Fury's on the other hand have a slight green tint.