• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Why Ballistic Calibration Should Only Be Performed In the Field

DocUSMCRetired

Applied Ballistics
Minuteman
Apr 16, 2014
Texas
www.appliedballisticsllc.com
Why Ballistic Calibration Should Only Be Performed In the Field:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/sMNcolFdfP0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Video: https://youtu.be/sMNcolFdfP0

The Applied Ballistics Engine is advanced enough that it takes in to account the target information and environmentals at the time you perform a Muzzle Velocity or Ballistic Calibration. Due to the engine reading the environmentals and target data when doing a calibration it is advised that you ONLY do a calibration in the field. There are more advanced ways to perform these tasks w...hen not in the field which we go over at the seminar, however, for the general user we advise only performing these when shooting. Here are some things to consider when performing a calibration:

1) Atmospherics at the time of the calibration - You can see in the video demonstration below what I mean by this. I calibrate two scenarios to the same distance, however each has a different atmospheric condition and target direction. You can see the calibration is different in each case. This calibration does include even minor effects like Aerodynamic Jump, so make sure you account for the wind accurately. Atmospherics play an important role in doing a proper ballistic calibration.

2) Target Direction & Latitude - The AB Engine takes in to account both of these factors. Which means that with some products (Like the Sig Kilo 2400 & Kestrels) You need to have captured the target direction, and input the correct latitude. The Vertical Coriolis among other factors is automatically taken in to account when doing a calibration. Which means, if you do the calibration and don't take these factors seriously, then you have input a secondary effect in to the calibration wrong, leading to a permanent error in the firing solution from that point on.

3) SD of your shot group - This one is rather important. You must have a meaningful shot group to do a ballistic calibration. 5 shot minimum, 10 shot recommended. You can test how this matters by simply taking the highest shot out of your group then do a ballistic calibration with it, and the lowest shot in your shot group and do a ballistic calibration with it. Then look at the spread in the data. I demonstrate this in the video below.

This means that it is important when doing a ballistic calibration, that you perform this task in the field with the device (and not at home from log books), or you document every variable in the data you collect when shooting.

If you want to learn more, in full detail this is only part of what we teach at the seminars: Applied Ballistics Seminar - 2017 - Applied Ballistics LLC

Hey Doc, thanks for posting this. I'm just getting my Kestrel 5700 Elite Link set up with my new rifle, and I'm sure I'm making some mistakes, but posts like this sure do help.

Couple of questions:

1. What is the actual process of ballistic calibration? By that, are you talking about truing velocity, truing BC, or just simply setting up a new rifle profile? I did some searching, but didn't find exactly what I was looking for. Is this something that applies to the Kestrel AB, or only to AB software?

2. My first time out, I had a rifle profile that I created at the house. I went out for load development last weekend, and the Labradar gave me an average velocity of 2686, and I was using a custom curve for the drag model. I had a solid zero at 100yd, but my 300yd solution from the Kestrel was off by over a mil. I'm sure it's because I am entering something in wrong, but trying to narrow it down. Could this be my problem?

Hey Doc, thanks for posting this. I'm just getting my Kestrel 5700 Elite Link set up with my new rifle, and I'm sure I'm making some mistakes, but posts like this sure do help.

Couple of questions:

1. What is the actual process of ballistic calibration? By that, are you talking about truing velocity, truing BC, or just simply setting up a new rifle profile? I did some searching, but didn't find exactly what I was looking for. Is this something that applies to the Kestrel AB, or only to AB software?

2. My first time out, I had a rifle profile that I created at the house. I went out for load development last weekend, and the Labradar gave me an average velocity of 2686, and I was using a custom curve for the drag model. I had a solid zero at 100yd, but my 300yd solution from the Kestrel was off by over a mil. I'm sure it's because I am entering something in wrong, but trying to narrow it down. Could this be my problem?

Here is ballistic calibration: http://www.appliedballisticsllc.com/Articles/BallisticCalibration.pdf

I would say double check all the inputs you used for the profile: http://appliedballisticsllc.com/support/online-user-guides/kestrel-link-ballistics-online-guide/

Doc, is there an updated YouTube video on this?! The video above is unavailable and based on your text this sounds like exactly what I'm after to see visually

Savage LRP 6.5 Creedmore Hornady 143gr Hornady ELDX.

This is what my solver shows me as a truing screen. Are these ranges correct? 1900+ yds seems a bit far to true my 6.5? I was off 3.5" at 400yds & im sure I could not even hit a 4x8 peice of plywood at thoes ranges.

Attachments

• photo68960.png
    photo68960.png
    99.3 KB · Views: 38
Savage LRP 6.5 Creedmore Hornady 143gr Hornady ELDX.

This is what my solver shows me as a truing screen. Are these ranges correct? 1900+ yds seems a bit far to true my 6.5? I was off 3.5" at 400yds & im sure I could not even hit a 4x8 peice of plywood at thoes ranges.

They are based on error probability. You can only get so accurate using a rifle and shooting at long range. Even if you shoot a 1/2 MOA group at 800 yards, you will still not be able to refine to less than 20 or so FPS.

Hey Doc Question along those lines. Does the AB SIG app also take all the secondary factors into account when calibrating? So if I did one range 2 weeks ago, and another range last week, and another this week does it store all the secondary factors in the background somewhere, or does it expect me to fire all the ranges on the same day in the same atmospherics?

Hey Doc Question along those lines. Does the AB SIG app also take all the secondary factors into account when calibrating? So if I did one range 2 weeks ago, and another range last week, and another this week does it store all the secondary factors in the background somewhere, or does it expect me to fire all the ranges on the same day in the same atmospherics?

You will need to either overwrite ALL the information with the data from that day. Or you need to have it aimed at the target. So it can see direction, inclination, and read the atmospherics.

Ok thanks. So in other words I'll need to do it all at once.
I can't change many of the inputs on the AB/SIG app since the numbers pad covers the inputs when I try to change them.

I have tried. But the cursor always appears at the front of the number & won't backspace to erase it. If I push a number in there it adds it to the front. So the temp etc has a 3 digit number instead of the 2 digit I need.

I have tried. But the cursor always appears at the front of the number & won't backspace to erase it. If I push a number in there it adds it to the front. So the temp etc has a 3 digit number instead of the 2 digit I need.

Can you email me more information on the device? I tried to re-create this but it performed correctly on my device. When you email me please provide the model number of your phone, and operating system version: [email protected]