• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Why bolt???

Hmmm... I think I saw Leupold on a list of scopes recommended by someone. But agreed - this conversation is not about scopes. What I got for myself here is that different people like different things and the most important thing is to go for something that you personally like and that will function without problems. I will probably take my chances with TIKKA T3X TAC 1M when prices stabilize and then keep thinking about AR10. God bless you, including those peple who are rude on the internet. They probably are that way because their mama was not giving them enough chocolate when they were little boys.

Hi,

What??? Literally ZERO mentions in this thread of Leupold that I can find, lol.....
Are you making things up to get more cliche as you go?

Sincerely,
Theis

You’re slipping!!

@168BTHPM mentioned Leupold After dude said it had to be german glass.

Pretty sure my Vortex and NF stuff are Japanese glass. Guess I will toss em and buy german stuff.

The tikka is a great gun. I have one even had a new barrel put on it. Gas guns can be accurate but finding one as accurate as the tikka at the same price would be difficult. 1 MOA at 1000 yards is a approximately a 10" circle in perfect conditions. My tikka shot 1/2 moa out of the box with factory ammo. Shooting past 700-800 yards is a little more difficult not that the 6.5 isn't fully capable but you want every bit of accuracy you can get out to further distances. Shooting any rifle at distance is a skill set developed by the shooter.

1MOA is good to me,,,, Goal - shooting at 500-100 yards. Targets, not hunting, windy conditions sometimes. Definitely 6.5 creedmoor. Faster follow up shots are a strong advantage of semi IMHO. For shorter distances I have my Springfield M1A with glass bedding and 3 AR15s. I don't really want to spend more than $1500. I don't find classic Remington rifles sexy enough, even though they may be functionally good.
>says autos are just as accurate

>says 1moa acceptable

Do you even shoot bruh???????

Bolt is the clear winner.
usain-bolt.gif

Watch the replay...

To be fair, from my limited experience Japanese glass is as good as German. I have a Japanese Gen 1 scope on my Springfield M1A that I bought in 1999 and I love it.

Seekins SP10 looks nice and its not that expensive. Now listed at $2100. I wander what was the price before the COVID 19.
The same, one of the reasons I have seekins AR's, when things got scarce during the previous Admin they didn't change their prices.

It can be harder to get a 6.5 or .308 AR platform to run reliably than the 5.56 versions.

Easier for the majority of shooters to make hits with a bolt gun over a gas gun. Running a bolt really isn't that much slower to be honest with just a bit of practice.

Easier to find a more accurate bolt gun over a gas gun.

Cheaper overall for the platform

Seekins SP10 looks nice and its not that expensive. Now listed at $2100. I wander what was the price before the COVID 19.
They are sweet, but the original post was saying a $500 dollar PSA can shoot with a Tikka T3X TAC A1. Now I certainly don’t have any against PSA they do offer some quality affordable firearms and components, however the Tikka in my opinion is one the finest production rifles on the market with prices ranging from $1500-$1900 . I had a $1500 Rock River LR .308 that shot wonderful but it cannot compare to my Tikka, it is crazy accurate. I have a custom built 700 Remington chambered in 22-6 mm Ackley improved that I spent nearly $3k on and it shoots right with it

My GAP-10 chambered in 6.5CR with a Bartlein barrel is plenty accurate past 1k yards, but if you're shooting suppressed, I think you're going to prefer a bolt gun.

I was seriously considering a TIKKA T3X TAC A1 6.5 CREEDMOOR rifle but then discovered that semi-autos as just as accurate and actually cost much less. Can anyone please give me a reason why is TIKKA better for 1000 yards than some PSA AR10 with a long barrel?

The real difference is tolerances. Quality bolt guns are inherantly tighter in all respects. I build both AR's and bilt guns? Yes you can get a "match grade" AR, but they tend to be more expensive than the Tikka. If this were not the case, there would be many mor AR'S USED PROFESSIONALY than bolt guns. First decide what's more important to you, accuract, price, convienance, looks or a combination of all of these. I have NEVER been outshot with an AR. Arguments to this post are welcome!

For me all those characteristics are important and it may be difficult to fit then into 1 piece of equipment and still not to pay more
If I have 20 pistols its not inconceivable to have at least 2 sniper rifles for different purposes. Too bad nobody makes ARs in Royal Blue finish. Then I would want one more with the only purpose of looking at it occasionally in my gun safe.

Everything Knight looks perfect but it's for wealthy knights only. I could only buy a Knight trigger guard :)

$2000 is the max i am willing to pay for the pleasure because after I add the new Colt Python and couple of other things on my list, my wife will ask for another diamond (which is C - carbon). If you are willing to pay for overpriced items like Knight products or Ferrari, I can understand it. They probably matter to you a lot. I am always after the best value. So mazda - yes, mazerati - no. I have to admit though that if I were looking for perfection in how a firearm is made, Knigh Armament would be at the top of my list.

$2000 is the max i am willing to pay for the pleasure because after I add the new Colt Python and couple of other things on my list, my wife will ask for another diamond (which is C - carbon). If you are willing to pay for overpriced items like Knight products or Ferrari, I can understand it. They probably matter to you a lot. I am always after the best value. So mazda - yes, mazerati - no. I have to admit though that if I were looking for perfection in how a firearm is made, Knigh Armament would be at the top of my list.
you should spend money on your wife when needed, but not by buying worthless diamonds.
diamonds have very little value, except as cutting tools.

Reactions: 308pirate
I moved away from semi-auto gas guns to bolt-action because it's just more fun. It's way more fun to drive a stick shift than an auto. More challenging in some ways. And just a more visceral and enjoyable experience for me. I've also never shot a semi-auto that was as accurate as my bolt guns. 1 MOA groups aren't impressive to me. My expensive custom rifles can shoot in the teens. And I can hit 1 MOA targets on the first shot out to 1,000 yards so easily it's boring at this point. I don't know much about Tikka though. Here's what I would recommend:

Save up some more money and just get a nice custom action that accepts pre-fit barrels. Lone Peak Arms Fuzion, Impact Precision 7373R, etc. Then just drop the barreled action into whatever chassis or stock of your choice and call it a day. I wouldn't even bother with off-the-shelf rifles these days. Just make sure to budget for good glass. If you want "acceptable" on a budget, then go with a used Ruger Precision Rifle.

Reactions: Wheres-Waldo
I already bought a Scholt glass. What calibers are you shooting through your super accurate custom rifles?

Shoot? No. After I moved to N Virginia a year ago I am still trying to find a place where I can legally shoot at 800-1000 yards. Shooting ranges here are not that big.

Shoot? No. After I moved to N Virginia a year ago I am still trying to find a place where I can legally shoot at 800-1000 yards. Shooting ranges here are not that big.

at 1000m time of flight is ± 1.5 seconds so you're not gonna double tap your target with a semi-auto, since you'd be giving up the spotting correction ... from a tactical perspective that's dumb.

Listen to this guy....He talks about bolt vs semi-auto at 10:10 in liked video.

(IIRC this is a guy who helped spec out the ASR sniper system....for SOCOM)

Last edited:
Reactions: JakeM and theLBC
lol. new colt isn't worth buying, unless there is a new python 2.0.

anyway, perhaps better than buying worthless diamonds for the wife.

One major difference—> lock time

lock time on bolt is like 6-10 times shorter on bolt then semi

at 1000m time of flight is ± 1.5 seconds so you're not gonna double tap your target with a semi-auto, since you'd be giving up the spotting correction ... from a tactical perspective that's dumb.

Listen to this guy....He talks about bolt vs semi-auto at 10:10 in liked video.
(IIRC this is a guy who helped spec out the ASR sniper system....for SOCOM)
+1
for a one shot one kill (2 shots if needed) honest to god sniper, the gas gun might not have any advantage that outweighs "potential" disadvantages.

for a hobbyist, survivalist or somebody just exercising his 2A rights, being able to practically mag dump on a target hundreds of yards away is very satisfying.
in a sniper support role, or providing cover or suppressive fire in specific areas, doorways or bridges, it is pretty hard to beat with a bolt gun.

I meant to type Scholt, of course. That shot of peaty scotch was yesterday. Where do you people find places to schoot? The longest range I was able to shoot at was Laguna Seca in CA and that was still well below 1000 yards. Do national parks let people practice their long distance shooting?

theLBC... I hope the new Colt Python 2.0 will be the Royal Blue finish version but I will only buy it if the price is reasonable. This will be a safe queen, of course. My 686 S&W is what I shoot.

Colt Python in Royal Blue would be a safe queen. S&W in 357 Magnum is really fun to shoot but rifles are more fun. I don't think there will be much shooting till ammo prices go down.

If this is for real and not a troll, frontlinedefenseusa.com in Northern NC has a 1000y range for members. It's probably a number of hours from where you are but is what it is.

I meant to type Scholt, of course. That shot of peaty scotch was yesterday. Where do you people find places to schoot? The longest range I was able to shoot at was Laguna Seca in CA and that was still well below 1000 yards. Do national parks let people practice their long distance shooting?

There's a couple places over the hill to the east. :D

If this is for real and not a troll, frontlinedefenseusa.com in Northern NC has a 1000y range for members. It's probably a number of hours from where you are but is what it is.
Thanks. That may be too far. I am right next to DC.

I've got a Tikka T3x TAC A1 in 6.5 Creedmoor, a 6.5-CM barrel for my Barrett MRAD, and a LWRCI REPR MKII Elite (AR-10 form-factor) also in 6.5-CM. So that's one for around $1,200 (the Tikka), and two rifles over $4,500 each (MRAD and LWRCI). Frankly, I shoot the tightest groups with the Tikka. It's amazing out to 1,400 yards. Not sure how it would compare to a "bargain basement" AR-10 ... but I think the Tikka is a terrific price-performer. IMHO
You have a really serious collection of rifles. Would you agree that if I want to go for the best craftsmanship and good accuracy under $2,500 the best option would be Daniel Defense?

Friend even if you make mischief in trousers, it is not interestingly me.

@fdkay

Last edited:
You talk more than shoot. If you find a national pork to shoot a 1000 yds send your cloverleaf at that distance with your cheap ass rig.

Going to suggest you read more than you post, as of your current 10 posts, I haven’t read a good one yet.

Reactions: Baron23
I already bought a Scholt glass.
A WHAT!!??

I'm kind of new around here myself but I do know that a brand of German glass is Schott....not Scholt.

And a shot as in what we do at the range or a glass we drink whiskey from is...well, a shot.

WTF is a Scholt?

OK.... It is Scholt.... I forgot the exact name. It is still in a box and the actual brand is Tract Toric. It's made in Japan but the glass is Scholt. 3-15x50 for $700 looks like a good deal to me. I also got $100 off. Can give you a sales code to get $100 back if you need it.

• Haha
Reactions: 308pirate