• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Why bolt???

OK.... It is Scholt.... I forgot the exact name. It is still in a box and the actual brand is Tract Toric. It's made in Japan but the glass is Scholt. 3-15x50 for $700 looks like a good deal to me. I also got $100 off. Can give you a sales code to get $100 back if you need it.
SCHOTT.....NOT......SCHOLT.

• Haha
Reactions: jtackmann
I was seriously considering a TIKKA T3X TAC A1 6.5 CREEDMOOR rifle but then discovered that semi-autos as just as accurate and actually cost much less. Can anyone please give me a reason why is TIKKA better for 1000 yards than some PSA AR10 with a long barrel?

If you want an accurate AR I'd suggest taking to white oak armory.

They have 1 big thing going for them. When my dad pulls the trigger and hears "impact", he can then dump the next few rounds before the wind changes.

For what it's worth, his 6mm Hagar has gathered dust while he shoots his bolt guns. He got tired of chasing brass and carrying a 15lb AR.

I was seriously considering a TIKKA T3X TAC A1 6.5 CREEDMOOR rifle but then discovered that semi-autos as just as accurate and actually cost much less. Can anyone please give me a reason why is TIKKA better for 1000 yards than some PSA AR10 with a long barrel?

This is not necessarily true. First, I cannot believe that a PSA is going to perform up to the same standard as a Tikka T3, but let's assume that it does. Driving a gas gun for precision is not as easy as driving a bolt gun for precision. You have to have consistent cheek weld, trigger control, and loading (whether on a bipod or a barricade) on the rifle from shot to shot. The purpose to have to maintain those fundamentals is due to the lock time on the gas gun being much longer than on the bolt. Additionally, you have to maintain those same fundamentals due to the dwell time that occurs with gas guns. On a bolt gun, this is not the case, the lock time is much faster and dwell time is non-existent which allows the bolt to be much more forgiving in that regard.

Think about this: you can lock a bolt gun into an ARCA clamp, get on target (assuming all data is correct), send a round and impact that target without even looking through the scope. If I remember correctly, Lowlight has performed this shot several times. Now, replace that bolt gun with a gas gun. Does that impact still happen? It might at shorter distances, but I don't think it does at further distances. That's actually something that needs to be tried now that I'm typing about it!

Last edited:
This thread
001E2EA4-8E27-4A65-BBE2-C2B35AE96BE1.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Fig
This is not necessarily true. First, I cannot believe that a PSA is not going to perform up to the same standard as a Tikka T3, but let's assume that it does. Driving a gas gun for precision is not as easy as driving a bolt gun for precision. You have to have consistent cheek weld, trigger control, and loading (whether on a bipod or a barricade) on the rifle from shot to shot. The purpose to have to maintain those fundamentals is due to the lock time on the gas gun being much longer than on the bolt. Additionally, you have to maintain those same fundamentals due to the dwell time that occurs with gas guns. On a bolt gun, this is not the case, the lock time is much faster and dwell time is non-existent which allows the bolt to be much more forgiving in that regard.

Think about this: you can lock a bolt gun into an ARCA clamp, get on target (assuming all data is correct), send a round and impact that target without even looking through the scope. If I remember correctly, Lowlight has performed this shot several times. Now, replace that bolt gun with a gas gun. Does that impact still happen? It might at shorter distances, but I don't think it does at further distances. That's actually something that needs to be tried now that I'm typing about it!
PSA AR10 has a reputation of being a 2 MOA gun from what I see in the targets photo on the internet. That's in the market where tighter groups may the sigle most important selling point to convince peple to spend couple of grants more. I should be happy with 1 MOA S&W M&P because it will still shoot better than I can but I admit that I am falling under the same marketing spell and actually want to get a sub MOA Daniel Defense which to me is quite comparable in quality and looks to S&W being 2000 dollars more. As to bolt vs AR discussion, you are welcome to continue but for myself it is now evident that it's better to have both bolt action and AR10.

Going to suggest you read more than you post, as of your current 10 posts, I haven’t read a good one yet.

Woooooow... Staff Member/moderator belittling a new member who is doing nothing more than trying to gain knowledge. That's not even constructive criticism It's just being a dick, who cares whether or not you think his posts are good.

To the OP, honestly it is just much more difficult to be precise and accurate with the semi-auto, I have been shooting long range precision with Semi-autos since I was 16 my first rifle was a M1 Garand given to me by my grandfather on my 16th birthday, and I still have a lot of WTF days. The Tikka will serve you well and if you are interested in getting into Precision shooting with a semi-auto save a little more and buy both and then decide for yourself which is more fulfilling for you.

OK.... TIKKA bolt action will cover long range. AR15s will cover nicely the short range. Is there any rational reason to have an AR10 then?

Woooooow... Staff Member/moderator belittling a new member who is doing nothing more than trying to gain knowledge. That's not even constructive criticism It's just being a dick, who cares whether or not you think his posts are good.

Yes. The Big Brother is watching.

I am American as an apple pie. If I dont have any reason to own my 20 handguns, I dont have a particular reason to own an AR10. I am just trying to rationally justfy my natural impulses to put yet another gun in my safe. I did run out of space once and had to buy another safe. What will I do when I run out of space in my house to put more safes? Probably that never happens - I have a big house.

You may want to read about Mr AKM a bit further before YOU go casting dispersion on staff.
Its real easy to see what and where he has posted.
He has posted NOTHING of substance, merely mindless and often circular drivel.
He is giving the advice mongers a reason to live, and the bullshit detectors a lackluster 5 minutes of entertainment.
If i were you I'd post up a list, complete with pictures of all your weapons. If you really want to help him out.
He is...after all....i amerika as apple pie.....i Amerika as apple pie

I am American as an apple pie. If I dont have any reason to own my 20 handguns, I dont have a particular reason to own an AR10. I am just trying to rationally justfy my natural impulses to put yet another gun in my safe. I did run out of space once and had to buy another safe. What will I do when I run out of space in my house to put more safes? Probably that never happens - I have a big house.
You may want to read about Mr AKM a bit further before YOU go casting dispersion on staff.
He is giving the advice mongers a reason to live, and the bullshit detectors a lackluster 5 minutes of entertainment.
If i were you I'd post up a list, complete with pictures of all your weapons. If you really want to help him out.
Except that apple pie is English.

Reactions: armorpl8chikn
Except that apple pie is English.
We customized the apple pie and actually English language so it's American now, as far as I am concerned. All this is debatable, of course. Most people dont know that pizza, for example, was invented in Korea.

Dthomas didn't say that to akm. He said it to im55in012. Agreed that lots of people need to read more than post. This thread doesn't seem too bad. Now if it was the 30th thread asking the same question different story.

Reactions: SDBguy95
england is barely english anymore, and won't be for long.
Whenever I go to UK and watch their TV in the hotel, I have a feeling that they copy US in their shows, try to be politically correct the same way we do, etc. I really miss the authentic English spirit and peple like Benny Hill was with his shows

Reactions: theLBC
Dthomas didn't say that to akm. He said it to im55in012. Agreed that lots of people need to read more than post. This thread doesn't seem too bad. Now if it was the 30th thread asking the same question different story.

Have you read his attempt at stolen Valor yet? Seems he is an officer....

When it comes to threads like these, I dont read very deep. Boredom is likely why I missed the finer points of whom the Mod was excoriating.

Whenever I go to UK and watch their TV in the hotel, I have a feeling that they copy US in their shows, try to be politically correct the same way we do, etc. I really miss the authentic English spirit and peple like Benny Hill was with his shows
pbs used to show some good ones.
last of the summer wine
faulty towers
blackadder
one foot in the grave

tenor.gif

Where do you people find places to schoot? The longest range I was able to shoot at was Laguna Seca in CA and that was still well below 1000 yards. Do national parks let people practice their long distance shooting?
From NOVA it's 1.5 hours to Peacemaker if you are not speeding. You can shoot out to over 1000 yards there. Other option, but more complicated is Quantico. Further option is Frontline in North Carolina ( ~4 hours) or Bang Steel (4.75hrs). Send me a PM, If you are still wondering about the Tikka. I can let you take mine out to 100 yrd in Centerville so you can try it for yourself.

If you are really asking this question, and not trolling, I have several buddies that own large frame ar’s from psa and none are happy. A couple of them have the .308’s with the fn barrels and they don’t shoot. On the flip side, my shtf rifle is a psa ar-15. 100% reliable with 700 rounds down the tube.

My stock Ruger AR-556 will shoot sub-MOA the same rounds my Savage Axis .223 shoots less sub-MOA.

I have therefore proven the AR is better than the bolt. Thank you, and goodnight.

Tikka guarantee their rifles.
If it shoots poorly, take it back.
My local firearm shop owner estimates he has sold 1000 more Tikka's than any other brand over the last 3 years, with no complaints or returns.
If you want to buy a semi, do it.
If you want a bolt action, buy it.
You are the master of your own destiny.