• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Why can't we run a 6.5x55 in a short action?

pdd614

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 2, 2006
dfw
I figure the only reason we can't run a swede in a short action is the throating.
Swede brass is 2.1654 in length, and 260 brass is 2.035 in length. Here is the hang up. The 6mm crusader was designed to work in a short action, and its brass overall length is 2.233. George already said he had a 6.5 crusader in the works, but why not just run a swede. The way I see it, if we had a proper throat cut in the swede, we could easily run a swede in an AI magazine with the plate removed. Or even easier, we could just run alpha mags.

Does my reasoning sound logical? It should have more case capacity than a 260, with a longer neck, and cheaper brass. I am very tempted to give this a shot. In fact, I have a 6.5x47 barrel that is almost shot out. I may order up a short throated swede reamer to give this a shot.

Re: Why can't we run a 6.5x55 in a short action?

As a side note, a 140 amax bullet is 1.375 overall length, and the ogive is .689 from the tip of the bullet.
The 115 dtac is 1.29 overall length, and the ogive is .680 from the tip.

Interesting idea...want to know more

Any time you run an OAL that's longer than the action port, you're gonna have to deal with feeding and ejection issues. If the loaded cartridge can't be ejected normally after chambering, the combination becomes impractical for normal operation.

Personally, I don't mind single feeding, or tripping the bolt release and overstroking the bolt to eject an unfired round; but for anything besides a relaxed range environment, it just introduces too many extra variables into a rapid and sustained fire operation.

I have experimented with a fired .30-'06 case in a short action, to see if the fired case will clear the port, and it will. Obviously the test couldn't involve chambering the case in a chamber that wasn't designed for it. Aside from not closing the bolt, the rest of the test worked as normal. But the combination is not practical for field use.

OTOH, I would have no problem using the process for an F Class gun. One just needs to understand that for practical purposes, they have created a single shot rifle.

Greg

I may be way wrong here, but it is my understanding that some people are cramming the x55 into a SA.

However, the restriction of the SA mag length does not render much more than the .260 is capable of, so to really utilize case capacity a LA is needed so the mag length is no longer a restriction.

I tried the short throated 6.5X55 (0.080" freebore?). My max load was four grains under published 6.5X55 starting loads (49.0 RL22 "starting" for SAAMI 6.5X55, my max is 45), and it just cost too much in velocity. And, forget using factory 6.5X55 ammo, even if you seat it deeper so it will chamber, pressures will be WAY too high....

I'd let you try it, but I already sent the reamer back to PTG and had it re-ground to SAAMI 6.5X55 specs.

I think the 6.5X55 is kind of like the 6.5-284, you can chamber it in a short action, but long action works much better. If you want a 6.5 short action round, 260 is a much better solution.

Just my opinion and observation, from someone who's "been there".

Cheers,

Bill