• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Why did it have to be Leupold...

Sorry OP, but I'm going to break your rule of asking a dumb question. Your title implies that you are unhappy that a Leupold fits your requirements. Can you explain why???

Not sure that I made any rules on dumb questions, if I insinuated, I apologize. It is a valid question and I have no real answer other than- It has to do with the reputation that Leupold has received over the past several years. I do not currently own any, nor have I owned any of the high end ones, I've just been leery.

The VX-5HD is a top-tier hunting scope. Leupold has completely redone all their product lines within the last few years.

If you haven't looked though a Mark 5HD/VX-6HD/VX-5HD i can understand your headline, but you are missing out. I would highly recommend the VX-5HD for a hunting scope.

Not sure that I made any rules on dumb questions, if I insinuated, I apologize. It is a valid question and I have no real answer other than- It has to do with the reputation that Leupold has received over the past several years. I do not currently own any, nor have I owned any of the high end ones, I've just been leery.

The comment about stupid questions was more of a joke regarding your signature. I guess I've been out of the game for a bit as until a few days ago, I hadn't purchased any new rifles/scopes for about 5 years. Then, Leupold was still a premier brand and I didn't know they slipped, so now I understand.

That said, I just purchased a new AMG MRAD from one of the forum sponsors for a few bucks below your budget max. PM me if you want the info

The comment about stupid questions was more of a joke regarding your signature. I guess I've been out of the game for a bit as until a few days ago, I hadn't purchased any new rifles/scopes for about 5 years. Then, Leupold was still a premier brand and I didn't know they slipped, so now I understand.

That said, I just purchased a new AMG MRAD from one of the forum sponsors for a few bucks below your budget max. PM me if you want the info

Ahh. Haven't looked at that in years!
The AMG is high on the list of potentials for sure. Thanks.

Ahh. Haven't looked at that in years!
The AMG is high on the list of potentials for sure. Thanks.

I highly recommend the VX-6HD I just got one in the 4-24 model in the impact 23 moa reticle. Really nice scope, great glass, illuminated, I got mine for 1475 and it might be my new favorite scope. And I have razor hd gen 2, S&B pmii, nightforce,us optics, etc. And the glass is amazing in the new leupy HDs. I made a post about my vx6hd if you would like to see how the reticle looks through the scope.

I think you were right to be leery until recently. Leupold seemed to get their head out of their ass with the vx5 and 6 HD. I have both and have used both quite a bit dialing and holding and they are much much much better than the leupolds of yester year. Buy with confidence on this one.

The new Burris XTR III checks all your boxes minus illumination. But it's coming, not sure what your time frame for purchase is looking like.

It's a 3.3-18x50. Industry leading field of view. SCR reticle in mil or moa. FFP with capped windage and zero stop. Several ounces under your weight limit and under 13" in length. Locking diopter, 34mm tube, large eyebox, zero tunneling, HD glass. It's going to be an excellent choice as a long range hunting scope.

Made in Colorado.

Reactions: wind gypsy
The new Burris XTR III checks all your boxes minus illumination. But it's coming, not sure what your time frame for purchase is looking like.

It's a 3.3-18x50. Industry leading field of view. SCR reticle in mil or moa. FFP with capped windage and zero stop. Several ounces under your weight limit and under 13" in length. Locking diopter, 34mm tube, large eyebox, zero tunneling, HD glass. It's going to be an excellent choice as a long range hunting scope.

Made in Colorado.

I'm following that thread closely- I'm probably in for one of the xtr3's

I like my Mark 5HD 5-25 H59 so much I'm selling organs to get ahold of a 3.6-18 TMR to hunt with on my Grendel. I can't say enough how nice these turrets are, how easy the zero stop is to set and adjust, how absolutely clear and bright the glass is. They look great, and track as well as any other scope I've owned (I'm no SH veteran like some others, but I had several other 2010ish Leupy's and pretty much swore them off) I second the comments about the new Mark 5 lines having dealt with some of the real problems and making my proud of my "American made" scope again.

I like my Mark 5HD 5-25 H59 so much I'm selling organs to get ahold of a 3.6-18 TMR to hunt with on my Grendel. I can't say enough how nice these turrets are, how easy the zero stop is to set and adjust, how absolutely clear and bright the glass is. They look great, and track as well as any other scope I've owned (I'm no SH veteran like some others, but I had several other 2010ish Leupy's and pretty much swore them off) I second the comments about the new Mark 5 lines having dealt with some of the real problems and making my proud of my "American made" scope again.

great news. thanks for your input

Zeiss v4 4-16 should check all but illumination for IMO a really low price if you check around. I would have a v6 3-18 if the wind age locked. V4 widage is capped.

Reactions: beretta_man11