• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Why did you choose your AI?

rabbitsnsuch

Private
Minuteman
Feb 5, 2020
Outside
What aspect made you go with the AI? I know you get what you pay for and thats not where I'm going with this. What features made it edge out your other options. Prefit Barrels? Quick barrel change? Easy caliber change? What were you deciding between and why you picked AI. Looking to see some reasons that now you know about that you either love and hate about the platform, and would you do it again or stick with a built rem 700. Thanks!

Last edited:
1.) Slickest Action, feeding and ejection is almost magical
2.) AW mags
3.) QuikLoc
4.) Prefits
5.) Return to Zero
6.) AI customer service and warranty

I would do it again and not look back
AIAX + RRS 24L.jpg

Last edited:
Below is my adventure earlier this year to justify my AIAT purchase

I absolutely love this gun. For me I went with and love my AIAT for the following reasons

Quick change barrel- I don’t plan to run several calibers but the option to do so with a 3 minute barrel swap is nice. I’m already planning to get a 260 Rem barrel for it

10 Round Double stack mag

Folding Stock for measuring lands and ease of cleaning

Action is silky smooth and rounds feed like sticks of butter

I wanted the bonded chassis vs bolt on like the AE models

I prefer the old school AW look which is what really got me interested in the gun I purchased.

Mine has a Large Firing Pin. So a 15’ or later model AT etc may be more to your liking if you want the small one

Hands down this is the greatest rifle I’ve ever bought. It’s built like a tank. Awesome action and awesome trigger.

I wish I would have bought this years ago and not dicked around with my Savage or Rem 700’s. But I didn’t have the $$ which is why I didn’t get it back then

The thread that got me there is listed below

BD562223-9E7D-4A4D-AF7D-D2649CC92802.jpeg

The best reason for an AI is that it all works together it is the BEST RIFLE SYSTEM. The AW mags dont need to be messed with as far as the feed lips go. The action runs and the trigger is awesome. Plus you can now get a flat shoe for the trigger.

On my 260rem barrel both 140gr RDFs and 130gr ELDMs are the same POI at 100. Which i have never had happen before.

Overall the rifle is built like a tank. And it works at everything. Not the best at one thing but it does everything.

But once cry once. But also because it was one of the few high quality lefty guns available at the time.

Switch barrel capability, fantastic ergos, and a rep for rock solid reliability.

Reactions: 81sfo
My initial entry into the AI (AWSM) world was for variety :)

Something different then what everyone else was shooting.

No prefits, no multi caliber. 338 Lapua was the only caliber available at that time. I don't even recall if you could get something else in the AWSM back in 2003.

I was hooked after that one.

My favorite is the AW, so no quick change barrel. Doesn’t bother me at all since I don’t play musical barrels. Slick action, bonded to the chassis. Dovetail instead of a pic rail(no need for a pic rail). Aw mags are hands down the best, and feeding in an AI is smoother and more reliable than anything I’ve tried, and I’ve tried a lot. I like the standard AI trigger. I think it’s unmatched as a tactical precision style gun. I’d sell every other gun I own before the AW.

2.) QuikLoc
3.) Prefits
4.) Return to Zero
5.) AI customer service and warranty

Plus these
6) Quick change barrel
7.) Non-quick change barrels very easy no smithing.
8)Very rugged built to Mil Spec
9.) They Just Work
I now have 4 AI-PSR, AX, AT, AE
IMG_0278.jpg

so
Do the AE actions have the same feel as the others or are they different?
They’re different in that they feed from AICS mags, which don’t feed as smooth as AW mags. I dont think AIcS mags feed smoothly. Otherwise they’re the same. The mk3 bolt is identical to an AW bolt.

I bought my 1st AI as a birthday present to myself for making it to 40 and the AWSM .338 had been my dream rifle since I 1st laid eyes on one.

2 years later and I realised that as awesome as the .338 is, it wasn't practical for everyday work so I ended up buying an AT in 308, shortly followed by 22-250, 6mmbr and .260 Rem barrels and I havent taken anything else out of the safe since. Now if they could just make a .22lr conversion I'd probably sell everything apart from the shotgun.

I am saving for an AX50 for my 50th these days.

Reactions: deersniper
Reliable feeding no matter what. Thats the main thing for me.

Having the option to switch calibers on the fly with minimal POI shift is nice too.

Yes the AICS feel a little stiffer when you chamber a round but the bolt is very smooth like all my AI's. If MDT would make a chassis for the AE action i would buy it in a heat beat.
I did do a Trued up REM 700 build with high end part. XLR Chassis, Kreiger 26in 1-8 6.5 barrel, PTG bolt and Badger FTE muzzle brake. It shot well but the bolt throw sucked not even close to the AI or my Steyr SSG04 action.

Last edited:
I didn't choose AI, because they are more rifle than my means and needs could ever require.

Sometimes I forget this; but luckily, the price stops me cold every time.

Reactions: fx77 and Jayjay1
1. Reliability (as a relative comparison)
2. Repeatability. I don’t know about anybody else, but when I switch between my Creedmoor and 308 barrels the zero doesn’t even change enough to need to account for it.
3.Consistency and sourcing of barrels sans gunsmiths
4. Stability of platform
5. Heard beforehand that the whole process of the shooter interacting with the rifle was on a different level. Those folks were absolutely right.

Reactions: RS14
2.) AW mags
3.) QuikLoc
4.) Prefits
5.) Return to Zero

I would do it again and not look backView attachment 7367109
^that. Plus reliability.

Bought it sight unseen new. But once you hold one you know

553D3508-934F-4A0B-B745-8A9EB97C6590.jpeg

So a buddy of mine wanted one. Talked about it for almost a year. I tried to talk him out of it for that entire time period. No one near by had one for us to look at in person. Good or anything. He got a AX. Within a month I owned a AT. Reasons. For everything mentioned above. If you can afford to get one. Get one. Best rifle you will ever buy. Period.

I think it is a combination of the tangible, well thought-out feature set, and intangible way it goes together as a functioning system. Combine that with production quality, manufacturer support, and an active enthusiast community.

2.) AW mags
3.) QuikLoc
4.) Prefits
5.) Return to Zero

Agree on most, but raw action 'slickness' has to go to Sako although the doublestack AW mags feed a bit better.

I can barely talk cos all I have is an older AE MKII. I picked that up after debating about it all for months. The reasons were
1) system designed to work together.
2) the magazines and the action works phenomenally
3) strong extraction. and ejection, which to me is almost as important as accuracy
4) accuracy with the stock barrel (mine says AINA) is great, but I can always swap out barrels with a vice
5) I felt I was getting a better value for money especially with the older AE's than equivalent money would get on a custom build
6) 2 stage trigger from the factory. Not a match trigger but one that should work in pretty much all conditions.
A word of warning. It's a slippery slope..
Now I am Debating keeping the MKII and getting a older AIAX in 338 lapua..or selling the MKII and getting an AXMC vs selling the MKII and getting an AIAT..ITS bad man!!.
Anyways my advice..save the pennies and spring for either a used AE MKiii or get the AIAT.

Joined the hide in 2014 and had to see what all the AI fuss was about. Been shooting for 30 yrs at that point, thought I'd give one a try. Out of the box my AE Mk3 is printing .5" groups without extensive load workups (260rem). Since have moved to the AT and AX and I generally don't shoot the rest of my rifles. All said above about the build quality, feeding, accuracy, repeatabliity is spot on. I wish I had bought one earlier, I would have saved myself a lot of money.

I have an AI AT (.308, but awaiting a 6.5CM barrel), reasons: quality, switch barrel, can be used in a number of different competitions. Once I became interested in shooting, I became a bit of an AI fanboy - it can happen to anyone! If I had the money, I would have a safe full of AIs.

Any Sako in particular?
I think it is a combination of the tangible, well thought-out feature set, and intangible way it goes together as a functioning system. Combine that with production quality, manufacturer support, and an active enthusiast community.

Agree on most, but raw action 'slickness' has to go to Sako although the doublestack AW mags feed a bit better.

I have to disagree at least with my TRG-22 and AT. They are both smooth, however, the AT seems to be smoother to me.

I choose the AI platform for the rock solid rifle system that is an all weather all aspect sniper rifle that allows me to shoot multiple calibers and it just fits me very well. I have owned a lot of mediocre rifles over my lifetime and have since sold most of them for a couple of outstanding rifles.
The problem with the AI is that you can't just own one... You have to have an AXSA (short action) and AXSR (long action) just to make sure you can cover all your bases from 6CM to 338LM... :cool:

20200523_114733.jpg

Last edited:
My favorite is the AW, so no quick change barrel. Doesn’t bother me at all since I don’t play musical barrels. Slick action, bonded to the chassis. Dovetail instead of a pic rail(no need for a pic rail). Aw mags are hands down the best, and feeding in an AI is smoother and more reliable than anything I’ve tried, and I’ve tried a lot. I like the standard AI trigger. I think it’s unmatched as a tactical precision style gun. I’d sell every other gun I own before the AW.

Same. Love my AW. I keep it in 308

I have to disagree at least with my TRG-22 and AT. They are both smooth, however, the AT seems to be smoother to me.
I’m gonna have to say the same. I just got rid of my sako, and while I absolutely loved my sako, I love my AIAX just a little bit more. I will say, however I don’t think you’d be going wrong if you got a sako instead of an AI.

Attachments

• 990616C0-3072-42EF-965F-12DDDD37BD6B.jpeg
    990616C0-3072-42EF-965F-12DDDD37BD6B.jpeg
    677.2 KB · Views: 67
  • 550841C7-996A-42F1-8F60-9396D3393294.jpeg
    550841C7-996A-42F1-8F60-9396D3393294.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 68
Reactions: Winkmeister

Why are some AI rifles small firing pin?

Reactions: jay6ird

But I thought the triggers were perfect as is 😥
my factory trigger will not be changed. no reason to. yes the comp trigger will make it lighter. but its not needed.

Just because you don't want to change your trigger doesn't mean it's actually good

This thread is an echo chamber of bias confirmation
Oh come on now, the OP asked why we chose an AI. You’re certainly free to elaborate on why you didn’t like yours.

Reactions: RS14
Just because you don't want to change your trigger doesn't mean it's actually good

This thread is an echo chamber of bias confirmation

But I didn’t say I did or didn’t want to change it. I said I won’t be changing it. Because it’s not needed. There saying it is good Without actually saying “it’s good”.

I still have it. And shoot it.

Everyone claims the bolt throw is silky smooth. Well, actually they claim the bolt is silky smooth. Because the entire throw is not smooth. It is very smooth if you just run it forward and aft, but if you actually lower or raise the bolt handle(on a depressed sear) it is far from light and smooth as a custom 90* two lug.

Reliability no matter what. AW mags are not the most reliable mags out there. And that's what an AT and AX use. I have to pull my followers and springs out every once in a while and stretch them. There are threads on this forum about bolt shrouds exploding. There was a widespread fire control issue that AI warrantied for customers. Ive seen guys have melt downs with their AXs at matches, granted trying to shoot a BRX in it. The ultimate reliability no matter what is hype.

The spongy 2.5lb two stage trigger with springy follow thru for days is far from a great trigger.

Barrel swap. This is done on so many other platforms these days....that also give you 223, SPC/ PPC, and magnum bolt face capabilities.

Chassis are very bulky and you're very limited on alternatives.

A spare bolt costs $700

I'm shooting a two-day match this weekend in a very hot, dry, dusty environment. I have been debating taking my AI in 6GT or TL3 in 6 Dasher. I was about to take the GT and my buddy reminded me that this could be a fairly difficult match, so I deferred to the Dasher. The TL3 bolt is much smoother. I torque barrels on with a crescent wrench and muzzle flats for a perfect return to zero. I have barrels in 223, 6.5G, Dasher, Creed, BR, and 308. A TT Diamond is like a precision scalpel compared to a trigger designed for the military. The chassis is tunable for weight. Zermatt is Jonny on the spot with customer service or spare parts if i need them.

Don't get me wrong, the AI is a cool gun and very capable. I bought one just to see what the hype was. I really like the action. I have a comp trigger and it really isn't much better than the stock trigger. I debonded my rifle and spent considerable effort and money putting it into an MPA and i just pre-ordered an AO chassis.

But folks on this forum really do go overboard with their enthusiasm sometimes. To the point where it's an echo chamber.

Maybe yours isn’t so smooth, but mine certainly have been. Not as light on cocking as a TL3 for obvious reasons, but very smooth. No comparison in fore and aft movement. Both my AI’s are unbindable in that regard. If I was making compromises, I’d make them the same ones AI did. That fore/aft smoothness combined with AI mags makes for some dang smooth feeding. I know of no other gun that feeds as nice.

Never heard of the aw mag issues you speak of. Are you taking about their use in the tl3 or the AI? I have three mags for my AW with ~10k rounds through them. The only servicing ive ever done to them is push the followers down to blast them with air. I would say they’re the best magazines bar none. Simply a better design than the staggered stack/single feed AICS mags and clones imo.

AX in BRX? That shooter deserved what he got. Bad data point with ZERO value. I’m not surprised you mentioned it though. Like I’m not surprised you mentioned the AI bolts. Is that anything like the failing TL3 firing pins? It took the TL3 about a year before a small number of people experienced that. How long had the basic AI design been around, 25-30 years? What about people having to send their TL3’s in to have the cocking piece timed to the triggers? I don’t fault the TL3 for these things, because shit happens. It’s one of my favorite rem clones. I think you conveniently ignore
these things though to make a point.

You and I have gone over triggers, and we’re polar opposites on them because its completely subjective. If this were a TL3 thread, you’d be posting away like the AI fans here. The AI has a significant amount of positive history behind, its no surprise to me why they’d be popular around here. I bought in when they were far more expensive than they are now. Money well spent.

I can walk in to my shop right now, pluck a variety of custom actions off the shelf, including a TL3, chamber a blank in any of the common cartridges regularly discussed here, and drop it into any number of stocks. It will shoot and function great. If I had to pick one rifle though, I pick the AI without a moments hesitation.

Last edited:
I don´t have an AI and never held one in my hands.

This thread let me take a look, once again, for them.

Then I saw the prices again ...
:p

I don´t have an AI and never held one in my hands.

This thread let me take a look, once again, for them.

Then I saw the prices again ...
:p
If you’re anywhere near East Tennessee you’re more than welcome to put some rounds through mine, give ya the fever.