• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Why do you like the 1911?

deersniper

Protecting the Sheep
Banned !
Minuteman
  • Feb 22, 2007
    Northeast
    Not trying to start a shitstorm.

Why do you carry/like the 1911 platform? Trying to justify purchasing one for myself?

Main drawbacks seem to be weight and ammo capacity.

I currently shoot a Glock 26 and Glock 17.

Thanks.
    -dan

Re: Why do you like the 1911?

I love the 1911 for a few reasons, but the 1st, is the trigger. Have you ever felt a proper 1911 trigger, lile a Nighthawk Custom? Minimal reset is another factor. You can get a quality trigger job from a bunch of smiths out there. 2nd would be the high grip with a proper beavertail grip saftey. Able to control recoil better on a .45. You can get 1911 in any caliber that you can buy a glock with. But, you gotta love the .45ACP. Anything that needs to get shot, the .45 will get it done. But this is just my .02. JPG

Don't try to justify it.

There are many capable combat pistols available.

If you want a 1911 and will dedicate yourself to learning it's quirks, then get one.

I carry one because it's been reliable for me. It's comfortable and I can shoot it very well.

I have no problems setting it down and picking up my G21 when it's time to go to work.

-Trigger.
    -CC cocked/locked vs condition Glock.
    -history.
    -the platform, looks and craftmanship are personally appealing to me.

Nothing wrong with the other platforms I own...Glock, HK etc. It is all personal preference.

Doc's article link is great.

For me, it all boils down to ergonomics. I knew the minute I picked one up - "this is it". Perfect feel and balance.

I'm not a huge handgun fan- just not enough variety between them to get me excited or all religious on one make or another. So for me, if I pick one up and the feel is perfect, I like it. Odds are the mag release, slide catch, sights, etc. are all damn close to the last ten I just picked up, so the one that sits right and feels correct wins. 1911s always have that click for me.

Like USPs too.

Fits my hand.

Easy to conceal.

Fires an adequate caliber.

I'm too old to change.

The is NOTHING like a well-done 1911 trigger - (I'm partial to Nighthawk Custom as well)

My favorite 1911 quote:

Rosco S. Benson on rec.guns “Is the 1911 an Outdated Design?”

Of course the 1911 is an outdated design. It came from an era when weapons were designed to win fights, not to avoid product liability lawsuits. It came from an era where it was the norm to learn how your weapon operated and to practice that operation until it became second nature, not to design the piece to the lowest common denominator. It came from an era in which our country tried to supply its fighting men with the best tools possible, unlike today, when our fighting men and women are issued hardware that was adopted because of international deal-making or the fact that the factory is in some well-connected congressman's district. Yes, beyond any shadow of a doubt, the 1911 IS an outdated design....and that's exactly what I love about it.

it feels like a real gun. the weight, the steel, the way it fits in my hand. call me old school, but its a classic and you can customize it to add some personality.

Mine is the Trigger. I like the simple, short, strait pull. The controls are in the right spots at least with the beavertail.

Plus like everyone says it just works.

Only thing I dislike is the weight, after 8-10 hours a day 40 + hours a week it gets heavy

JMC

Ergonomics and trigger for me. I don't shoot any gun as quickly or as accurately as my 1911. It sits low in the hand, is easy to control, and has a light + short trigger pull so I can shoot quickly.

Very little impresses me about newer pistols. I do own a 2011, though.

For me its the Rem 700 action in a handgun, you can do so much with them depending on your application.

Deersniper,

Don't try to justify a 1911, stick with your Glock. If you want a 45, get a G21 or G30. G36 if you want something slimmer for CCW. The newer Glocks have adjustable backstraps, and there is the RTF frame.

Glock 21 has 13+1 round capacity. Full-sized Springfield 1911 as 7+1 capacity, is heavier, and is more expensive especially with "upgrades". Save your money for ammo.

1911s had to go through lots of modifications and improvements from original design to become more reliable with various different rounds (e.g. FMJ, hollow-point, etc). The design is from 1890s. The sights, edges, and safety are sharp and catch on clothing...agree that newer designs improved these problems. The American obsession with 1911s stem from its military tradition.

Glocks were reliable from the start. Durability is synonymous with Glock.

Why not stick with a platform you are already familiar with instead of learning a new one?

IT fits my hand. First time I shot one I knew it was what I wanted. I still havent been impressed by a Glock. Triggers are kinda my thing and my 1911 has a better trigger than any Glock will ever have, period.

I've owned and shot a Glock 21 for 9 years now. It has all the bells and whistles; 3 1/2 pound connector, feed ramp polished, etc, etc. I really trust the pistol and it is accurate. But my next purchase will be another 1911. I have a WWII vintage Remington Rand that still shoots great, but because of it's age it is a safe queen. I like the way it fits my hand, and one main feature is the safeties, grip safety, and thumb safety. Whith a round in the chamber, cocked and locked it is ready to go but still safe. I know Glocks are "safe action pistols" but that doesn't take the human error part out of the equasion.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don't try to justify it.

There are many capable combat pistols available.

If you want a 1911 and will dedicate yourself to learning it's quirks, then get one.

I carry one because it's been reliable for me. It's comfortable and I can shoot it very well.

I have no problems setting it down and picking up my G21 when it's time to go to work.

</div></div>

The last line of LWs post sums up my feelings on the matter. I play with a 1911,I pick up a Glock when it's time to work.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Halligan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...I know Glocks are "safe action pistols" but that doesn't take the human error part out of the equasion. </div></div>

Response, good retention holster, save gun handling and keep finger off of triger until ready to fire and shot.

you guys pretty much covered it.

i have a sig 226 and a witness but still prefer the 1911 im only 34 so im not an old timer. i have just loved the 1911 from the first time i ever shot one

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vkc</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Halligan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...I know Glocks are "safe action pistols" but that doesn't take the human error part out of the equasion. </div></div>

Response, good retention holster, safe gun handling and keep finger off of trigger until ready to fire and shoot. </div></div>

Response: First off I agree with you 100%

However; is a Fobus a good retention holster? In 20 years of gun handling, no accidental discharges, would that be a safe gun handling record? I'm in such a habit of "finger off the trigger until ready to fire" that my finger is not on the trigger when I'm holding my impact driver or drill.

I should've been more clear. When teaching a new pistol shooter it is much safer for everyone if the student is using a 1911 instead of a Glock. And, I leave that Glock chambered in the console of my truck and not holstered. Yes it makes me nervous, but if I NEED it. I won't have time to unholster it and/ or chamber a round. Someday I'll trade the Glock for a 1911 to ride along in the truck for that very reason.

If you want to justify it, look at resale. While all the little polymer pistols drop in value, that iconic 1911 stays steady. And it's an absolute pleasure to shoot.

Well, I favor revolvers over autos, but the main thing I love about 1911s is simply they feel like a gun and not a toy like Glocks do. I also love the history behind them as a Military sidearm. The fact that they have changed VERY little since they first came into service should tell you something about it's rock solid design.

Why - for work and play. But, they say a picture is worth a 1000 words, so:

DSC_0009.jpg

DSC_0002.jpg

1911-8-2-1.jpg

T3-123.jpg

T3-Group.jpg

Doc, seriously man, you need to buy some more 1911's.

I thought I had it bad....I do need to add a NHawk to my stable.

Here is another collection. Now, this guy has it bad
    laugh.gif

003a.jpg

TOP ROW: Springfield TRP, Springfield GI, Springfield TGO1, Infinity custom build, Para GI Expert, Para 1911 Limited, Sig STX, Dan Wesson Valor, Dan Wesson CBOB

SECOND ROW: Thompson Custom 1911, Auto Ordnance GI, Colt Commander XSE, Colt Special Combat Government, Colt Gold Cup, Nighthawk Predator II, Nighthawk Enforcer, Pistol Dynamics custom build, Taurus PT 1911

THIRD ROW: Les Baer SRP, Les Baer Concept V, Ed Brown Classic Custom, Ed Brown Kobra Carry, Firestorm DLX, Rock Island Armory GI, Norinco GI, Smith & Wesson SW1911, Smith & Wesson PC1911

FOURTH ROW: Volkmann Combat Custom, Kimber Pro CDP II, Kimber Custom II, Kimber Super Match II, Yost custom build, AMT Hardballer, Unertl DLX, Ithaca USGI, Remington Rand USGI,

BOTTOM ROW: Charles Daly EFS, Wilson Super Grade, Wilson CQB, Detonics ServiceMaster, Rock River Arms Limited Match, STI Trojan, STI Spartan, STI Legacy, Fusion Commander Elite

There are two things that will keep the 1911 for many more years to come and one is trigger and the other sites.

Cut

I like classics

Trigger

Grip angle

Caliber

Thin profile

Whipping most of the hi-cap 9mm's at the local pistol match with a 8-round .45

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Halligan</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vkc</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Halligan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...I know Glocks are "safe action pistols" but that doesn't take the human error part out of the equasion. </div></div>

Response, good retention holster, safe gun handling and keep finger off of trigger until ready to fire and shoot. </div></div>

Response: First off I agree with you 100%

However; is a Fobus a good retention holster? In 20 years of gun handling, no accidental discharges, would that be a safe gun handling record? I'm in such a habit of "finger off the trigger until ready to fire" that my finger is not on the trigger when I'm holding my impact driver or drill.

I should've been more clear. When teaching a new pistol shooter it is much safer for everyone if the student is using a 1911 instead of a Glock. And, I leave that Glock chambered in the console of my truck and not holstered. Yes it makes me nervous, but if I NEED it. I won't have time to unholster it and/ or chamber a round. Someday I'll trade the Glock for a 1911 to ride along in the truck for that very reason. </div></div>

I think we are saying the same thing, agree with you. Glocks are good guns. People either love them or hate them, same with 1911s. Just preference and what you shot better. Take care.

Wow, maybe my Kimber won't look so bad in hard chrome. I'm having it and my 2011 done soon--pics to follow of course.

The 1911 is popular, and has been around for 100 years because it is effective, rugged, reliable, and chambered for a cartridge that does the job. It can be modified to everyone's tastes (and budget), but the single factor that makes it so shootable is its trigger. It is clean, resets consistently, and needs minimal movement through its range of motion.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: longebow</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The 1911 is popular, and has been around for 100 years because it is effective, rugged, reliable, and chambered for a cartridge that does the job. It can be modified to everyone's tastes (and budget), but the single factor that makes it so shootable is its trigger. It is clean, resets consistently, and needs minimal movement through its range of motion. </div></div>

+1

Also, I think they look amazing, which is a pretty big factory for pistols and firearms and general for me.

<ul style="list-style-type: disc">[*]Fits my hands like a glove [*]All steel/alloy, no wobbly/mushy construction [*]Awesome trigger w/out having to drop extra $$$ to bypass the 145 safety features [*]Simple, robust and proven internals design [*]Typically very accurate from the factory, w/out spending extra $$$ for replacement barrels, etc... [*]Investment/resale value [*]Availability of parts and customization of any sort [*]Chicks digs it!
    grin.gif
    [/list]

IMHO: Speaking of QUALITY 1911(s)

1911; Going on 100 years STRONG = Perfection
    - Proven
    - Reliable [As long as you dont @*#!# with it]
    - 230grn .45ACP
    - Steel/Steel
    - Accurate
    - America's Sidearm; 1911 = USA
    - Crisp/Clean Trigger
    - Condition 1

NOTHING Feels/Points as natural as a 1911. Fits/Points like an extension of your arm.

I think we should add how cool the 1911 looks in the Gangster Movies...
    I love my two Colt 1911 45's.
    I also like my two Browning Hi-Powers.
    Feel/pointing is very close.
    George of the Jungle

A steel full-size 1911 .45acp feels just right in my hand. I carry my 5" 1911 in condition one, and this is my CCW 80% of the time. They're reliable, accurate and have great triggers.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Doc1911</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here is another collection. Now, this guy has it bad
    laugh.gif

003a.jpg

TOP ROW: Springfield TRP, Springfield GI, Springfield TGO1, Infinity custom build, Para GI Expert, Para 1911 Limited, Sig STX, Dan Wesson Valor, Dan Wesson CBOB

SECOND ROW: Thompson Custom 1911, Auto Ordnance GI, Colt Commander XSE, Colt Special Combat Government, Colt Gold Cup, Nighthawk Predator II, Nighthawk Enforcer, Pistol Dynamics custom build, Taurus PT 1911

THIRD ROW: Les Baer SRP, Les Baer Concept V, Ed Brown Classic Custom, Ed Brown Kobra Carry, Firestorm DLX, Rock Island Armory GI, Norinco GI, Smith & Wesson SW1911, Smith & Wesson PC1911

FOURTH ROW: Volkmann Combat Custom, Kimber Pro CDP II, Kimber Custom II, Kimber Super Match II, Yost custom build, AMT Hardballer, Unertl DLX, Ithaca USGI, Remington Rand USGI,

BOTTOM ROW: Charles Daly EFS, Wilson Super Grade, Wilson CQB, Detonics ServiceMaster, Rock River Arms Limited Match, STI Trojan, STI Spartan, STI Legacy, Fusion Commander Elite
    </div></div>
    I just counted roughly 40+k in 1911's, Doc, you win. bravo sir. bravo.

SON, the 1911 was designed to use God's caliber, the .45 Auto. That's what makes it amazing.

Personally I'm not a 1911 fan for carry. I don't own a 1911 either. I do have one on my short list for guns to purchase in the future.

INMHO, you may or may not like it b/c of the difference in grip angle between the 1911 and Glock.

I do think you can to the wrong place if you're thinking a bunch of us nuts are going to talk you OUT of getting a new firearm. Not gonna happen here buddy
    wink.gif

1911s have something that I haven't noticed in too many other pistols. If they were people, I'd attribute it to personality, or style. They aren't a perfect answer for everyone, but in as much as a firearm can be a classic, the 1911, along with the BHP, is just <span style="font-style: italic">there.</span>

.45ACP, good trigger, good sights. No plastic. What else is there. But then again, I don't like plastic Christmas trees either.

C'mon, how many other guns can use their own parts to completely disassemble! Also, feels good, carries good, shoots good and besides, it's a 1911 !!!

I love the 1911, dont have the money doc has, mine is a essex reciever with a remington rand slide, less than 2 lbs on the trigger, fits my hand like a glove and I can still keep a full clip inside a coffee cup at 50ft. I have carried a 1911 since the early 70s. I will carry one till I take the dirt nap.

Semper Fi

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Savage110</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Doc1911</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here is another collection. Now, this guy has it bad
    laugh.gif

003a.jpg

</div></div>
    I just counted roughly 40+k in 1911's, Doc, you win. bravo sir. bravo. </div></div>

Yost, Pistol Dynamics, RRA, Wilson, EB . . . Way over 100K friend. I like that there are 45 45s pictured.

Sorry for any misunderstanding, but in my original post of this pic I said they were someone else's ("this guy has it bad"). These 45-45s are not mine...

Glocks, HK's, Springfield's, Rugers, S&W revolvers, Kimbers,
    I have owned them all. I have shot them all. I have kept not a one.

My Ed Brown Special Forces 5" 1911 will get passed down to my son when he is old enough.

These pistols come from an age when men were men and women were in the kitchen making said men a sammich. The trigger is flawless and feels like butter. It can shoot out the x at 50 feet (if I do my part) Plus the engineering of the gun. Can you imagine, all those parts working together flawlessly from a time when there was no assembly line with cnc machines and robots assemlbing the pieces. Just like my Colt Python, they are just perfect.

The heft, the way it feels in you hand. Like the love of a good woman, just makes your heart lighter.

I carry a Walther PPS 9mm in the summertime. I feel guilty about leaving my 1911 at home. Like I left my dog at home and went hunting with some other mutt. Might get the job done, but feels different. Wrong somehow.