• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Why doesn't Remington offer a 700 with a 24" M24/M40 Profile Barrel?

Just think of the money one could save if Remington sold the above rifles as "barreled actions" only. Then the user, if they just wanted a cheap stock, could buy one online from those of us that have way too many of them on a top shelf somewhere.

Remington is not in the business of saving you money.......

Savage has the right idea - not only do they offer heavier barrel profiles, but also offer them in popular precision chamberings - not sure why Remington doesn't get it...

savage-12lrt.jpg

I get the feeling big green still believes in the old way of doing things... moving the market (making a new product hoping that advertizing will sell it) rather than following the market and treads and making what is hot today. Had they been on the ball with a fast twist 260 varmint or even a updated design like the 260/6.5 super LR we may have not have seen the success of the 6.5 Creedmoor nor the development of the 6.5 Lapua. But what did they do... waited a couple decades and then decide to release a fast twist Sporter... but no varmint.

Last edited:
Since people seem to lust after the M24/M40, why doesn't Remington offer a 700 with the same heavy barrel contour and correct length?

Take a 26" P (or PSS) and have someone cut 2" of the barrel.
Its a lot easier than Buying the 2" barrel and welding 4 more inches on.

While you are at it, have them cut off the chamber end, and machine in a new tight chamber without the excessively long throat.

Yes. The barrel is not exactly to spec as the M40. The M700SS w/ the R5 24" bull barrel is almost the same action and the same barrel as the the 40 specs. The stock is better on the M40 and the trigger is not the crap XMP on the M40 either. But pickup a M700SS R5 milspec, but a nice trigger on it and put some good glass on it. It is amazingly accurate. I would highly doubt if the average shooter would be able to do ant better with the M40 than they could do with my M700SS.

The thing is, I understand using the heavier M24/M40 barrel would drive the cost up, but I think people would still pay it - I know I would.

It would drive the cost DOWN, since there is less material removed (less lathe time = less $) from the barrel blank

Yes. The barrel is not exactly to spec as the M40. The M700SS w/ the R5 24" bull barrel is almost the same action and the same barrel as the the 40 specs. The stock is better on the M40 and the trigger is not the crap XMP on the M40 either. But pickup a M700SS R5 milspec, but a nice trigger on it and put some good glass on it. It is amazingly accurate. I would highly doubt if the average shooter would be able to do ant better with the M40 than they could do with my M700SS.

Not even close.

I don't understand the desire for that profile so much anyway. It's a good profile and I've had a few myself, but it doesn't do anything some of the lighter profiles can't.

Some guys go overboard on barrel contour. If it's a good barrel, it's going to be accurate and won't open up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It would drive the cost DOWN, since there is less material removed (less lathe time = less $) from the barrel blank

less removal of material equals tooling lasting longer, for some reason they have no problem spinning a retarded ass triangle barrel on their tactical target barrel but the possibility of spinning a barrel that countless smiths like ga precision, SAC, and others are making money by the bucket loads pulling Remington varmint barrels with sloppy throats.

there tactical line is nothing more than a half ass attempt to market their deer rifles to a different segment without any real effort on their parts. just slap a different 25 dollar stock on a varmint, slap a tactical sticker on the box and call it done.

really... a 260 in sporter contour? didn't know the hunting community has been burning up the internet begging for a 260 to replace their .243's and .270's. really a nice little tactical .223 bolt gun that cant fire the most effective bullets because nobody really shoots over a 55 grain bullet. same thing with the rifle named the tactical long range with a triangle barrel,

I am a Remington fan, but they really are not even trying to figure out this market.

Actually they do. It's called the 40XB and it's one of their custom shop target rifles. And it's a repeater, not a single shot.

I have one of these and they are very accurate.
in its old AICS
2prgthe.jpg

here it is in viperskins
fc1stz.jpg

and with 2 fallow prickets it took on opening day of this season
a35i1.jpg

Not even close.

I don't understand the desire for that profile so much anyway. It's a good profile and I've had a few myself, but it doesn't do anything some of the lighter profiles can't.

Some guys go overboard on barrel contour. If it's a good barrel, it's going to be accurate and won't open up.

I don't need a m40 profile barrel specifically, but that combined with them missing on everything else is annoying. a 700p in a 1:8 260 would be awesome. a sps tac in 1:7 223 would be awesome, a m40 barrel option would be nice considering it would satisfy benchresters, varminters and the long range guys at the same time. it would be nice if every 700 tactical model outside of the 700p line would come with something better than a 25 dollar plastic stock.

would be nice to get a Remington that doesn't need a total rebuild

Benchrest people don't shoot factory rifles or factory barrels.

They put cheap stocks on them just for the reason they sold muscle cars with steel wheels in the 60s and 70s----the stock is a personal thing and most people are going to buy what they want. Why make people pay extra for a stock they hate?

Look at their varmint vs their higher end guns...almost 300-400 difference. That 400 goes a long way toward one's personal preference.

Look at Glock sights...

Gents, this is the difference between big business and small business. Those who have worked in corporate American, or been in the .mil, have experienced this. Ever wonder why the stupid, out of touch with reality and wrong decisions continually come down "from above"?

People who sit around in meetings all day, because that is their "job", have absolutely positively no idea what is going on out here in the world. The bubble they live in is completely insular, they are surrounded by sycophants and yes men who only want to advance themselves by currying favor with the higher ups. And, for the most part, they got where they are by doing much the same: sucking up, schmoozing, glad-handing, and other, less savory techniques related to the treatment of other people in their drive to get to the top.

We have this discussion over at beeradvocate.com occasionally, as it relates to Bud/Coors/Miller ("the BCMs") and their efforts to stem the growing market share losses they are taking to the burgeoning craft beer industry. They absolutely, positively don't "get it", and from my own time in corporate American I can tell you they never ever will. Actually responding to small market segments is completely alien to them. They are incapable of actually working at ground level out here with the unwashed masses. They would be lost. Their business model is to drive demand, not to respond to it.

Do not wait for Remington to wake up. It will not happen.