• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Why Federal Primer Hate

DocRDS

Head Maffs Monkey
Minuteman
Feb 21, 2012
The Great Beyond
In my local neck of the woods, a lot of customers at my son's store turn their noses up at Federal Primers. (no they are not in stock nor does he have a line on them)

What is the story behind this (if any).

I am familiar with the "soft" primer Federal is known for--but that is more a "feature" for some light striking handguns--Personally I've never known people to avoid them and of course before I started reloading, FGMM was THE standard and pretty sure that had Fed primers....

Years ago when I reloaded for an M1A I would get slam fires with federal match primers.They worked good in a bolt 308 rifle.

• Love
Reactions: sinister
No hate here. I’ve been using FGMM large and small rifle primers for many years with no issue at all. I also use Winchester Magnum large rifle with zero issues. I suppose if I had primer piercing or slam fires related to primers, I would change to something else for that use.

a bunch of guys here on the hide the federal 205m and 205mAR small rifle primer is the go to primer.
I use them and love them.

The revolver shooters in USPSA all use Federal primers in their lightly sprung revolvers. Only primer that gives reliable ignition after the trigger work.

Reactions: Kadams1563
Kind of thae same thing as certain guns like certain bullets or velocity....
Nothing wrong with them. Just an option!

I’ve used Federal Small Pistol Magnum in 357, Federal Small Pistol, in 9MM, Colt Super 38 Auto. Federal Small Rifle in 223 Remington , Large Rifle in 243 Win, 308 Win, 7.92x57 for almost 2 decades never had failure to fire or any other primer related malfunction.

I was going to say it’s the over done tray and packaging that takes up 5x the space of any other box of 1000.

• Haha
Reactions: 1moaoff
Nothing, they're a little "softer" to ignite speaking generally but otherwise they're good to go. I use Winchester almost exclusively when times are normal for no better reason than "it's what Ive always used"

OKay--being rather "new" to the community I didn't know if this was a thing of days gone by (He frequently gets the "Remington is the bolt action standard") or something else.

205Ms have been pretty rock solid in my 308. Enough so to pay end of the world prices to keep loading with them. I always thought the 210M was more popular than other offerings but could be wrong.

because the packaging is 10x the size of CCI.

They are my go to for everything, but had to switch to CCI for pistol during this shortage.

• Haha
Reactions: charnicus