• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Re: Why Glock?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Utah Shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jim D</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JW Snydes</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Turk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't see that being possible; the sights are fixed in relation to each other. Kinda like a M16; the upper wiggles in relation to the lower. </div></div>

If the whole slide wiggled, then you would be right, but the front wiggles and the read barely does, also the tolerance between the slide and the barrel doesn't seem to be that tight. Inside of 25 yards it isn't a big deal.

I've also put a laser sight on it to confirm that the sights are constantly pointing in a slightly different direction than previous shots. </div></div>

Barrel to slide fit really drives accuracy (75%+), frame to slide fit doesn't really impact accuracy all that much (maybe 10-20% at most). </div></div>

10-20 percent of what? Accuracy? </div></div>

Yes.
http://www.10-8performance.com/pages/1911-Parts-%26-Modifications.html
Hilton suggests it's about 15-20% in a match grade 1911, so how much it matters in a duty grade, polymer frame pistol is anyone's guess.

Glocks have a long track records of reliability and durability. For the price, they are hard to beat if you can get use to their triggers and ergonomics.

Their quality is outstanding and the reliability is second to none. I am a Police Officer in Smyrna, GA where Glock is based. After thousands of rounds through my Glock, I can honestly say I have never had a malfunction which was related to the gun. The ONLY time I ever had a malfunction with it is when I got into a bad box of training ammo. I can tell you on a personal level that they really do care about their customers and will do anything to ensure they put out a great quality gun. Will Glock win Sexiest Looking Gun of the Year Award? Never. But my Glock has saved my ass when I really needed it and for that I am forever grateful and wouldn't trust my life with anything else.

Also to what VKC said about getting used to their triggers, if you don't master the trigger reset on a Glock, you are really shorting yourself on what you can do with it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They flat out work, try before you buy, a G27 would not be my advice for a first time Glock buyer. </div></div>

+1 on this comment. I do not know you capabilities but I have seen many people purchase a compact or sub compact Glock in a larger heavier caliber only to be unhappy with them because they could not get a feel for it. Glocks are simple and easy to operate. That's why several other companies including S&W have tried to copy them, several times. Remember the Sigma?

There are a ton of trade in 19's and 22's you bcan get for a steal. Get one, trick it out of you want, and then get the compact carry gun. Just my opinion.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pflyinguy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They flat out work, try before you buy, a G27 would not be my advice for a first time Glock buyer. </div></div>

+1 on this comment. I do not know you capabilities but I have seen many people purchase a compact or sub compact Glock in a larger heavier caliber only to be unhappy with them because they could not get a feel for it. Glocks are simple and easy to operate. That's why several other companies including S&W have tried to copy them, several times. Remember the Sigma?

There are a ton of trade in 19's and 22's you bcan get for a steal. Get one, trick it out of you want, and then get the compact carry gun. Just my opinion. </div></div>

+1 to this as well. Go full size the first time.

Glock comparison to a tool = hammer
They are the simplest form of human engineering in a firearm to come along since the double rifle.
Glocks have less moving parts than most other firearms including revolvers.
There is a reason most armorers love them and 1911 guys hate them.
I have carried one 24/7 as my CCW business gun for a long time.
I actually have (2) identical glock 23s for CCW.
This way when one gets taken for a shooting, whether justified or not, i simply replace with number 2.
Same holster, mags ammo, no mental training needed, therefore no fumbles at odarkthirty.
Ill be the first to admit im partial to the feel of a 1911 or my 220, but for an idiot proof in your face unplanned encounter, they are hard to beat.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/m6i3dtytmBA"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/m6i3dtytmBA" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

I'm guessing this is why everyone likes them so much.

There isnt really anything too special about 'em.
They're just a pretty well- made gun that can be had for a fairly low price from a company that has good quality control.

You arent getting the best ergonomics, the best trigger, the lowest bore axis, the highest capacity, the nicest looking, smoothest, coolest(depends on who you talk to), easiest to use, or the most accurate pistol out there...
But you'll get a very usable, servicable pistol.
It'll do everything you can expect a pistol to be able to do, it just won't do anything extraordinary.

I'm a SIG guy myself, but it's hard to go wrong with a Glock.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Turk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just curious; which pistol has lower bore axis and higher capacity?</div></div>

I dont know, what could that be??
Gaston? would you care to comment?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: opshin556</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Turk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just curious; which pistol has lower bore axis and higher capacity?</div></div>

I dont know, what could that be??
Gaston? would you care to comment? </div></div>

The Gaston part just about gave it away.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just curious; which pistol has lower bore axis and higher capacity? </div></div>
For bore axis...
Steyr M
S&W N frame
SIG P210(for me, anyway)
M&P for many.
Chiappa Rhino
cool.gif

I'm sure there's more.

For capacity...
XDM
HK USP expert tactical
CZ75 tactical sport pistol
Some EAA witness models
PARA-ORD and others have 18 round 1911's in 9MM
STI GP9
HKP7
Again, I'm sure I'm missing a few.

I don't know of any pistols that exceed the Glock in both those areas, but these come close:
SR9 sits lower for me and has the same capacity.
M&P 9 sits lower for me and has the same capacity.
PPQ in 9MM sits lower for me and has same capacity.

Heaven forbid I imply that a glock isnt the perfect pistol in every way...
smirk.gif

The point is that the Glock is not a pistol of extreme feats.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EDIT:
Oh, I see what you're getting at.
Yeps, Glock 17 has a lower bore axis AND holds more rounds in a magazine than any SIG. At a lower price, too!

Why I chose SIG over Glock:
-I prefer DA/SA
-I prefer aluminum frames/interchangeable grips -polymer gets slippery, I've gone through grips already and I'm not into woodburning my guns when they get slick...
-Never seen a SIG jam, or talked to anyone who has. Seen a few Glock jams...
-I like steel sights.
wink.gif

-I like steel magazines -they don't get all goobery.
-Even with the high bore axis, I prefer SIG recoil, seems softer and smoother.
-I just shoot SIGs much better -more accurately, faster, points better.
-Ergonomics are worlds better for me in general -controls, grip size, ETC.
-SIGs SEEM to have more potential for accuracy.
-EVERYBODY already has a Glock. Gotta mix it up...
-Glocks are uglier than sin -SIGs look as cool as Glocks do ugly.
-At the time, I paid for my SIG less than what I could have on the cheapest Glock in the Eugene area. Low $500's.
-It's my preference, so back off.

While there are several good pistols out on the market these days, I can't think of another series of pistols that offers the same combination of advantages as the Glock.

In my experience they have proven to be a reliable and accurate shooting platform right out of the box. They are light weight but still very controllable. They are very easy to operate even for those with minimal experience. They're also easy to breakdown and maintain with simple tools. Spare parts aren't too expensive, and are readily available in most areas. Accessories like factory magazines, night sights and quality holsters are also abundant and reasonably priced.

I also like that Glock offers pistols in variety of sizes and calibers which share a common manual of arms. I have three different Glocks that I use for recreation and concealed carry, and I can easily transition from one to the other without any major hiccups. I even use the same IWB holster and mag holder for concealing all three. I may switch between the 26, 19 or 17 based on what I can get away with, but everything else stays the same, right down to the Glock 17 mag as a reload for all three.

I don't claim that Glocks are better than everything else out there, and I definitely would not consider myself a Glock fanboy. I have just found that the combination of advantages offered by the glock line of pistols meets my needs better than any other pistol series that I've tried. That's what makes it special, at least in my opinion.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lockdown</div><div class="ubbcode-body">One other practical thing about Glocks that I like is the fact that if my G22 is disabled, I can use the magazines from this gun in my G27 with no problems. So I can carry two guns of the same caliber without the fear of being S.O.L. if my primary gun is disabled. There aren't a lot of other manufacturers that can say that. </div></div>

Other than Ruger, or S&W, or Sprinfield Armory, or HK, or Sig...

They are popular because the are relatively inexpensive and they work.

I've tried several and the ergonmics don't work for me. Too blocky and doesn't fit me well. I'd love less maintenance than my 1911's take to run like a Glock but that is what works for me and I shoot the best. The only polymer guns that come close to the 1911 for me are HK.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: strangedays</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jim D</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: strangedays</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If they fail and you have experience throwing bricks you will always be deadly with it. If you want something better go with the M&P which does not use plastic guide rods like the brick.
</div></div>

Care to point out a broken plastic Glock guide rod? One ever stop a Glock from running?

The M&P's haven't really exhibited the best track record so far, so I'm not sure why you think it's "better" than a Glock.

There is plenty to not like about Glocks, but complaining about plastic guide rods that don't break is hardly a meaningful criticism. </div></div>
Based on your own criticism I doubt you know much about them. I had two break one jammed the slide so bad it was the biggest PITA to remove. It is only a $20 part but regardless. I have had more crap break on glocks than any M&Ps. The M&Ps have more rounds through them then the glocks I own. I sold all my Glocks and went to M&P but yes I still own a G22 and its been done over to replace the crappy parts. I agree with the post about how the only reason a person would buy a glock is because they can't afford the H&K well the M&P is a much better built gun. Better steel on the slide also. Plus if you shoot lead it won't blow up like the glock also. Plus if you look at the gen. 4 glock they had huge issues up front and have been trying to play catch up ever since. Buy once cry once! </div></div>

do you have any pics or video of the broken glocks your mentioning?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Intrepid4576</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: strangedays</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jim D</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: strangedays</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If they fail and you have experience throwing bricks you will always be deadly with it. If you want something better go with the M&P which does not use plastic guide rods like the brick.
</div></div>

Care to point out a broken plastic Glock guide rod? One ever stop a Glock from running?

The M&P's haven't really exhibited the best track record so far, so I'm not sure why you think it's "better" than a Glock.

There is plenty to not like about Glocks, but complaining about plastic guide rods that don't break is hardly a meaningful criticism. </div></div>
Based on your own criticism I doubt you know much about them. I had two break one jammed the slide so bad it was the biggest PITA to remove. It is only a $20 part but regardless. I have had more crap break on glocks than any M&Ps. The M&Ps have more rounds through them then the glocks I own. I sold all my Glocks and went to M&P but yes I still own a G22 and its been done over to replace the crappy parts. I agree with the post about how the only reason a person would buy a glock is because they can't afford the H&K well the M&P is a much better built gun. Better steel on the slide also. Plus if you shoot lead it won't blow up like the glock also. Plus if you look at the gen. 4 glock they had huge issues up front and have been trying to play catch up ever since. Buy once cry once! </div></div>

do you have any pics or video of the broken glocks your mentioning? </div></div>
I might have the old Guide rod sitting around in the loading room. I will see if I can find it. I replaced them all with Lone Wolf captured guide rods. They only cost about $20 with a new spring.

Okay, I'll chime in. I used to be a Glock hater until it was my only line of defense in some bad places. Then I started to give them a fair look.

Agree with all of the aforementioned "they simply work" comments. Add to that magazine interoperability between different sizes of the same caliber.

But fundamental mechanics are where I'm most impressed in that the grip angle on Glocks seems to be more aggressive AND natural.

If you point your finger at an object on a wall and relax your fingers and have someone put a 1911 in your hand, it will be pointed downwards. I love 1911s and the grip size fits very easily and naturally in my hands.

But if you put a Glock in your relaxed hand while pointing at the wall, it's almost dead on target (at least it is for me).

So I think it is far more natural of an angle. What does that translate into in my humble and relatively worthless opinion?

1 - Faster acquisition
2 - Better fundamental management of recoil

To expand on the second point, I think that the people who shoot with the super aggressive left hand grip (myself included) will experience improved recoil management with a pistol that has this more natural grip angle over a pistol that is otherwise equal in everything else but the grip angle.

I haven't shot any other pistols across the 1911, H&K, S&W, FNH, and Sig worlds that have this same basic feature. I could be wrong though.

Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

I shoot my 26 better than my 19. If going for the 27, try it along with the 26. The 9mm is far less snappy with the two finger grip. And don't add an extension, otherwise you might as well get a 19/23. That being said the GAP grip plates do help in draw. Mine rock everything except one time when I had some crap reloads (my error).

Most people that hate Glocks are always gonna hate them. Let them hate away. Thats the beauty of America, we dont have to like the same things. I dont care if a gun is sexy looking, I care if it works. If your a died-in-the-wool 1911 guy, your not gonna like a glock. To each their own. I have around 25k rounds through my gen 3 G19 with 3 failures in it. 2 fails to fire that happened back to back from ammo I picked up off the ground at the range (I wonder why it was on the ground?!) and 1 stove pipe when I was shooting it support hand only 1 week after getting out of a sling on that arm after shoulder surgery. I clean the gun every 5k rounds, carry it daily, and dont think twice about it. M&P, XDM, who cares, they are all based off the same Gaston concept, and you could probably do the same with any of them. All guns are going to break at some point, but dont get on here and bash a glock because its ugly. The average pistol in America has had 7 rounds put through it. So you get all these people bashing guns that they have never fired because their guns have run flawless for 500 rounds. Are you kidding me, 500 rounds isnt even a proper brake in. Run that gun for 10K rounds, clean it twice, then tell me about how reliable it is. I dont care if its a glock, of 1911, or whatever you want, just dont claim 500 rounds is a reliability standard. I dont care what someone carries as long as it works...unless im on the receiving end!

I'm a die hard 1911 fan, and i like glock. Going to pick up a 21 this weekend. Aesthetics is of personal taste but to most including me the Glock just doesn't have that "look" to it that i consider a beautiful looking firearm. Doesn't discredit it, just points out it's boxy shape and plane setup. I'm not wild about the sights either but those can be replaced.

Where did gaston's design come from?
whistle.gif

coming from a glock armorer, i feel the glock design is great to teach new shooters. It is basically a revolver but in semi auto form. you dont want to shoot, take finger off trigger and the glock is safe.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Blackops_2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Where did gaston's design come from?
whistle.gif
</div></div>
I dont know where you are going with that comment so you tell me. Are you referring to a Polymer pistol, a striker fired pistol, grip angle, ease of use, serviceability, extreme reliability, cheap to purchase...or combining all of those into one pistol? In everything in life there is imitation, its the greatest form of flattery. Rarely do you see ground breaking designs come along and change the direction of an industry. Being a 1911 guy, you are familiar with one of those designs. Glock is another one. But you missed the point I was trying to make. I dont care what you shoot. Master YOUR weapon system and dont worry about what the next guy is doing. I am not an armorer or collector, Im a shooter. My issued side arm is an HK. Never had a problem with that gun. Has never had a stove pipe, FT feed/fire. Not a single hickup. But when I get home and take the uniform off, the glock goes in the appendix carry and thats what I carry. I prefer it over the HK for the controls, weight, recoil management and round count. Thats not to knock the HK that costs twice as much. I can get that HK for the same price as a glock with MIL/LE discount, but I prefer the Glock. To each their own.

It was a serious question haha wasn't intended to be sarcastic. I wasn't missing the point, i understand completely and your right. I was just pointing out why people talk about the aesthetics of a glock.

I hate my 19 but as I shoot it better Than my Sigs , Kimbers and H/K . Ill keep it because Its the first pistol id grab its never failed. I have run alot of " Tacticool" pistols over the year . But ill stick with my second gen Glock.

I own Glocks, HKs, SIGs, Steyrs, Walthers, FNs, and have owned several other handguns (Ruger, S&W, etc).

I'm a quality fanatic, if it isn't well made I don't want it. Also, if it doesn't work reliably I don't want it.

I shoot best with my Walthers, but Glocks are really easy to shoot accurately and are very reliable. When any of my other firearms would soft strike a round with a hard primer, I would always load it in my 17 and invariably it would work. Granted, this only happened about 4 times in shooting, but still... it's a nice comfort zone.

....because Glocks are simple and easy.....and 10mm swayed me to them....

Jim D, I Just picked up a Gen 4 G17 with a spent casing dated 3/12/12 meaning she's pretty new. What if anything in should I watch for or check out?
Thanks,

So far have 600rds through my 21 gen 4 without a malfunction which is expected. It's fun to shoot (i shoot it alright). Though after holding a M&P i immediately regretted going with glock, now granted the 21 has 13rd capacity versus the M&P45 which only has 10, still the M&P just felt so much better in my hand. Don't get me wrong i like my glock alot, just that 640$ with just 3 mags vs 590$ with 3 mags, holster, and mag pouch is weighing in the back of my mind. Granted the mag pouch and holster that comes with the M&P range kit aren't that great, they would work for the range. I was honestly baffled at how comfortable it was. I thought it was more comfortable than any 1911 i've held yet. That might be do to the fact i have tiny hands and regular grips on a 1911 are too big for my thumb to hit the mag release without manipulating the weapon.

Simplicity. At first I didn't care for them. Gritty trigger, unnatural grip, mag release not lefty friendly. But, all those are easily correctable issues. I have owned 1911s, Rugers, a Walther and HKs. I like to be versatile, and currently I have no choice because we are issued G22s at work, and there is no latitude for anything else. So you can say that over the years they have grown on me. Now I am looking for a new (to me, it can be used) G32 or G23(converted)for off duty carry. I am also of the type that cant leave well enough alone. A set of night sights, and a smoother trigger, with either a lefty mag release, or one that is less likely to be activated by a left handed grip, and I think I will be very happy.

I still like Sig, HK, and all the others. As much as the Glock fan club wont admit it, but Glock is not the only pistol that can withstand serious abuse. I have seen torture tests for Glock, HK and Sig. If you try hard enough, you will get failure in all makes and models. I look at it this way. I am not going through combat, and even in combat, at what point are you packing you weapon in wet sand, or freezing it in a block of ice. I highly doubt I will be firing a "defensive string" of 10k+ rounds before I get a chance to clean it. I am too OCD to let a pistol go that far. Rifle is a diffrent story. Somehow if a 500 ft fall takes place, the pistol may survive, wont matter if I am attached to it. If I need it, draw, point, shoot, bang! Meets my qualifications.

One of the biggest reasons, aside from reliability, they are very affordable. So you get all that reliability for a very good price, it easily justifies your choice.

A set of night sights is definitely a "must have" on the list of glock accessories. I absolutely hate the stock sights. I've been actually looking at the Haley Skimmer trigger for my G21. Reduces the overall travel of the trigger, pull weight down to 4-4.5lbs, and the amount of force needed to break the trigger or get over the "wall" as travis puts it. Seems like a worthy upgrade to me, though i know how some feel about Travis.

Desert the Gen 4s have switchable RH or LH mag releases.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/bWEnIJ3VUOQ"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/bWEnIJ3VUOQ" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

There is a reason so many police departments use glocks. They are great guns simple and easy to use they wont fail you. That being said there are other great options out there but the glock is what I use personally and trust my life to.

Their beauty is in their simplicity. Break one down and the are remarkably simple. I went through a phase where I had to have several very fancy 1911's. They are an incredible pistol and I can make smiley faces on a target with one but they are heavy and limit you to 8 rounds. A buddy let me shoot his G19 and the range and within a month I got rid of the 1911's and bought two G19's. Have bought and sold a bunch of Glocks since then but settled on the G19's and G29. Have never had a failure of any kind with them. They are only $400 or so for a used one and you can always get your money back if you don't like it...

Ask DEA guys why...

For me, it's an AK of pistols, designed to be abused. No, it's not for everyone, but its reliability record under myriad of curcumstances is legendary.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VYD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ask DEA guys why...

For me, it's an AK of pistols, designed to be abused. No, it's not for everyone, but its reliability record under myriad of curcumstances is legendary. </div></div>

DEA Agents use them ...like this one !
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmRN00KbCr8

Why Not Glock?????????? Thats gonna be the question to answer.

So after all this time I would like to inform all of you Glock owners that you are a bunch of fools. Are you kidding me? I bought a G27 Gen 4 for 400 bucks and I gotta tell. Not worth it..................

Whisper:

OK now that the wife is gone. I could not be happier with this gun. Next is the G19 and then the G35 perhaps for some comp shooting.

Thanks for some advice. I think I will always own a Glock for the rest of my life.

Are you still reading this in your whisper voice? I bet you are.

THANKS GUYS!

I have several Glocks. All 3rd gen., one early 2nd. The early one, it has had a ridiculous number of rounds fired from it since the '80's when it was built. But it still works just fine and it is fairly accurate too, having only springs and some small parts changed over the years. They hold up well. They have been having problems with some of their newer stuff though, 4th gen. and such. Just a heads up. Not sure if any of the new G27's are problematic.

Trigger? It is a Glock trigger. You can do some polishing and some work or spring swaps and make it a little smoother, a little crisper, but it will still be a Glock trigger. The good thing is that it is a Glock trigger. What I mean, is that it will always feel the same no matter what, shot after shot.

My carry pieces are a G29 or a G27, both in Milt Sparks VM2 holsters on a good gun belt. I only carry one or the other. I like the G29 the most, I shoot it the most and it has less recoil as well as being quite a bit more accurate over the G27. The 10mm Glocks, mine anyway, are real accurate pistols. The G27 hides better though so I tend to wear it in the summer. The G29 is actually the size of the G19 but wider.

G27 is a good choice for carry, it has a lot of power in a small package and it also accepts the 15rd. G22 mags. I use those for spares and have the +1 pinkie ext. on the short mags. I have the ext. on the G29 mags too, I just like having 'em. Some don't, but they tend to hide fine with them. I also put a set of Trijicon night sights on my pistol. The factory sights suck, but other than that they are good to go from the box.

I kind of got into Glocks a long time ago, I feel real comfortable with one. I mean, I know it will work if I need it to and it has pretty predictable performance. I like that.