• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Utah Shooter

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 11, 2010
SL UT
In the market for a new CC. I have been eyeing the Glock 27 and finally held one today. Just curious why so many love Glock? I do not see anything real special about them.

Re: Why Glock?

They flat out work, try before you buy, a G27 would not be my advice for a first time Glock buyer.

Love my Gen 4 G27, works every time and crazy accurate for such a short barrel.

They are reliable and almost fail proof. Easy to field strip, clear and break down. I own a 17. Its was my first handgun. Now its not my favorite because it doesnt fit my hand right. I have trouble quickly getting to the magazine release. For CCW I perfere the walther pps. I like the trigger and sights, It is one of thinnest guns on the market. That gun never leaves my side. I am a thinner build and there is no silloute. Just my opinion.

If they fail and you have experience throwing bricks you will always be deadly with it. If you want something better go with the M&P which does not use plastic guide rods like the brick.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I own a 17 </div></div>

You scared me there for a second EMB when I first read that I thought you were saying you owned 17 Glock pistols. I was gonna say man someone likes their glocks. Alot of people like glocks and alot dont. I actually know a guy that has or used to have before he got hard up for money every model of glock available in the US so in 9mm he had the 26,19, and 17 and so on. Anyway personally I respect Glock and have owned several models and claibers. They are very reialble functioning guns, feed pretty much whatever you give them and are easy to maintain ie dont really need to be ran wet or tweaked to get them to work. Personally now though I really like my Sig, as I said Glocks are good and I respect them but they just arent as comfortable to me anymore. Try out that 27 if you can, the nice thing you can do is purchase a conversion barrel if you get a 40 cal or 357 cal glock. So in your case if you buy a Glock 27 chambered in .40 S&W you could but the glock 33 barrel allowing you to shoot 357 sig if you wanted or better yet get a 26 barrel and some 9mm mags and practice with less expensive ammo. Good luck whichever you decide these days there are tons and tons of options for CCW.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: strangedays</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If they fail and you have experience throwing bricks you will always be deadly with it. If you want something better go with the M&P which does not use plastic guide rods like the brick.
</div></div>

Care to point out a broken plastic Glock guide rod? One ever stop a Glock from running?

The M&P's haven't really exhibited the best track record so far, so I'm not sure why you think it's "better" than a Glock.

There is plenty to not like about Glocks, but complaining about plastic guide rods that don't break is hardly a meaningful criticism.

I have 17, 19, 22, 26. Never had any mechanical issues with them at all. They are built to be simple and work, as such they do a great job. But just like 1911's its a love or hate thing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jim D</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: strangedays</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If they fail and you have experience throwing bricks you will always be deadly with it. If you want something better go with the M&P which does not use plastic guide rods like the brick.
</div></div>

Care to point out a broken plastic Glock guide rod? One ever stop a Glock from running?

The M&P's haven't really exhibited the best track record so far, so I'm not sure why you think it's "better" than a Glock.

There is plenty to not like about Glocks, but complaining about plastic guide rods that don't break is hardly a meaningful criticism. </div></div>
Based on your own criticism I doubt you know much about them. I had two break one jammed the slide so bad it was the biggest PITA to remove. It is only a $20 part but regardless. I have had more crap break on glocks than any M&Ps. The M&Ps have more rounds through them then the glocks I own. I sold all my Glocks and went to M&P but yes I still own a G22 and its been done over to replace the crappy parts. I agree with the post about how the only reason a person would buy a glock is because they can't afford the H&K well the M&P is a much better built gun. Better steel on the slide also. Plus if you shoot lead it won't blow up like the glock also. Plus if you look at the gen. 4 glock they had huge issues up front and have been trying to play catch up ever since. Buy once cry once!

I carry a G17 just about everywhere. I trust it. In about 10000 rounds of the cheapest commercial ammo I can find it has never even stove-piped on me once. My other handgun is a STI 1911 Spartan in .45 and I'm more accurate with it but I carry the 17.

I like Glocks. The ergonomics seemed WRONG at first, but I shot them faster and more accurately than other pistols. Now I love the ergos. Also, they seem so cheaply made, but after at least 25000 rounds through them, I'm yet to break ANYTHING on any of mine.

Lets see:

Run perfect with zero lube
Fully detail strip with something pointy
A full rebuild kit can be had for less than $75, and performed in the field
A chimp can be trained as an armorer
Trigger is always the same
Magazines from big brothers fit, for higher capacity
Essentially corrosion-proof
Have zero "collectability", so its ok to mistreat them
Cheap to buy
Lots of aftermarket support if you want to tune it up
sufficiently accurate
Safe, as long as you keep your finger iff the trigger until you're ready to shoot
magazines are cheap, and bombproof

And finally, Glock makes the best 10mm automatic out there.

++ ...i have several and carry a two of them on me everyday...simple, reliable, modular...

I was and still am looking at a gen 4 G19. There have been early problems with the RSA and it being to stiff (glock was shipping then initially with the same springs as the .40) and target ammo would sometimes fail to function reliably.

There was a voluntary exchange program by Glock for all gen 4 RSAs (besides the sub compacts) if it was bought before June 2011, you could exchange it for a new version for free. So obviously there was something to this issue.

Does anyone here own a gen 4 G19, and how has their experience been? Also what are the markings on your guide rod 0-3 or 0-4 or 0-4-1?

I prefer carrying an SAA, but a 26 I had as a tackle box gun just refused to do anything temperamental, so I kept it, even though it has no soul.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: strangedays</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If they fail and you have experience throwing bricks you will always be deadly with it. If you want something better go with the M&P which does not use plastic guide rods like the brick.
</div></div>

I would never, ever risk carrying an M&P. Maybe you had bad experiences - but you're the exception to the exception. There is no more reliable handgun, for the price range, than a Glock.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Utah Shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In the market for a new CC. I have been eyeing the Glock 27 and finally held one today. Just curious why so many love Glock? I do not see anything real special about them. </div></div>

They are simple, reliable, and dependable.

The Glock 19 9mm is my favorite Glock model. It is compact enough to conceal, large enough to control and shoot accurately.

About the only thing not to like is the trigger which is decent as plastic guns go, but doesn't hold a candle to a good 1911 trigger which is amazing.

If Glock could do a G19 with a trigger like a 1911 and a grip and thumb safety, that would be an excellent firearm.

Of course that would require a total redesign, because the Glock striker system forces the trigger to have significant pre travel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DrRansom</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: strangedays</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If they fail and you have experience throwing bricks you will always be deadly with it. If you want something better go with the M&P which does not use plastic guide rods like the brick.
</div></div>

I would never, ever risk carrying an M&P. Maybe you had bad experiences - but you're the exception to the exception. There is no more reliable handgun, for the price range, than a Glock. </div></div>

Interesting...I own both, I've carried both, but I prefer the M&P. Nothing against Glock, I just shoot the M&P better and it's proven to be reliable for me after several thousand rounds. I will point out that my Glock 30 had a broken trigger return spring after less than 5000 rounds. Not a big deal to fix, I probably just got a bad one from the factory and it's run flawlessly since I replaced it. But it would've sucked to have that happen in a middle of a gunfight...

run and gun with a G35 and a G22 in each of your boots and a 27 in each back pocket with a S&B as your spotter... Don't for get your AI in your drag bag and 12,000 rounds in your bug-out bag.. oh and don't forget SWFA kill flashes or lense cleaners

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They flat out work, try before you buy, a G27 would not be my advice for a first time Glock buyer.</div></div> got to agree with this...I own a 19 and 26 and they just work every time and under every condition with all types of ammo. Glock is the AK of pistol; they are not pretty but they just work hard.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: matthewusmc8791</div><div class="ubbcode-body">run and gun with a G35 and a G22 in each of your boots and a 27 in each back pocket with a S&B as your spotter... Don't for get your AI in your drag bag and 12,000 rounds in your bug-out bag.. oh and don't forget SWFA kill flashes or lense cleaners </div></div>

What, no sprinkling of magic dillo dust, too?

I just bought my first Glock a 20sf. I never really liked the looks of them, but I must say after shooting 500 rounds through it now I do like shooting it. It points very natural for me. I just sold my cz because I will never shoot it now after having a Glock. I'm not a great pistol shot and I can put most of the mag. into a 6" steel plate at 50 yards with mine. I don't have a bad thing to say about it other than the looks.

Well here is a couple of issues that I have with Glock. I have small hands so they seem rather bulky. The Trigger. I really do not like the trigger.

Of course I can replace it but the cost of the Glock is about the max of what I can spend.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Utah Shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well here is a couple of issues that I have with Glock. I have small hands so they seem rather bulky. The Trigger. I really do not like the trigger.

Of course I can replace it but the cost of the Glock is about the max of what I can spend. </div></div>

Have you tried the gen 4? I have very small hands, i mean like tiny. And the gen 4 21 and 22 was very comfortable to me. I really liked the trigger also, i've heard that the trigger on the gen 4s is a noticeable improvement over the gen 3s. I'm not sure on that one as i've only shot the gen 4s. But i liked the trigger a lot as opposed to the trigger on my S&W 6906, which i can't stand. There is also the 21 SF as well.

You get alot of bang for the buck in a Glock. I don't know how many people shoot USPSA, but if you notice people who can't afford an STI or SV shoot a Glock... Why?

Because they are fast! Seriously. In a game where only speed and accuracy count, you don't tend to get to play very well in the $500 range. Glock puts you in. They have a low barrel axis and don't rise much during recoil. There is little to no glare off the top of the slide even in bright daylight, and its very easy to keep your eye on the front sight. The trigger pull is short and crisp, and for less than $25 can be even shorter and lighter.

Top this with the fact that they are super simple and super reliable, and come in anything from 9mm up to 10mm, you have an awesome platform.

Now the only other gun on the market I have to give props to, that is in the same low price, high yield as the Glock is the S&W M&P Pro Series. In fact I give them an out of the box advantage over Glock because the trigger doesn't need any work and they come with Warren sights. Notice is did say only the Pro Series....

I have seen alot of shooters buy into other platforms and come back. Glock honestly sets the bar in a production handgun. Everyone else competes.

Light, relatively cheap compared to some other guns, proven track record, accurate enough for their purpose(and then some) and reliable. Personally, I love the 1911, but when I am carrying my G17 or G36 I feel just as safe.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: strangedays</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jim D</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: strangedays</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If they fail and you have experience throwing bricks you will always be deadly with it. If you want something better go with the M&P which does not use plastic guide rods like the brick.
</div></div>

There is plenty to not like about Glocks, but complaining about plastic guide rods that don't break is hardly a meaningful criticism. </div></div>
<span style="font-weight: bold">Based on your own criticism I doubt you know much about them.</span> I had two break one jammed the slide so bad it was the biggest PITA to remove. It is only a $20 part but regardless. I have had more crap break on glocks than any M&Ps. The M&Ps have more rounds through them then the glocks I own. I sold all my Glocks and went to M&P but yes I still own a G22 and its been done over to replace the crappy parts. I agree with the post about how the only reason a person would buy a glock is because they can't afford the H&K well the M&P is a much better built gun. Better steel on the slide also. Plus if you shoot lead it won't blow up like the glock also. Plus if you look at the gen. 4 glock they had huge issues up front and have been trying to play catch up ever since. Buy once cry once! </div></div>

Actually, I have a fair bit of experience with both...

I supervised a rental run of M&P's and Glocks for 2 years. Pretty much a complete run minus a the 10mm glocks, and the 24/17L's.

In 1 year we broke 2 trigger return springs on 2 different 9mm Glocks. These guns had approx 30-40k rounds through them that year, all on one magazine and recoil spring, and otherwise just RAN. We also blew up one 23C. Glocks in rotation included a 17, 19, 26, 22, 23, 23c, 27, 21, 21sf, 30, 30sf, 36, 32, 33, 34, 35 and a 37.

During that same period of time we ran 4 M&P's. Full size and compact 9's, and full size and compact 40's.

We blew up the full size .40, twice, breaking in exactly the same spot each time (frame cracked down past the take down lever, trigger guard stayed in one piece).

All of them except the .40 compact dropped magazines and needed to go back for the magazine catch upgrade.

The 9mm slide rail cracked (same spot at Todd Green's test gun broke - known manufacturing error).

One of the full-size guns, I think the 9mm, had it's extractor pin crack in half, so the broken half of the pin walked out of the bottom of the slide over and over again, we drove it back up into the slide each time we cleaned it and the gun continued to work.

The 9mm barrel blew up. It cracked just forward of the chamber, right in front of the barrel hood. It vented gas into the slide, and would only gun with a rock solid grip.

So, the .40 compact was the only gun of the 4 that didn't need to go back to the factory for repairs.

Compare that to 1 failure and 2 small parts breakages in (19) different Glocks (which were shot MUCH more than the M&Ps were).

This is just the rental performance... we saw lots of additional problems with customer guns.

In addition to that experience, I'm also a Glock Armorer, work for a Glock distibutor, and have 10k's of rounds through my own Glocks. I do know a thing or two about them.
wink.gif

I had about 3k through my M&P9 before I dumped it when it exhibited a number of magazine related feeding problems.

They have had numerous revisions to the strikers as they keep breaking on people, the magazine dropping problem affected pretty much every M&P made in the first two years of production, and the current crop has significant accuracy problems because the guns unlock far too quickly.

http://www.10-8forums.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=98784#Post98784

If you have pics of your broken guide rod, please do post them. I have never once seen or heard of this... and I've seen hundreds of thousands of rounds go through dozens of Glocks.

Glock is screwing up their reputation with the Gen 4 guns, no doubt about it. But S&W literally threw away whatever chance they had at taking over the market with the M&P with these endless problems they've had with them. To quote LAV they "snatched defeat from the jaws of victory" on the M&P by constantly trying to cut corners on it.

Glock <span style="font-style: italic">seems</span> to about have the Gen 4 problems figured out, but I still don't really recommend them in 9mm. An older production 2nd/ 3rd gen 9mm... they are some of the most reliable guns on the planet.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jim D</div><div class="ubbcode-body">*SNIP* </div></div>

Jim D, thanks for your post. Most of the posts in these threads are just one fanboy's worthless knocking of another's product. Your's actually relays real experiences you've had with data to back up your assertions.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Utah Shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well here is a couple of issues that I have with Glock. I have small hands so they seem rather bulky. The Trigger. I really do not like the trigger.

Of course I can replace it but the cost of the Glock is about the max of what I can spend. </div></div>

Have you shot one? You have to shoot one. Coming from an STI in .45 I agree the Gl17 felt bulky and I didn't like the trigger or lack of a thumb safety but when I got to the range I was making ragged holes with it... the more I shot great with it the more I liked it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JW Snydes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What endless problems have the M&P's had? I've never had any issue with my M&P9.</div></div>

Magazine dropping issues (now fixed), broken strikers (now supposedly fixed {for the 3rd or 4th time}), extraction problems in 9mm with WWB ammo, accuracy issues due to unlocking speed in the 9mm's.

There might be others, but those are the persistent one's I'm familiar with, personally.

JimD, I can't help but wonder if you would have a different opinion if you worked for a M&P distributor instead and were a M&P armorer?

We push somewhere in the neighborhood of 1.5 million rounds of .40 cal through Glock pistols at my facility annually. I've been carrying and shooting Glock .40 cal pistols since 1997 and have over 250K rounds through the platform. I've never broken a Glock myself, I've never seen a broken guide rod. I've seen frame rails shear off, just had one of my guys break one off of his RTF two days ago after probably 25K rounds through the gun.

Any pistol on the planet can have problems. As long as they are made by man they are subject to any number of potential problems at any time. Claiming the Glock design is faulty is beyond ridiculous. They're not perfect but they seem to do a pretty good job.

Jim, the only problem I have had (if you can call it that) is that there is a decent amount of loose play in the slide, side to side. Meaning that, at long range, the sights can be off enough to possibly miss.

I don't see that being possible; the sights are fixed in relation to each other. Kinda like a M16; the upper wiggles in relation to the lower.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Turk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't see that being possible; the sights are fixed in relation to each other. Kinda like a M16; the upper wiggles in relation to the lower. </div></div>

If the whole slide wiggled, then you would be right, but the front wiggles and the read barely does, also the tolerance between the slide and the barrel doesn't seem to be that tight. Inside of 25 yards it isn't a big deal.

I've also put a laser sight on it to confirm that the sights are constantly pointing in a slightly different direction than previous shots.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Turk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">JimD, I can't help but wonder if you would have a different opinion if you worked for a M&P distributor instead and were a M&P armorer?</div></div>
The place I work also does S&W, Springfield, Kimber, Sig, etc.

My opinion isn't based on what we sell there. We also sell SERPA holsters by the truck load, and I couldn't hate those things more.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JW Snydes</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Turk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't see that being possible; the sights are fixed in relation to each other. Kinda like a M16; the upper wiggles in relation to the lower. </div></div>

If the whole slide wiggled, then you would be right, but the front wiggles and the read barely does, also the tolerance between the slide and the barrel doesn't seem to be that tight. Inside of 25 yards it isn't a big deal.

I've also put a laser sight on it to confirm that the sights are constantly pointing in a slightly different direction than previous shots. </div></div>

Barrel to slide fit really drives accuracy (75%+), frame to slide fit doesn't really impact accuracy all that much (maybe 10-20% at most).

Glock because it's reliable, great for carry, accurate, easy to work on, and has a sh*t ton of aftermarket support.

Here's my 2 Glock 19s. One OEM, One TSD:
IMG_20120223_125145.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jim D</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JW Snydes</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Turk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't see that being possible; the sights are fixed in relation to each other. Kinda like a M16; the upper wiggles in relation to the lower. </div></div>

I've also put a laser sight on it to confirm that the sights are constantly pointing in a slightly different direction than previous shots. </div></div>

Barrel to slide fit really drives accuracy (75%+), frame to slide fit doesn't really impact accuracy all that much (maybe 10-20% at most). </div></div>

10-20 percent of what? Accuracy?

"Nothing special about them"--that is true, and I hate them, but I carry one every day. Every single day, I walk out of my house with a Glock 36 on my belt because I wouldn't trust my life and my family's life to anything else. For me, I guess you could say it is a necessary evil.

Just as I sidebar, I also own a Gov't model Ed Brown that I love, but it is too big, to heavy and to bulky to carry everyday.