• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Why have more than one rimfire?

kpgman79

Banhammer
Banned !
Minuteman
Feb 27, 2023
Texas
I am on the fence about selling one of my rimfire rifles. I have a Savage Mark II GXP that I used one season and hated the trigger so I upgraded to the Savage Mark II FV because of the accu trigger. I was kicking around the idea of buying a scope for the GXP and giving it another chance but I guess I don't see the reasoning behind multiple rimfire rifles. Is it worth messing with a trigger job and scope for the GXP?

If you ain't happy....get rid of it. There's always people who have little to no expectation of their equipment that will pick it up.

It's not like the any Savage is a $1K or more tackdriver rifle....typically a sub $500 meh ho hum hunting rig.

The gun performance/cost ratio is pretty much the same across all brands with a few exceptions. Why people think they can compare a $500 rig to a $1,000 rig to a $2500 rig baffles me.

Sure some guns are pretty bitch guns that have more emphasis on looks than on paper performance.....but when we look at a genre of firearms (i.e. target guns) the price is usually indicative to its performance.

Again, if your Savage sucks. Move on. There's blatantly higher performance price points available to you.

If you don’t like it, set it free and put that money into something else instead of sinking more into it. Rimfires are like golf clubs, you can only use one at a time but it’s great having a selection of options to choose from that fit the needs of the situation.

I’ve got the range from a JC Higgins single shot that shoots shorts, longs and LR’s all the way up to a full custom RimX. Everything has its place, but typically the higher the price the better the performance till you hit the point of diminishing returns.

Last edited:
because tomorrow is not like today and the day after is going to be what it going to be 22lr's are normally cheap easy to buy fun to use and the ammo is not that expensive and it's easier to get the ammo for so why limit yourself to only one hand bag or pair of shoes .

the more the merrier .

Resons for multiple rifles...

1) different weight/cost for different uses (eg squirrel gun vs PRS rig)
2) redundant versions of similar class...(loaners, backups, kids)
3) heirlooms and/or collector value...(self explanatory)

Nothing wrong with having multiple 22LRs

No point in having systems that don't fit your plans tho.

why do we have multiple centerfire rifles?

i'd spend exactly $0 on a savage anything expecting it to help

they're $200 savage mk2 to begin with. no matter how much you throw at it do you really think it's going to outperform even a cheap CZ

if a scope helps the purpose which i assume is hunting? then great. but just dont expect a miracle

Having more than one on 22 range days just makes things more fun. Wife and I can have blasting day with 10/22's shooting 5 buck ammo one day, a little more precision day shooting a couple Kidd rifles, or break out the bolt guns, Rim X and Vudoo for some money wagering.
She refuses to shoot a sporter rifle though with 5 rd cap mags, lol

If you don’t like it, set it free and put that money into something else instead of sinking more into it. Rimfires are like golf clubs, you can only use one at a time but it’s great having a selection of options to choose from that fit the needs of the situation.

I’ve got the range from a JC Higgins single shot that shoots shorts, longs and LR’s all the way up to a full custom RimX. Everything has its place, but typically the higher the price the better the performance till you hit the point of diminishing returns.
I'll have you know I dual wield! :LOL:

• Haha
Reactions: iceng
Your asking the wrong place. Guys here run rimfires where just the triggers cost more than that savage.

The general answer here will be not to stick money into it and save for something better if you want another rifle. Or spend the money on ammo for your savage fv.

Multiple .22’s isn’t a problem. One of the .22’s I have is the same fv you have. It’s a phenomenal shooter. It resides along side a T1X and B14R. It has its place
46B164DB-6ADA-4FCB-B84D-638585F06EFB.jpeg

Yup. I've only got 3 rimfires now: B14R (lefty) that is a virtual clone of my precision centerfire. It serves as a trainer and a short range precision rig. I've got a built up 10/22 that I like to use for NRA Smallbore and similar precision-ish gaming.

And finally, my mostly stock 10/22 that's an all-around critter gitter and my dedicated Appleseed rifle.

They all have their place and they're each tailored to fairly specific jobs
22 rifles.jpg

Last edited:
Because rimfires are like potatoe chips, you can't have just one. I think I've got eight just off the top of my head. Then there's the pistols to consider. Not sure how many rimfires are in the stable total.

I'm considering a bigger 22 revolver now as a practice gun for my X frame.

Point being, never let anyone tell you you have too many 22's.

4 .22lr rifles, 3 .22lr pistols, and 1 .22 WMR Rimfire.
To be fair, all but one rifle and one pistol were either inherited or gifts.

Reactions: nikonNUT
I think I’m at 6 currently and want to add another one or two this year. I need to replace the 22mag I gave back and probably build out some sort of 10/22 variant.

Reactions: Moose
My wife and I like to shoot together so we typically bring two to the range.

That said, if you don't think you will need it, sell it.

Reactions: nikonNUT
Just like centerfires there a lot of different purposes for 22’s precision stuff like we talk mostly about here, steel challenge, hunting ,casual plinking and more. Having a rifle for each of these roles, plus a back up in case of problems or as a loaner for a friend or new shooter, they can add up quickly

I tend to be in the "more is better camp" as I enjoy the experience of choosing which of rifles to take out for the day. My rifles vary in purpose though. i.e. One may be a lightweight sporter, one a PRS style rifle, one a bench rest shooter, Silhouette, etc. I currently own over a dozen quality 22's and never get bored. The down side is that I rarely get enough trigger time behind any one rifle to realize both our potentials.

As to the original question, I've never been a fan of putting $ into a rifle (or pistol) I don't love. In the end, all I get is a more expensive gun that I don't love ( and the inability to recoup my upgrade $)
My advice is to sell the Savage and upgrade to a CZ457 or a Bergara or...

You can never have enough rimfire rifles they are just too much fun to only own one.

Reactions: Cowpokey
I started with Marlin .22 as a kid and kept going with them.

Now I have all those as a kid and (2) open guns, RimX and Vudoo and a Production CZ 457. Choices

Reactions: Moose
I think I’m at 6 currently and want to add another one or two this year. I need to replace the 22mag I gave back and probably build out some sort of 10/22 variant.
To me the 10/22 is the rifle I have the most fun with.And when I got a Kidd SG it took it to a whole other level.

lol OP with the banhammer already

Yep - came into this thread to raise some holy WTF, saw that the OP already caught a ban for his stupidity, and everything felt OK with the world for just a moment.

I'm not a fan of "red flag" laws, but anyone suggesting that I need only one rimfire gun clearly is not mental stable.

Just assembled this V22 Three 60 last week, and hell no I didn't sell anything else to make room for it:

PXL_20230303_015208342.MP.jpg

Yep - came into this thread to raise some holy WTF, saw that the OP already caught a ban for his stupidity, and everything felt OK with the world for just a moment.
I feel like I missed out on some entardtainment. :(
I'm not a fan of "red flag" laws, but anyone suggesting that I need only one rimfire gun clearly is not mental stable.

Just assembled this V22 Three 60 last week, and hell no I didn't sell anything else to make room for it:

View attachment 8093167
Congrats on the Three 60 and picking the most accurate color for it.
MPC.jpg

I feel like I missed out on some entardtainment. :(

Congrats on the Three 60 and picking the most accurate color for it.
View attachment 8093220

You didn’t miss to much, just someone didn’t play by the rules and caught the hammer for it. I mean I can see why though, can’t use a certain combo of words together in a none PX post.

Reactions: Cowpokey
I think he was banned for asking a stupid question. You can’t have too many of any caliber, unless it’s a Creedmoor.

• Love
  • Wow
Reactions: chevy_man and XP1K
RTH1800, beautiful 52’s there. When I was growing up, I shot smallbore competitively as a teenager, and even in college where there was a team. Back then a 52 or 40x was top shelf, unless you had anschutz money. I continued to shoot smallbore into my 30’s, but quit due to a high blood lead level ( back then most of my smallbore shooting was at small poorly ventilated indoor ranges, some of which were first built in the 1930’s!) but still appreciate those old classics. I used both a remi 37 and Winchester 52, and sort of miss Having one now. My last one, sold about 10 years ago was a 52 bull gun. I bought it from an elderly club member who quit shooting in his mid 80’s. The gun was pristine with vaver sights and a unertl optic, plus a hard case with all sorts of accoutrements including nra small bore rule books from the 40’s and 50’s. It was a time capsule to a mostly bygone era. I have been keeping an eye open for a 52 ( standard or heavy barrel, the bull gun weight was out of hand) but they are getting harder to find and more expensive ( what isn’t?)
my only old classic currently is a Remington 521-T which shoots pretty well. one of my local shooting groups adds an iron sight rifle stage to the end of our PRS style match and it is a perfect rifle for this.

Why do I have more than one?
...one more is never enough

Because .22's don't count as real guns so you can own as many as you like without having to at some point, start to make up excuses (lies) to yourself as to why you own them all. And once you've mastered that with rimfire's, you can start to apply it to centerfire. See, they're a training aid!

In rifles I have one .17M2, one 5mm Mag and one .22mag. And I honestly have no idea on .22LR. Because I don't need to, because they don't count!

I know I don't have any like the ones in this thread. Though lately I've been thinking about it, you know, cause I don't have one.

Last edited:
Reactions: XP1K
I have 7 rimfires now, but got rid of a few along the way. Each different gun has a specific use or price point.

However, any of my guns that don't shoot...hardly ever get used. When you think about it, I go to the range maybe 1 - 3 times per month for maybe 2 - 3 hours when time permits or the wind isn't howling Why would I waste my time shooting a gun that is a disappointment in some way.

Reactions: MarshallDodge
why pay 4k for a 22 , why own more than two pairs of pants cause you can , mostly cause you want to because one Pringle just isn't enough . I went with incase one broke I had 8 others to choose from lucky for me not a one of them cost more than 800 dollars and someone the cheapest shoot better than the more expensive ones .

Picked up a Cooper Jackson Squirrel Rifle today; my bucket list of .22lr just got a little more satisfied. Still waiting on scope mounts for it; going to put a Leupold 3-9x33 EFR on top with Warne rings (scope and rings were delivered today). Looking forward to shooting it, see how it stacks up to some of my other fancy .22lr rifles. It uses Anschutz magazines, so that helps...I have a bunch of them for my 64 and 54 rifles.

1691800056348.jpeg

1691800083213.jpeg

1691800104984.jpeg