• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Why is 6CM still available?

dms416

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 12, 2014
Central IL
6.5CM has been tapped out for a while. 308 seems to ebb and flow pretty well with the good stuff being harder to find steadily. It seems that PRIME has had 6CM for a while and I still see quite a bit of Berger and Hornady 6CM seems to steadily available.

Curious as to why this might be? Chambering not as popular among us factory ammo pleebs? 6mm people rolling their own or shooting something else? I'm just noticing this right before it gets hoovered up too?

I can totally see the 6cm not being popular as "go to" factory fodder. There are a shit ton more non-PRS type rifle shooters than anything else. In non-competitor eyes the 6cm is just another 243win.......a low recoil youth/woman cartridge lacking the raw power of a true hunting magnum cartridge.

Of course, those of us who don't use Guns & Ammo to determine our purchases.......are the wiser.

Or perhaps for those who do not compete and change barrels like they change their underwear (ok, maybe more frequently! haha), the shorter barrel life and "generally" less availability of 6 CM makes the 6.5 CM a more attractive choice?

most 6mms are a BR variant in competitions now

the prime is the old loading before the shit happened afaik

the berger 6CM 105 loading is anemic. no way id ever shoot a 6CM to push a 105 at only 2950

the berger 6CM 105 loading is anemic. no way id ever shoot a 6CM to push a 105 at only 2950

It has also not escaped my notice that pretty much Berger factory was the last man standing for most short action stuff....it was the last of the 6.5CM to go at my secret ammo haunt, and there's still some Berger 308 out there.

Is this more of a Berger problem than a 6CM caliber problem?

Probably because people who want to kill things want the 6.5 and most people shooting comps with custom rifles know the br variants are better. That leaves some new people getting into the sport and a few people who are sponsored for factory ammo shooting 6 creedmoor

Reactions: RRW and b6graham
It has also not escaped my notice that pretty much Berger factory was the last man standing for most short action stuff....it was the last of the 6.5CM to go at my secret ammo haunt, and there's still some Berger 308 out there.

Is this more of a Berger problem than a 6CM caliber problem?
the 6.5CM berger shoots 140/144 at 2890/2860 from my gun

so to me it seems its a 6CM problem for berger

the rest of the 6CM factory is around 3050-3100 which is appropriate

if i want to shoot a 105 at 2950 id be doing it with 8-10gr less powder from a dasher/bra/GT

The 6mm isn’t nearly as popular with the typical shooters out there. The long range / PRS guys know it’s better for distance but they typically load their stuff.

The 6mm people are like hipsters, always onto the latest thing... 😂

My guess - OId school hunters are loyal to 243win and talk shit about any other 6mm like 6cm. New school hunters spent too much on 6.5cm. Target shooters mostly shooting BR derivatives.

I have 3 6cm and am not complaining that I can still find ammo on the shelf if I need it. I've shot my GAP PPR 6cm to 1k consistently. First rifle hunting when I was a kid was a 243 and I have no issues using 6cm on whitetail.

On the berger 6cm 105 factory load comments - I found the SD on them to be higher than I would have hoped for Berger factory loads. Still have plenty of it but will be shooting it for breakin and the Lapua brass for the most part.

I just ordered a case of Prime 107’s from target sports. I thought they called out 3051 when I looked at the specs on the prime website but now the page is gone.

Peterson brass and SMK’s

The vendor still shows stock on hand

Target sports lists the Prime 6mm Creedmoor at 2340 FPS. Maybe that’s why it’s still available...

A0C9D61C-E665-4FD6-B978-E3864E3B6429.jpeg
I did some research to get verification on mv before ordering.I’m certain it’s a typoon their website.

So far- no one has come out with "cheap" ammo for it.... so not as appealing for lots of people to buy guns for it.

It's still available here as well- but give it a little time and it will be gone also. Lots of people are seeing it available and thinking they need a new gun.

Scheels in North Dallas has a good amount of 6mm. Riflegear, 2 miles down the road, has it as well. No sign of 308 or 6.5 down here.