• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Why is Arc' Teryx so damn expensive?

Re: Why is Arc' Teryx so damn expensive?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: downrange914</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: brutus1776</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Must be a UK thing brother....

In the US the only restriction on the LEAF line is it cant be shipped out of the US. (as far as I know </div></div>

Wow - would be interesting to note whether that is the case - a bit OTT for a piece of clothing in my opinion.

I know if you place an order for one of the Vectronix devices they ask if you're ever going to export it which is understandable ... but for an ANORAK ???? </div></div>

What are you talking about Willis. Lantac sell them.

http://www.lannertactical.com/LanTac-Online-Shop/Clothing-Protection-Equipment.html

I hate to chase sales but you can get some great stuff at a good price by watching First Ascent gear on eddiebauer.com and at their stores.

Yea, North Face, Arc, etc. make some nice stuff but the prices....

BTW COSTCO is stocking a pretty nice Marmot shell for $120 right now.

I'm a functional apparel person by profession.
ArcTeryx LEAF is crazy expensive but, by far, the best kit money can buy. If your life depends on it, the costs becomes very secondary. Most of us don't have to rely on our apparel for our survival...for us, other manufacturers offer decent kit. Unfortunately ArcTeryx has been bought and taken over by a moronic French holding company that really doesn't know what they're doing....so get the LEAF stuff while you still can.
As for Beyond, they have been purchased by 511. The good news is that former soldier and Natick wonk Rick Elder has been brought in to run the Beyond group- he knows his stuff and is good people. Beyond Acquired by 5.11
If you can't afford ArcTeryx, check out Sitka Gear - as someone has already mentioned- their designer came from ArcTeryx and really knows about articulation and a fully integrated, layered system of dress that is purpose made for hunting, shooting.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KillZone45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I ended up buying this http://www.ottegear.com/catalog-detail.php?p=57. I think it will fir my needs for the time being. But after starting this thread I have learned a few things regarding why high end clothing manufacturers charge what they charge. I will always keep that in mind from now on. </div></div>

Otte Gear is good kit but it's not even close to ArcTeryx LEAF. I have a great CadPat parka from Otte that I wear most of winter...it's fantastic stuff, no doubt, and the folks that make it are sharp.....but LEAF is on the next, expensive, shelf up from Otte.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PDXGS</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KillZone45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I ended up buying this http://www.ottegear.com/catalog-detail.php?p=57. I think it will fir my needs for the time being. But after starting this thread I have learned a few things regarding why high end clothing manufacturers charge what they charge. I will always keep that in mind from now on. </div></div>

Otte Gear is good kit but it's not even close to ArcTeryx LEAF. I have a great CadPat parka from Otte that I wear most of winter...it's fantastic stuff, no doubt, and the folks that make it are sharp.....but LEAF is on the next, expensive, shelf up from Otte. </div></div>

I'm not sure all the Dead Bird LEAF series is any better than OTTE Gear or a couple others making high end gear. The materials seems to make some of the difference from what I own, seen and handled. I have some LEAF stuff, Otte Gear and also Wild Things Tactical to give a fair comparison. It's a toss up on the different shell materials used as there's differences for each particular item for their cut/fit/purpose.

I look, shop and compare across the lines and buy what I feel is right at the time. I'll buy from the three companies I mentioned above in a heartbeat so long as the item's doing what I want it to. I also own a pile of stuff too that still gets used.