• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s why is it that shooting prone attracts retards?

usmc02xx

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 19, 2012
Locust Grove GA, USA
i can bench shoot all day and no one says a word to me. let me bring the bag and shoot comfortably and every hillbilly in 30 mile radius has a question.

No, im not teaching/disussing with you how to..
1. use your own scope (up really does mean up and if you dont know what moa means read a book)
2. explain basic marksmanship
3. discuss reloading your favorite wildcat cartridge
4. tell you how to make your AR full auto illegally (i don't care what your brother who is a class 3 dealer told you...)
5. praise your POS ak, sks, 30-30 lever action or w/e other piece of crap you got. Same for your scope.
6. relive your fantasies about shooting black powder rifles and killing buffalo FFS its 2012 hillbilly.
7. explain to you how the south was right
8. have a long discussion on political topics that you obviously only read about on a bumper sticker
9. care about what you did in the coast guard
10. explain to you why wearing a drop leg holster is retarded, especially at a public range where you cant draw from it anyway.

And if I do explain that its not the rifle its you, work on your body position and NPOA dont tell me I'm crazy and you have been shooting since you were 5. You were doing it wrong then, your still doing it wrong. If you dont want the truth then go back to your bench and stfu.

Is it just me, or does everyone have to deal with crazy people?

Re: why is it that shooting prone attracts retards?

Why does shooting prone attract retarded threads?

damn, didnt mean to get the shankster posting on trivial stuff. sorry man. venting. arent you needed in the shout box for something? :)

I used to run into that a lot at the last range where I was a member but it was a range limited to 200 yards. At my 1000 yard range I have yet to be questioned. I may hear a few wild qualifications or personal histories from time to time but those are rare... and dare I say more believable??? Sometimes anyway.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: usmc02xx</div><div class="ubbcode-body">damn, didnt mean to get the shankster posting on trivial stuff. sorry man. venting. arent you needed in the shout box for something? :) </div></div>

fbz_1808b59159259ba2bf3696fe57755408.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold">Cheers, man.</span>

As an R.S.O. I get an interesting perspective on this phenomenon. I watch the serious precision marksmen trying to put good shots down range, then I laugh as I watch the idiot with a sks try to hit the next target over, cross firing onto the precision shooters target. That being said, the prone precision types at my range are more than happy to give pointers to kids and those willing to listen AFTER they have run their ammo dry for the day and ONLY if they have both extra time and the unlimited membership.

help kids sure. help a person when im not busy, sure. play grabass and be your personal instructor... no. i swear i have had people tap me on the should when im in the middle of s string to bs abut something lol. at least wait for a cold range.

I'm sure that everyone seems some of this, but i get the feeling that my old, bald, fat self hears a lot more than normal.

That has happened to me too. I normally tell them to bug off until the range goes cold. Luckily I have a brother who also shoots. Which ever one of us is spotting also has the responsibility of keeping the "flies" off.

You might hear more than normal, who knows. I don't get too much of that, but then again, the range I go to requires you to take a written test and qualify with a group under 1moa to shoot at the 1000yd range, then you have to sign up and pay the yearly fee. So that usually weeds out the fuckin idiots. I've been to the 1000yd part of the range twice so far, and both times I was the only one there all day besides the RSO. Gotta fuckin love it.
smile.gif

I tell you my story, range master at our local range leaves his son in charge. Know nothing of guns and shooting. I just had gotten my 260 put back together in A-5 Stock and had my tab gear order come in. rear bags and shooting mat. We have nice benches but they are concrete and very rough around the edges. You will bleed with alot of shots. 2 people other than myself are shooting and they are my close friends. We are all taking turns shooting at my steel plates and we are spotting for each other. No one wants to go check targets just whenever like most strangers you see at a range. Me and one guy are shooting prone and the other is on the bench. Range guy is out there with his air horn and spinning red light with a timer to tell when the range is cold. He says we can't shoot prone because it is un safe. I ask how and he says we might shoot a bench. We are between benches but the muzzle is out from them. After 5 minutes of us shooting at the bench to make him happy he tells us we can co check our targets. Range is cold. No one else is there. We say" it's ok, we check it with our spotting scopes every shot" He asks if we are shooting at steel. I say say yes. between 450 yds and 800 yds. He says thats against the rules, first no prone at steel because it can richochete. And second no steel targets alowed. That really gets me because at the 600 yd benchrest match every month. You get 2 min on the giant steel targets with small dots painted to be good an paper. If I bring my bench gun out I can shoot the steel all day but if I bring my hunting or field rifle out in the same caliber and shoot prone I get questioned to hell and back and asked to stop. This guy has his same story all the time about how he won the .22 egg shoot against 3 other people. Which was before the precision 22 guys took over. Went from 25-50 yds to 50-150 yds. Go prone and go home is our little joke about him. Now I shoot when no one is there. The 22 guys hate me too. THey won;t shoot at the 100 yd berm like they are supposed to. They shoot late when I shoot and they gripe when I show up to shoot because they didn't bring their ear muffs and they bitch. I went to wallmart and bought a big box of ear plugs for em. Told em they can shove em up their ears or their ass. I don;t care. My rant. haha

The first time I shot my new suppressor on my bolt gun, the RSO yells out, "Cease fire...Who had a squib load?". The guy at the bench to my left proudly announces, "The guy shooting on the ground next to me".

I shoot elsewhere now.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: usmc02xx</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i can bench shoot all day and no one says a word to me. let me bring the bag and shoot comfortably and every hillbilly in 30 mile radius has a question.

1. use your own scope (up really does mean up and if you dont know what moa means read a book)
4. tell you how to make your AR full auto illegally (i don't care what your brother who is a class 3 dealer told you...)
5. praise your POS ak, sks, 30-30 lever action or w/e other piece of crap you got. Same for your scope.
6. relive your fantasies about shooting black powder rifles and killing buffalo FFS its 2012 hillbilly.
8. have a long discussion on political topics that you obviously only read about on a bumper sticker
10. explain to you why wearing a drop leg holster is retarded, especially at a public range where you cant draw from it anyway.
<span style="color: #FF0000">11. Just because you spray painted your pencil-barreled R770 camo, doesn't mean I want to talk about your "sniper rifle".</span>
</div></div>

ah thank god, its not just me. Dont even get me started on RSO issues Robert. I swear our normal RSO is one step from a helmet and wheelchair.

RSO? Registered Sex Offender?
wink.gif
I know...just couldn't pass it up!

So far haven't had many 'tards bother me, although some people at the range are so clueless it's scary.

However, the new RSO at the local range is one of those motor mouth guys that just doesn't get it. No, I'm not interested in buying your piece of junk car. Am I interested in the fact that if I put 10K in the bank today, that it will be worth 300K in 20 years. First off, not true with today's interest rates, and... why are you telling me this?

Got stuck with the guy last weekend when I was in near the middle of the lanes and this guy just doesn't seem to have a filter. I suspect he won't last long... I figure he'll be running his jaw when one of the clueless range folk does something stupid and it will be all over. The other employees seem OK, though.

Is that a MIL spec scope?

And "send it" . fucking send it!! Just shoot asshole! We dont all need to hear it, followed by a long silence before your wobbly ass bumps into the trigger.

just remember, those retarded RSO's have to make sure the same tacticool, mall ninja, redneck retards dont shoot themselves or others. while you have to deal with the idiocy for a few hours, they deal with it the entire day. i imagine being that close to stupidity kills a few brain cells just by association.

I've been told by an RSO that I can't use my suppressor. When asked why he told me cause they are dangerous. Same range made me qualify @ 50 yards to shoot @ 200 yards; 5 shots on paper. He argued that I didn't do what he asked because there was only one hole in the target.

Needless to say that was the first and last time....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RedGoat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've been told by an RSO that I can't use my suppressor. When asked why he told me cause they are dangerous. Same range made me qualify @ 50 yards to shoot @ 200 yards; 5 shots on paper. He argued that I didn't do what he asked because there was only one hole in the target.

Needless to say that was the first and last time.... </div></div>

emo30.gif

its nice living in nevada. i can draw from a drop leg holster if i want. i can rapid fire. i can shoot prone. i can shoot full auto. i can shoot backwards between my legs with a .50 cal on the ten yard berm if i want hahahah.

there is no rso at my local city range.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: battle-scarred</div><div class="ubbcode-body">its nice living in nevada. i can draw from a drop leg holster if i want. i can rapid fire. i can shoot prone. i can shoot full auto. i can shoot backwards between my legs with a .50 cal on the ten yard berm if i want hahahah.

there is no rso at my local city range. </div></div>

Nor my back yard!

Bob

I once had a guy come up and ask if my AR-15 was for sale... I was shooting my AK that day, and it was the only rifle I had brought.

I have a local public range I go to fairly regularly. There is one regular guy that is there just about every day but talks ten times as much as shoots.

He constantly refers to me as a "sniper" no matter how many times I tell him I work at a power plant. When I shoot any group inside of two inches at 100yds he goes on and on about how good a shot I am and how he doesn't understand why I'm upset with myself for fliers.

He's pleased as punch shooting dinner plate targets with bulk Wolf/TulAmmo out of his "precision" stock R700 at 100yds. When he asks for tips (I am usually the most knowledgeable at this range which is scary) and I suggest a bipod, rear bag, better ammo, technique, he just looks at me like I suggested screwing a turtle.

He constantly comments about how he wishes he could afford my toys (which ARE nice), but when I offer to let him try them he always turns me down.

*Rant off*

Position or bench, it doesn't matter. You think <span style="font-style: italic">you</span> attract nut-jobs?

"Whuffo you need that much rifle, buddy?"

"Because of people like you."

Had a RSO at an informal IDPA shoot tell me I couldn't compete because.......it would be irresponsible to let a one-armed man in a wheelchair shoot!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jwSubMOA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Had a RSO at an informal IDPA shoot tell me I couldn't compete because.......it would be irresponsible to let a one-armed man in a wheelchair shoot! </div></div>

Did you have a well-timed, witty response? Please say yes!

The RSO at the public range here is a pretty good guy. I let him run some rounds through my Garand and 1903 one day and now he always comes out to check out what Im shooting, how Im shooting, and tell me where people left brass.

That said the people that use the public range here are some of the most useless people I have ever seen. Our public range is free and it is a really nice place to shoot, or was. You cant give people nice things for free in this town because it gets destroyed. Blowing holes in the steel handgun targets with 7.62x39s at 25 yards, shooting the target stands, shooting the up rights that hold the steel plates for rifle shooting, shooting the benches, shooting the yardage markers, shooting the trash cans....if it doesnt move and you can walk up to with in 2 yards it has a bullet hole in it.

Last weekend I went to sight in new 280 Remington, I hadnt fired it yet and just put the scope on it that morning. I took 10 rounds with me. When I got set up there was a couple guys shooting a 300 win mag with a 10-40 Tasco scope at 25 yards, trying to sight it in. I bore sighted my 280 really quick and was on paper at 100 yards with my first shot...made the adjustments and was hitting 1" high at 100 with the 2nd through 5th shot. Meanwhile these guys finally get there 300 where they want it and only had one bullet left, they asked if they could shoot my target at 100 instead of running down and tacking up a target....Sure why not your 1" high at 25 so that should land you about 10" high at 100. I guess someone had told them at one time if they sighted in like that they would be dead on at 200 and 1" high at 100. So I was watching my target when they shot and saw the bullet strike where I figured it would. We all walk down and dip shit #2 says to the shooter man your right in the bullseye thats perfect. I said no you guys are up over here 3" right and 10" high...they didnt believe me but hell what do I know I wasnt watching through my rifle scope or anything. After they left I picked up <span style="font-weight: bold">40 </span> once fired 300 win mags from their bench 39 of which were shot at the 25 yard target and 1 at my 100 yard target.

Once in a while I take my long range rifles to that range and shoot the 500 yard plate. Last time I was there with my 300wsm some guy comes over while Im smacking the hell out of the plate at 500 yards and asked what I was shooting at I pointed it out and he says gosh that must be 1000 yards I havent heard you miss yet, I just smiled and said its pretty easy when the target isnt moving, he walks back over to his bench, a little while later I get a 7-30 waters TC contender pistol out and started landing bullets on the 500 yard plate same guy comes over and says your not hitting that plate with that pistol are you, no sir the bullets are hitting it Im just sending them out there with this pistol....says wow I cant believe you can shoot a pistol that accurate at that distance you should go on that Top Shot show on history channel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dk17hmr</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> you should go on that Top Shot show on history channel. </div></div>

Lol, to be perfectly honest, I don't know how those people get on that show. Almost all of them are terrible shots.
whistle.gif

I actually have a buddy that mounts a rubber dildo on his rifle's quad rail just to jack with dudes at the local range when we can't make it out to Mica's 1,000 yard range. It's on a QD base of a company that makes an awesome armadillo spice rub.

I'm embarrassed, LMAO, and proud at the same time.

quad rail attachment of a dildo is pretty cool, but dont you think it belongs on the bayonet lug? its more tactical and what not in that location.

I always get asked at least once, " Is that a sniper rifle?"
One guy was looking at my rifle and said really seriously
"that's a real nice weapon system." It is really hard not to laugh.

well... sheeyot. i guess thats possible. maybe its my charming demeanor that ropes them in
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Veer_G</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Position or bench, it doesn't matter. You think <span style="font-style: italic">you</span> attract nut-jobs?

"Whuffo you need that much rifle, buddy?"

"Because of people like you."</div></div>

why shooting prone attracks tards?? simple, you are laying down with your ass up, tards get all worked up when they see asses up.

Shooting prone at the public ranges around here means you are going to get huge red ants on you, so I am out in the desert.

I don't mind the talkers, I despise the people that have the same common sense as a coked out stripper. Shooting into the dirt at 25 yards at the 300 yard line. "Can you see the target now?" <guy holding the target while his wife looks through the scope with the bolt closed>

Or getting some guy complaining that you are shooting, when he is sitting at his bench, and it makes me make Fry eyes and say sorry. I don't get the taking the earpro off, on a firing line, then getting offended when someone pulls the trigger. So now, I yell out, FIRING, wait 3 seconds, then shoot, feels like I am starting an airplane engine "clear prop" or "clear" for the other ones. Who the fuck hangs out in front of an airplane, oh well, probably these same dip shits that take their earpro off.

So like I said, I am shooting in the desert again...

I do my best to get to the range EARLY. I do OCW testing and zeroing at a local Isaak Walton League range. Sometimes just punch holes in paper for fun. I often shoot prone and I shoot with suppressors. I'm always the first one there to set up at 930 to start shooting at 1000. I try to get done before noon, before the lunch hour shooters stop by and start asking me questions about what I'm shooting, whether or not I know that suppressors are illegal in Maryland or not allowed at the range (or my favorite question "is that a silencer?" usually said AFTER I've been shooting with it) and get engaged in long-winded conversations with people who generally know almost nothing about what I'm doing or shooting (THAT's LOUD, is that a fifty cal? Said about a .338 LM) much less what they are doing, but they're bugging me and I don't have a lot of free time to spare at MY hobby much less to spend engaging in random conversations with strangers.

That's what I do for a living (I'm a physician, mostly work Urgent Care), it's too much like work to try and figure out where someone's knowledge deficits are and plug the holes in the conversation and get it heading in a direction that has a conclusion and leads to them leaving.

So far though, I haven't encountered anyone telling me I have to shoot from a bench, but I have heard of others getting this kind of nonsense from self-appointed range nazis elsewhere.

Rant mode off.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: normbal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I try to get done before noon, before the lunch hour shooters stop by and start asking me questions about what I'm shooting, whether or not I know that suppressors are illegal in Maryland or not allowed at the range ... and get engaged in long-winded conversations with people who generally know almost nothing about what I'm doing or shooting ... much less what they are doing, but they're bugging me and I don't have a lot of free time to spare at MY hobby much less to spend engaging in random conversations with strangers.</div></div>

Didn't you know that going to the range is volunteer work? You're there to engage and entertain the irritatingly inquisitive idle and the opinionated, querulous retired.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Veer_G</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Didn't you know that going to the range is volunteer work? You're there to engage and entertain the irritatingly inquisitive idle and the opinionated, querulous retired.</div></div>

Enjoyed the exacting wordsmithing and lack of superfluous verbiage.

I do tend to make exceptions for much older vets.

I was at the range a few months back troubleshooting my 458 Socom. It wasn't cycling the bolt fully and I had spent the last 2 range trips experimenting with different loads. I was getting pretty frustrated. A husband and wife had asked to use my cleaning rod and a target. No problem. I help out when I can. A few more 458 rounds downrange and I'm pissed. I remove the upper and place it in the case along with the disassembled lower. The only thing on my shooting bench is the bolt carrier. The woman walks over to me and says "I'm not a range officer or anything, but you can be thrown out of here for touching your gun on a Cold Range." I was speechless as I was inspecting my gas rings.

I bought a barreled action recently from gunbroker for an elk rifle build. I asked the guy if it would shoot under moa...his reply was classic, he said I have no idea what that means but I can hit an 8" pie plate at 100 yds ALMOST every time with it. Needless to say I was slightly concerned until I shot the gun. It was also a blued fluted barreled action rem 700 which I have personally never seen and it turned out to be a SS Teflon rem custom shop gun. Needless to say I was pretty excited to pick this up, especially for $350. It turned out to be a shooter too, so it all ended well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pdogsbeware</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: usmc02xx</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i can bench shoot all day and no one says a word to me. let me bring the bag and shoot comfortably and every hillbilly in 30 mile radius has a question.

<span style="color: #FF0000">11. Just because you spray painted your pencil-barreled R770 camo, doesn't mean I want to talk about your "sniper rifle".</span>
<span style="color: #000099">12. I will take your rifel and show you ITS YOU NOT THE GUN
13. Im so much cooler that you because i have a boonie hat
</span>
</div></div> </div></div>

Was at range yesterday shooting my SPR,, I was at a rather large range in Jacksonville Fl right out side of 2 naval bases. of course the "NAVY SEALS" of the helo squads showed up with the "GATS" all decked out with their "hard cores". one of them (all) came over to check out my platform and they told me all the work they had done to theirs. and started shooting beside me to i guess show off what they could do.
i wanted to take their weapon and shove it so far up their ass frigging idiots. who ever trained them in the use and operation of firearms needs to be drug out in the street and baried to their neck on a interstate.

lets see hoe fast we can fire our guns and talk about all the bad ass ways we are snipers. a VERY good friend of mine i made in my times in the service whore the trident and lost his life in service, i get so pissed at ass holes like that.

]

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shankster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I actually have a buddy that mounts a rubber dildo on his rifle's quad rail just to jack with dudes at the local range when we can't make it out to Mica's 1,000 yard range. It's on a QD base of a company that makes an awesome armadillo spice rub.

I'm embarrassed, LMAO, and proud at the same time. </div></div>

i defiantly would believe this, id have to hear why and what questions he gets>..............LOLLOLLLOl

have a range 5 min from me that is like most of ya'll described they wont let you shoot prone or draw from a holster becuase as it was put to me " we know you shoot that way but if others see you do it they will want to do it. and its a saftey thing is kinda sucks going there if i'm on the 100yds range(farthest the shoot out to) and someone wants to put up a target on the 7 yrd line they have to call the entire range cold since there are mot any burms seperating the pistol from the rifle area. now i take the 40 mile drive to a private club where if you arre pistol bay 5 you are the only one aloow there unless you invite them in to shoot that bay. no rso's unless its a match since everyone follows the strick rules or are kicked out of the club.
i mainly stay at the 300 and they are the regulars who shoot some prone some bench we all get along good if you want to set up a target you wait until who ever is firing is done with his/her string then they call it cold not you .

Had a friend give me a bunch of 270 brass. Dont have a 270 so i bumped em up to 06 and fed em to my garand. Old fart picks up a piece of my brass and reads the headstamp. Stops me from firing and spends the next 15 mins telling me im an idiot and im going to blow up my gun and its people like me who get other people at the range.

You think prone is bad try shooting offhand at the 200 yd. Every douche canoe in a mile guna come up and talk to you. Had a guy tellin me that my sr target was really big so i hung 2 up at 200 gave him my ar and 10 rounds and watched him shoot a 5 and a 6 and 8 rounds in the dirt. that shut him up

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Johnny Sasaki</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dk17hmr</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> you should go on that Top Shot show on history channel. </div></div>

Lol, to be perfectly honest, I don't know how those people get on that show. Almost all of them are terrible shots.
whistle.gif
</div></div>

ya just fill out the application, tie a video to it.

unfortunately you have to spend 30 days in Ca. before you even get to the final string.

so if your a decent shooter of many things, you get to go to the next level. your staring down at least taking 60 sick / vacation days from your real job.

so i guess not really having to do anything for 2 months is a prerequisit.

sorry for the off topic comment.

but i hear ya about the advice sessions....i don't mind except when i really want to send lead downrange and the retard doesn't have enough sense to go back and leave you alone after you've dedicated enough time to his or her cause. all of a sudden your his "big brother" or something.

that's why i like m. brakes, they are like retard repellant, keeps them at least 20 ft away.

it is kinda fun hitting them in the head with hot .223 brass out of an AR. they get the hint at that point that they should move on.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: a-hull</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I always get asked at least once, " Is that a sniper rifle?"
One guy was looking at my rifle and said really seriously
"that's a real nice weapon system." It is really hard not to laugh. </div></div>

Was cleaning the M40's at the armory one day and a marine from another company comes up timidly and asks dead serious "is that a sniper rifle?" Was too shocked to come up with a smart ass remark so I just said "yeah."

Shankster, we need a picture of this dildo rifle at the range.