• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Why is re barreling so expensive?

JS624

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
May 10, 2014
Washington
A new kreiger barrel is roughly 350$ for my rem700. Yet it seems like it's always over 1000 bucks to have it installed? What makes the cost jump up so much? What goes into putting the new barrel on?

Depends on what else your having done. 1000 in labor will get the action trued, a custom bolt handle, a muzzle brake, pillar bedded and a full camo Cerakote job around here. Just installing a barrel should be between $100 and $350 depending again on what all is done..

Yeah, there's no reason to pay that much unless your smith is a legend in his own mind or you "worked on it" first...
There are a number of decent smiths in the Pacific Northwest that you can turn to....
Stay clear of whomever quoted you $1K....

Installing a barrel includes threading and chambering. Prices do vary but in looking at several reputable gunsmith's web sites, prices seem to run somewhere between $300 and $350 on the high end. My relatively local smith charges $325 for truing the action, chambering and installing the barrel (this does NOT include cost of the barrel).

I agree with others, $1000 is too much...look elsewhere.

A new kreiger barrel is roughly 350$ for my rem700. Yet it seems like it's always over 1000 bucks to have it installed? What makes the cost jump up so much? What goes into putting the new barrel on?

You should have about $275-350 for it to be chambered, another $100-150 to thread and install a supplied muzzle brake depending on whether it gets indexed and the cost to get cerakoted.

See the sticky in this forum.

http://www.snipershide.com/shooting/sniper-hide-gunsmithing/79698-video-truing-remington-700-a.html

My smith charged me $660 for all of the machine work and around $350 (which is cost) for the barrel. So yes, $1K total isn't unusual. If you want just the barrel installed and no work done on the action or bolt, then expect to pay about $600 total w/ barrel.

Some people get lucky and get a really accurate 700 out of the box.

Btw, just like I was told, don't rebarrel your 700 unless there is something truly wrong with your setup. Most of the time, the reason why a stock Rem doesn't shoot is the nut behind the gun. I'd look at other things like, triggers, stocks, optics and reloading before you EVER consider a new barrel.

If you are shooing 1/2 to 3/4 MOA with a stock gun, is another 1/4 MOA worth that much money?

-JD-

Yea I'm not ready to re barrel yet I've always just wondered. Thanks you guys for the help much appreciated. Least now I know what I'm paying for when I do decide to have it done.

Back when I first started shooting I tried to beat up on a smith here on the hide about his prices for chambering a barrel for me. I received a pretty good ass chewing to say the least. Now several years later and after having my own equipment and chambering barrels for other shooters, I understand completely where this particular smith was coming from.
The cost of the equipment to properly chamber a rifle barrel isn't cheap. Then there is the time involved and the risk of doing the work. Oh ya and then there is dealing with people like I once was. Taxes and insurance, tool wear, rapping and shipping hassles, it all matters. I figure it will take me 4 hours to properly complete a barrel. That's everything from slugging to cutting, lettering and shipping, at 150$ you can see what my hourly rate is. Not all that glamorous.
I don't bitch about prices much anymore, if its something I need or want, pay the man! Lee

It depends upon what you want done to the action. If you want a full up blueprint job on a remington M700 plus cerakoting, new bolt handle, etc. then it'll likely cost $1000. If you just want the action faced, lugs lapped, and the barrel chambered and bead blasted then I wouldn't expect to pay more than $250 plus the cost of the barrel. The second option will likely get you a rifle that shoots just as well as the first.

Some gunsmiths are just overpriced too. I'm lucky that I've found a few gunsmiths that do great quality work for a reasonable price. It seems like most gunsmiths that advertise as catering to the "tactical" crowd seem to charge about twice as much as normal. Find someone who builds a lot of match rifles and he'll likely do better work at a better price. Those guys typically don't advertise much.

My Smith just picked up mine, and I supplied the barrel. He quoted me $150 to true up the action and install the new blank and bead blast it. He is an old timer and his work is outstanding. Sounds like I am getting a good deal.

Barrel Install Only, bead blasted, no paint
Barrels $350
Receiver truing is $250 to $300
Custom PTG Recoil Lugs $50
Chambering $250 to $300
Bead blast barrel $40

Install price $940 to $1,040, barrel included

Add Pillar Bedding $300 (receiver and DBM)
Cerakote $250 to $300 all metal
Muzzle Threading with cap $175 or Muzzle Brake $250
Stock Paint $125 one color to $300+ custom multi color/camo

$1,025 to $1,100 for added extras to include custom camo paint.
New total $1,900 to $2,100+

Factor in the cost of the machine, machine run time and related wear, tooling and holders with wear, coolant/lubricants, measuring instruments/devices, electricity for said machine, phone, internet etc., etc., etc. It adds up quick, all of this before you put a dime in your pocket.

If I build a rifle for myself using a custom receiver I'm in it at $2,500+ for just parts. Using a trued Remington 700, maybe $2,000 ish. This game isn't cheap for anyone. It stings but, accuracy or horse power, it's all about the dollar. Cubic Dollars or Minute of Dollar, it's the same thing.

Find a smith that you trust and move forward.

My Smith just picked up mine, and I supplied the barrel. He quoted me $150 to true up the action and install the new blank and bead blast it. He is an old timer and his work is outstanding. Sounds like I am getting a good deal.

That's one hell of a deal. almost too good to be true but, I've heard of another smith with prices very close to these. I believe "Nobody" aka Larry used him for his rifles.

That's one hell of a deal. almost too good to be true but, I've heard of another smith with prices very close to these. I believe "Nobody" aka Larry used him for his rifles.

The Smith lives down by Baker City, OR. He brings his wife up to the Walla Walla, WA area for Dr. appt. Makes it pretty handy to hand it off to him, then get it back when he brings the wife back. Turn time is 2-3 weeks. Very nice man, Dennis is the name.

I would venture to guess no one could chamber and install barrels perpetually for $150. A reamer and gauge alone is $200-$300. A bucket of cutting oil is $135. I just don't see it unless it's old reamers, equipment and has another source of income. The only other way would be a high speed high volume operation where they are slamming out a bunch of barrels a day. I would be wary of either.

I would venture to guess no one could chamber and install barrels perpetually for $150. A reamer and gauge alone is $200-$300. A bucket of cutting oil is $135. I just don't see it unless it's old reamers, equipment and has another source of income. The only other way would be a high speed high volume operation where they are slamming out a bunch of barrels a day. I would be wary of either.

Hey Straight Shooter, he comes highly recommended by a long range local respected shooter here in Walla Walla. The Smith has done work for him and his friends, and think I am lucky to have been introduced to him. I have seen his work, and my buddy who just got a 6XC back, says it hammers! I will let you know how it goes. He is retired and just does this for friends I believe.

Taxes and insurance, tool wear, rapping and shipping hassles, it all matters. I figure it will take me 4 hours to properly complete a barrel. That's everything from slugging to cutting, lettering and shipping, at 150$ you can see what my hourly rate is. Not all that glamorous.
I don't bitch about prices much anymore, if its something I need or want, pay the man! Lee

Have you done the math to figure out what your hourly rate is after subtracting tooling costs, reamer wear, etc? I'd be interested to see what the end result is, it can't be much above minimum wage.

Red SC
I suspect you are spot-on. If more than a hobby operation, that is one heck of a deal!

J,
Times have changed since '62 when I had my first Douglas barrel put on an old '98 Mauser, it was chambered in 219 Donaldson Wasp. It cost me $36.00, $18.00 for a xx premium blank and $18.00 for labor. Still shoot that barrel on an old Springfield bench gun now chambered in 22 BR. We shot local matches all the time, gradually improving our equipment on the way. It came to the point where we had to start doing the work ourselves not only for cost but for time and quality control. Guess the costs never get less though as it seems you always need something. You are going to pay either way you do it. Dale

J,
Times have changed since '62 when I had my first Douglas barrel put on an old '98 Mauser, it was chambered in 219 Donaldson Wasp. It cost me $36.00, $18.00 for a xx premium blank and $18.00 for labor. Still shoot that barrel on an old Springfield bench gun now chambered in 22 BR. We shot local matches all the time, gradually improving our equipment on the way. It came to the point where we had to start doing the work ourselves not only for cost but for time and quality control. Guess the costs never get less though as it seems you always need something. You are going to pay either way you do it. Dale

Times haven't really changed all that much unfortunately:

Measuring Worth - Results

In 2013, the relative value of $36.00 from 1962 ranges from $214.00 to $999.00.
A simple Purchasing Power Calculator would say the relative value is $277.00. This answer is obtained by multiplying $36 by the percentage increase in the CPI from 1962 to 2013.

This may not be the best answer.
The best measure of the relative value over time depends on if you are interested in comparing the cost or value of a Commodity , Income or Wealth, or a Project . For more discussion on how to pick the best measure, read the essay "Explaining the Measures of Worth."

If you want to compare the value of a $36.00 Commodity in 1962 there are three choices. In 2013 the relative:
real price of that commodity is $277.00
labor value of that commodity is $304.00(using the unskilled wage) or $371.00(using production worker compensation)
income value of that commodity is $589.00

If you want to compare the value of a $36.00 Income or Wealth , in 1962 there are three choices. In 2013 the relative:

historic standard of living value of that income or wealth is $277.00
economic status value of that income or wealth is $589.00
economic power value of that income or wealth is $999.00

If you want to compare the value of a $36.00 Project in 1962 there are four choices. In 2013 the relative:

historic opportunity cost of that project is $214.00
labor cost of that project is $304.00(using the unskilled wage) or $371.00(using production worker compensation)
economy cost of that project is $999.00

An ounce of gold bought you a nice suit in the 1800's. Same ounce today buys the same nice suit.

C.

For what good equipment costs I would gladly pay someone to barrel my action. The machines are one thing but tooling and cutters add up fast, ask my wife.

Casey

I'm not a gunsmith but, I try to tell my customers cost of fuel, materials,wear and tear on my truck machines and other tools, my cut for doing the work, taxes bla bla blaaa. The dollar don't go far nowadays. Hard to make easy to spend. If he is good, it's piece of mind. Jmo

300 Yards.jpg400 Yards.jpg500 Yards.jpg

I indicated I would report back and let you all know how that new Bartlein barrel shoots after my smith did the re-barrel for $150, and he bedded it for an additional $50. So, total cost was $200, including the friends 7mm mag that I reported that I JB welded to the original stock. He broke that apart and re-bedded it. I tried the 105gr Hornady BTHP's and was not satisfied. I then bought some of the Berger 105 Hunting VLD's. Here are 4 shot groups at 300, 400 and 500. My goal was to decide between the H4350 and the H1000. The H4350 is averaging 3112 ft/sec and the H1000 is averaging 3033 ft/sc. How about you experts out there, would you say I am good to go on the H4350 load and call it good? Thoughts or comments please...Thank you all very much for all your help.
LoanHarvey

Have you tried sitting down with this gunsmith and ask him what is done for this price or what all are you asking him to do? If you have concerns you should be able to sit down and talk it over, that would be part of getting to know a guy and starting a working relationship at this shop. It would also let you know if it would be better to keep looking.

That's one of the main reasons I bought an AI.

I re-barreled it in my garage in 20 mins the 1st time. Probably knock it out in 5 next time.

350 for the blank, 350 for chambering and threading and I'm done.