• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Why isn't the Magpul Hunter Stock more popular?

Winny94

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
  • Nov 19, 2013
    I personally love this stock and would choose it over a Boyds, B&C, H-S, etc. level stock, but why isn't it more popular across the board? Is it the manually adjustment for comb and LOP? Because it doesn't easily accept AICS mags? Something else?

I got behind one before a match a while back. Wasnt for me. For a plinker or maybe hunting, sure. Just didnt fit me.

a few reasons...

1) its still fairly new....only been out a few years

2) Limited action availability

3) its a good stock....but its still a polymer stock, and you can get into a greyboe for not much more

4) its not terribly attractive

its a great choice for someone building a hunting rig....or someone building a PRS rig on a budget.......but generally shooters like more attractive stock, or more bells and whistles....i mean lets face it, 95% of shooters really have no actual need for an aftermarket stock....hell, a bedded wood stock will probably cover just about everyone here...........but we replace stocks because we want something with style or looks exotic.......and the Magpul is just kinda....meh.

I just bought one for a Remage 6.5CM setup I don't think it's unattractive at all and its an expensive way for a lot of Remington 700 owners to upgrade and get into a DBM. Does it compare to my Manners? no, but its also about a 1/4 of the price. I actually wish they would make one for a Tikka CTR that would allow the use of CTR mags.

I'm a MagPul fan, but this stock has very limited appear other than upgrading a crap factory Rem stock. It's too heavy to be a hunting stock and does not have the right features to be a PRS stock. The grip is also thin and a weird angle.

Reactions: aljones_315
    I'm a MagPul fan, but this stock has very limited appear other than upgrading a crap factory Rem stock. It's too heavy to be a hunting stock and does not have the right features to be a PRS stock. The grip is also thin and a weird angle.

What features do you think it's missing to be a PRS stock? I persoNall wished it had mlok slots closer to the mag well for a barricade stop

Reactions: aljones_315
    I bought one for my first PRS style match rifle. I wanted to build a budget rifle to make sure I liked shooting those matches then upgrading. I really liked the stock but not for that style shooting. For me it was the grip. It's too thin and not the right angle. It's just not great for precision shooting when compared to others. That's a great stock for hunting or a beginner stock for tactical shooting.

A friend has one with a medium Palma contour .260 in it. Off a bipod, there is barely any clearance to get it free floating. Once everything heats up, the stock flexes even more and is no longer free floating.

I like it for what it is. I bought the Remington 700 Magpul rifle in 260. I think it is a great beginners option like has been stated, and it's a great secondary or backup option.

Most, if not all, active competitors want something nicer and more tailored to what they need/want for comps.

I feel it's definitely better than a Boyd's stock and as good as a B&C - which I have with a PTG dbm.

When they come available this Fall for the Ruger American I am buying one for my daughter's RARR in 300 blackout.

+1 It's ugly and it's plastic. Not really an upgrade in any way.;)

Paul

This^^

To me, it's not 'budget,' it's cheap. I like and use a lot of Magpul products for gas guns; but this was a fail. Sometimes cheap isn't good and good isn't cheap. If you want to upgrade you may need to save up and do it right. The Magpul stock is marketed to the instant gratification crowd that has a limited budget. It feels like they're "preying" on people.

This^^

To me, it's not 'budget,' it's cheap. I like and use a lot of Magpul products for gas guns; but this was a fail. Sometimes cheap isn't good and good isn't cheap. If you want to upgrade you may need to save up and do it right. The Magpul stock is marketed to the instant gratification crowd that has a limited budget. It feels like they're "preying" on people.

Interesting. Have you actually shot with one? What in particular makes it cheap? I can totally understand not liking the grip and wishing there were more attachment points, but I don't see anything 'cheap'. Low cost, yes. but not cheap.

Interesting. Have you actually shot with one? What in particular makes it cheap? I can totally understand not liking the grip and wishing there were more attachment points, but I don't see anything 'cheap'. Low cost, yes. but not cheap.

I was thinking the same thing... to imply that a stock with an aluminum bedding block isn't an upgrade over the cheesy plastic crap that many (most?) modern bolt guns are bolted into is somewhat disingenuous, IMO.

Is the Magpul Hunter in the same league as Manners, McMillan, etc...? No, but neither are they priced in the same league. I see them kind of in the same league as B&C... relatively limited in terms of available configurations/finishes, none of the gee-whiz features (carbon fiber shell, folding butt, tool-free adjustments, etc...) available; but if it works for your gun/use case, it's a step up from the Flexi-Flyer OEM stocks at a price that is palatable to the average Joe.

Is it the answer for everyone? No, but neither is any other product.

I have one and found it a nice, solid stock for the money. I like more of a vertical grip and this one doesn't have it. It's also a bit thin. Both of those have been stated already, though. I've got mine set up as a 'loaner' rifle and don't shoot it much.

I always considered it more of a "buy it if your factory stock isnt free floating or is flimsy" kind of stock. Not that the Magpul stock feels super solid, it also feels a liiiittle flimsy to me, but i know it is better than many factory options.

But like what others have said, if your factory stock properly floats your barrel, the magpul doesnt do anything more other than add AISC compatability, and when people are looking to outfit their guns, they generally want to get the whole package (custom/comfortable fit, aesthetics, purpose-built features, etc...)

Personally i think its a great stock, but only when compared to a factory stock. I found the grip angle kinda.... Meh, didnt care for it.
    Looks wise, its not an upgrade at all. For a couple hundred more bucks you can get into a world class chassis, compatable with any AR style stock/grip you want etc... Frankly the guys who are building and upgrading guns for long range PRS/tactical matches, usually have the budget to buy higher end parts. So they do.

When they come available this Fall for the Ruger American I am buying one for my daughter's RARR in 300 blackout.

Same here. My son's RAR .223 stock sucks and the other options for adjustable chassis are too pricey for a kid's learner.

Reactions: bigdaddydmd
    I also acquired one thru a Rem.260 Magpul but the barreled action was what I was after and moved it to a Badger dbm'd H&S police stock. I was curious if the magpul stock was any good so I took the .223 barreled action that was in the police stock (which is very accurate) and tested it in the magpul stock with equal accuracy. Found it comfortable to shoot and like it for what it is.

A bit of a necrothread so forgive me. I have a proof barreled spartan that i like to use for hunting occasionally. Normally it resides in a manners which in addition too being heavy, has the wrong grip angle for quick off-hand use. Call me a princess, but also prefer not to beat up the manners in the quad or pickup truck.

Dropping the rifle into the magpul was a cheap way for me to put the gun on a diet (although a modest one) when i want to use it for hogs. I think it serves its needs well and for those of us who have a crapton of mlok hardware from carbines, its a nice alternative. I see no need for a dbm on a hunting gun and its nice to be able to throw the stock mag box in it and have a slick bottom rig for hunting.